• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 carb main jet ID

Mercer

Question please:

I am changing from K&N pods back to stock air box. C10 was bought/came that way.

The main jets are marked with the number 3 then a 4 very widely spaced apart. One main just has only a 3.
All four jets have one ring inscribed around jet head circumference. There are no other marks. The bike also had
a tune-able disc exhaust system. Those removed as well.

Anyone know the brand of these jets? Their numerical size? A cross reference perhaps?

Was putting on new throttle cables and figured would right this wrong while there.

Pods are in very good condition, but just am not a pod fan.

Any comment on jet brand and ID appreciated.

Last edited:
Oh the plot thickens. I decided to pull needle while carbs were out to and have look see.
Oh my my! No markings at all. Six groves, E-clip in third position from top. Two washers under
clip.

People used to install a Stage 1 -3 dynojet kits in their carbs.
The parts your describing sounds like you have one of those kits.
If you look at the bottom of your slides, it's possible that your slides are drilled, and/or the springs are replaced with lighter springs.

Here is a complete Connie Rebuild kit with all stock jetts.
Compared to buying just the jetts from Kawasaki, this is probably cheaper.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
PS: Never have gotten better than 33 mpg. Always surprising as am very light on throttle.
People used to install a Stage 1 -3 Jett kit in their carbs.
The parts your describing would mean that you have one of those kits.
If you look at the bottom of your slides, it's possible that your slides are drilled, and/or the springs are replaced with lighter springs.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks for link Ted! That is a good deal, Very good deal!

However have a spare set of stock needles. So will put those in.

Next question is did they change the needle jet holder that the main jet screws into in the day
when the needle was changed? Are they matched sets?

Damn, sure hope I am not screwing up......... as except for slow throttle return and 33 mpg bike was running great.

Last edited:
dynojet kits are notoriously rich and give lousy fuel economy. Stock main jets are 125 for US ans 130 for cali. Check the pilot jets too, they should be #80 drill, .013". Larger than .014" and it's going to really get into the fuel economy.

Just an editorial comment... anyone can jet a carb or set up EFI rich and make it run well, smooth, etc. The trick is getting the best qualities AND good fuel economy. Folks seem to overlook that part til it seems like there's a hole in the gas tank.

Steve

dynojet kits are notoriously rich and give lousy fuel economy. Stock main jets are 125 for US ans 130 for cali. Check the pilot jets too, they should be #80 drill, .013". Larger than .014" and it's going to really get into the fuel economy.

Just an editorial comment... anyone can jet a carb or set up EFI rich and make it run well, smooth, etc. The trick is getting the best qualities AND good fuel economy. Folks seem to overlook that part til it seems like there's a hole in the gas tank.

Steve
Steve really appreciate the detail! Would like better mpg for sure.
Will certainly take a look all the more now.
Fortunately have a spare stock rack of carbs to compare with.
They are clean inside and out. Could just switch to them suppose.
But do not know their history beyond that they are clean.
Will use your specs here to check all.

Thx!

Steve thanks again for pilot jet check recommendation. Did not have a # 80 handy. Even though all were marked as 35s, However they appear to be enlarged as they refract bright light differently than known stock 35s. Perhaps they were drilled or reamed.

Your kind comment and timely details saved me some grief. Again I find myself in your debt.

People used to install a Stage 1 -3 dynojet kits in their carbs.
The parts your describing sounds like you have one of those kits.

Ride safe, Ted
Blew a jet into orbit around the shop with the air hose last night! Never could find it.
Ordered this kit to have as replacements. Ha!
Lets see if parts match up to stock.
Thanks Ted

Blew a jet into orbit around the shop with the air hose last night! Never could find it.
Ordered this kit to have as replacements. Ha!
Lets see if parts match up to stock.
Thanks Ted

Hopefully that's a decent kit . I'm always a bit leary buying from any site that can't spell " Concours "correctly . Let us know what ya think about it , the price is right for sure .

Hopefully that's a decent kit . I'm always a bit leary buying from any site that can't spell " Concours "correctly . Let us know what ya think about it , the price is right for sure .
I had the privileged of being the guest of the Chinese government for few weeks once. That and living here in Louisiana so long have humbled me about spelling. Though I do still share your fear of Evilbay products. Did you see those tapers and pointy ends on the needles pictured!?

