• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Camera Recommendations

funsize

I'm looking into buying a Go-Pro or something similar to it to put on my motorcycle.  After my accident last year, I want to have one on my bike in case I get hit again.  So please give me your recommendations and why.  Thank you.

Irene
2015 Vulcan 650s

Irene, here’s another one to look at.
https://sykik.com/
Talked to them a couple of years ago at AIMEXPO. Looks to be a nice system. The big issue with GoPro and similar cameras is that unless you get a setup to power from the bike, you only have about 20-30 minutes of recording.

+1 that GoPro might not be the way to go. As mentioned, battery power is a big issue. GoPro is really designed for very high resolution for somewhat brief scenes/segments. If you want something that runs continuously for an hourlong ride, it's probably to much detail and not enough stamina. Some of the cheaper dashcams may be a better way to go.

Hi.  Not so much a recommendation, but rather, a review that might help you either decide on, or eliminate possibilities.   
I have a Sony HDR-AS300.  I got it two years ago.  It came out of the box with a battery pack, a waterproof housing, and a remote, which can be attached to a wrist band, also included.  It does not come with a memory card, which is a curious omission in my book.  As with many Sony products, other items will have to be purchased if you intend to actually use it.  Especially while riding.  Sony sells helmet mounting hardware and a lens protector.  Also, you will probably need a spare battery. 
On the plus side, the picture quality is excellent.  (This is not a 4K camera.)  I chose it because it is more streamlined than the GoPro, and can be mounted a little more discretely to the side as opposed to the top of your helmet.  I am, however, looking into mounting the unit directly to the bike.  An under-mirror mount looks promising.  Also, the manual is available for 'free' on line, which means - if you are like me and hate scrolling - you will have to incur additional printing expenses.  Sony, to their credit, offer a program, also free, that will allow you to do basic editing and to upload your video to YouTube should you choose.
I purchased a 64GB memory card which is good for about two hours.  According to the manual, a 128GB card will last 5 hours, though I can't verity that.     
As far as negatives go, here's the thing.  The battery is rated for 125 minutes continuous recording time.  If you monkey around with it, the battery will operate the camera for just under an hour and a half.  Maybe less.
Hence, the need for a spare.  Charging times vary from four to six hours.  You can charge your camera via computer, or if you own an iPhone, by using that charger.  (An adapter is available for the C 14, in case you were wondering.)
The battery that operates the remote also lasts for about as long.  It seems to fully charge in about 2 to 3 hours.  The unit is sealed, so when the battery runs down, that's it.  No provision for a spare, in other words.  The remote is a little tricky to operate while wearing gloves. 
The AS300 is said to be 'water resistant,' which means you must use the waterproof housing in a heavy downpour.  The housing is bulky, but works.
Sony accessories are expensive. 
If you expect to add running commentary to your video, you will probably have to buy a separate microphone that attaches to the inside of your helmet, assuming you have a full face.  Otherwise you will get a lot of wind/engine noise.
I can't think of anything else at the moment.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.   

I liked MntRdr's 2 camera idea.
Looked at the less expensive as a comparison.
Came across this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5TBLRW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07M5TBLRW&pd_rd_w=YFb3s&pf_rd_p=46cdcfa7-b302-4268-b799-8f7d8cb5008b&pd_rd_wg=6V5OW&pf_rd_r=ZVF58G05TQ4GYRNKM84Y&pd_rd_r=a571a09a-6909-11e9-851c-1df216413549

I realize it would not be as good/image quality as the one he posted.
    I mention it because it says; it records both camera's continuously.
                                              it links to your phone.
I didn't see these options on the camera that MtnRdr posted?

Thinking these options would be good to look for when buying a dual camera setup?

Ride safe, Ted

I have a Halocam M1 installed for the same reason you're looking for one.  I like it.  The camera is basically an install and forget camera.  When you start the bike, it starts.  Shut off the bike, it shuts off.  You get a nice clear picture of everything going on in front of you...and in back. 

