• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

c10 project, naked.

m in sc

Street Cruiser
So, on here in the classifides i found a 2000 concours Ray was selling, and it was close to me. listed as a project or part sbike. since i can always use a few spares and my friend tom has an 01, i figured even if the motor had been locked up it was a no brainer.

so, a few weeks ago we sorted it out and picked it up, great experience, and i dragged it home. Now, it had been sitting outside, in Charlotte, under trees for 4 years due to family commitments, as I get it. But, damage was def done as happens.

since the front fairing had some damage and more importantly had been cut under the headlight, i had no use for it, so off it went. i saved everything else out of it as some is in way better shape than mince which had previously taken a RH spill.

anyway, upon getting it home and a trip to the carwash to get rid of the pine needles and leaves and 4 years of 'outside, i got it home and pulled the plugs, installed  a battery, disconnected the coils and spun it over. oil light immediately went out and compression with no sign of hydro-lock.  score.

the tank had a pinhole so no fuel, which actually probably saved it from that fate.

took about an hour of fiddling and disassembly but got it running on a remote tank, motor sounded healthy.

so of course, now to do everything else.  brakes: stuck. carbs, well, you know. leaves. leaking rear coolant log (rusted through).  clutch hydraulics flushed and bled. (had no action).  remove a lot of accessory wiring and the crash bars and light s (my buddy w the 01 is getting those).

and just general cleaning. need to seal the tank and replace the petcock , so still getting parts streaming ion now.

is is going to be some wild hot rod super modified naked concours? no, absolutely not.  more gpz with luggage and manners. the fairing has its place but ones enough. 

few pics here and there:

as bought:

200concours-as-bought_-2.jpg

2000-concours_early_15-rotated-e1596737021794.jpg

factory tool kit and plugs i pulled out. note the #1. #1 cap and wire i replaced as well, rainwater wasnt kind.

2000-concours_early_3-rotated.jpg

fairing birdcage, surprisingly not bent. this will eventually get transplanted onto my 99 which i KNOW is tweaked.

2000-concours_early_21-rotated-e1597243975174.jpg

filter had disintegrated, new one on way. this is what formed in the airbox.  cleaned it up when the carbs were off.

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_04.jpg

swept up the last of the pine needles, or so i thought.

2000-concours_early_18-rotated.jpg

quick mockup of a vintage vetter headlamp with new led insert, 7" have different ears coming, i hate the cheap emgos ones.

2000-concours_early_23-rotated-e1596737869619.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_06.jpg

EVERYONES FAVORITE: CARBS

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_09.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_01.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_10.jpg

bowls were re-cleaned after addition of overflows in ultrasonic. squeaky clean now.  :) the mixture screw caps were still in place, so had to drill and remove those as well.

as its currently sitting waiting for parts and the caswell tank sealer. luckily i had a spare good seat leftover from the 99. this will be on hold for a few days as i have the 2 stroke meet at deals gap this weekend and most of next week.

20200811_184010-scaled.jpg

as a funny note, when i got it running is when i discovered the failure of the rear coolant log. BUT, what also happened was there were still some rogue leaves and pine needles stuck above the header i hadnt seen. so, it was pouring water out the log AND simultaneously on fire on the front at the front of the motor. actual flames, not just smoldering.  :rotflmao: zero damage but its pretty funny, to me.
c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_02.jpg

:great: :great:

Nothing like an old Nekid Conni to make you feel good, and fuzzy.. I think they were always destined for this.. because they lend themselves well to the disrobing..

check Ebay for old GPZ900 gage clusters, plug and play.. you want the one with the full plastic shell on the back.. and 2 mounting tabs along the bottom..

thanks.  :beerchug: going to use a modern gauge with stepper tach and fuel gauge integrated, already have it actually.  the gpz gauges are too clunky on a naked bike for my tastes. IF i were to go with a small screeen, maybe, but i'm not. Also have a matching small digital water temp gauge that matches it.

sounds cool... I actually had a small fairing on mine, which worked well with the gages I picked up.. mine started out as a "parts bike" I got for $500, spent money to travel and tow it home, and made the mistake of "getting it started.."... welll.. you know what happens.. it bacme a money pit, but it was fun.. I ended up with like $3500 in parts I bought.. to do it "like I wanted.. "  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

Attachments

• zilla 1.jpg
    zilla 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 221
  • zilla 2.jpg
    zilla 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 187
brand new "old stock tank", was big bucks..

