• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 dies when the starter button pushed

CC Rider

CC Rider
My 2019 C14 with 930 miles on it shut down completely when the starter button was pushed.  Completely dead.  Next day, it seemed to be alive again.  I pushed the starter button and it died again.  No display, can't turn the key.  Nothing.

Battery is charged, FOB in the backup slot doesn't change anything.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
loose battery connections. Can't pull any amps. Steve

loose, or dirty..(and I don't want to hear "they looked clean, and the bolts were tight"...) even tho I've said this 1000 times, pull them, scrub them with sandpaper, scrub the ground point on frame, reinstall all.. and go on.

Like Steve and MOB sed; battery cables.
NOTE: Several have gotten new C-14's from the Dealer and the cables were not tightened properly.

Check that first..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Like Steve and MOB sed; battery cables.
NOTE: Several have gotten new C-14's from the Dealer and the cables were not tightened properly.

Check that first..

Ride safe, Ted

why even falsely check the tightness, this is the achille's heel..if they were loose, they were already creating an invisible resistive connection (i.e. invisible resistive coating on the terminals, preventing full current flow.    remove them all, clean them all and re-install.. tight, and clean.

Wow.  Thank you so much. You guys are amazing.

Positive terminal was jiggling loose.  You saved me enough for a perpetual, forever COG membership!  Not to mention the bs of hearing about it from a dealer with a bill in hand, and all the missed riding days!  :)  :D ;)

Dear Ted, Steve, Man of Blues, Connie Rider - thank you very much!  Just back from a sweet ride.  With you wise advice a big problem disappeared, yes I fixed it.

I sure hope u went back to the dealer u bought it from, and raised holy hell.  Nithing like getting stranded 30.miles from nowhere with no cell service.  Yes it can happen, and hopefully your attending a COG national when it happens, cuz you'll be amazed at how many coggers will stop and help..

Should be be worth a couple oil filters at least.. :)

I got bit by this very condition yesterday.

A little back story: All four of my bikes (including two C-14s) use the same battery. I had to rob the battery from my '08ABS to put in one of my Valkyries to get it on the road this year and I ordered a new one for the Connie. Which sat for several months as it's my cool/cold-weather bike.

A few weeks ago I put that one back on the road with said new battery. Checked the frame area and ground terminals - all looked good. Evidently it wasn't. Last night, while warming the bike up in the driveway I was only showing 12.3V on the dash voltmeter. Long story short: Pulling the negative frame lead, thoroughly cleaning it and the frame then reassembly with dielectric grease applied to everything seems to have addressed the issue - this by the testing I did today.

I think the camel which broke the straw's back - so to speak - was that on the last two rides I ran my heated gear at full power. Its negative terminal is connected to the same bolt that secures battery negative to the frame - and the additional current likely sped the oxidation process along just enough to cause me problems.

FWIW, this bike has been run for many years without charging system issues. This is its third battery, and I replace them about every 4-5 years.

As stated above, the ground connections should be addressed, the powder coating should be removed from behind the ground ring connections.