One caution:  No matter what camera you buy, get the fastest memory card you can get.  I initially was using a Samsung EVO memory card.  It wasn't fast enough.  And if you read the fine print, it said it wasn't suitable for use with any kind of action camera.  When I returned that card and bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro memory card, it made a huge difference.

I have no financial interest in Halocam.  But I have established a good relationship with their Customer Service representative, Amos Zea.  When I asked him last Sunday why the Halocam M1 was no longer available on Amazon, here's his reply.

APR 18, 2019, 1:16 PM
Amos.  How are you?  I see comments on forums where they are asking about the Halocam M1, but can't find it anymore.
I hope all is well with you.
SUN 3:44 AM

Hi Chris, Thanks for your concern! The M1 is just out of stock, and will be in stock in about half a month. I'm sorry for this confusion to you all...
We made some small changes. We change the appearance of the DVR unit, and enlarge the buttons, enlarge the SD card slot which help to easy plug the card.
something like medium term modification  😁
SUN 7:46 AM

Great!  I'll pass this along to others on forums where they are asking what happened.
SUN 11:53 PM

Thank you Chris! There are also other old customers came and asked me why they can't find the product on Amazon 😂 They also helped me to post the information on the forums. If you have friends who are interested in M1, you can introduce them to me before May/1, I can give them 20% off of the sale price. 😛

So if you're interested in an excellent dash camera, let me know and I'll get you in touch with Amos for 20% off.

Chris

I like the Halocam 155 degree cameras. The 20% off offer is nice but what is the original or sale price as it is not currently posted on Amazon?

Thank, Chris.

While I like and still recommend the GoPro's for quality video and special rides, I agree the battery life can be an issue especially in the cold. It's been harder for the Hero 6 & 7 since they don't have a battery eliminator solution like they did in my Hero 3+ black edition. If you're using it like a dashcam solution for accidents, I would definitely ping Daboo and wait for the Halocam product availability direct or Amazon. I'm definitely going to take that route soon...

on that note, Daboo (Chris), I'm interested in the Halocam!!! We should also go for a ride soon so I can check out your camera! Would love to get these mounted for the C14 folks for review and mounting options. I've been riding in and around Carnation/Monroe lately and will venture to the N Cascade Hwy soon as it's finally open!

Cheers!

Hey, Chris.

Also need Amos' contact info since May 1 is coming up fast, I may just have to jump in on this if the price is right. Definitely interested. Might have to get a 2nd one for the car.

Oh yeah, will it automatically save/protect the last 30/60 seconds of the recording in case of an accident?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Leo

robertv said:
... and will venture to the N Cascade Hwy soon as it's finally open!

Cheers!
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to Amos.

Robert...do you want to ride up to the North Cascades Highway Monday (tomorrow)?  It's open.  The effect with the high snow banks will be spectacular.

Chris

Hey Chris, PM coming your way. But just in case for visibility, thanks for suggesting tomorrow for a ride. Unfortunately need to work and we'll have to schedule something a week out at least so that I can plan for it, i.e., call in "sick" and/or "wfh", etc.  >:D  I like being spontaneous most of the time but Mondays are busy for me.

Robert

Thank you so much for your recommendations.  All of you are awesome.  I'm going to look into your recommendations and decide which one will work best for me and what I want. 

Irene
2015 Vulcan 650s

Hey Chris, what is the recording time for a 128 &/or a 256 GB card? Thanks for getting Robert & I in touch with Amos!

Leo

This is not what I do but it may work and be cheaper. 
My Hero Session is small and was easy to mount in a few different ways.  It has a mode where it loops through like 20 minutes and then starts to erase the old for the new.  If you have a mishap you just need to remember to turn it off before it writes over the good parts.  I can also power the unit from a USB power pack for hours like that BUT it does make it NOT water resistant when you have the door open and the power pack connected.  You could also use a cig lighter to USB adapter for extended power.

My guess is many cameras have this rolling record feature too.

You guys are amazing!  Thank you so much for your recommendations.  I'll let you know as soon as I have bought one.

Irene
2015 Vulcan 650s