• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can't wait to start on my duals project

onpman4402

I picked up a 2007 ZX14 header in really good condition from Laker9142 and just ordered a Black Widow dual kit in stainless flavor last week. I have a 07 ZX14 kickstand bracket on the way as well. Will have to see how much the center stand needs to be modified but it's a starting point. Then it's an ECU flash and I can't wait to feel what it does to the bike. I know duals don't offer much if any performance change but half the fun of having a bike is making it yours! The BW kit fyi was a great price....350 shipped and will get here Monday in just 4 days!

I'll get it mocked up first and see where it sits and then I will need to make a hanger with a band. Welding to stainless is a PITA.

Your mufflers should have come with bands.
If not, contact BW ASAP.

• Link pipes, silencer mounting straps and clamps are included.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Here is left side muffler hanger bracket to convert the concours to be able to hang it with a factory bushings.

It was sold by Rob Muzzy who once was Kawasaki tuner.
Muzzy sold complete ZX 14 dual conversion for the ZG platform.
Sometimes you can still find them on Fleabay! 848C591F-5D09-4AFC-B562-6DC61FD95ADF.jpegC798B1DD-4613-4ED7-A84B-52879C3CA92C.jpeg

Attachments

• delkevic dual bracket.jpg
    delkevic dual bracket.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Great idea! I will give them a call in the morning. Anyone need a rocket launcher? I almost got the stock header off. I should have asked is it necessary to remove the radiator to get the header bolts? I got them all except number 2 flange and not a lot of room.

Attachments

• PXL_20221006_024921614.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221006_024921614.MP.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 65
No need to remove the radiator.

Just remove the radiator's lower mounting bolt so you can pull it forward a bit, and use a long 1/4in drive extension w/ a 12mm swivel socket.

Ivan

I know of 2 members that have the Muzzy Duals. Will ask if they have photos of the brackets that are on their bikes.

On mine, I duplicated the right bracket and welded it into place on the left side.
It was difficult to find the rubber grommets and bushings that C&D mentioned, but I was able to find them on Ebay.
I think I can find them again.

The brackets were a great find from Delevik.
The Muffler bracket in the Delk. image appears to be a duplicate of the Muzzy Bracket (with an extra Drop-down piece for the right muffler).
{It's pretty obvious that the Muzzy Brackets sandwich the Left passenger footpeg mount}.

I did some searching at the Delk. site and they do list a Muffler Bracket (for another bike).
So, it indicates that they might sell the bracket you need.

I also loosened blots and moved the radiator for access to the header nuts.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Man, this collaboration is wonderful, Ivan that was a good call pointing out the Delevik! The other option is Dobeck purchased the tooling and remaining Stock from Muzzy you can also reach out and see if they have any brackets left?

1665068354689.png

So Dobeck is a no go. Just got off the phone and they told me all left over Muzzy parts have been liquidated:(

Ted, you got me thinking......
I make Orthotics and Prosthetics for a living. I have a 3D scanner! If i scan the right side and invert it, i can then have it 3D printed! Only problem I don't think the individual part is removable. I'm at work so i can't remember it that part can be removed or it's casted in the whole piece. Stay tuned.

The OEM right is cast as part of the passenger footpeg mount.
I machined mine from Aluminum and had that piece welded to the left footpeg mount.

err,, Mebbe (a smart guy with good computer skills) could copy/measure the pieces C&D9 posted, develop dimensions and 3D print those.
Not sure if they would be strong enough but would be relatively EZ to make from aluminum after a pattern is developed.

Ride safe, Ted

So Dobeck is a no go. Just got off the phone and they told me all left over Muzzy parts have been liquidated:(

Ted, you got me thinking......
I make Orthotics and Prosthetics for a living. I have a 3D scanner! If i scan the right side and invert it, i can then have it 3D printed! Only problem I don't think the individual part is removable. I'm at work so i can't remember it that part can be removed or it's casted in the whole piece. Stay tuned.
Send me a PM, you can have this one for the price of shipping it to you! This is your dream of making your bike yours that bracket has been on my shelf and doubt will get around to building duals!

Well first impressions.....IT FITs! Once I get the Muzzy hanger for the left that Cloak so graciously offered it should be a done deal. Mid pipe clears the ZX14 kickstand perfectly and it doesn't interfere with the centerstand!

Only snafu was the stud for the first flange came out with the nut attached and it won't budge. Rather than try and bugger up the threads on the block i will order and new stud and nut. Once I get that and torque down the headers i will snug everything up and see what she sounds like!

I am really going to try and 3d scan the Muzzy hanger parts and see if we can get the file saved for anyone who wants this carved.out.of aluminum or 3D printed out of plastic.