Attachments

• zilla gages.jpg
    zilla gages.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 189
  • zilla 3.jpg
    zilla 3.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 161
yeah, ive seen pics of your bike. gauges like that def work behind a screen.

I want the gauge to sit much lower, and going to fit lower round bars for sure. probably tuck the gauge in between the headlight and upper tree angled up a bit for visibility and lack of glare..  you'll see, should be pretty decent. benefit of no mechanical cables to route.  :beerchug:

I remember from a few months ago of the nekkid that had a GPZ fairing on it.
I’ll be watching this thread closely and hope to see it one day.
You’re not too far away.

Thanks for showing your project Connie. Did you install the float bowl overflow tube yourself?

Craig, yup.  the black one? that was pretty neat. I should have it road worthy -relatively- soon.

yes, i do all my own work except mount tires ( i hate it) and bore cyls. 
Thats the 3rd set ive done, according to some, done wrong by using loctite, having the height wrong, or whatever, but all 3 are fine. Not hard to do. 3.9~ mm hole, countersunk, and pressed in 4mm brass tube from hobby store  with loctite. scuff end of tube with scotchbrite.

been picking away at this while waiting for parts and just carving out time here and there.  Got back from 2 stroke meet and had a stack of parts waiting when i got home. 1st thing was the cooling system. i replaced all the hoses with the kit from murphs, and did the rear coolant log swap and thermostat housing o ring and cleanup.

20200821_152238-rotated.jpg

I did the rear coolant log swap with out pulling the carbs or airbox, was actually super easy. just steady pressure on the log, got RH side started first, then lh side. popped right in with a bit of grease on the orings. ( i bought  replacement log on ebay a few weeks ago)

coolant-sys_-4.jpg

replaced hardware with stainless as well while i was there.

flushed system a few times and came out nice and clear, so filled with coolant and zero leaks, heat cycled it a few times with fan coming on and going off on own a few times as well. good to go.

coolant-sys_-1.jpg

the fuel cap was a necessity since the old one was locked up solid, i took a drilling out of the original one to get off. I addressed the usual crappy air venting issue and its ready to go after i line the tank. Drilled a small hole up and then to the side cross drilling thru the main cap body to create a small vent, should work great. Also have a stock petcock rebuild kit in there.

20200821_171331.jpg

got some roll bar mounts to use as headlight ears, kinda clunky but i like them. they fit the bike, and will add turn signals later.  this is the old vetter headlight i mentioned above with 7" led insert.

headlight-vetter_-1-scaled.jpg

note 2 things: its running, and the bulb is in upside down. lol. i swapped it around right after this pic.

back of the housing:

headlight-vetter_-3-scaled.jpg

Since the brake splitter is all out there hanging in the way off the lower tree, i chopped off about 5/8" of the cast-in standoffs and was able to move it back allowing headlight to sit where i wanted.

also got oil changed and brakes are all serviced and freed up. hitting cycle gear to day to pick up some bars, maybe pro tapers.  the stock ones have to go. then its on to gauge mounting and wiring.

:beerchug:

Dang M in SC,
that's coming along so nicely.  and looks awesome.  almost makes me want to start a C10 Naked project of my own....

how do you patch a leaky fuel tank?  if i recall from the read above you will have to address that, right?

