• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cal Sci bad business practices...

heastill9818

I purchased a Cal Sci windshield about 2 months ago. I was happy with the improvements of the shield over the stock one. I took the bike for a trip to the mountains for the Beat the Heat event. When I returned I noticed that there was a milky/dusty spot about an inch or so above the vent. I raised the shield while I was off the bike and identified the problem. The windshield is slightly touching the cowling of the bike and the vibration of the two over time has created damage to the cowl and the windshield. It is obvious that the product was not built correctly or was not engineered correctly to the specs of the Concours 14. So I gave Cal Sci a call to find out what they could do to fix this problem. Mark Lawrence (OWNER) picked up the phone. I did my best to explain the situation to him but was abruptly interrupted several times by him as if he knew what I was explaining to him but still acted very vague on the subject. I then offered to send him pictures and again a abruptly interrupted me in my offering " no,no,NO... I KNOW what it looks like .....we have seen this several times with the FJR's but not the Concours's." It was obvious he has had this conversation several times in the past, then it happened....
Mark gave me his "fix" for the problem. "So here is what you do... raise your windshield so you can get to the spot on the cowl (damaged cowl) and cut a small piece of electrical tape and put it on the cowl, and that will fix it. No one will know it is there but you and the spot on the windshield will stop rubbing." At this point I just sat there in silence for a moment, then asked to speak to the owner (not knowing it was him) because his resolution for his $250 windshield wasn't even close to an option I was going to live with. I then clarified with the OWNER of Cal Sci that he wanted me to literally put electrical tape over the damage to fix his designed windshield??? He then abruptly interrupted again and loudly said "send it back for full refund!!". It was disappointing that the conversation had to get to this but it is obvious, this guy has zero customer skills or support for his product. So I asked for a return label to send his product back......silence, nothing, no response for about 7 seconds, then he repeats "send it back for refund that's all I am going to do for you, I don't pay return shipping." Finally, I asked him a question, if he had a nice bike and purchased a defective shield from a vendor... would he put electrical tape on the damage from the defect windshield caused? ... He hung up the phone.

So beware when dealing with Cal Sci ....you are rolling the dice to get a product that fits correctly and will for sure have very poor support and warranty backing it.

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpeg
    IMG_6065.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6067.jpeg
    IMG_6067.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 122
Might want to put this in the C14 section. Sorry for your bad experience.

I ordered something and it came to me wrong , when i talked the manufacturer he tried to play it off like i gave him the wrong information, eventually i got the product and it is still jot correct, guess ill never do business with them again and so far i have not even mounted the product.

This is discouraging as i wanted to get one at some point. A friend of mine got a large and it was too big, they let him return in and get a medium after he realized the large was too big for him. They did him right, sucks they are being this way to you.

Unfortunately, I have the same rub area on my windshield of the same model CalSci (pre-2015). My machine is a 2017.

Planning to add a couple aluminum washers under the rubber hardware. A very small amount of interference is occurring and I believe it may be only at speed when fully lowered, so I’ve avoided lowering all the way when riding until I can get some ‘standoffs’.

My contact area is not as pronounced but it is there, looks more like a bug splat… I am not happy with this development. This pre-2015 shield is on a 2017, appears to offer (as CalSci said it would) more strength with the smaller interior opening design. I do like the protection of the CalSci but disappointed the made to fit 2017 would fail (cracks around mounting holes) and now the solution being a stronger design has an interference with the dash.

I would suggest filing a BBB report for the poor response.

I had the same issue with a Cal-Sci shorty but noticed it before it made a lasting mark. It only seemed to touch in the full down position so I stuck a small clear vinyl "bumper" on the shield. That solved the problem. It didn't bother me so I did not report it too Cal-Sci. Looking for a little more wind and noise control, I just swithched to a MRA Vario and love it.

Unfortunately, I have the same rub area on my windshield of the same model CalSci (pre-2015). My machine is a 2017.

Planning to add a couple aluminum washers under the rubber hardware. A very small amount of interference is occurring and I believe it may be only at speed when fully lowered, so I’ve avoided lowering all the way when riding until I can get some ‘standoffs’.

My contact area is not as pronounced but it is there, looks more like a bug splat… I am not happy with this development. This pre-2015 shield is on a 2017, appears to offer (as CalSci said it would) more strength with the smaller interior opening design. I do like the protection of the CalSci but disappointed the made to fit 2017 would fail (cracks around mounting holes) and now the solution being a stronger design has an interference with the dash.

I would suggest filing a BBB report for the poor response.
You are correct, I don't think it touches fully down until at speed. my picture looks bad but it is just mostly the acrylic dust that has spread from the spot. I can wet sand and buff out the shield no problem. I will most likely go with shims first, then fuzzy velcro side if I must... makes the most sense to me.

I had the same issue with a Cal-Sci shorty but noticed it before it made a lasting mark. It only seemed to touch in the full down position so I stuck a small clear vinyl "bumper" on the shield. That solved the problem. It didn't bother me so I did not report it too Cal-Sci. Looking for a little more wind and noise control, I just swithched to a MRA Vario and love it.
just so I know what you are talking about, the MRA Vario is added to the top of the windshield and is adjustable correct?

I've been running one of their "tall" shields on and off on my '08 ABS since I got the bike in 2010 (shield installed October of that year) and have yet to experience an issue with it.

I've been running one of their "tall" shields on and off on my '08 ABS since I got the bike in 2010 (shield installed October of that year) and have yet to experience an issue with it.
I have zero proof but I strongly believe the replacement / warranty wind shields (WS) are possibly boogers (wrong radius angles) reason I say this is my first windshield from CalSci was perfect fit but I cracked it on a closed course traveling too fast after two+ years.

The newly mounted Quickshifter helps me through the gears much quicker and suddenly higher speeds are being reached quicker.

Second CalSci WS was a warranty replacement and again a WS for a 17’ C14 with the wide flip door slot, blew that one up in 2 months - same thing as above. Upon install I noted fit up was rather poor and looked closer to the dash than the original. I pinned the old WS #1 and new WA #2 side x side and noted the angle was different but mounted up to leave on trip and seemed fine. After I popped this WS I mentioned the radius issue to nothing but radio silence.

Third shield is a C14 <15’ YR design with smaller cutout in center and also exhibits similar flatter radius as the second and since there is not the big cutout I am now getting rubbing..

I am shimming my WS before next ride, but if this shield pops I am done with CalSci WS and will need to find another solution that offers more protection than stock but can also go the distance…

For the first two years of the original CalSci WS we were very pleased.. waiting with bated breath (sorta) if the supposedly stronger design holds up to the task.

Before I bought an mra Vario and added a madstad bracket, I might have tried an oversized shield. After reading what some others have experienced, I decided I didn't want to gamble that the mechanism would hold up. With that said, I'd rather have the windshield crack than break the windshield mechanism. It must take a considerable force to damage the shield. If the shield doesn't take the damage, what's next in line to deal with those forces? Has anyone priced one lately? Partzilla sells it 7 percent below msrp. $692.15

As for the replacement shields being "seconds", that's just not ethical in my book. I definitely would have a problem with that!