• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 is not an off-road master

SlowOne

Well ... the Washington back country discovery route looked interesting to me.  https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/ 

I was in Wenatchee a bit earlier than I expected.  I figured that maybe I'd go up a little ways on the BDR southbound from there.  I expected forest roads for a short while, followed by a gradual decrease in road quality.  Turns out that didn't make it a quarter mile up the rocky and sandy surface.  The traction control was going off the whole way - but I figured I'd at least get to the top of the first little hill.  Then the bike stalled out on me.  And then I set it down in the dirt.

No real damage (yay, canyon cages).  Out in the middle of nowhere -- so no witnesses (phew?).  It was heavy to pick up again, and kinda fun going back down the sand.

But the C14 really isn't a great off road bike.  I've run it on our local forest roads plenty -- but nothing quite like sand.

SlowOne said:
Well ... the Washington back country discovery route looked interesting to me.  https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/ 

I was in Wenatchee a bit earlier than I expected.  I figured that maybe I'd go up a little ways on the BDR southbound from there.  I expected forest roads for a short while, followed by a gradual decrease in road quality.  Turns out that didn't make it a quarter mile up the rocky and sandy surface.  The traction control was going off the whole way - but I figured I'd at least get to the top of the first little hill.  Then the bike stalled out on me.  And then I set it down in the dirt.

No real damage (yay, canyon cages).  Out in the middle of nowhere -- so no witnesses (phew?).  It was heavy to pick up again, and kinda fun going back down the sand.

But the C14 really isn't a great off road bike.  I've run it on our local forest roads plenty -- but nothing quite like sand.
Check out "Honduro" youtube channel. Couple a guy's I know riding mx and legit single track on Goldwings. They are nuts.

HeavyRotation said:
SlowOne said:

Check out "Honduro" youtube channel. Couple a guy's I know riding mx and legit single track on Goldwings. They are nuts.
Dos Honduros

oldsmoboat said:
HeavyRotation said:
SlowOne said:

Dos Honduros
Yes, thanks. They are very 'special.'

I live in the high desert and have run into a few times the need to take the C14 off road. It's always been unpleasant. The Trac Control is too sensitive for this and cycles causing odd behavior of the bike. But then if you turn of Trac the bike is way too powerful for street tires and dirt.
I once looked for more aggressive tires for the C14 just to give it a try but could never find anything suitable with the tire size and tight clearances. It would be hard to make a scrambler out of the C14, just too much to modify and not enough clearances.

SO....I bought an Africa Twin...with the AT and C14 in the garage, I have to say these 2 bikes are the best compliments for each other depending on which mood one is in for that day. I thought I'd sell the C14 but it's just too fun on the open road...so now a 2 bike house. Which is OK because my Motorcycle trailer is for 2 bikes as well and now I can fill it up on some long trips...LOL