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_014920495.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_014920495.MP.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20221007_014827195.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_014827195.MP.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PXL_20221007_014721970.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_014721970.MP.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20221007_014712108.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_014712108.MP.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20221007_014651921.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_014651921.MP.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 94
Difference between factory 08 Concours header and 07 ZX14 header.

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_001719779.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_001719779.MP.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20221007_001713714.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221007_001713714.MP.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 85
Cloak and daggers Muzzy bracket showed up today! Thanks a million. I am trying to scan the pieces before they go on the bike to see if we can print them. So far the scanner doesn't like black surfaces so i am working on that.

Hey Man glad you received it! Hopefully everything works out and you get it flashed and ride on

Cloak and daggers Muzzy bracket showed up today! Thanks a million. I am trying to scan the pieces before they go on the bike to see if we can print them. So far the scanner doesn't like black surfaces so i am working on that.
IF we have to resort to stone age instruments like calipers and such to reverse E them I can do that.

We might have too.. my scanner was designed for limb segment scanning. It had a hard time picking up black metal:(. I'm going to play with settings tomorrow and give it another shot.

Paint it with plastidip or something that can be easily removed. I bought some plastics from a guy that had sprayed rattle can flat black on them. Looked like crap. Took a rag and paint thinner to them. The paint came off and you can't tell they ever had been painted black.

Waiting anxiously for your ride report.
Forgot to ask. Were you able to buy the rubber grommets that fit inside of the Muffle Bracket?

Ride safe, Ted

I'm anxious to see as well. I got my flash ecu's reinstalled but I've been crazy busy at work and I want to see if I can reproduce these parts before I bolt them all on. I've tried multiple times with my scanner and even tried a 3D scanner app on my phone with no success. I'm glad you mentioned the grommet as I was wondering how I was going to get the bolt to go through there. Also it would be helpful if anyone had a picture of how those pieces bolt on and where. I'm assuming they pulled on on the lower pannier mount. Another local cog member has a 3D printer we're going to see if we can't recreate these. I probably won't get to it till this weekend at least.

One slides into the hole from each side.
Kawasaki was no help when I did mine, but they may sell them now for the right side. Would be the same.
Afraid to guess what Kawasaki would charge though. 😵‍💫
It looks like they would be the same as the ones I found/installed on my bike.
Will look and see if I can find them again.
If you can, measure the width of the steel at the hole and inside dimensions.

Look sorta like this with a steel tube thru the center.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I know how the bolt goes through the bracket. The Kit came with bracket, two flat pieces with holes and a third piece smaller piece. I send pictures tonight.

Found this. AWFUL shipping!
Not sure it is correct. But maybe?
May be possible to take these photo's and info to Kawasaki to see if they can find one in stock.

Just found this. (Assembled version of above)
Looks like what (I think) I installed in mine.
Will send seller a note and ask for dimensions.

Last edited:
That's a heck of a deal. I didn't think about that.
Following his lead, I tried looking for a right Connie peg mount.
Not near as good of deal, but you can see it appears to be the same rubber grommets/bushings.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I'm anxious to see as well. I got my flash ecu's reinstalled but I've been crazy busy at work and I want to see if I can reproduce these parts before I bolt them all on. I've tried multiple times with my scanner and even tried a 3D scanner app on my phone with no success. I'm glad you mentioned the grommet as I was wondering how I was going to get the bolt to go through there. Also it would be helpful if anyone had a picture of how those pieces bolt on and where. I'm assuming they pulled on on the lower pannier mount. Another local cog member has a 3D printer we're going to see if we can't recreate these. I probably won't get to it till this weekend at least.

ZX14 passenger peg bracket.... includes the grommets and collars.

I'm wondering if the ZX14 bracket has the pannier guide at the end of if that can be added from Connie. I don't think the ZX14 ever came with pannier racks.

I agree with C&D. Buy the ZX-14 bracket and remove the rubber bushings from it.
Ivan also posted a "where used" link that shows they are the correct bushings.

There are 2 rubber bushings in the bracket, with steel or hard plastic bushings inside. (1 from inside and 1 from outside)
New, they cost more (x2) than the bracket Ivan posted.

NOTE: There is no guarantee that the rubber bushings will fit inside of the Muzzy Brackets you have.
ie; There is a chance that the hole thru the Muzzy's are not the same size as the OEM, so you may lose the $15.
But I think it's worth the risk.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
There's a bolt facing rearward that you can use to mount anything.... you'll see it when you get the bracket

I was able take some tracings and measurements of the Muzzy right side bracket today. I sent them to ZXtasy and he was able to get a CAD drawing. I think was going to take a shot at printing one. We were going to increase the thickness a little bit for strength. Once my ZX14 rear bracket gets here and I can pilfer the grommet/ bushing should be good to go.

