• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CANCELLED: 2020 SC Wildflower Rally dates

fartymarty

SC AAD
It'll be awhile (couple weeks?) before I post up all the information and get the registration notice up. This is just to get the dates out there for those doing advance planning.

March 27th thru 29th 2020 at the River Inn in Hunt Tx.*

*subject to sanctioning and insurance acquisition.

OK, the event is on the COG SC calendar and is open for registration. Hopefully I haven't screwed it (the registration page) up too badly and have all of the dates in correctly.

Here is a LINK.

For those of you attending for the first time and are not familiar with the area, there is nowhere close by to eat so we prepare or bring in food so that nobody has to ride in the dark looking for deer along Hwy 39 when they come back from dinner.
Please register for the event so we know how much food to purchase in advance.
There are three meals planned, a Friday night supper, Saturday morning Breakfast and a Saturday night dinner.
I hope to see many of you there, yes even you TED! :))

i-v4n8Mg8-M.gif

Just talked to the wife. So it will either be just me or all of us just depends on the room size. But either way Ill be there.  :motonoises: Cant wait!!!!

Sounds like a rally I would like to go too! May be able to make it!! All the way from California!!  :)

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Just made the room reservations.

gr33nmAn

@ #10 by Rusty- Russ, you’ll love this ride. I won’t be able to make this one but you’ll have a blast. Great group and some of the best roads in Texas. If you have any questions about it ask Farty Marty or Craig (kv5e).

Right now it's looking like a no go for us this year.
Will be the first time we've missed Wildflower in some time..
Will know more at a later date.

Ride safe, Ted

LSGiant said:
So this is my first Wildflower.
Anything special I should know.

Basically show up. 

The resort is a long distance from the nearest store, so make sure you bring some drinks and snacks if you think you might want some.  I think they are still planning a Friday & Saturday night dinner and breakfast burritos on Saturday morning.

Depending on your cell carrier, you may or may not have cell service.  WiFi there for the most part is good.

AirMonger said:
Registered.  Any info on rooms at River Inn? Will we get a price break this year?

Check the rally page.  I believe it says to ask for the COG rate.  It's $10 cheaper a night if I recall correctly.

Registered.  Fortunate that my business trip was cancelled....Guess I'll be in quarantine with the rest of those cases of Corona.... :motonoises: :motonoises: 

The elephant in the room: Corona virus aka Covit-19

First off, I will not cancel the 2020 Wildflower unless one of the following happens.
1. We lose our insurance
2. A government entity with jurisdiction requires it.
3. COG tells me to.
4. Significant cancellations (90%?)
5. The venue tells us not to show up because they will refuse access.
6. Something else important that I haven’t thought of.

However, I will say that my wife would like for me to cancel. She is high risk and if she were to get the virus her survival chances wouldn’t be good.
  However, just because I love COG so much (and my wife too), I told her I would self-isolate out in the Big Bend N.P./Terlingua area for 7-14 days after our event.
Yes, I do make sacrifices for our group.*
:))

However, I do ask the following:
If you have hand sanitizer please bring it for yourself. I can’t find any to bring for the event.
If you have a cough please bring some face masks for yourself.
If you have a fever,  please cancel and stay home.

I’m no medical person by any means, but it seems likely that with the pollen starting to come out from all the Oak trees that it is likely several of us may be having hay fever/allergy problems
at this event. So please make sure that if you also have a fever to please stay away.

I’m open to suggestions and hear concerns of anyone registered for this event. I encourage you to reach out to me with those thoughts  through PMs or emails if that encourages candor and free expression of concerns rather than posting here on the forum.

The primary (only?) cost for the registration is the food for three meals and/or perhaps the large room rental for the Saturday night meal. If you choose not to eat and let me know before supplies are purchased/ordered, I will do everything I can (I don't think there will be any problem) to get your registration money refunded or at minimum partially refunded.

Thanks, Marty

*edit: for those of you that don't know me, this could sound self aggrandizing, but it's really tongue in cheek as I love Big Bend and have been visiting there since '69.

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts

Joe Rogan and the CDC on Coronavirus

Please watch the video above, it may help you to make an informed decision.

