• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 vrs C14

Dale_Eads_FL

Big Wheel
I've owned 3 connies and curently have a 05 witch I love, but i'm thinking of purchashing a 09 C14. What are the differences? Handling, weight,etc.

I've had a Connie since 4/86. Still have my second, my '95. Combined mileage of over 370,000. Bought an '08 C14 one year ago and have 7500 on it. The 14 is taller, heavier, faster, handles better, brakes better, gets worse mpg. I feel I sit "on" the 14 as opposed to sitting "in" the 10. I think a lot of that is I have lower bars are my 10, as a result I sit more upright on the 14. The 14, while taller, does not feel as top heavy - better weight balance and smaller tank maybe? The bars are about an inch wider than the 10's, which caused me some hand problems till I got used to it. Too much pressure on the fleshy outside part of the palm. Also, the pegs are higher and further back in relation to the saddle. Also, the passenger peg mounting brackets force your heels out when riding on the balls of your feet - can you say pidgeon-toed? Did I mention the bike is tall? I know guys with less than 34" inseams who ride 'em, but to me it would be scary only getting one foot down on a bike this heavy. The stock saddle sucks for some, is great for others. Oh, and no way to mount up highway pegs of any sort if this is important. Windscreen sucks in any position but down. But like the saddle, too subjective to be meaningful, you may be happy with it. I'm sure there's more, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe a specific question... ? :)

Thanks for the Info, that answers most of my questions. I lowered my 05 ,had the seat cut down and added bar risers this made a big difference. I only have about 5500 miles on It, all mountain miles. Maybe you know how it Is, this is the first time in years that i only own one bike.

There's a drippy, gooey love discussion here in the forums about the C14 where everybody who owns one drools over them. ;) I love my C10 though, not to say I'd turn down a C14 or that I don't openly want one, but it's kind of hard to convince myself to get another sport tourer (since I'd NEVER give up my C10) when there are other types of bikes I want to own. My next target is a KLR-650 I think to fill my adventure touring slot, then a small cruiser will come after, though which one is way up in the air. Cruisers are a pretty saturated market it seems, lots of choices from lots of makers. ;) Not that adventure touring is locked up by the KLR-650 by any means, but for all around functionality for the buck it's a hard bike to beat.

I'm with Brett in the "sure I want one, but I'm not out to get one" deal. My problem is primarily a financial one. I can't spend 10k+ on a bike. Then I can't insure one that carries a pretty big price tag there too. Oh yeah, I know I've lusted after that behemoth engine and the USD forks and killer brakes. Folks praise the handling and that makes me want one even more... so I'm building it a little at a time. I wanted more power... now I have it, in spades. I wanted to improve handling and eliminate the terrible dive I had before with the stock toothpick forks, not to mention the bling bling of USD forks... so I got em complete with with radial brakes and larger discs than the C14. I'm tired of play nursemaid to four 22 year old carburetors... so those are going away too in favor of injection. When I get done... sure, it won't be a C-14... but it will probably do what the C-14 does and more for less than half the cost... and I can still amaze the cop writing me that big ol ticket when I tell him, "It's a 1986 model sir." :eg: It's been said that pretty soon it'll be hard to convince folks I even have a Connie under that stuff... but just cuz it doesn't run like a Connie, or buzz like a Connie, or dive like a Connie, or stop like a Connie, or flop around corners like a Connie... doesn't mean it ain't a Connie. And besides, I'm having the time of my life playing with my second best girl. In concluding, I will probably continue to lust after the beauty and style, grace and power of the new platform that is the C-14... but even if I had one of them critters I'd be doing like Fred and so many others trying to make it better (dang straight it needs a turbo). :)

My C10 weighs 645lbs with a full tank of gas. My C14 is 685. These are measured weights, not from a manual or sales brochure. So yeah, it's heavier by 40 lbs. The handling is definitely a step up from the C10.

It is kinda apples n oranges. But my Conc's pork is by far its wurst attribute. I'm disapointed that the new 1 is also a heavy toad. The dinky 5.8 gal tank too. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh Over the Pond 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
y6xlq5.jpg
yrf2z1.jpg
yr5ihh.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I had the obligatory 20 minute test ride on a c-14 at Daytona. I was very impressed with the power and handling, and how the weight was well managed. A really solid platform. I also had a zzr1200 for a short bit, and to me the bikes were very comparable. Now a stock c-10? Not so much. Like Rev, I "fixed" the c-10's shortfalls to what I consider acceptable standards. at this point I don't lust for 14, I'm actually pretty impressed with the all around bike my c-10 has become. Now the bad part - it only took me 3.5 years and totalling a c-10 to get to this point. But wow, what a journey. Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Art takes patience, vision, creativity, and a sensitive muse. Shouldabeen is art. Dan's ZGRX is art. The Turbo is not yet art. Dang fast and fun, but it ain't yet art. If someone offered me a new C14 for the Turbo, well... I'd have to buy a bigger turbo to fit that sucker. :eg: I don't know, if i had a C14 I can't see myself havin as much fun. Half the fun is in the building and the C10 has more room to build stuff that the C14 already has.

thanks for the compliment Chuck. don't forget there's something called "performance art" - that's your bike for sure! one of the reasons we see room for improvement on the c-10 is that it's a dated design. Technology has marched on; the c-10 didn't. 20 years is the difference in wanting a 7th gear unit or not - in 86 with a 55 mph speed limit on the highway, who would want or need more engine or gearing than the stock c-10 had? therefore no need to look for improvememnts, the bike was state of the art. 20 years from now there will be lot's of improvements for the c-14, as it becomes old technology. Nessessity (and boredom) is indeed the mother of invention... Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Don't knock older technologies too much. No need for an electronics engineer when working on the C10. Hell, even I can do most stuff and that's saying A LOT.

