• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

California Coast Campout, Apr 21-23, 2017

Wandrng

Just a nerd who rides
California Coast Campout

April 21-23, 2017

A three day Southwest COG Region Meet & Greet along California's scenic northern coastline near Mendocino. This will be a great time to meet old friends, other COGgers, plus make new friends and riding buddies. This will be a casual event without official planned rides and gatherings.

Where: California's Mendocino Coast near Manchester State Park & Beach Area

Lodging: Manchester KOA Campground - tents, RV's and cabins
Please make your own reservations (there is no special code or anything)
Tent Areas and Cabins are shareable - use the forum thread to find roomies
  • Manchester Beach / Mendocino Coast KOA
        44300 Kinney Road Manchester, CA 95459
        Reserve: 800-562-4188
        Info: 707-882-2375

(a number of attendees already have cabins and tents reserved near K12, K13 & TK1 spots on the KOA map
        but reserve camping spots anywhere you like
        Manchester KOA Compground Map )

Food: You are pretty much on your own. We may plan a Saturday evening meal and gathering - please check back. There is a small market near the KOA as well as a small restaurant. (it will not handle everyone at the same time, just sayin')

Activities: Of course, there are some amazing roads for awesome riding in this area and we encourage you to explore them. There is also the beach, hiking, site-seeing, tide-pooling and socializing at the camp. Relatively nearby are wineries, lighthouses, redwoods and Mendocino.

Getting There: We encourage attendees to post in the forum thread if they are coming and share their intended route. Riders can then group up to share the adventure.

There is a group leaving from Sacramento area on April 21st at 9:30 kickstands up. Riding by Lake Berryessa, through wine country, Hwy 128 from Calistoga to the coast then south to Manchester. Meetup for this portion at Black Bear Diner in Sac/Natomas

California Coast Campout Location Overview

KOA Campground Location

Friday Meeting Point for Sac riders heading to the Campout

Crap, I will not quite be headed to the west coast then. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!  :great: :motonoises:

I did this 2 or 3 years ago and was a flat blast. The KOA campground is well maintained with a short hike to the coast and the scenery and roads are awesome nor cal coastal happiness. Highly recommended and Old Man approved  :great: :beerchug: :motonoises: :)

Gypsy JR said:
Crap, I will not quite be headed to the west coast then. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!  :great: :motonoises:
Bummer.

Must be a little to early for you to make on the way to the Bun Cooler? At least we'll get to see you and enjoy your bonfire in Idaho.

Hi Keith, Looks like a great event! Think we can get a group together from down here in SoCal to come up! Love that area...be fun to ride all those roads! It is the weekend after Easter so we should be good to go! 

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

WANDRNG said:
Gypsy JR said:
Bummer.

Must be a little to early for you to make on the way to the Bun Cooler? At least we'll get to see you and enjoy your bonfire in Idaho.

Well, I'll be at Cliff's in AR at that time, leaving there the 24th of April I think it is. Arriving Monterey CA on the 28th. Staying at the Laguna Seca County Park while I visit my buddy Jones.

Then up to Kamiah.

I'm not sure we'll be able to stand remotely close to Cliff's fire, he already has a stack of wood built up adequate to illuminate the dark side of the moon.

Rusty said:
Hi Keith, Looks like a great event! Think we can get a group together from down here in SoCal to come up! Love that area...be fun to ride all those roads! It is the weekend after Easter so we should be good to go! 
ZG said:
Sounds like fun, will keep this one on my radar...

Oh oh. Looks like company is coming. Us NorCal folks are gonna have to get our act together to impress the relatives.

It would be awesome to have folks from the North and South of us to join in the fun. Keep me updated! :great:

So are you folks staying in the cabins or are folks tentin it?

What type of weather is typical for that place in late April?

:sign0144:  :campfire:

ZG said:

:sign0144:  :campfire:

My experience it is usually cold,foggy and windy at times, I use to dive for abolone I. The area for years.

FTB530 said:
ZG said:

My experience it is usually cold,foggy and windy at times, I use to dive for abolone I. The area for years.
There is normally a marine layer of cool fog in the mornings.  If the weather is good, that burns of by late mornings letting the sun shine through.  From the talk and past events at this same spot - it's about 50/50 tent vs. cabin.

Man, this sounds like a great get together! Too bad I'm waaaaaay down in Florida. Plus, I'll be at Cliff's rally just like JR. One day, I may get to ride in California! Have fun!!

I'd love to be there, too, especially since my daughter in Sacramento is due to deliver her second child and first daughter about the same time.

We'll need lots of pictures and a story for the Concourier, of course!