Wilford-Brimley.jp-14915.jpg

It's the right thing to do! - Wilfred Brimley

I am going to the Wildflower ride. Just booked a room at the motel. Anyone that doesn't mind sharing for Friday and Saturday let me know. It was the last room they had so I grabbed it.  call 952 3939801 , email  mp11381@yahoo.com, or reply on forum.....      Big Mike  from Minnesota

I am not going to say Mr. Osterholm's is wrong this time but thiswas his prediction about Ebola in 2014. He lost a lot of credibility with me on that one. He was on the radio a lot in Minnesota and he always seemed to lean on the alarmist side. Hate to say it but you don't get much air play if you don't lean on the alarmist side.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/09/the-ebola-epidemic-is-about-to-get-worse-111493

As Marty said if the government says we should not meet we will cancel. Right now I am not aware of any such restrictions for a gathering of our size. Everyone's situation is different. Please consider all sides and make the decision that is best for you.

LSGiant said:
I am not going to say Mr. Osterholm's is wrong this time but thiswas his prediction about Ebola in 2014. He lost a lot of credibility with me on that one. He was on the radio a lot in Minnesota and he always seemed to lean on the alarmist side. Hate to say it but you don't get much air play if you don't lean on the alarmist side.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/09/the-ebola-epidemic-is-about-to-get-worse-111493

As Marty said if the government says we should not meet we will cancel. Right now I am not aware of any such restrictions for a gathering of our size. Everyone's situation is different. Please consider all sides and make the decision that is best for you.

Mr. Osterholm is right about two important things that are different from the Ebola Zaire scare from 2014:

1. The virus is infectious by airborne vectoring with asymptomatic persons shedding virus.
2. The infection cycle is in its very early stages in CONUS

With the RT-qPCR testing now ramping, up it will quickly become apparent that community transmission rates are substantial and increasing. What rate of increase will depend on the mitigation measures and the effectiveness from these measures.

I think that Marty has asked reasonable precautions be taken by those attending.

I may not have an option to attention. My company works closely with all of the largest health care providers in the US providing  critical communications that is directly related to patient care. All of these providers are ramping up and my employment may cancel my time off.

I hope the experts are wrong, but the science from various sources says that is not very likely. I also expect additional restrictions will be imposed as the crisis deepens in the next weeks/months.  Motorcycling is inherent risky, use your risk management skills to mitigate personal exposure and exposing others if you learn you have symptoms.

Seek your own sources and be informed to make your own decisions. I am just trying to balance the enthusiasm with sober critical thinking as a Cogger who has attended this ride since the early 2000's should.

Craig

I plan to be there, come hell or high water.  We have dealt with high water before (seems like it rains every year).  For a group our size that is outside either sitting by the fire pit or out riding, seems like the odds of transmitting a virus would be low.  I plan to maintain as normal a life as possible until this passes.

Take Care
Steve

SATXRIDER said:
I plan to be there, come hell or high water.  We have dealt with high water before (seems like it rains every year).  For a group our size that is outside either sitting by the fire pit or out riding, seems like the odds of transmitting a virus would be low.  I plan to maintain as normal a life as possible until this passes.

Take Care
Steve

:iagree: :iagree:

I agree.  As long as my immune system is functioning well, I will try not to let the threat impact my life.

SATXRIDER said:
I plan to be there, come hell or high water. 

Hell or high water, no problem.
      Fever?..stay home please.  :great:

AmphibSailor said:
As long as my immune system is functioning well, I will try not to let the threat impact my life.
Well, fever is an immune system response, so if you have fever please don't let it impact other Cogger's lives. Stay home.

SATXRIDER said:
Take Care
I'm trying to. ;)

Looking forward to seeing you two healthy young-ins.  :)

Pamela and I have just cancelled our room. It is room 111 downstairs by the firepits is someone ants to grab it.

We will miss going this year.

Ride free,

Craig

Marty,
Of course....If I even think I have been exposed, I would bow out.  However the scare itself, would not stop me from attending.  I would not want to endanger anybody (COGGer or not), because of stupidity. 

I'm not really concerned about the virus thing, I can handle that.  But, my real concern is that since Chuck won't be there, how can I handle NO MARGARITAS!!! :'(

Mi esposa and I will be there.  We received our COVIT-19 vaccination a couple of evenings ago.  We drank a case of Corona with lime at a Quinceanera.  Bad head-ache the next morning but good by lunch.  I just hope a virus does not come along that causes sever diarrhea because people will panic and buy up all of the nasal spray!