This is a late reply to Jim Pavlis' observation regarding one of the late Jordan Krusoff's Laws of Desert Riding: "See Gas, Buy It." I think Jordan would be rather amused by the C14. I am not inferring anything bad, but that's the way Jordan was. After all, he thought the Ninja 900 was the most beautiful bike to come out Japan, Inc, but the only way he'd part with $$$ to buy one was to purchase two wrecked bikes and spend a winter teaching himself how to weld plastic. He then painted it Silverdammit, fabricated lowered pegs and foot controls, and then fabricated the most rugged mounting system I have ever seen for two Bates hard saddle bags. I rode that bike on a Three Flags, and it was quite functional, capable and comfy. I think he'd be a little amazed at all the stuff on the C14. The Original Rich Reed COG #7 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard 2004 Little Blue Chevy "Over the hill it's five bucks. Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

Don't knock older technologies too much. No need for an electronics engineer when working on the C10. Hell, even I can do most stuff and that's saying A LOT.
Stepping up to an FJR as I did, from a C10, I agree with Brett. The really neat thing about the C10 was that almost anyone can work on one. They are straightforward, simple machines to work on. The one regret I have with the higher tech bikes is that they leave people like me, who are not electrical engineers, out in the cold when it comes to working on these new bikes. I don't dare mess with the valve actuating system (shim under bucket) or anything to do with the ECU, the electrical, fuel and exhaust systems. It's all tied together in some mysterious electronic maze that simple minds like mine can't get ahold of. My old C10 was great for being easy on the wallet when it came to maintenance. Not so the FJR and by inference, the C14. ON THE OTHER HAND>>>>> Damn! I love my Feejer. Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

I've not ridden a C-10 so I have to defer to those of you who have and to a local friend who has owned both. As someone said, this is sort of an apples and oranges comparison. The technologies for the two bikes are more than a generation apart and, therefore, different. However, my C-14, now that I have it set up for my cycling needs, does everything I want it to do. I use a cycle for long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies, averaging about 15K miles per year. My changes were a new windshield with mods to protect my hands, heated grips and clothing for cooler/rainy weather riding, seat rebuild to allow my longer riding days, bar risers and foot peg lowering devices to help my aging joints, Audiovox cruise to help retain my driver's license, and a GPS for directions and tunes. I enjoy the C-14's smooth, easy, quiet power, the solid suspension, the great ABS brakes and the large rear cases. My inseam is 31" and I can easily flat-foot the bike. I would like to have a larger fuel tank (200 or so miles between stops is pretty short), it could be a bit lighter (mine weighs 690# Wet), the tires could last a bit longer (I'm getting 10K miles on Metzeler Z-6's) and the valve check interval could be longer (I am ready to do my first one now at 16K miles but will probably stretch the next one out to 25K miles or so). Overall, I like it and plan on riding it for the next couple of years.

I owned a 2002 C10 for 9 years. When I sold it a month ago to a retired MD state trooper, it had 116,000 miles on the old-fashioned odometer (which only showed 16,000). 98,000 of those were mine. Excellent motorcycle, served me well all those years, no major problems other than J-box replacement at 80,000 mi and clutch star spring (eplaced clutch at 100,000). Up to that time, the C10 was the best motorcycle I'd ever owned.

No more. I acquired a 2009 from a friend of mine, who replaced it with a new 2021. What a motorcycle! The power and comfort and "long-leggedness" is remarkable, as are the brakes and the handling. The C10 is a fine machine, but the C14 is superb in almost every way.

Things I liked about the C10 over the C14.
1. C10 took regular gas, perfectly happy with 87 octane regardless of brand. C14 requires high test, at least 90 octane. I like Sunoco 91. $$$
2. C10 fuel tank larger than C14. Fuel mileage on C10 slightly better, but both close enough.
3. C10 simple. C14 complicated.

Things I like about the C14 over the C10.
1. POWER corrupts absolutely. :)
2. Wheels easier to pull.
3. Wider selection of tires based on popular 17-in wheels v. the 18 front and 16 rear.
4. BRAKES! Wow!

My "new" 2009 C14 has 50,000 miles on the odometer, and is a more than capable replacement for the old faithful C10.

Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD

Good to share your thoughts, u very well might be influencing someone whose on the fence about upgrading to the c14.

When i chose to go c14 back in 2015, my only concern was the negative reviews for the 08 and 09 regarding the heat management. So i found myself a 2010 with a bunch of the upgrades i had on my c10, that i needed to continue with. Such as trunk, bar risers, better wind screen then stock.

And what i found was there is so many farkles available the personalize the bike to fit my needs.
So if someone else is on the bubble, just know that the support is there, and here within the COG community, for tech support and commorodery...

Dont be afraid to.make that leap, but i warn you hold on!! Cuz the c14 will fly if u let her......

You resurrected a thread from 2008.

So? Is that a bad thing? I found it relevant, .....
Well, he might have just been pointing it out to you as some don't notice the dates. Surprisingly (to me anyway) there are those that are so used to seeing "today's happenings" on facebook that they treat resurrected posts like 10 yr old mayonnaise discovered at the back of the fridge. Personally I prefer the forum type format where old posts aren't lost forever as they might as well be on the linear facebook scrolling forever world.
So well done marinick'. (y)
(sorry I'm off topic. I never owned a C10 so I can't add anything pertinent other than to recommend a c14 to anyone regardless of previous bike.)

Like the Ninja ZX14 and the Concours 1400, the C-10 progenitor was the Ninja 1000r and 900. It was designed with successful the off the shelf (for the most part) tech to compete with the BMW K100LT and it was definitely a hit. Kawi has always taken their strong gear and repurposed it to make bigger and better models. And I always wanted, but never owned a C-10 because I could clearly see the vision in it. Yet I did own and ride the lighter and faster 1987 1000r for a couple years. And while I really enjoyed the 1000r, I can't say I "loved" it like I have loved some of my other bikes. It was fast and exciting, but it was far from my favorite.