Sorry guys, looks like I'm out for this one, just can't seem to make the dates work with my other April trip, sorry...  :truce:

Have fun though!  :beerchug:

ZG said:
Sorry guys, looks like I'm out for this one, just can't seem to make the dates work with my other April trip, sorry...
Bummer - see you at the BC

Swampcat said:
I'd love to be there, too, especially since my daughter in Sacramento is due to deliver her second child and first daughter about the same time.
We'll need lots of pictures and a story for the Concourier, of course!
Two great excuses to be here  :great:
We'll work on those words and images

Eddie-FL said:
Man, this sounds like a great get together! Too bad I'm waaaaaay down in Florida. Plus, I'll be at Cliff's rally just like JR. One day, I may get to ride in California! Have fun!!
We'll keep planning stuff to entice you out here!

Robert said:
Will be coming down from Grants Pass area- anyone interested in riding down the coast give me a shout
Awesome. Those of us coming from the other direction will see you there.

Only one week away.

I look forward to riding, yapping, eating , lying, drinking and relaxing with my COGger friends over at the beautiful CA coast.

Took a quick look today, and the weather report is looking great.

It's not to late to join the fun - just make your KOA reservation and show up

Was just getting ready to give this a bump. This is a triple play event. Great Folks, Great riding, Great scenery. Wish I could go but I think I'm banging the red line on Vaca time  :'(

I have some friends that reserved a one room cabin and they can not go.  It is too late to get their deposit back but KOA will transfer it if you use their name.  Michelle Siemens email-chele223@gmail.com or  PM me.

Wayne

PanAm52 said:
I have some friends that reserved a one room cabin and they can not go.  It is too late to get their deposit back but KOA will transfer it if you use their name.  Michelle Siemens email-chele223@gmail.com or  PM me.

Wayne

7 day notice to cancel, I believe a fee will be charged, I cancelled my cabin, called them to cancel and could not understand one word the lady said to me,next day called and left info on a message, I may end up paying for a empty cabin.

PanAm52 said:
I have some friends that reserved a one room cabin and they can not go.  It is too late to get their deposit back but KOA will transfer it if you use their name.  PM me.
Bummer - would have been good to have Mike and Michelle join us.  See ya sometime tomorrow Wayne.

FTB530 said:
7 day notice to cancel, I believe a fee will be charged, I cancelled my cabin, called them to cancel and could not understand one word the lady said to me,next day called and left info on a message, I may end up paying for a empty cabin.
Floyd - didn't know you were coming! And now you're not. From excitement to sadness with one post.  Hope we see you soon. How's the healing? Should be close to resuming normal activities right?

Tomorrow is the day most folks are heading to the coast for the CA Coast Campout.

It's not to late to get in a KOA reservation and join us. In the post above there might even be easy cabin transfers still available.

Curvy roads, beautiful scenery, spring weather and fairly, well, pretty good company  ;D

So far CA, OR and NV will be represented by COGgers.

There is a group ride from the Sac area to the coast KOA if that works for you.

All details are in the first post of this thread or on the calendar

WANDRNG said:
PanAm52 said:
I have some friends that reserved a one room cabin and they can not go.  It is too late to get their deposit back but KOA will transfer it if you use their name.  PM me.
Bummer - would have been good to have Mike and Michelle join us.  See ya sometime tomorrow Wayne.

FTB530 said:
Floyd - didn't know you were coming! And now you're not. From excitement to sadness with one post.  Hope we see you soon. How's the healing? Should be close to resuming normal activities right?
[/quote

Keith I am doing pretty good with the healing , as good as before the accident,  I let my cobra insurance lapse and I realize it would probably be dumb of me to go ride a motorcycle without any medical coverage I just couldn't pay $1500 a month so I have wait until I get back to work and get my medical coverage going again before I take a chance on the motorcycle. I'm thinking about going and buying one and put it in my garage and start adding all my farkles  to it so that is soon as i get the medical coverage I will be ready.

A great weekend of riding, eating and conversating. Some enjoyed scenic rides, others more technical rides and some just went to the beach. Friday and Saturday night saw the group gathered at the camp picnic tables for simple camping BBQs and cozy fireside chats. A simple, relaxing, fun filled weekend  for all. Just a great bunch of COGgers.

If you weren't there - you should have been!

Thanks to Buddy and Lisa Scherr for planning it up.

Point Arena Lighthouse
_mg_5841.jpg

Mid Evening Meal
_mg_5972.jpg

Gathering
_mg_5981.jpg

Cabin Life
_mg_5831.jpg

Seals
_mg_5865.jpg

More Photos