Lovelle

We have not made our decision yet but I would like to add to Marty's comments.  I have 4 people in my close family that are high risk.  I am close too. 

If you feel there is any reason you might have been exposed I/we would appreciate if you did not attend.  If there was more community transmission in our area I would suggest canceling but as it is I think attending the rally is safe if those that attend have low/no exposure or symptoms. 

Since you are infectious before symptoms start it is also important to self isolate if you have ANY idea you may be exposed.  Travel anywhere on a plane and being in mass groups may be enough to consider yourself being exposed since there is no way to test everyone and this is spreading fast.

Thanks for hearing my opinion and I hope you and yours stay well.  Also that you all don't loose as much money as I have. :/

smithr1 said:
Since you are infectious before symptoms start it is also important to self isolate if you have ANY idea you may be exposed.  Travel anywhere on a plane and being in mass groups may be enough to consider yourself being exposed since there is no way to test everyone and this is spreading fast....
Good points.  It'll be 20 days for me (since I last traveled) on Thursday, 26MAR2020.  My travel was through from San Antonio, TX thru Kansas City, MO and Leavenworth, KS.  No known exposure and no symptoms (yet-11 days), however, it was air travel. 

I just talked to the River Inn and they are open for business and have the normal supply of toilet paper, so you can leave yours at home unless you are worried about the en-route supply. :D

A few ( 4   7  9 )  have canceled so far, but at last check we still have 27 24  22 registered.

If you wish to cancel, go to the Member area of the COG page (www.cog-online.org) where you may need to log in.
Then near the top there is a "Member Links" in the black bar near the top, and then click on "My Events" in the drop down menu.
There find the withdraw registration box on the right side. I've never withdrawn from an event so I don't know what happens after that.
please contact me.

If you don't see you participation redacted from the event,Please contact me through PM or email to let me know you've withdrawn.

EDIT: I've just been informed that your name isn't deleted from the list if you withdraw from the event, so please let me know
if you do withdraw. PM through the forum or email, I need this info before Thursday next week 3-26-2020. Thank you!

Marty

Thanks for staying the course.  Each person will need to decide if they attend based on their own individual circumstances.  For me, I don't fall into any of the high risk groups and have no contact with people who do.  So the Wildflower ride will provide a nice diversion from all the craziness.

Steve

https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/govdocs/Greg%20Abbott/2020/GA-08.pdf

Governor Gregg Abbott has issued several executive orders today. Order number one is below.

[quote author=Gov. Greg Abbott]OrderNo.1 In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, every person in Texas shall avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people. [/quote]

Accordingly I'm cancelling this event and there will not be any food service at the venue provided by COG.

The River Inn has told me that they are issuing full refunds IF you call in to cancel and verify the credit card used, as they don't want to issue refunds to the incorrect card.

Of course all are welcome to continue as individuals and socialize as you see fit, however I don't feel that I or COG should be organizing this event in light of the Governor's order.

fartymarty said:
https://lrl.texas.gov/scanned/govdocs/Greg%20Abbott/2020/GA-08.pdf

Governor Gregg Abbott has issued several executive orders today. Order number one is below.

[quote author=Gov. Greg Abbott]OrderNo.1 In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, every person in Texas shall avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.

Accordingly I'm cancelling this event and there will not be any food service at the venue provided by COG.

The River Inn has told me that they are issuing full refunds IF you call in to cancel and verify the credit card used, as they don't want to issue refunds to the incorrect card.

Of course all are welcome to continue as individuals and socialize as you see fit, however I don't feel that I or COG should be organizing this event in light of the Governor's order.
[/quote]

I saw it on the news this afternoon.... :'( :'(

In light of all that's going on, its the right decision.  Looked like the weather was going to be nice for a change, but at least I live close to the Hill Country and can ride by myself.

Take Care
Steve

There's fall events for the SC if this dies down to a dull roar. 

Everyone, take care of yourselves, families, and coworkers if you are still not teleworking.

Fire up the bike and blow the soot out!

Craig

Joshua and i are still going

just going to be safe and cautious

he really looks forward to this ride and has his new bike so...............dad just cant say no

should be some empty roads and weather does look good.   

if anyone else is going look forward to seeing you there.   

