• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

c14 shock conversion

bajasam

Scooter
So got my ebay c14 shock,getting ready for install on my c10, wondering if anyone who did the conversion and Did Not lower the rear end, if you just left it 1-2 inches higher which apparently is what the c14 shock does to your c10, did you experience any mechanical problems from the increased drive line angles, or any handling quirks from the new raised rear end orientation. this is in regards to relaxed easy cruising, Not racing or track type riding. Thx

I'm pretty sure that several did not add the lowering rocker.
But I think most also didn't add preload and did not get the high seat increase.
Makes for a softer ride/minimal angle changes, but much of the available "travel" is used up because there is more sag.

Ride safe, Ted

I did it without the lowering link; I'm 6'-5" so I had no need as far as flat footing is concerned.  I liked the change it made in handling.

Having ask about this conversion have had only comments about how it changes the way the bike rests on the side and center stands.  Great for putting up on center but may make bike less steady once on.....it's higher of course.  The same goes for the side stand as it changes that angle and less stable.  No first hand experience yet but those two issues seem possible. 

bowtie39 said:
Having ask about this conversion have had only comments about how it changes the way the bike rests on the side and center stands.  Great for putting up on center but may make bike less steady once on.....it's higher of course.  The same goes for the side stand as it changes that angle and less stable.  No first hand experience yet but those two issues seem possible.

+1

Exactly why I installed a lowering link.  Just a tiny nudge from the rear when it was on center stand was enough to push it off.  I also felt it leaned way too much on side stand.

I have done the conversion with no lowering rocker. Turn in is much quicker. Center stand easy peasy. No problems with the side stand. I just don't look at it.

I also made an extra sleeve for the bottom mount. If you want it PM me with your address and I will mail it to you.

Pbfoot said:
I also made an extra sleeve for the bottom mount. If you want it PM me with your address and I will mail it to you.
If he doesn't want it, I need one for the conversion on my son's 87.

did noone just use the 10mm bushing from the c14 linkage rather than drilling out the c10 bolt to make a bushing, both bikes use the same bearing in that location but rather than a greaseable bolt the c14 has the 10mm bolt going thru a bushing pressed into the bearing. also does anyone have an idea how much i'll need to extend the center stand to get the rear wheel fully off the ground ?

bajasam said:
did noone just use the 10mm bushing from the c14 linkage rather than drilling out the c10 bolt to make a bushing, both bikes use the same bearing in that location but rather than a greaseable bolt the c14 has the 10mm bolt going thru a bushing pressed into the bearing. also does anyone have an idea how much i'll need to extend the center stand to get the rear wheel fully off the ground ?
  You need a 10mm I.D by 20MM O.D x 30MM long bushing. The links from the shock to the pivot is different. C14 parts won't work. Center stand is fine.

i'll post later today when i get the old shock out, but thats the size bushing that i pulled out of the c14 shock linkage. both the c14 bushing and 10mm bolt, and the greaseable bolt on the c10 both go in the exact same part number bearing with a 20mm ID. some have reported that the centerstand will no longer lift rear wheel off of the ground,as i definately want to make sure i dont lose that ability. Thx.

Most of us put the center stand on a 1 inch thick piece of wood when we remove the rear tire. If you make a bushing the lower bolt from the C10 works fine.

i'll be doing this soon myself. good info for sure. I have soem ideas how to lower it in the back, will follow up when i do some measuring.  >:D

PB was right, the c14 bushing was only 18mm,not 20mm, parts fiche was showing incorrect bearing apparently, i'll be drilling out my c10 greaseable bolt i reckon. m in sc,,theres quite a few c14 shocks on ebay now in the 40-50 dollar range if your looking to pick one up for future use.

I zip tied the adjuster next to the battery. Start on the lowest setting as the rear suspension geometry is different.

bajasam said:
lowest setting for both the knob and the screw?? or just the knob clicker
I am only aware of the knob. Do you know something I don't? My shock came off a 09.

I dont have a c14 manual but from what ive read the clicker knob is for compression damping and the slotted screw at bottom of shock is rebound dampening, it has 3 turns,knob has 11 clicks.

bajasam said:
I dont have a c14 manual but from what ive read the clicker knob is for compression damping and the slotted screw at bottom of shock is rebound dampening, it has 3 turns,knob has 11 clicks.
Cool.Thanks.

The klicker knob is for spring preload. (To set the sag)
The adjustment screw {at the bottom} is for rebound damping. (To set rebound)
There is not a compression damping adjustment.

Pay attention to the setting's as a C-14 shock is not intended for the C-10 with Rocker.
(ie; Because of length/angle/etc changes; the C-10 rear suspension geometry is changed a lot from stock with this mod)
      My C-10 {has 2012 C-14 shock and 1 1/2" lowering rocker}
      I had to dial in "quite" a bit of preload to set the sag.
      I found the damping was set way too stiff/slow, and had to back the stock setting off to get the rebound the way I wanted it.

NOTE: I am NOT a suspension Guru. I'm only a rookie and passing on what I think.
          I watched many video's and talked with others to try to learn how to do the basic settings.
          I think I finally have it close.

Don't recall exact settings, but I think it's set at 18-20 clicks in and 1 or 1 1/4 turns on the damping.

Ride safe, Ted

o0fePs0.jpg

Return of the zombie thread

so, i just did mine yesterday. im right at 200 lbs and wanted to keep stock height.

I machined a lower bushing from scratch as i didnt get it with the shock, and milled the top c14 bushing out to 12mm so its a direct bolt in.

I also got 2 lowering links, and added a washer to the 'small' side of the lower link bolt to get clearance.

It was still close, so i set the height where i wanted it them milled the back of the link coupler nut down so it just cleared the c14 spring (about 0.008" per side).

I set the lower dampening screw about int he middle and the preload 2+ from the middle. seems really good. def rides better.

after seeing these pics i cleaned up the exhaust and replaced the hardware with stainless. yeesh. nasty.

i also used the stock c10 bracket for the air fitting and adjuster to mount an aluminum plate and the preload knob.

test fitting bushing
c14-shock_1.jpg

c14-shock_4.jpg

c14-shock_2.jpg

I installed the C14 shock on my son's 87 last weekend.  I had gotten a lowering rocker that had .800 stamped on the side of it.  It was too low as far as my son and I was concerned.  Today, I went back to a stock rocker, and I like it just fine.  It might be a tad higher than my 05 with wing sized shinko SE890 tires installed.  Putting it on the center stand is about like putting the C14 on the center stand.  Very easy.  As was mentioned earlier, you'd have to put a board under the center stand to be able to spin the rear wheel.  This bike has the ZX-9 front end with a Mean Streak rear wheel.  Tires are Pirelli angel gt's.  Took it on a little loop to test on some twisty roads a little while ago.  Happy with the handling.  Pretty sporty for a big girl. :great: :motonoises:

Attachments

• 20200512_104555_HDR.jpg
    20200512_104555_HDR.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200512_104636_HDR.jpg
    20200512_104636_HDR.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 166
If anyone is looking for a used C14 rear shock for this conversion, I have one for sale. Removed earlier from my C14 for new suspension upgrades. $40 + shipping. PM me for details.

-Robert