-tdbru

thanks.

caswell tank liner.

unfortunately the peg lowerers had to go since it was dragged down the road both ways at some point. one snapped in half just sitting on bike, the other had a big stress crack in it. glad i caught it before i rode it.  But, i did swing over to cyclegear and grab some protapers, risers, and cheesy red grips.

marked pin on control with anti seize, witnessed on the bar, drilled @5mm, done. all cables clear and smooth.

newbars_-1.jpg

newbars_-4.jpg

newbars_-3.jpg

newbars_-2.jpg

thanks.

few updates. all on one gauge added and wired, everything including fuel gauge works. I actually had to repair the sending unit, the brass strip from the contact to the wire tot he rheostat winding was broken at the bottom (no pics). that took a while to find.

Have a traitech tto digital water temp gauge coming as well, they are small so will mount behind the brake master. should be here Monday or Tues.

as far as the gauge mount, i ordered a shaft collar from McMaster, 1 1/8" id, milled one side flat, drilled and tapped 2 m5 holes. then the plate is just sheet 6061 i have many sheets of., traced the shape i want, cut it with the beverly shear, drilled the 2 mount holes and countersunk, and finished off with a dyna file and painted black.  its bent not because of a miscalculation, but there's a button on the back that needs to be accessible for setting up and the tripometer.  also allows for access to the clamp allen bolt to loosen the clamp and rotate gauge.

I'll draw up and 3d print a small shield for the gauge to keep the sun glare down later.

new rear tire as well, and swapped on the later chrome mufflers i had as spares as they were in much better shape than the ones on the bike cosmetically.

c102k-gauge_2-rotated-e1598636112841.jpg

c102k-gauge_1-rotated-e1598636172707.jpg

c102k-gauge_3.jpg

c102k-gauge_5.jpg

c102k-gauge_4.jpg

mufflers_-1-rotated-e1598636198203.jpg

mufflers_-3-rotated-e1598636085159.jpg

mufflers_-4-rotated-e1598636140867.jpg

Very nice job. I'm liking the gage setup.
How does the gear indicator work? I know someone on here tried to put an aftermarket gear indicator on and I think there was not so good results as it would miss a gear change once in awhile.
I would probably look for seventh gear anyways as sometimes on the slab I think I have one more gear to go if I'm not looking at the rpms.
What makes me think I would look at a gear indicator display either???

im not going to use the gear indicator. you have to have a switch at the shift drum for that to work. and, i consider them fairly useless.  not being used it just stays blank.

I need to add a magnet to the wheel and set up the speedometer, thats all thats left on the gauge.  side note here, needs to be triggered (the tach) off the pickup coil, the stock tach output from the igniter doesn't work on this tach,  so i pulled  a signal off the blue wire off the 4 pin connector to the igniter box.

revving the motor doesn't bother me at all, most of my bikes are 2 strokes after-all. 6k is cursing speed for me on a few of them.  :motonoises: i never found the need on the 99 for another gear, i know others feel differently though. 

Good update:
got tank sealed over weekend. cleaned tank out and soldered up the dreaded low spot pinhole. finished it abit after ts and is now patch painted to match pretty well. used caswell was ready in a day. got tank on, and added a trailtech temp gauge. this gauge also will show time and peak recorded per ride. came with hose fitting , like 50 bucks total. if you ever go this way, use the 25mm one. spliced it into the upper radiator hose sitting at idle, the fan kicks on at water there at 203F.

tankseal-1.jpg

tankseal-2.jpg

tankseal-3.jpg

i also rebuilt the stock petcock, no issues there except the screen disintegrated. I have some stainless mesh material we use at work, 20 mocron, so used that to make new screen inside the 'filter cage' on the petcock. then, surfaced the inside of the lever face on a whetstone. wors as designed, zero leaks. still running an inline cutoff like my other c10. 'just in case'

temp-tank-testride_6.jpg

machined the brake master clamp to make a temp gauge mount base:

temp-tank-testride_1.jpg

painted gauge black to let it sort of blend in.