Robert Holder  979-332-0425 cell   

Dang ding darn.  I was looking forward to sittin around the camp fire with yall.  I have this image of everyone with their helmets on yelling to each other.  After all it is the ultimate sneeze barrier.  Be safe all.  :motonoises:

PS:  We still may go enjoy the room.  Glad to talk to you if you go.

I am still going as well, but will modify the plans so I only spend Friday night.  I think the biggest challenge will be finding places to eat. 

Steve

Helen and I are still going.  It is the down time between elections so she can get away for a few days and it would be terrible to waste it.  We will see how it goes and we may be able to fix zeburitos for breakfast Saturday.  Hope to see everyone who can still make it.

Lovelle

Yeah I won't be showing up either. My after event isolation plan went out the window as I was planning to go out to Big Bend and isolate so as not to bring home anything to my wife, however the Brewster County Judge has ordered that the hotels expel all their guests starting on Monday. I'd have to make it a camping trip and I'd just as soon stay home. Especially from what I'm seeing online most of the folks out their really don't want us showing up and infecting them since their Health care system just isn't set up well enough to take care of them let alone a bunch of out of town infected tourists.

Attachments

• Brewster County order.jpg
    Brewster County order.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 158
I checked with the hotel today and they said they will be open this weekend.  Kerr County had a meeting last night and decided not to shut everything down.  There are no known COVID-19 cases in Kerr.  So there will be a few of us still showing up.  Weather looks to be perfect for a change, go figure.

Steve

We were able to locate some eggs ( had to sneak up on some unsuspecting wild chickens while they slept ) so Helen is planning to make some rather exotic "Zeburritos" for breakfast Saturday morning for those so inclined.  Looking forward to visiting with all the brave souls who show up.

Lovelle

riding has just been superb.  thank you Steve for leading two great riding days    :beerchug: 

you even picked great places to eat    Coopers in Llano on Friday and the Bent Rim in Leakey on Saturday.

weather was great    flowers were awesome. 

hope to figure out how to get some pics on here.  :)

we really missed seeing everyone, but definitely understand 

We did miss all the guys from the SC COG group this year.  Weather was very nice and the wildflowers were spectacular.  My biggest concern was finding places to eat lunch, but most restaurants were open and you just placed your order and they brought you the food.  I bet there were over 100 bikes at the Bent Rim restaurant.  Everyone was being respectful and keeping their "social distancing". 

By virtue of us riding motorcycles, we tend to accept a higher level of risk in life.  That might be why we saw so many folks out riding, they were willing keep their lives as normal as possible during these crazy times.

Steve

Correct.  The Bent Rim has a huge outdoor sitting area with many tables.  Riders just sat with 6 or so per table.  When ordering, they would only let about 8 people in the area and the gift shop was limited to only 10 people at a time.  So even though lots of folks were out, seems like most were doing a good job of keeping distance from each other.

Put it this way, most of the riders were on Harley's.  They ride with no gear or helmet.  Their odds of getting injured or killed in a bike accident is way higher than Corona getting them.  I'm making a generalization here but that's what it looked like to me.

Steve

We got home OK.  Great time with old and new friends.  Awesome rides, the weather conditions could not have been any better.  Missed seeing many old friends but totally understand everyone's concerns' and respect their decisions.  There will be other opportunities to get together and we are looking forward to seeing everyone.

Lovelle

I'm glad some were able to have fun and enjoyed good weather. :great:  :beerchug:

I've signed up for informed delivery from the USPS and I can see that my refund check from the COG Treasurer (Nancy) is going to be in today's mail.
So the rest of you keep your eyes out for your refunds in this weeks mail.

Whether you are riding or touching public door handles, you all please be safe out there.

Thanks, Marty

fartymarty said:
I'm glad some were able to have fun and enjoyed good weather. :great:  :beerchug:

I've signed up for informed delivery from the USPS and I can see that my refund check from the COG Treasurer (Nancy) is going to be in today's mail.
So the rest of you keep your eyes out for your refunds in this weeks mail.

Whether you are riding or touching public door handles, you all please be safe out there.

Thanks, Marty

I saw the check in my "informed delivery," as well.  The Riverside Inn refunded me last week.  I would rather have been able to attend, though...