Now the Concours 1400, well that's an entirely different matter. I truly love my C-14 and I can't imagine ever selling my beloved Connie. When I sold the 1000r I never really gave it much of a thought beyond thinking I was moving on from high performance bikes with my age progression, but parting with my C-14 would definitely be a dagger to my heart - of that I have zero doubt. Sure I really like the new Goldwing DCT's and my old body would enjoy the comfort, but parting with my Connie to do it just cannot not happen! My C-14 may be present when they throw dirt on my coffin.

Those that have never owned a C-14 will never understand, it is just an amazing machine and all the spec sheets in the world just don't tell the story. Sure it has some draw backs, but so do other bikes. I have ridden the FJR 1300 and the Goldwing 1500 and 1800's and they are nice, but very low key and sterile in my opinion. I have a buddy that wants to GIVE ME his 2006 FJR 1300 (only 9k) and I'm just not excited enough about it to pull out the trailer and go get it. I have really liked the thought of owning a BMW K1600LT before I bought my C-14, and I am very glad I did not go that route because the C-14 suits me more than any other bike I have owned. And those that have C-10s and love them, I get it, and agree they are tremendous machines. But the C-14 is truly in it's own league, and those that own and love them get it as well. Not to mention they run like a sewing machine with little to no attention, day in and day out. Like like a high performance Goldwing LMAO.

I've owned 3 connies and curently have a 05 witch I love, but i'm thinking of purchashing a 09 C14. What are the differences? Handling, weight,etc.

Dale, please understand that I am not attacking or mocking you when I ask, why did you need to own 3 Connies (I assume they were all C-10's)?

I do recall my 1000r required a bit of attention from time to time, and the C-14 is nothing like that. In comparison it is almost maintenance free. I know I never have any carb issues with it for example after parking it for the winter. Sure the C-14 needs valves adjusted, but that is not unique to it. My 1400 is the closest thing to a Goldwing I have ever owned, without any of the Goldwing drawbacks. One thing is for sure, the Goldies last and last, and the new Connies are proving that they can also go into the late innings as well. I sold my 1000r because the engine was getting tired at 55K. But in all fairness to the 1000r, as the second owner I took good care of it, but I think the prior owner just kept gas in it and abused the hell out of it for 40K based on how it ran at 55K. Good bike, but too high stressed for the long haul.

Last edited:
Er, dale probably wont answer u sharkfuel.... he posted that info and started this thread 13YEARS ago...so dont be too disappointed if he doesnt answer...

I'm with Brett in the "sure I want one, but I'm not out to get one" deal. My problem is primarily a financial one. I can't spend 10k+ on a bike. Then I can't insure one that carries a pretty big price tag there too. Oh yeah, I know I've lusted after that behemoth engine and the USD forks and killer brakes. Folks praise the handling and that makes me want one even more... so I'm building it a little at a time. I wanted more power... now I have it, in spades. I wanted to improve handling and eliminate the terrible dive I had before with the stock toothpick forks, not to mention the bling bling of USD forks... so I got em complete with with radial brakes and larger discs than the C14. I'm tired of play nursemaid to four 22 year old carburetors... so those are going away too in favor of injection. When I get done... sure, it won't be a C-14... but it will probably do what the C-14 does and more for less than half the cost... and I can still amaze the cop writing me that big ol ticket when I tell him, "It's a 1986 model sir." 🇪🇬 It's been said that pretty soon it'll be hard to convince folks I even have a Connie under that stuff... but just cuz it doesn't run like a Connie, or buzz like a Connie, or dive like a Connie, or stop like a Connie, or flop around corners like a Connie... doesn't mean it ain't a Connie. And besides, I'm having the time of my life playing with my second best girl. In concluding, I will probably continue to lust after the beauty and style, grace and power of the new platform that is the C-14... but even if I had one of them critters I'd be doing like Fred and so many others trying to make it better (dang straight it needs a turbo). :)

Ok, ok, I really need to wonder about the logic on this one. And please, PLEASE understand that I am not saying or implying anything beyond exactly what I am saying so please don't think I'm calling your kid ugly or saying anything bad about you or anything else like that, because I am not. I trying to understand WHY you would do yourself and suggest others do the same when there are much cheaper and easier alternatives.

It is far more expensive to over time try to turn a C-10 into a C-14 equivalent because I have taken both of paths in my past and learned the hard and painful way that the gradual build is a massive money pit with the fake perception that you are saving money. I grew up on an island and just ask me about being a broke teen born to poor parents and trying to "improve" my boat to compete with my more fortunate friends. In the end I should have just saved all that cash and bought a boat I could be proud of from the start and came out well ahead. Because in the end, I owned a boat that was honestly "just ok" that I personally valued, but no one else did. In the end it wasn't a classic, nor did it have any notoriety adding any value beyond my ownership, when I left home in the military it was sold and parted out by the next owner. End of story and a sad ending at that.

I am in my second year with my 2011 C-14 that I bought before the start of the season last year for $5000. It has more than 5000 in farkles on it, was completely babied by the prior owner, and only had 19k miles on it. And this was not a unique purchase because there are plenty more out there in the 4 to 7k range, just maybe not in this forum were we tend to place a little more value on things than the actual resale market does. And I can only guess what that fuel injection system would cost, and in the end you have a 20+ year old 998 cc engine that can't come close to a stock 1400 powerplant when you could have been half way to C-14 instead of just a bolt on option for the C-10. And before you get mad, the C-10 powerplant and bike are completely awesome! They truly are. But you can invest $25,000 in it and it will never be a C-14 because it was never engineered to be so. After all, Kawasaki is pretty good at what they do. And I don't know about you, but if I was gonna spend 25K I would keep the C-10 intact, and buy a used C-14 AND a used H2R. I call that the best of all worlds.

