• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 or FJR1300???

smeg1951

I have a 2006 C10 which is great but would like to upgrade while I can still ride. I'm considering either the C14 or the FJR1300. I may buy new but would look at used if under 4 years old. I'll be 71 next May. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inch inseam and weight 200 lbs.

I'm a Kawasaki guy (my first Kaw was a '69 500 triple) but I also like all things Yamaha. The FJR has cruise control (I added it to my C10 - thanks Murph), a larger tank and is lighter. I do most of my riding in rural areas or on highways.

What do you see as the advantages / disadvantages of one compared to the other? None of my local dealers have bikes for test rides.

Here's my experience choosing between the C14 and FJR.

There's a recall on the 6-speed FJR (2016 -> ?) and there's a thread in this section about that. I would look for a 2014 or 2015 if I were in the market for an FJR.

For myself 61 yoa, 5'10" 215 lbs with 30 inch inseam. Im also.a kawasaki guy and went from a 98 c10 to a 2010 c14 i purchased in 2015. For me it was about the looks. The c14 just looks better. Yes its heavier, but not as top heavy as a c10 imho. It doesnt have cruise ,BUT, cruise can be added and if u did it on ur c10 u can do.it(Rostra) on the c14. Yes i can not go flat footed unless im stopped and leaning to one side or the other. There's farkles and accessories to make the bike fit you the way you want....

And then theres this club. Where we joined for the bike and we stay for the people. That for me is the real prize!!! Oh ok the 100mph sweepers are so.much fun right Jerry....lol

I have owned three FJR's, and just bought a 2012 C14. All the FJR's I have owned we're non-cruise 5 speed.

I think both are fine machines, and you can't go wrong with either.

This is just personal preference, but one main reason I bought the Connie is that it was 6-speed earlier, allowing for a more reasonable purchase price than a 6-speed FJR.

If I were shopping for one only a few years old or new, I would buy the FJR for the lighter weight, cruise and fancy suspension.

One other comment... If weight is an issue, and money isn't so much, the RT is MUCH lighter than either bike.

My FJR story is about the 1st gen, so I'll share the impression a good riding friend (73 -4 yrs old) told me last week. He has both bikes, and he's thinking on selling the C14. Mostly he rides the FJR 'because it feels more refined' and also less top heavy. He's your height, a few pds bigger and some 3 yrs older - a long time rider.

I like the C14, except for its up high perceived weight.

On the C14, it depends on which flash you have. I currently have the mountain runner premium flash. Premium only unless you are in a pinch.

I have a 2006 C10 which is great but would like to upgrade while I can still ride. I'm considering either the C14 or the FJR1300. I may buy new but would look at used if under 4 years old. I'll be 71 next May. I'm 6 foot with a 32 inch inseam and weight 200 lbs.

I'm a Kawasaki guy (my first Kaw was a '69 500 triple) but I also like all things Yamaha. The FJR has cruise control (I added it to my C10 - thanks Murph), a larger tank and is lighter. I do most of my riding in rural areas or on highways.

What do you see as the advantages / disadvantages of one compared to the other? None of my local dealers have bikes for test rides.

Personally, on the back roads where surface quality can be a crap shoot, I like the heaviness of the C14. Of course I'm also riding with my suspension settings on the softer side because I'm not in an area where there's a bunch of high quality curves to be carving or canyons to run. I'm mostly a flatlands-in-BFE rider, or errand boy chasing after honey-do list items. Yes, I mix pleasure with home projects/tasks when I can. Why shouldn't I? Some of us aren't yet at the phase in life where we can pack up for a month and tour the nation with our better half in the pillion perch behind us, but trust me when that time comes I'll be loaded up and ready to go.

I just went through a dilemma of wanting to get serious about a BMW that has cruise control and dashboard controlled suspension and a bigger tank, etc etc etc. And then I looked at the MSRP of nearly $30k and realized that my '21 C14 cost me half that. I can add all the upgrades myself if I'm anxious about them, which I'm not really. The cruise control kit from Australia only costs ~$1,500 after installation. Then, doing more math, my insurance cost for the C14 is also a fraction of what it will be for the BMW, and I have a fairly high confidence that my bike isn't high up on the list for thieves like the BMW might be.

