• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Tires

New member - Getting ready to change tires on my 2009 C14. Looking at the Michelin Pilot Roads or the Pilot Road 2. Would like to get 12K miles from a tire. I have heard good handling stories on these tires.

A lot of people have liked the PR2's. I myself just put a set on. But I've only put 15 miles on them, so I can't really comment. I ran a few sets of the Pirelli Diablo Strada's. I liked them a lot. But the mileage wasn't all that great. So I'm trying the PR2's now. They better get substantially better mileage or I'll go back the the Strada's. Mileage varies with different people. I tend to be a little hard on tires. So I tend to get less mileage than other people. But some people get real good mileage with the PR2's. But then again some said the got real good miles on those POS tires that came on the bike.(AKA 021's) Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

The Pilot Road 2 is a great tire . You will like the way they handle . I haven't tryed any other tires on the Connie 14 . I have over 3000 miles on them and they still look new .

Thanks Mike - I think I will try the RP which I think should provide slightly better mileage than the RP2 being a single compound. Front tire wore out quicker than rear but will change both at same time. Getting ready for 7500 mile checkup and will do it then. Appreciate the feedback

i dont know how you ride, but im split between highway commuting and mountain trips. i have nearly 20k miles on my current set of pr2's. i was able to squeeze not quite 8k out of the stock stones. my front pr2 still has some life left in it and ill keep it for a emergency spare. the rear is ready to be replaced. for what these tires cost, im extremely satisfied with them. i know its blasphemy, but im going to try the shinkos next just to see how they hold up. on my c10, i got 27k miles out of a set of metzeler 880's. Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

Now your talk'n my language! 12-24K miles very nice! I teach the MSF Safety course and use the C14 for demos but other than that I would say I ride pretty average on the accel/decel with lots'o lean. RP2 it is. I will put 'em on prior to my fall ride deep into NH/VT and Upstate NY. Thanks guys

I ran a set of Pilot Roads on my FJR and was not happy with their grip at all. The PR2's stick a lot better, and actually seem to last longer too. I'm still on my first set of PR2's, and it looks like I will get a bit over 7K miles out of them, which is pretty good for me. I got 2,500 miles out of the second set of Bridgestones I ran.

I recently purchased a new set of Bridgestones for my C14 at 5,200 miles. The tires cost about $430 installed. I have spent about $330 in gas in 5,200 miles so ... my effective mpg went from 41 to 18 if you include tire costs. Surprising.

Well I have about 1,500 miles on the PR2's. I hope they last a lot longer than the Pirelli's. Because the Pirelli Diablo Strada out performs these Pr2's in every category. The Pr2's must be a harder compound to explain why they don't seem to stick like the Strada's. The Pr2's seem like an OK tire. But they do tend to step out on me, especially when not up to temperature. The Strada's are much better in wet and dry even when cold. But the Strada's only wear a little better than the Bridgestone 021's that came on it (not counting the front- Strada was 2X the wear of the front 021). Where if what people are saying is true, the PR2 should wear longer. I figure that's true because of it's grip that is less than the strada. It is a trait on harder tires. They give up handling and feel for wear longevity. If the PR2 doesn't get a lot better wear, I'll go back to the Strada. It inspires confidence that the PR2 doesn't. So if you don't push the bike or corner hard a lot. The PR2 might be a good choice. If you ride aggressive, the Strada's a better tire. But you'll be buying them more often. I'm waiting to see the outcome from the new Pirelli angels. They are suppose to handle good with good wear also. I'll wait and see. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

I've had two sets of Metzeler Z-6's on my C-14 and can easily get 10-12K miles out of them. I now have a set of PR2's mounted so will see if they last any longer. I'm not a very aggressive rider and a lot of my miles are on Interstates or high-speed two-lane roads. Ride safe.

I put the shinko raven 009 tires on, so far I like how they ride, will let you all know how they last. Update, I have 5300 miles on the raven's and they are not good for this bike, wear bar already showing. so I'm looking at something else now.