Am I rich? Absolutely not! Do I have a lot of nice grown man toys? I sure do, more than most! And I OWN all of my gear, not the bank! But I also pinch pennies until they freakin scream because like I said before, I was born poor and had to learn to do a lot, with very little, if I wanted to enjoy the finer things in life. And what I learned early on was to avoid money pits when it came to things like vehicles if you ever want to own nicer things or your yard will became a junkyard full of "projects" that never seem to match the vision you had for them in your heart. That's just the reality of it. Some get it, and others don't.

In the end it's the original poster's choice, but I just feel good about telling someone considering a trip to the French Rivera that they can turn a trip to Manhattan into the French Rivera with a few upgrades on their NYC trip. I know there is no bad will involved because Rev is really good people and means well. But the slow build is for some a slow burn when it comes to their hard earned cash and not for everyone.

Last edited:
Er, dale probably wont answer u sharkfuel.... he posted that info and started this thread 13YEARS ago...so dont be too disappointed if he doesnt answer...

LMFAO! Nope, I doubt it as well. Didn't notice it was a "vintage post - thanks.

When I made the switch 6 years ago I sold The C10 right away thinking it wouldn't get ridden I was right . The 10 was nice but the 14 hits all the right buttons. What a machine.
I sold my mint 97' C10 when I purchased the the 17' C14 - kick myself in the butt for doing so... Wish I had kept it as a loaner or second machine. Would never turn the clock back and not purchase the C14 though, much more capable easily outperforming the C10 in all areas.

Lots of good info in here. Just a couple of things I might add.

there are touring pegs available that are easy to install. The AST pegs took me about 18 minutes start to finish...which is saying something as "wrenchin'" is not my thing. https://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_14_Touring_Pegs_p/c14-14.htm

I agree with the height. I had a fellow come over to my gas pump and start talking about the bike. He stood about 5'8. I told him he was free to sit the bike or try to straddle it. At 6'3 I had Seth Laam give me a little more seat height and put the Knight Design peg lowers on. I told the guy that if I were his height and I wanted a Sport tourer I would look at the FJR because I have friends that have lowered them successfully. We lowered the BMW R1100 to fit my 5'4 wife and shortened the kickstand. So.....my take is that the Connie is rideable for guys of a certain height and I encourage anyone looking to find one who owns a C14 qnd sit it.

THe tank is a known quantity. I get 200 miles out of a tank even with the Mountain Runner. Better on long trips as I don't twist the throttle on take off as much. The BMW has a larger tank and that little sewing machine sips gas like it's having tea and crumpets. Still....I am willing to get on and go from Muncie IN to Chatam VA at the drop of a hat ....and enjoy the smiles the whole way down.

Ok, ok, I really need to wonder about the logic on this one. And please, PLEASE understand that I am not saying or implying anything beyond exactly what I am saying so please don't think I'm calling your kid ugly or saying anything bad about you or anything else like that, because I am not. I trying to understand WHY you would do yourself and suggest others do the same when there are much cheaper and easier alternatives.
The signature machines of guys like SISF, Bergman, Rev Ryder, Jim Snyder and others all came to be before the C14 existed.

They were the leading edge of the C10 world - the pinnacle of 'what could be' to those of us who owned normal C10's. Thankfully these guys shared what they had done and how they did it enabling the rest of us to benefit by also tweaking our bikes in the areas we were able to.

Along that path you develop a connection to your machine that you have made your own and are loathe to part with it.

The arrival of the C14 was a whole new league of performance and refinement that I may yet own someday. Whatever happens, the ole C10 will always have a stall in my garage for as long as it lives.

Bottom line: Too many bikes to own, so little time.

I had 3 GTR1000 in the 80's and 90's, 1 GTR1400 in 2015, and now a 2000 GTR1000. I sold the 1400 because here in France till 2017 all bikes were castrated at 100hp and Kawasaki limited power on the 1400GTR badly, engine torque at low rpm was awful.
But even now that all bikes are authorized full power, I chose to buy another GTR1000/C10.

1000GTR's are more or less at the same low prices than in the US, but 1400GTR's are quite more expensive in Europe for equivalent mileage. It's impossible to find a GTR1400/C14 here even 1st version under 5500USD unless wrecked.

Also the 1000 protects better, has simpler and less expensive maintenance costs and much less electronics.
I'd say the C10 was designed as a pure GT like the BMW it was copying in the mid 80's, whereas the C14 was designed as a sports bike able to travel.
Even if the C14 engine is more powerful with better torque, I feel the C10 corresponds more to pure GT spirit, driving cool with excellent protection and lots of luggage.
I reckon also that riding the same bike than 30 years ago brings back great souvenirs and nostalgia and explains partly this choice !

I reckon also that riding the same bike than 30 years ago brings back great souvenirs and nostalgia and explains partly this choice !
Interesting perspective. As I mentioned already, I enjoyed my 9 years of C10 ownership for the same reasons you stated. When I sold it last month, with 116,000 US miles, I rode it 50 miles to the home of the guy who bought it from me. Mixed feelings on that short trip. It ran so well, as it always did.

The old and the new. Ready to move on to this beautiful C14 I now ride. I'm sure I'll learn to love it as well. :) (y)1630150894476.jpeg

Analog vrs digital.
DIY vrs Pay to Play.
old tech vrs new tech

Do believe both have their place here.

Am always impressed by number of C14
owners who kept their C10 or want it back
to keep along/with the C14.

After riding my C10 always am smiling!
Even with being caught in the rain.

Like I said earlier, I never owned nor even riden a C10...however I'm grateful it was there because if it hadn't developed such a loyal following then COG would never have gotten started. I also wonder if the C10 had turned out to be a flop, if Mama Kaw would would have even bothered with the C14.
So hats off and kudos (y)🤗🤗🤗:love:(y) to the C10 and all you people that bought them in the past so us newbies could enjoy our C14s and COG now.