All in all the C14 hits the sweet spot for me. I'm not afraid of the weight, in fact I prefer it for comfortable rides. The looks of the bike are a trigger for me, while the FJR (which I also considered before I bought the C14 earlier this year) just didn't give me that same feeling. And then, maybe even more important than all the previous, the C14's motor music is intoxicating. I've loved the sound of these power plants going back to the 80's with the GPZ900/ZX900A2 that I put nearly 80k miles on riding up and down the east coast.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to which seller gives you the best deal. You'll figure out the rest after that I'd think.

I have a '13 C14 that I have had for a little over a year. I have an '07 FJR (gen 2) that I have had for about 5 months. I only bought the FJR because a friend was selling it at a pretty good price. I thought I would try it out to see if there was a possibility of liking it better than my C-14.

I don't think that I've ridden the FJR enough yet to give it a fair shake, but I find myself choosing to ride the C14 and letting the FJR sit. The FJR is a great bike. Each bike has strengths and weaknesses. You have to decide which of those are important to you, whether it's weight, power, ride, etc.

I think that the C14 is the best cold weather bike that I've ridden.

One place that the C14 really outshines the FJR is high speed (80mph+) riding and interstate riding. I think the extra weight makes it much more stable.

I try to stay off the interstate, but the C14 does better passing semi trucks than anything I've ridden. The wind doesn't jerk you around like other bikes.

I have a friend that had both bikes at the same time and he preferred the FJR for shorter rides and twisties and he preferred the C14 for longer rides and overnight trips.

One thing that is never mentioned is pillion comfort. I prefer riding solo but my wife does like yo go sometimes. Any comments on pillion comfort?

Another factor not mentioned is ease of working on the bike yourself, if that's your normal practice. Here the FJR wins hands down. Even oil and filter changes are noticeably easier (FJR can be done on the side stand).

SMEG, I hope you let us know which bike you decide on. And if you're willing to fly to Washington state for clean C-14 bike pick up, my friend maintains his bikes well ... send me a PM for contact info.

I have a '13 C14 that I have had for a little over a year. I have an '07 FJR (gen 2) that I have had for about 5 months. I only bought the FJR because a friend was selling it at a pretty good price. I thought I would try it out to see if there was a possibility of liking it better than my C-14.

I don't think that I've ridden the FJR enough yet to give it a fair shake, but I find myself choosing to ride the C14 and letting the FJR sit. The FJR is a great bike. Each bike has strengths and weaknesses. You have to decide which of those are important to you, whether it's weight, power, ride, etc.

I think that the C14 is the best cold weather bike that I've ridden.

One place that the C14 really outshines the FJR is high speed (80mph+) riding and interstate riding. I think the extra weight makes it much more stable.

I try to stay off the interstate, but the C14 does better passing semi trucks than anything I've ridden. The wind doesn't jerk you around like other bikes.

I have a friend that had both bikes at the same time and he preferred the FJR for shorter rides and twisties and he preferred the C14 for longer rides and overnight trips.

It's off topic, but you mention the C-14 doing well with trucks. Any experience with the same with a C-10? My C-10 is pretty wiggly in the wake behind trucks, particularly over 70. My only ride on a C-14 was on backroads and the demo ride on the FJR I did Friday was relatively low-speed.

C-14 I have found better in wind, with the regard to being blown around, than the C-10. Weight is not the issue so can only go with aerodynamics, the C-10 bags were not streamlined and lines not like the C-14.

C-10 though I found to be better coverage for shoulders / head, at least stock screens that is. This can be resolved easily but a note to make - again my perspective.

It's off topic, but you mention the C-14 doing well with trucks. Any experience with the same with a C-10? My C-10 is pretty wiggly in the wake behind trucks, particularly over 70. My only ride on a C-14 was on backroads and the demo ride on the FJR I did Friday was relatively low-speed.
Matt, if you dig back in the discussions, you will find that there have been issues with some C-10's wiggling behind a truck.
Some found that changing to a belted tire solved the issue.

My Buddy had radials on his and seeing his bike wiggle was scary..
Changing to Belted solved his wiggle.
(We later realized that he has a big/wide windshield on the bike that probably intensified the wiggle).
NOTE: We tightened bearings, etc etc etc and changing to the belted tire is what worked.