temp-tank-testride_5.jpg

with all that, took it out for its first test ride. went really well, got about 3.5 gallons of fuel in tank, and thankfully the sending unit repair was good and the fuel gauge worked. its really really good naked, feels like a totally different bike. was out maybe 15 minutes as the front tire is old and i don't trust it strictly on age. also i need to bed the brake pads in.

temp-tank-testride_2.jpg

temp-tank-testride_3.jpg

what i still need to do is:

hook up speed sensor for speedometer, mount horn, front turn signals (which i have), and make cosmetic radiator side covers. Also, front tire.

one thing i did notice on the ride was the bar adapter was NOT drilled straight. the 2 holes for the adapter was .8mm off, which on the long span of bars was noticeable when riding. so, took it off, elongated one of the holes to correct it on my mill, and its fine now. this was in relation to the upper tree, (there was no forks alignment issues).

All sorted now. No leaks, no issues, not unknown noises.

Its really good, looking forward to some good rides in the fall, the GF was digging it last night when she came over. needs a few more test rides before I trust it, but I'd say its 95% done.

bit of an update. got the new ft tire fit, the speedo sensor, and trimmed the front fender as it looks ridiculous with the fairing off. also made a new emblem for the back cover. Only thing left to really do is a bit of trimming on the headlight cover and reseal the clutch slave cyl (kit on way from murphs)

ftfender-etc_04.jpg

ftfender-etc_05.jpg

repurposing the part i cut off the fender

ftfender-etc_09.jpg

ftfender-etc_11.jpg

trim lines in green to reshape.

cut-line-ftcowl.jpg

ftfender-etc_13.jpg

thanks. roll of painters tape for side radius and can of shop towels for main one and a sharpie, cutoff wheel and a flap wheel. 🤣

You have inspired me sir!!!! I picked up Jeff Newman’s ‘95. And have started her resurrection. I’d love to see some of the details on how you are handling the wiring loom up front.

Good work as always Mark! Hat's off to you! You really do have the eye for custom work. Are you gonna open a retro custom shop when you retire and start your next career? 21 might be the year for a two stroke. Let me know if there is a deal that is too good to pass up.

thanks guys.

the wiring was pretty easy. its stock up to to the 2 large plugs that go to the fairing. i used the 2 large plugs from the fairing and wired from there, so it still unplugs. then i trimmed back the stock wiring from those plugs (on the fairing side) and wired in everything from there. I removed a lot of the stock stuff, and it all fits in behind the neck under the tank nicely.

WOW ... I'm definitely impressed Mark. I knew when we met it was going to a good home. I also see why I would never have the time to get it restored correctly, easier to buy another bike. I am really looking forward to meeting up now and going for a ride, see the old girl in action. You really have a talent for how to do this work. This should be written up as an article for Concourier as inspiration to everyone else who only can dream of doing such a fantastic job. That you have done this in such a short time is even more amazing, getting it running the day you brought it home, well I was astounded when you told me that! Keep us all informed as the project comes to an end. Can't wait to see her again! (y)

6 ish till 9 pm. Just did the fork seals last night so its good to go. I'll have it im sure a very long time, so no worries there, i dont build to sell.

From Sunday, 4 1/2 hours out over 120+ miles , made a few stops. zero issues. Actually, I led the ride of about 9 bikes. Did well. everyone really liked it. Made the Z1000 work pretty hard for a pass at 108 mph on a back road once or twice. :p
c101.jpg

c102.jpg

Thought of putting gaitors on the forks to protect/add bulk/detract from rake? It is a personal taste thing. I know I could not stand even the stock ZX-10 front fender once I went extra nekkid and I trimmed the front fender back. Anyway, I like what you did!

thanks.

no, i hate gaitors on bikes that didn't need them stock. I have 2 bikes that have them my t500 and 67 kawi (external upper springs). i don't mind the fork rake. dude down the street called it 'the chopper' 🤣