Like I said earlier, I never owned nor even riden a C10...however I'm grateful it was there because if it hadn't developed such a loyal following then COG would never have gotten started. I also wonder if the C10 had turned out to be a flop, if Mama Kaw would would have even bothered with the C14.
So hats off and kudos (y)🤗🤗🤗:love:(y) to the C10 and all you people that bought them in the past so us newbies could enjoy our C14s and COG now.

Excellent point. If I hadn't had such pleasant experiences during my 9 years of C10 ownership, I would not have moved to a C14. Only reason I couldn't keep my C10 is no room in the garage. :);) Photo of me on the 2002 C10 on US 33 in West Virginia, September 2019.

Attachments

• 2019 Fall Ride day 2, 3 (18).jpg
    2019 Fall Ride day 2, 3 (18).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 108
Never owned or rode a C 10 before during my 50 years of riding. I have ridden several touring bikes like Goldwings and a Valkerie I once owned.

My opinion so far is the C14 ( 2010 model with 5K in upgrades ) is that it is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden for commuting and 2 up riding.
I am amazed at how well it handles with fresh Michelin GT5 tires on it. Since I have engine guards on it I could fab up some highway pegs and make leg comfort go up a bit. The only thing that is a slight minus is the Corbin seat. Seems a bit hard as compared to other saddles I have enjoyed on other motorcycles I have owned. Other than that I love the power ( I am on my second Busa now since 2013 with over 40k miles of riding on it ) the C14 has... will most likely grab the header upgrade ( slip on for now ) and get the Mountain Runner flash from Steve...

I also think its is a great looking motorcycle... the lighting is also very good... it is a winner in my opinion even though the comparison rides in the magazines favor other brands in certain respects.

I traded in my 2006 C10 for a new C14 in 2016. The C14 is an absolute beast of a machine, the power/acceleration/handling all superior to the C10. Don't get me wrong, I loved my C10 also, but the C14 is amazing and I'm glad for the upgrade. Only things I miss from the C10 are the bigger fuel tank and wind protection was better for colder weather riding.

We got to ride the new c14 back in 08. A very nice bike. At 5' 6" and 175 lbs even two up it is more bike than I need. In 2010 I got a 99 c10 and we have put 50,000 miles on it. My wife likes it so much that she made me go out and get another one. We now have a 2005 also. The c 10 does everything we want it to do and now the buy in is very cheep. The c14 has a few things I am not sold on, KPass, high test gas, integrated brakes, higher purchase price, and insurance come to mind. I have never had anti lock brakes so maybe I don't know what I am missing. The performance of the c14 might be nice but my normal riding would just start to scratch the surface of what it is capable of. For now I will keep the c10.

I've got a friend with a C-10 not sure what year. I've got about 500 miles on that machine.
Hes got some farkles on it and its nice, old tech but very sorted out and pleasant to ride fast or slow.
And as mentioned above these things can be found in great shape cheap.
Nick
2014 C-14

We got to ride the new c14 back in 08. A very nice bike. At 5' 6" and 175 lbs even two up it is more bike than I need. In 2010 I got a 99 c10 and we have put 50,000 miles on it. My wife likes it so much that she made me go out and get another one. We now have a 2005 also. The c 10 does everything we want it to do and now the buy in is very cheep. The c14 has a few things I am not sold on, KPass, high test gas, integrated brakes, higher purchase price, and insurance come to mind. I have never had anti lock brakes so maybe I don't know what I am missing. The performance of the c14 might be nice but my normal riding would just start to scratch the surface of what it is capable of. For now I will keep the c10.
You mentioned anti lock brakes. I can say with certainty it has saved me on at least once occasion. I was following to close which I rarely ever do and the guy in front of the truck in front of me slammed on his brakes and stopped. I got within about 6 feet of the truck and had all brakes under max pressure for a few moments. I really thought I was going to hit him and fall down. After a moment I pulled up next to the truck in from of me and the guy said I am sorry. He went on and said the guy in front of him jammed on the brakes but didn't know why. Must have been a brake check by a pissed off driver... so... you never know what might happen... so I keep my distance a good part of the time and anticipate the possibilities as much as I can. That means even looking at people tires sometimes, or, the load on a truck... does everything look good out there?

I find the ABS to be a huge jump forward. Saved me a couple of times. Probably the most significant was gravel on a 90 degree turn. I had been on this part of the road many times before and the gravel was a complete surprise. Yes I know your not supposed to use the brakes in a corner but...I was able to maintain control and not land in the spot I had picked out to crash in. I did have to remove some seat cover out of my back side and sit and think about what happened with a Marlboro.

A heavy bike with a passenger...sometimes in bad conditions in the hills...I kind of think ABS is mandatory (for me at least).

Lots of good info in here. Just a couple of things I might add.

there are touring pegs available that are easy to install. The AST pegs took me about 18 minutes start to finish...which is saying something as "wrenchin'" is not my thing. https://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_14_Touring_Pegs_p/c14-14.htm

I agree with the height. I had a fellow come over to my gas pump and start talking about the bike. He stood about 5'8. I told him he was free to sit the bike or try to straddle it. At 6'3 I had Seth Laam give me a little more seat height and put the Knight Design peg lowers on. I told the guy that if I were his height and I wanted a Sport tourer I would look at the FJR because I have friends that have lowered them successfully. We lowered the BMW R1100 to fit my 5'4 wife and shortened the kickstand. So.....my take is that the Connie is rideable for guys of a certain height and I encourage anyone looking to find one who owns a C14 qnd sit it.

THe tank is a known quantity. I get 200 miles out of a tank even with the Mountain Runner. Better on long trips as I don't twist the throttle on take off as much. The BMW has a larger tank and that little sewing machine sips gas like it's having tea and crumpets. Still....I am willing to get on and go from Muncie IN to Chatam VA at the drop of a hat ....and enjoy the smiles the whole way down.