Ride safe, Ted

Matt, if you dig back in the discussions, you will find that there have been issues with some C-10's wiggling behind a truck.
Some found that changing to a belted tire solved the issue.

My Buddy had radials on his and seeing his bike wiggle was scary..
Changing to Belted solved his wiggle.
(We later realized that he has a big/wide windshield on the bike that probably intensified the wiggle).
NOTE: We tightened bearings, etc etc etc and changing to the belted tire is what worked.

Ride safe, Ted
Mine's got a Clearview shield on it - pretty wide. It rocks side to side which I suppose would happen if the top corners were "steering" the bike in the turbulence. Even tried hands-free to make sure it wasn't my elbows wagging in the wind, but that was slightly worse.

Not going to worry about it too much, it's just a pain since it has me moving around the trucks a bit more energetically that would be otherwise necessary. Having started on dirt bikes, the weave doesn't worry me, but it is irritating. But... if I go shopping for something newer (like the OP is) it's good to have a relative notion about which works better and where.

The afternoon summer winds in the desert gust to as much as 50 MPH frequently. That and trucks passing on a two lane road make things exciting at times. 😮 The C-14 is one of the most stable bikes I have ridden in the desert, and after adding a V Stream windshield it became even more stable. Many of the other bikes I have ridden since I moved here in 1986, were down right scary when crossing the desert at speed. GPZ-750, CB-750, FJ-1100, Hurricane 1000, Ninja 1000, and the C-14.

Last edited:
One thing that is never mentioned is pillion comfort. I prefer riding solo but my wife does like yo go sometimes. Any comments on pillion comfort?
My wife rides with me quit a bit. I bought the Lowering kit for the rear pegs on the C14. That helped her to get on the bike easier as well as gave her more leg room. The C14 seat slopes forward which makes it more uncomfortable for her.

The seat on the FJR seams to be mostly level which is more comfortable for her, but the stock FJR seat is hard as a rock. She can get on and off the FJR easier because it's not as tall as the C14. I think overall she is more comfortable on the FJR, but I do need a new seat. But like someone else mentioned, you can put a Russell Day Long on and make anything comfortable.

Ive got a buddy whose wife rides with him often, they have the Corbin 2 piece. They very happy with it, but if ultimate passenger happinesz is required, your going to have to get a RDL..

group I ride with has a couple of fjr guys. they love em, and they seem to do great in the mountains. build quality is excellent. my 08 is faster though..😉

Went on a ride today with my son and his wife. My son and his wife rode my 07 FJR. He's ridden my C14 before and really likes it.

After we got back off the ride, he said that he doesn't want to ride the FJR again. He just doesn't like the way that it feels. He said that the handling is awkward feeling. I kind of feel the same way. It will probably be the next one to go.

I'd bet 80+% of C14 owners have also considered the FJR1300, and many have owned both. As part of your research, go to https://cycle-ergo.com/ to see whether one might work better for you fit and comfort-wise.

One should also take into consideration the recent fjr recall regarding the 2nd gear transmission issues. There was also a second recall for reprograming the ecu for the 1st to 2nd gear shifts..

And then ask how many recalls the c14 has had...

My main riding partner has a 09 FJR with 80 K on it.
I've got 1000+ miles on it.
To tell the truth other than being a 5 speed, if I don't look down I find virtually NO difference.
Same power, same handling, same seating.
YMMV
Nick
2014 C-14

I went from my 2002 C-10 to a 2008 FJR 3 years ago and am happy with my choice. I to have been a Kawasaki guy my entire m/c career. I ride Mr. Ted's C-14 first but found it too heavy for my liking. I happily ride my FJR and have remained to be a COG member.

I was torn between the two myself. Going from a R1 to either would've been a world of difference. My decision was made because leftover 2016 C14s were readily available in my area (in 2017), the closest FJR was about 2 hrs away in a different state. I am happy with my decision :)

I went from my 2002 C-10 to a 2008 FJR 3 years ago and am happy with my choice. I to have been a Kawasaki guy my entire m/c career. I ride Mr. Ted's C-14 first but found it too heavy for my liking. I happily ride my FJR and have remained to be a COG member.

It's been 6-7 years since I rode a C14 but I did a demo ride of a FJR in October. It felt remarkably easier to handle at low speeds than my C10. Did you get the same impression?

