• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Lowering Questions

TAL2013C14

Training Wheels
Hello Folks,

I’ve been reading posts about lowering the C14, and it’s been awhile since a “fresh” post has been started, and since I’m a new C14 owner (just over 1000 miles), I figured I’d start my own.  (2013 C14 with 1015 miles)

For starters I’m 5’8” with a 31.5” actual inseam.
At stop lights the balls of my feet are firmly on the ground, however, I can see the advantage of being flat footed while stopped.  Especially on gravel, uneven pavement, or trying to push the bike backwards on an incline.

My two previous bikes were flat footed, knees bent, at the red light, cruisers.  Unfortunately, cruisers don’t offer the “fun”, that the C14 does.

I’m considering either the T-Rex lowering links, or the ProjektD lowering links.  Mainly because I want to retain the center stand, and I don’t see myself “adjusting” the height once the bike is lowered.
I do have a Corbin two piece seat, that although I’m not sure it’s actually any lower, to me it feels lower because it’s less bulky than the stock seat.

I’m interested in hearing from people who have lower their C14…and from people who maybe think it’s not a good idea.

Was it a difficult job?
Did it change the handling of the bike (for better of worse)?

Has anybody start from “balls of the feet”?  Where did you end up after lowering links?
Are handlebar risers required when lowering the front end to match the rear?

I’m looking forward to your replies, opinions, advice, and experiences!

Thanks,
Tim

If you lower only the back end your handling will change but probably not enough to make much difference. You can compensate by raising the forks an equal amount. Be careful if you do this. The forks will need to be raised equally and not so much as to cause impacts with the front fender and the underside of the nose.
Lowering the back is pretty simple and straight forward. Follow the instruction with the lowering links, it's only two bolts. I went the opposite direction and raised the back by 40mm to help quicken the steering. I'm 6'2" so that wasn't an issue for me.
Lots of folks here have lowered their bikes without issues. It will make getting this heavy beast on the center stand more difficult. Good luck with this. Ride lots, ride safe.

I'm 5'3" about 27 inch inseam.

I removed all the foam from my stock seat.
Went from tip-toes to nearly flat feet.
I have not installed any lowering kit.
Very happy with this setup.

I went 16 hours straight for 900 miles without the foam.
Butt hurts on really long rides, but not from lack of foam.

I prefer to have both feet on the ground.

Not sure comments will be helpful...since I never rode it while lowered.
My bike's previous owner is about 5'7", and maybe 160 Lbs.
He had lowered the bike by using links in the back, and pushing the fork tubes up past the triple clamp about 1".
He's a VERY experienced rider, and very much into sporty riding (now has a FZ10), so I cannot imagine that handling suffered, but since he lowered both ends about the same, geometry pretty much stayed the same.
The front fender had no marks at all, so never any contact with fairing.
I had to ride it up on two 2x6 boards to get the center stand down when I returned it to normal height, I was unable to get it on the center stand without the boards.
BTW... the peg feelers had never scraped, I expect it's because he knows how to lean properly (he used to race).

I used Muzzys lowering links. But I believe they out of biz now. Someone here might sell a set. Easy install. I raised the front shocks 1" Had to use a 1" riser or it would hit the handlebars. Didn't notice a change in handling but I don't drag pegs anyway. Have to ride up on a plywood ramp I made to get the center stand down. Back wheel only. I made it like a ramp so you can push it up if you want. I have a small version I take on the road. Also a 3/4" piece of plywood to put under the kick stand in order to get off the bike so I can put it up on the center stand. Shortened the kick stand as well, which you have to do. Couldn't be happier with it!

Harry Martin said:
I'm 5'3" about 27 inch inseam.

I removed all the foam from my stock seat.
Went from tip-toes to nearly flat feet.
I have not installed any lowering kit.
Very happy with this setup.

I went 16 hours straight for 900 miles without the foam.
Butt hurts on really long rides, but not from lack of foam.

I prefer to have both feet on the ground.

No foam, that's got to be one firm ride! :-\

Thank you for the helpful input folks.
I think I'll go ahead and purchase the T-Rex lowering links & adjustable kickstand, and Murphs' bar risers. :motonoises:

Make sure the adjustable stand is sturdy. I know there were some problems with Soupys. It's a heavy bike especially on a slight downhill on the stand side.

I don't have the C-14 yet and I am of average hight but noticed on the test ride the C-14 was significantly taller than my C10 and I was on the balls of my feet. Coming from Redding V-Twin Cruisers I am used to and like having my feet flat on the ground. Along with Steve's tuning lowering will be among the first modifications made to the new bike. I will not go without having a center stand or risk having a bike that doesn't rest firmly on the kick stand. I do a lot of tubing fabrication but like the idea of being able to return everything back to stock for resale value. I will order an extra kick and center stand to modify this not only allows for being able to return the bike to stock it keeps the bike on the road during mock-up and fabrication.
Like stated above I don't even have the bike in my position as of yet, but this modification will definitely be one that is done. After I complete the lowering and stand modifications I will return with a complete write-up and DIY.

You might want to consider an after market seat that is lower than the stock one. It's another way to get your feet down flat and can be more comfortable.

Welcome to the Connie. It's a blast to ride, especially if you flash the ECU. :great:

Installed the T-Rex lowering links & replacement kickstand, and handlebar risers.
I can flat foot the C14 now.
Next project, set up suspension.

Tim said:
Installed the T-Rex lowering links & replacement kickstand, and handlebar risers.

How has this changed the handling?  And how much lower is the rear?

I lowered the front by raising the front forks 0.6 inches, leaving the rear alone.    Stock sidestand, no problem.
Immediately loved the better handling and ease of turning into curves. No fender impacts, BTW.
Gave slightly better foot contact, too. 
June162014058EDIT_zps65265bd3.jpg

Red Fox said:
Tim said:

How has this changed the handling?  And how much lower is the rear?

I lowered the front by raising the front forks 0.6 inches, leaving the rear alone.    Stock sidestand, no problem.
Immediately loved the better handling and ease of turning into curves. No fender impacts, BTW.
Gave slightly better foot contact, too. 
June162014058EDIT_zps65265bd3.jpg

I personally haven't noticed any difference in handling.
The links lowered the rear about 1-1/8" to 1-1/4", and I lowered the front forks 1-1/4".

fyi; In another discussion (that I can't seem to find) someone installed ZX-14 links to lower his C-14.
        I always wondered if he had found an inexpensive way to do this.

I saw a set on Ebay for $10 and bought them to confirm he was right.
NOTE: I have Muzzy's on mine, that lowered the rear about 1" - 1 /4".

Turns out the ZX-14 links are 7" (hole to hole), and the Muzzy's are 6 1/2".
Bottom line, yes the ZX-14 Links will work but will lower the rear about 2", which I think its too much.

Ride safe, Ted

I know this is an old post, but misipipreacher did a "like" and brought it alive again.
So, I reread and decided to add a little info.
1) The ZX-14 Links lower the bike far too much. Not recommended.
2) The center stand must be lowered to use easily. Not overly hard to do the mod if you have welding capabilities.
{If anyone's interested I can post photo's of where to cut and reweld it}.
3) The side stand does not need to be replaced. Just heat it red hot {about 4" above the foot} and bend it out slightly.

Ride safe, Ted