• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

California concours carbs

Netters123

Hello
Just wondering what's the differants with the Kawasaki zg1000 1999 carberators vs everywhere else in the US according to techspark manual and a few other I have looked at.

Not sure what you are referring to as a 'starter jet'.

Parts fiche shows nothing under that name or with size of 45 or 55.

i have a tech spark manual that speak of a starter jet #45 for california models i have heard that its part of the chock but not sure was just looking for info. I resently sent my carbs off to be rebuilt it wasnt till i got them back that i was informed that they didnt do muvch work on california carbs .My bike ran when i took the carbs off.i started it once since they were returned to me and the bike died and havent started since then .I am upset becuase i should of been told that they didnt work on the california carbs it is 99 zg1000 never had a problem till now .I thought the person doing my carbs was on top of the differance jets that californias requiers. now iam out 500 bucvks and i have a bike that doesnt start i should of just done it myself

i have a tech spark manual that speak of a starter jet #45 for california models i have heard that its part of the chock but not sure was just looking for info. I resently sent my carbs off to be rebuilt it wasnt till i got them back that i was informed that they didnt do muvch work on california carbs .My bike ran when i took the carbs off.i started it once since they were returned to me and the bike died and havent started since then .I am upset becuase i should of been told that they didnt work on the california carbs it is 99 zg1000 never had a problem till now .I thought the person doing my carbs was on top of the differance jets that californias requiers. now iam out 500 bucvks and i have a bike that doesnt start i should of just done it myself
Are you sure the carbs are getting fuel ? You mentioned that it started then died . What position is the petcock on and is the vacuum line attatched to the petcock ?

Yes.. there are many many bikes running the 2 minute mod in California... with no issues. There is no such thing as California Carbs.. They are all the same in North America. The difference is the jetting was a little different and there is a charcoal canister on California bikes that everyone removes anyway.. most likely yours have already been removed. They did NOT say California Carbs.. they said "California Bikes" because there are NOT a lot of California "Bikes" in Florida...... There is a massively huge difference between those two words " Carbs and Bikes" .. So bottom line.. your carbs were done correctly.. do not look to your carbs as being your problem. You are missing something.. Do you have spark? Do you have fuel in the carbs? Drain the bowls.. any debris? Are you using fresh gas? Did you clean your tank first? Do you have a vacuum leak? Are the carb boots installed correctly?

Last edited:
The starter jet that you are referring to is part of the fuel enrichment system (what you are saying is the choke) and I believe is part of the carb body that cannot be changed out, thus the CA/US/CN designation that is found in the parts fiche. The starter needles are normal closed after the bike is running and warmed up. I doubt if this is your problem.

The CA model main jet is at 130, where the US (49 states) is at 125. The main jet is what most folks mess with taking it to 120 or so slightly leaner.

They usually don't mess with the pilot jet size, just how many turns the pilot screw is out, and the starting point is usually 2 turns out from seated position.

If you are saying that your plugs are wet and it dies after running a short time, then the shop you sent them too may have gotten the fuel height set wrong in the carbs, but that is just a guess and I really don't know that for a fact.

That is why folks here say to send them to Steve (Shoodaben engineering) because he does know how to work on these carbs and he sets them up on a working engine before you get them back.

Just to keep the terms straight, the pilot jet is internal to the carb and not tunable.

The fuel / air screws ARE tunable (the parts fiche refers to them as 'SCREW-PILOT AIR' - kinda confusing) and usually turned out 2 full turns as a starting point.

There's a lot here we don't know. When the bike died, how did it die?

Instantly? Missing? Sputtering as if running out of fuel?

Actually, the pilot jet can be changed out, it is 92064 in the parts fiche for the carb.

On page 2-9 they talk about the adjustments for the jets if the bike is used above 4,000 feet. The main goes to 122 (125 for CA) and the pilot goes to 32 (from 35).