• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can you easily swap the ECU between stock and "enhanced" units?

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
When I bought my used 2011 I was told it has a custom ECU and it definitely has an aftermarket exhaust. And I recall back in the day, the carbs had to be tuned to the exhaust, which leads me to my question........Now that Taxifornia is crushing owners with modified ECU units, would it be possible to install a stock ECU unit and go have the We Just Want Your Money state mandated emissions test and then replace the stock "just for the test" unit for my original ECU?

Seems like a simple fix to me if the stock ECU and compensate for the non-stock exhaust.

Hey Steve, sounds like a potential new market - Go Get Your Test ECU Rentals.....

you will have to source another ECU, preferably with the same PN as original, and have it paired to your bike through a KDS unit. Can't be done remotely and still have the kipass protection. You will also need to return the exhaust to stock, the carb rules are that if the cat is removed in the swap, it's a violation.
Steve

When I bought my used 2011 I was told it has a custom ECU and it definitely has an aftermarket exhaust. And I recall back in the day, the carbs had to be tuned to the exhaust, which leads me to my question........Now that Taxifornia is crushing owners with modified ECU units, would it be possible to install a stock ECU unit and go have the We Just Want Your Money state mandated emissions test and then replace the stock "just for the test" unit for my original ECU?

Seems like a simple fix to me if the stock ECU and compensate for the non-stock exhaust.

Hey Steve, sounds like a potential new market - Go Get Your Test ECU Rentals.....
Where is California testing/crushing motorcycle owners, i have never heard of such a emission test required for any motorcycle in California. But i am sure they will someday

you will have to source another ECU, preferably with the same PN as original, and have it paired to your bike through a KDS unit. Can't be done remotely and still have the kipass protection. You will also need to return the exhaust to stock, the carb rules are that if the cat is removed in the swap, it's a violation.
Steve

Thanks Steve, you're the best!

I am aware that bikes do not have to be smog checked here is the "People Republic" yet, but the tyranny of Sacramento knows no bounds and it is only a matter of time and I am just thinking ahead. I will hopefully make my escape from the land of fruits, flakes, and nuts before that happens.

Steve

You mean I can have that damned KiPASS disabled?!?

(Why did'nt I just buy a ZX-14 and add bars and bags?)

No emissions test in MA either and I haven't heard any rumors of testing bikes for emissions either. All bike and car inspections are done at dealerships or independent garages that have to be certified by the state. Only a few garages in each town are certified to do inspections. They do the basic checks, all lights, turn signals, brake lights, tires are checked for wear and cracks, forks are checked for leaky seals, VIN #'s have to match. Some locations will check for bearing play in the wheels and steering. They don't check for loud exhausts and they don't check to see if the ECU has been flashed.

You mean I can have that damned KiPASS disabled?!?

(Why did'nt I just buy a ZX-14 and add bars and bags?)
Then you would have to carry a can of chain lube. IMHO putting a FOB in the pocket is a bit easier. Sorta like grabbing a FOB when driving the wife's car. Only real difference is Kipass has no door locks. ;)

My 09 ECU has the mountain runner tune and I happened to have a stock ECU. I have a KDS unit was able to make the bike work with either ECU, but Steve's Mountain Runner is installed 99% of the time.