So, on here in the classifides i found a 2000 concours Ray was selling, and it was close to me. listed as a project or part sbike. since i can always use a few spares and my friend tom has an 01, i figured even if the motor had been locked up it was a no brainer.

so, a few weeks ago we sorted it out and picked it up, great experience, and i dragged it home. Now, it had been sitting outside, in Charlotte, under trees for 4 years due to family commitments, as I get it. But, damage was def done as happens.

since the front fairing had some damage and more importantly had been cut under the headlight, i had no use for it, so off it went. i saved everything else out of it as some is in way better shape than mince which had previously taken a RH spill.

anyway, upon getting it home and a trip to the carwash to get rid of the pine needles and leaves and 4 years of 'outside, i got it home and pulled the plugs, installed a battery, disconnected the coils and spun it over. oil light immediately went out and compression with no sign of hydro-lock. score.

the tank had a pinhole so no fuel, which actually probably saved it from that fate.

took about an hour of fiddling and disassembly but got it running on a remote tank, motor sounded healthy.

so of course, now to do everything else. brakes: stuck. carbs, well, you know. leaves. leaking rear coolant log (rusted through). clutch hydraulics flushed and bled. (had no action). remove a lot of accessory wiring and the crash bars and light s (my buddy w the 01 is getting those).

and just general cleaning. need to seal the tank and replace the petcock , so still getting parts streaming ion now.

is is going to be some wild hot rod super modified naked concours? no, absolutely not. more gpz with luggage and manners. the fairing has its place but ones enough.

few pics here and there:

as bought:

200concours-as-bought_-2.jpg

2000-concours_early_15-rotated-e1596737021794.jpg

factory tool kit and plugs i pulled out. note the #1. #1 cap and wire i replaced as well, rainwater wasnt kind.

2000-concours_early_3-rotated.jpg

fairing birdcage, surprisingly not bent. this will eventually get transplanted onto my 99 which i KNOW is tweaked.

2000-concours_early_21-rotated-e1597243975174.jpg

filter had disintegrated, new one on way. this is what formed in the airbox. cleaned it up when the carbs were off.

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_04.jpg

swept up the last of the pine needles, or so i thought.

2000-concours_early_18-rotated.jpg

quick mockup of a vintage vetter headlamp with new led insert, 7" have different ears coming, i hate the cheap emgos ones.

2000-concours_early_23-rotated-e1596737869619.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_06.jpg

EVERYONES FAVORITE: CARBS

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_09.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_01.jpg

c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_10.jpg

bowls were re-cleaned after addition of overflows in ultrasonic. squeaky clean now. :) the mixture screw caps were still in place, so had to drill and remove those as well.

as its currently sitting waiting for parts and the caswell tank sealer. luckily i had a spare good seat leftover from the 99. this will be on hold for a few days as i have the 2 stroke meet at deals gap this weekend and most of next week.

20200811_184010-scaled.jpg

as a funny note, when i got it running is when i discovered the failure of the rear coolant log. BUT, what also happened was there were still some rogue leaves and pine needles stuck above the header i hadnt seen. so, it was pouring water out the log AND simultaneously on fire on the front at the front of the motor. actual flames, not just smoldering. :rotflmao: zero damage but its pretty funny, to me.
c102k-cleanup-run-8-10-20_02.jpg

Nice job, congrats on saving the old girl from slow death. I like everything you did.
Just my 2 cents, i would probably trim the rear fender.

If you get rid of the giant license plate light and move the plate up, you can trim the rear fender just below the turn signals.

I love to watch these naked projects unfold, as I have a project in the wings I hope to get to someday.

You have a very nice bunch of touches in your build, bike looks like it was meant to be that way.

Once you mentioned the trimmed front fender, and I looked at before and after, it was glaringly obvious how overwhelming that OEM fender was to the appearance of the bike.

Great use of the MC bracket to house the temp gauge.

Very interested to know what you used for the radiator side shrouds? Never seen that done before, and it looks real nice.