I just looked at the jet kit. WHEW... scary. I wouldn't even think about using that until I had mic'd the needles at several different points, and guaged the jets. Lot's could go wrong with the wrong needle tapers or jet sizes, and you'll always be wondering about why the fuel economy sucks so bad, or why it has flat spots and hesitations. What the slide needles are made out of and how they are surface hardened is a big deal too. Soft needles will be worn out in 5000 miles. I'm not saying the kit is bad, but the keihin parts are precise, and cost a lot more than this kit.
Steve

I agree. I originally posted as he didn't have correct jetts or needles in his carbs, & I did not know that he had a spare set of carbs.
But, I think (after measuring against correct originals) the pilot/main jetts should be ok.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Yeah Steve do have reservations. Will send it back if out of spec and unusable.

Is All Balls hardened by chance. Anyone know?

Thanks for point on hardening too!

Damn, can we download your brain's data set for posterity..................Do you have a flash for that yet?

I just looked at the jet kit. WHEW... scary. I wouldn't even think about using that until I had mic'd the needles at several different points, and guaged the jets. Lot's could go wrong with the wrong needle tapers or jet sizes, and you'll always be wondering about why the fuel economy sucks so bad, or why it has flat spots and hesitations. What the slide needles are made out of and how they are surface hardened is a big deal too. Soft needles will be worn out in 5000 miles. I'm not saying the kit is bad, but the keihin parts are precise, and cost a lot more than this kit.
Steve
Well Steve you called it. You were right of course. Needles not in spec and pilot jets with out of spec threads. Did not check the rest. Sent back for full refund. Vendor accepted return shipping. Except for time lost was a nice experiment. One does wonder about All Balls kit too. But finished experimenting HA! Order Keihin.

OK, so maybe I'm missing something here, but I have to ask, since Steve is a part of this discussion....why not just order his "2-minute mod" kit and install that? You'll get the jets you need and the bike will run...as in RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN right, and if you are like me 45 MPG is not a problem. Since I installed his kit, all my carbs issues are in the rearview mirrors, as they say.

To answer what was missing. I started out replacing my K&N pods and a kit that came in my 1987 when purchased. This because though performance was very fine, gas millage never was better than 33 MPG in 6k miles. I had a spare stock set of carbs and airbox in very good condition from which to pirate jets and needles, etc. No brainer.

In process of blowing out stock pilot jets before installing them sent one off into space with the shop air hose. Next time will use a can. Ted posted a kit off ebay. Thought the extra parts might have been handy.

As Steve noted quality could be suspect. Yes it was!

Did not consider his 2-min mod parts. In checking just now on Steve's page he notes a "potential for better fuel economy". His other claims are enticingly worded however and more emphatic. His picture of kit did show 4 jets but did not show pilot jets. So for now it would appear am needing a pilot jet regardless. Personally would prefer to get bike to stock configuration before other considerations. Just a personal preference based on mission goal as stated.

Of note, some others here claim 45 mpg with and without Steve's very fine kit. I would suspect 45 to be optimistic but sure would like it if it were a truth. Soooo, if after getting this 87 C10 back to stock if I have the flat spot, Steves kit will be at the top of my list.

Again thanks to Steve for his pointer on the .013 pilot jet detail. The K&N kit jets though marked 35 were drilled larger. I would not be accomplishing the mission had I re-used these. As well thanks to all who comment here. Everyone's input is most appreciated. Once new pilot jets are in will continue posting on the progress.

Sorry about that. I thought the jetts themselves would have been fine. Good learning.
But, I'm still confused.
Aren't the main jets in your carbs oversized? {possibly a Dynojett Kit}

ie; Do you have stock mains? Do you have stock needles?

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry about that. I thought the jetts themselves would have been fine. Good learning.
But, I'm still confused.
Aren't the main jets in your carbs oversized? {possibly a Dynojett Kit}

ie; Do you have stock mains? Do you have stock needles?

Ride safe, Ted
Ted had everything, stock mains, needles and pilot jets and a good stock air box. I just blew one of the stock pilots into orbit and lost it.
Also had some kind of kit with K&N pods in my rider. It had non stock mains, needles, and 35 pilot jets that had been drilled
larger than stock. Performed great just poor gas mileage for as light as I am on throttle.

When you suggested the Ebay kit was thinking ah extra parts. Same as you. But alas kit had weird threaded pilots
and needles with a different taper. Rest of kit looked complete. But alas it had to go back to seller.

Waiting Keihin pilot jet set now.