Where are you going in Chatham VA? I went to school there in the late 70's and graduated in 80. It's a tiny place. I grew up on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

Where are you going in Chatham VA? I went to school there in the late 70's and graduated in 80. It's a tiny place. I grew up on Virginia's Eastern Shore.
My son is coaching the Post Grad Team at Hargrave. His is in his 3rd year of recruiting, coaching and managing personalities.....Heading down the 9th to spend the weekend . Staying at a little cabin just off campus. http://www.chathamcottage.com/

It is small but they are isolated from the rest of the world and the locals are very nice.

I had 3 GTR1000 in the 80's and 90's, 1 GTR1400 in 2015, and now a 2000 GTR1000. I sold the 1400 because here in France till 2017 all bikes were castrated at 100hp and Kawasaki limited power on the 1400GTR badly, engine torque at low rpm was awful.
But even now that all bikes are authorized full power, I chose to buy another GTR1000/C10.

1000GTR's are more or less at the same low prices than in the US, but 1400GTR's are quite more expensive in Europe for equivalent mileage. It's impossible to find a GTR1400/C14 here even 1st version under 5500USD unless wrecked.

Also the 1000 protects better, has simpler and less expensive maintenance costs and much less electronics.
I'd say the C10 was designed as a pure GT like the BMW it was copying in the mid 80's, whereas the C14 was designed as a sports bike able to travel.
Even if the C14 engine is more powerful with better torque, I feel the C10 corresponds more to pure GT spirit, driving cool with excellent protection and lots of luggage.

I hear you on that one. When I lived in Germany (83-86) and everyone was riding what we call in America - Mopeds. They were 100cc machines with every performance enhancement known to man on them to get every ounce of power possible out of them. When I asked why they were riding such small machines they would say the German government basically hates motorcycles, but is not willing to ban them because the people that love them would go nuts. So they basically made over 100cc machines impractical to ride with tariffs, high insurance rates, taxes, registration fees, and so on. If you wanted to own a machine larger than 100cc it came at an enormous cost that made a car cheap to own in comparison.

Since I was American military (USAF) I did not have to pay any of these these costs and I owned a Yamaha FJ1100 and a Honda CB 750 while I was there. Wherever I went I drew a crowd after I parked. The Germans loved the bikes and their sound, and politely asked to sit on them or start them up so they could hear it. Those guys were all dressed up with gear that was worth 3 times more than their bikes, and they were bikers to the core - they loved it. But the government made it too hard on them which I found cruel and I did my best to make as many as I could happy at least while I was there. I really liked the spirit of those German riders.

My son is coaching the Post Grad Team at Hargrave. His is in his 3rd year of recruiting, coaching and managing personalities.....Heading down the 9th to spend the weekend . Staying at a little cabin just off campus. http://www.chathamcottage.com/

It is small but they are isolated from the rest of the world and the locals are very nice.

Good for your son, great school! Yep, I was a 1980 grad from Hargrave. Ward Burton 2002 Daytona 500 winner was my roommate in 1980 and we were friends from 79 to 80 when he was there. Good guy, he was really good to me during his racing career.

So true, so very true sir.

The signature machines of guys like SISF, Bergman, Rev Ryder, Jim Snyder and others all came to be before the C14 existed.

They were the leading edge of the C10 world - the pinnacle of 'what could be' to those of us who owned normal C10's. Thankfully these guys shared what they had done and how they did it enabling the rest of us to benefit by also tweaking our bikes in the areas we were able to.

Along that path you develop a connection to your machine that you have made your own and are loathe to part with it.

The arrival of the C14 was a whole new league of performance and refinement that I may yet own someday. Whatever happens, the ole C10 will always have a stall in my garage for as long as it lives.

Bottom line: Too many bikes to own, so little time.
Stasch, I couldn't agree anymore. I built my 06 C-10 and yes, I spent some money on it. Thing is, I had two C-10,s prior and never had the desire to do anything with them other than ride. Good bikes just no emotional attachment. Now I don't know if I could ever part with the 06. Handling is good (17's) and stopping is more than adequate (big brakes) and no it's not fast, but speed isn't a requirement any longer. I had the great fortune of winding up with the carcass of Jim Snyder's bike. Guess what? I had a worn out K1100RS laying around and lo and behold, another game changing blend came together that would be hell to part with. Quick for a C-10, smooth beyond anyone's belief if they haven't ridden it, and a down right pleasant place to spend saddle time. Bonus is the virtual lack of heat, which anyone that lives in the south knows, is a virtue indeed. Here is my take. I built two incredible bikes. Can I afford a 14? Yes. Have i ridden a 14? Yes, although it was hammered. What did I discover? I discovered it was a well balanced powerful bike. I certainly understand the desire. I also discovered that it wasn't me. Things that touch our souls are what creates the priority.
I love riding my pedestrian R60/6 because its simplicity takes me back to what made me fall in love with motorcycles. I enjoy my KLR650 because it takes me places other can only wonder about when passing that gravel road. I love my GL1800 because I've never had a woman dismount and say "well that sucked". It does what a Goldwing does.
At 65, there still some time to discover other bikes. Who's to say a 14 won't come into my life. I get it. In the meantime I'm going to continue to cherish what I've accomplished. love the bikes I built and leave the technology to those that require it. I'm not afraid of tech, I just bought a Hyundai Santa Cruz and there isn't a single piece of switch gear in the damned thing, LOL. Take care group.