For me I managed to get 4500 miles out of the 021s, so was not happy with that. Installed the PR2s just before our trip across canada and back on the US side total around 7000 miles, the PR2s worked great in the rain, that we travelled for the first 3 days or 1800 miles, riding 2 up they showed about 50% wear for the trip. so looks like they will do around 15000 miles. Do not ride too agressively most of the time but there are days.

From the stock bridgestones whitch we all agree were not so good, I tried the avon storms. Great front tire wear and even with that single compound tire. 15k km's with wear left. The rear flatened out faster but it was a sticky good griping tire. More sooted to cooler temperarures. Dunlop road smarts pure garbage on the c14 for me. were on the PR2's right now and the rear has 10k km's with great wear but the grip is not the same as the storm was. I can't comment on the front yet. for sane general riding the pr2's seem to be the choice but I'd put the Avon on the front in a heart beat. For playing in the corners I sure did like that storm rear two. The answer is two rear rims one for trips and one for play time. Rich 2008 C14 40K km's

My current PR2's have about 7-8K miles on them. The rear is at the wear bars and the front is at +/- 20% I'm really looking forward to Fred H's report on the 2010 Connie, hopefully he'll be able to give us some feedback on the supposedly new & improved 021's? They are said to have better grip and be longer lasting??? Only time will tell, same goes for the Angels. And Flylooper, by dark side, do you mean the dreaded "automotive tire" :eg:

Well I have just over 22,000 miles on my 08 C14 and am now on my 3rd set of tires. I went through 2 sets of the original Bridgestones and didn't get near the miles on the second set that I got on the first set. So now I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart and they seem to be handling better than the Bridgestones. Time will tell!

i'm a new member, my 09 14 has 2800 mi. front tire is 50% in the middle and past the wear bars on both sides, rear tire not bad compared to the front, about 50%. question is does suspension adjustments affect tire wear or is riding style the culprit. i have suspension adjusted to suit me but if i need to experiment i will, thanks

None of the above, the stock 021s just aren't that good on this bike. Switch to PR2s and it feels like a whole new bike! I had to really focus for about 100 miles on the new tires. It just tips into corners so much easier now. I only got 3500 miles out of my front 021, I am just passing 10,000 on the PR2s.

I put Shinko 05s on. Not too expensive. Great cornering. At 2000 miles still look good. UP

I've had my '08 for 14 mos now and have 25K miles on it. I ride hard, plus I weigh about 300lbs...guts, feathers and all...! I'm hard on tires. I used up the original front in 5K mi. The rear lasted about 7K mi. I then switched to Michelin PR2's. Nice handling, but I was very dissapointed in wear/mileage. Seems like I wind up with a tire that looks like a wedge, with some wear lift in the center, and the sides wiped clear out...front or rear. Front lasted 6K, back went about 8K. That's not bad mileage, but the last 1.5K on each was kinda sketchy...I had no confidence in them when pushin the twisties because they just looked so bad. I will say they never stepped out, but I didn't push as hard once I started seeing the soft side compound wearing down fast. Even rode the rear to the point of exposed steel..oops...dummy! I'll say this also, most of my riding is on trips like Hwy 1 up the California coast (Backta Shasta Rally!!) from LA to Oregon, or through Western Colorado in the Rockies, and I'm always fully loaded, with full saddlebags and a large tailbag on the passenger seat and luggage rack. I'm trying PR's now, the single compound tires, to try and get a little better mileage. Hint: buy the tools, do your own tires (including balancing), and buy your tires from the Motorcycle Superstore online...way cheap! I got my PR's for less than $300, delivered to my front door.

I've had alot of usage with Michelin Pilot Road tires on 4 different bikes, each one lasted over 10,000 miles. Once I hit the wear bars its time to change, all it takes is one trip in heavy rain and you'll hydroplane with low tread. I'm trying out the new 2C model but it will be awhile. All have given good grip, no surprises, good in wet weather, Also good response with Pirelli but sold the bike before running up high mileage. Wasn't impressed with Metzlers on older model Z6's took along time to scuff in and only lasted 6500 miles.