I was torn between the two myself. Going from a R1 to either would've been a world of difference. My decision was made because leftover 2016 C14s were readily available in my area (in 2017), the closest FJR was about 2 hrs away in a different state. I am happy with my decision :)
2 hours? That's practically just around the corner. :D My friend drove 5 hours to get his C-14.

It's been 6-7 years since I rode a C14 but I did a demo ride of a FJR in October. It felt remarkably easier to handle at low speeds than my C10. Did you get the same impression?
My C-10 had 7/8" handlebars so it handled great at low speed. So when I got the FJR the first thing I did was convert it to 7/8" bars.
But I did use a Storz adaptor for a C-10 to mount the bars on the FJR.

2 hours? That's practically just around the corner. :D My friend drove 5 hours to get his C-14.
I drove 730 miles each way with a pain in my shoulder blade that went down my right arm. Most miserable trip of my life.......but I got it.:)

I've been busy this summer with stuff that got in the way of riding. I did a recently test ride on a 2019 FJR1300. It felt lighter that my C10 even with a full tank and my C10 getting close to reserve. A lot faster acceleration, smoother, seat is a lot harder, a lot more wind on the body and head. Overall an improvement on the C10. But I'm 71 and I love my C10 and feel so comfortable on it. I can do all the wrenching without any trouble. I decided the best thing for me is to keep the C10 until I can't ride any more.

neither. get a guzzi
valve checks about a hour at most.

Attachments

• -5183860591394138742_121.jpg
    -5183860591394138742_121.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 158
  • -4902366248675945044_121.jpg
    -4902366248675945044_121.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
it does the job. it's no speed demon and not smooth like a concours but it's a great engine design that's easy to work on and quite reliable.
naturally it will need a flash, decat y pipe, slipon and some other odds/ends to unlock full potential.
couple of guys in my mountainrunner group ride and fjr's and they to are top notch.

Attachments

• photostudio_1662675276458.jpg
    photostudio_1662675276458.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 110

I have a 2012 FJR after having a 2005 C10 and a 2007 FJR. Love my FJR. For me with bad wrists and arthritis the cruise control sealed the deal. Had a BMW guy who rode it and said the cruise was better than his Beemer. I tell people it is the Toyota Avalon of sport touring bikes until you switch to sport mode. Smooth, comfortable and reliable.

I tell people it is the Toyota Avalon of sport touring bikes until you switch to sport mode.

That's what I like about drive modes... In Touring mode you can loaf along smooth and easy.

Once you switch it into Sport mode ... it takes about 1/2 the twist of your wrist to get her up and running!!!

Talk about Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde . It feels like you get 2 motorcycles in 1!

This is just my opinion and opinions do vary. Be that as it may, I have owned both a brand new C14 and a brand new FJR. I rode over 20K miles on each, so I had a fair amount of time to understand the bikes. Both of these machines were a while back now and not what is considered the newest up to date version you can buy now. I did a comparison a while back that you could probably find through a search. Although it might have been in a thread like this one. So you would be better off searching something like FJR or something. That being said, they are both fine choices and I doubt you would be unhappy with either bike. But to be honest. If I were to buy one of these machines tomorrow for myself. It would be the FJR. It's smaller and lighter and just fits me better. Plus the fit and finish on the Yamaha is much better than the Kawasaki. Harder to disassemble when needed, but better quality. Again, just my opinion.

Edit: I just noticed this was a year ago and not a week. Sorry for such a late response.

My best friend passed away from cancer at the beginning of November. You never know when your time will be up. It made me think. I can afford a new bike so what the heck. Spend it or leave it for my will to distribute. I don't know how many years I have to ride. Today I put a deposit on a 2023 FJR. I'll be in Australia and get back early on my birthday May 10 and will pick it up the same day. I'll be riding my new steed to the national in June. My 2006 Connie will be going to my son.

My best friend passed away from cancer at the beginning of November. You never know when your time will be up. It made me think. I can afford a new bike so what the heck. Spend it or leave it for my will to distribute. I don't know how many years I have to ride. Today I put a deposit on a 2023 FJR. I'll be in Australia and get back early on my birthday May 10 and will pick it up the same day. I'll be riding my new steed to the national in June. My 2006 Connie will be going to my son.
Glad you’ll be staying with group and Congrats on the new machine!

Wayne, Carol & Blue