Attachments

• KMW.jpg
    KMW.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 102
Good for your son, great school! Yep, I was a 1980 grad from Hargrave. Ward Burton 2002 Daytona 500 winner was my roommate in 1980 and we were friends from 79 to 80 when he was there. Good guy, he was really good to me during his racing career.
Well that is awesome. I will be sure to tell him. If you are over there make sure you stop down at the gym and ask for Tommy.....he will give you the nickel tour of the gym and probably ask you tons of question about the culture when you attended. His job is to sell the school to parents and recruits so he is always picking the minds of alums. Seems to really like it there and really enjoys the #HargraveFamily connections

Well that is awesome. I will be sure to tell him. If you are over there make sure you stop down at the gym and ask for Tommy.....he will give you the nickel tour of the gym and probably ask you tons of question about the culture when you attended. His job is to sell the school to parents and recruits so he is always picking the minds of alums. Seems to really like it there and really enjoys the #HargraveFamily connections

Thank you, I will definitely do that IF I ever visit.

This is a long story, but one Tommy should know because I do not know if this institutional silliness still exists or not. I sure hope it doesn't. And it may benefit some of our forum members too. Private schools are great, but parents need to keep a very close eye on them as they tend to operate somewhat in their own world.

My relationship with Hargrave was damaged quite a bit in my senior year and I have noticed that in the era I attended there is a significant dip in alumni participation and donations. There would be value in the school addressing some of the bad will generated by the poor leadership in those years. and this is but one example. The leadership had some clear favorites that were played often at that time that embittered the students and parents that experience this inconistent behavoir out of their leadership. I consider 77-85 the lost era and in some cases there may be too much wrong in the past for a future according to friends I have spoken to since I graduated using social media. The president of the school at the time, Vernon Lankford made, many, mistakes and was very inconsistent when came to decisions and events.

In my case I never, NEVER got into any trouble while I attended 78-80 - prior to the event I am about to describe. I went to HMA for a better school and not because I was a bad kid - but my final months there were pretty brutal.

In my Junior year we (students and a sponsor) formed a competitive trick drill team. Our sole goal was to compete in the National Drill competition held annually in Arlington Va. This event was judged by "The Old Guard" the Army's special ceremony company that mans the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and other special events. They are the nations professional dress and ceremony team and they are absolute perfectionists. Anyway, our faculty sponsor was a former member of The Old Guard and really understood presision and commitment required to win this competition. For example, we used REAL quite heavy vintage rifles and not those toys you see other high schools use. I still have scars and swollen joints from the sprains and broken fingers we all experienced until we improved. The Junior School also started a team that was unarmed due to their age and small stature. Their Faculty Sponsor was a former Navy drill team commander that knew his business well. The little guys' competition was not judged as strictly due to their age (12-15 yo) and to their credit - those kids were quite good!

The commitment required to be on the drill teams was the most severe for any team at HMA. It required members to give up 100% of their free time which was at a premium do to the strict school scheduling, we could not participate in any other extracurricular activity because of the intense practice requirements all for ONE competition. We worked every single day, and had multiple sessions on Saturday and Sunday when the rest of the students had mostly free time. It was tough, but what made it much worse was the school's attitude toward us. They made it difficult for us at every step of the way - which was quite unfair and demonstrated a serious bias that reared its ugly head frequently during my 2 years on that team. The only two years of its existence. We were treated like the Black Sheep from the very start and the school refused to support us in any way. Thus we had to rely on parents and other alumni to help us with materials, uniforms, and travel.

Lankford was all about promoting the school in any way possible, and the drill team was a great way to do it on a national scale, but he could not or would not see the vision. But hang in there, because this gets much worse... We earned an invitation to the National Drill Competition on the reputations of our sponsors and videos they submitted (old VHS). Up to this point had never performed in any event except for family and in a few on campus events.

In 1979 bothteams went to the competition basically blew their doors off. We came out of nowhere and scared the hell out of schools that had been participating in that event for decades. Our Jr School kids took FIRST PLACE in our very first competitive event and our armed team took third place due to a few errors by made by one team member that basically lost his head under pressure. Our team, unlike our Jr school, was a silent drill team and we performed for 5 minutes with virtually no commands. It's a great for scoring, but has a high degree of difficulty due to the timing, step count, weapon stunts, and critical positioning involved. Unfortunately he lost count/position once and messed us up for a moment, yet we still placed well in spite of that!

When we got home with a first and third place National trophies in hand, the first ever for HMA, the school basically said and did nothing - no recognition at all except for a picture and caption in the yearbook after a proud parent letter writing campaign. It was wrong and petty, but they did it none the less. Both teams afterward got invitations to perform in regional and national parades as well as college basketball and football games. But since the school would not help with transportation we could not go and declined, not to mention the Sr School sponsor thought we needed more polish before performing for another large audience - and he considered us a competition and not an exhibition team. But when an invitation came from the WHITE HOUSE, the Jr School sponsor embarrassed the Administration into letting them go and they performed on the White House lawn on Easter Sunday 1979 for Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter who did a meet and greet with them, took pictures and sent each team member home with an autographed picture of the then president. Pretty cool stuff and I am willing to bet you can't find a single thing about it in the school's archives or of our awards in the trophy cases. There never was anything about it while I was there and it was a CURRENT EVENT at that time.

In 1980 BOTH teams won the national competition by the largest first to second margin they had ever recorded up to that point. It was within a fraction of a point away from PERFECT. The Sr School team and family members had to contend with team members from other teams causing pushing and shoving incidents in the stands (insults and filthy language included) after we performed. I think it was an attempt to get us disqualified, because it was pretty clear we had won after we performed near the mid point of the competition. Event security had to force a couple teams to move away in the stands and protect our folks it got so bad. It all felt like a constant dark cloud over our heads. The top three teams in each division take the floor together and the announce the winners in order from third to first. It actually was anticlimactic when the champion of our division for the past 8 years was dethroned. It honestly was a forgone conclusion, and we felt it, when we finished out permornance that morning before the evening awards. It was the culmanation of two years of effort and we were honestly emotionally worn out.

Anyway, we kind of lost our heads that night and the Sr School team members needed to vent. We were wrong, but we were smart enough to keep it low key and no one but the participants knew a thing about it. We had team members that were 17-19, and the drinking age at the time was 18 for beer, long story short, got our hands on some beer and we quietly partied in our motel rooms. Yes, it was against school policy, and I am not justifying breaking the school rules.

And to no one's surprise, when we got back the next day there was no fanfare or mere mention of our accomplishment anywhere or at any time. But about two weeks afterward rumors started to spread around the school that our Jr School Team had been drinking during their trip to the competition which was underage drinking and against the law! To this day I do not know how they got their hands on a single 6 pack, but they did, and about 10 out of the 17 of them drank some. It wasn't much, but it was a violation of state and school rules and there was an investigation. And of course with an honor code the Sr School team had to admit their rule violations when asked, even though most of us did not break any law or cause any disturbance out of respect for our sponsors. But to be honest we were teenagers and really needed to vent after the way everyone involved had treated for the prior two years. Their actions toward us in this two year arc was really was unforgivable - STILL. So even though we did nothing to embarrass the school or our sponsors - we owned up to breaking school rules. When asked, we were honorable and admitted to violating the school rules and doing so behind our sponsor's back which still makes me feel terrible to this day. And with that, the school finally had what they needed "to make us pay" and they were incredibly ugly and vindictive when they threw the book at us with the maximum punishment possible in all cases. They formally disbanded both teams and basically black balled them which was enough right there when you consider all the blood, sweat, and tears involved to create, build, and participate in them! It was hurtful and mean spirited. But that was not enough, they then busted any students that had rank ( as a lieutenant, and platoon leader I had the most to lose), we lost all our student leadership positions, any/all privileges. Worst of all, the ENTIRE TEAM was forced to march "tours" together during all free time for the remainder of the school year. They would have thrown us all of us out of school if they could have absorbed the financial hit that would have resulted, and a few parents threatened to sue if they tried. But the punishment handed out had already set all precedents for that infraction. But what they did was beyond cruel, and while my folks were really angry with us being VERY strict already and strict Baptist non-drinkers, but they felt the school when well beyond what was required. They found their actions to be spiteful by making example of us well beyond the actual infraction and most parents of these kids said so in the end. In spite of all this, I finished they year with my head up and happily left the school in my rear-view mirror when I graduated the end of that year. Then we drove off campus - never to return.

But there is a balance in this world. BOTH our sponsors met with Mr Lankford immediately after they handed down their brutal punishments to the team members. They did so to share the enormous pile of invitations they had gotten since our drill comp. These invitations were for events all over the country along with their personal resignations attached. They did so in spite of the school finding them innocent of any involvement in the events as they monitored us, and we did everything after lights out behind everyone's backs. In those letters was an invitation from The White House for BOTH teams to return for performances in 1980, but since those vindictive fools formally disbanded the teams their actions poked their own eyes while shooting off each foot - what dumba$$es! My mom who is still with us, marvels at the stupidity of it all to this day, and expresses her respect for all those kids for the grace and poise they showed in their final months while being humiliated daily.

Just think of the lost promotional opportunities that would have created for the school with a tour by those teams, there were international invites too, but their spite work and pride needed to come first it seems because it is clear we were basically hated from the start. I sure hope the leadership at HMA has grown well beyond that silliness. This truly was not HMA's best day, and while I still harbor a great deal of resentment, as well as guilt for what did to our sponsors and what they felt compelled to do in our defense. Yet I do have some good memories and good friends from HMA.

Insistently, I ran into a former drill team member in Germany while we were both in the USAF. He was stationed at another base there and we crossed paths by chance in 86 at a winefest. It was six years later, but we still spoke at legnth about it because we both had been emotionally scarred by it.

One other notable item, apparently the Old Guard recruited team members from 1980 HMA Drill Team, and I saw one of my former teammates pictured on an international publication guarding The Tomb back in 1982. I knew Bill well!

Last edited:
Sorta went WAY off topic didn't we.

Indeed we did -sorry for that.

Private schools are great for education quality, but can be very narrow-minded behind the front doors. Parents need to understand they are a very closed system with little to no transparency. And that's why I shared the story with everyone. I'm 60 and that crap still bothers me, as well as the folks involved I have kept up with. Point is - it didn't need to happen the way it did, and should never happen again.

Never got a chance to ride a C10.

Way back when - long about the time this thread was first started - my ex-wife and I had five Valkyries and a VTX1800. I'd gotten her thinking about sport bikes a few years prior, and the notion of a sport tourer kept coming to the forefront. We looked at and rode a number of different models from various manufacturers, until we threw legs over the C14s.

Back in the day I used to see a LOT of C10s at the various rallies we attended, and that's one direction I kept trying to nudge her. Alas, inseams being what they are she didn't feel confident aboard a C14...though she's a very skilled and accomplished rider. Me, on the other hand: If I was any taller or had an inseam even slightly longer then the C14 simply wouldn't work for me. Both of mine have peg lowering kits and bar risers installed.

To the here and now: There are two Valkyries and two C14s in the stable at the moment. If I'm toting my current gal pal on a very long distance (cross country) ride, my Tourer (wearing lots of Interstate bodywork and a fairing) gets the nod hands-down. If we're bopping around the area countryside, the modified Interstate is the cruiser of choice.

Get me on the road for long distances by myself in cool, cold and potentially wet weather and the '08 is the ONLY weapon of choice while the '12 sees more wet late spring, summertime and early fall duties. If I didn't have a co-rider I could easily make do with just the two C14s though the cruisers are fun to play with.

What's missing is an adventure bike. I'll probably end up with a bagged 1290 Super Adventure at some point, for use on those roads where I simply won't take the others. Every tool in the toolbox has its place.