Great call on the ZX14 bracket Ivan. Looks like its going to be the ticket!

Attachments

• PXL_20221024_210736503.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221024_210736503.MP.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20221024_210629139.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221024_210629139.MP.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 54
It works great! Puts the hanger right under the pannier guide just like the right side. The grommet fits nicely. ZXtasy is working on printing these i think. Should be easy enough for the next guy that wants to do it. Need to shorten up the bolts though.

Attachments

• PXL_20221025_020415896.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221025_020415896.MP.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20221025_020359351.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221025_020359351.MP.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20221025_020344211.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221025_020344211.MP.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20221025_013741372.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221025_013741372.MP.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20221025_013744828.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221025_013744828.MP.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 64
Ok. After replacing a buggered up exhaust stud and snugging everything up permanently i did a shake down run with Ivans flash (sans fairings). Initial impressions.....WOW! Let me see how I can break this down.

Ambient air temp today was 50 degrees perfect for a spirited ride. Bike settled into a nice idle and off I went. First thing I noticed upshifts were smooth and jerkiness gone! Second thing is roll on throttle in any gear at 3rpm just pulls like a fright train. Bear in mind i live at 3800 feet so bikes and cars struggle a little at this altitude. Roll on throttle at 40-50 at lower rpms and the next thing you know your at 70 like that! Lastly i have a section of road here that i like to test performance on. It starts as a hairpin turn at 2800 feet and then straight half mile at a 12 percent grade to 3300 feet. Just as a comparison, my Tiger 1050 i had, tuned and cat delete was 115 to the rear wheel so about 130 to the crank and 460 pounds. I would hit the corner in 3rd at 30mph at 3000prm and then nail it to the top. I would hit about 100 at the top. With Ivans flash I did the same thing and was past 120 at the 3/4 mark in 4th. I had to slow down before i hit corner at the top of the hill! Pulling a 12 percent grade at altitude it just keep pulling. I didn't even take it to redline before hitting 4th. It's more than I will ever need:). Lastly the temp only hit two bars at the peak of the climb and immediately down to one bar so it's running cooler. Granted 50 is not a warm day but the bike never ran less than two bars unless at initial startup. It's a winner in my book the SOUND with dual Black widows is amazing!

Bear in mind i live at 3800 feet so bikes and cars struggle a little at this altitude

Interesting...of course the Concours ECM system is a bit dated, I would have thought "modern" fuel management systems would cure that...but I'm learning alot on the forum the last few days....!! Might have to find some freshman level books on modern engine management. I havent been serious on performance stuff in decades , high tech to me is still an OBD II scanner...L.. I can remember when dwell meters were cutting edge.. 🤔..

Carry on guys, been some great reading lately!

Murph

Interesting...of course the Concours ECM system is a bit dated, I would have thought "modern" fuel management systems would cure that...but I'm learning alot on the forum the last few days....!! Might have to find some freshman level books on modern engine management. I havent been serious on performance stuff in decades , high tech to me is still an OBD II scanner...L.. I can remember when dwell meters were cutting edge.. 🤔..

Carry on guys, been some great reading lately!

Murph
The C14 ecu compensates its fuel mixture very well for altitude.
Don't mix up fuel correction with power correction.

Forced induction doesn't lose power at altitude as long as it will produce the same boost pressure as altitude rises.

All normally aspirated engines will lose power as altitude increases.
(Oxygen molecules are less dense)

Correcting the fuel mixture doesn't bring back the power loss, but does ensure that mileage and response remain normal.

Love the sound of these Kawa motors, and the exhaust is easily identifiable. Music to my ears, and whatever is left of my hearing. LOL

I noticed you have the same peculiar spitting or sputtering sound from the tailpipes I had with my BW when the baffle was out. It is caused by the hole for the bolt that holds the baffle in place.

If you close that off with heat tape (or another method, like putting a small bolt with a rounded nut), that sound will go away. I tested it with the heat tape, and it smoothed out the exhaust sound a bit, but the tape didn't stick well and I just learned to live with the unique sound.

I'm so glad you mentioned that! I thought I was crazy cuz i heard it too and i was looking everywhere for an exhaust leak but couldn't find a leak anywhere. My scorpion exhaust on my Tiger had that hole (single sided) but don't remember hearing that sound. Great tip. I'll try the screw and nut first.

Just a little side note for anyone wanting do this swap. The Muzzy bracket sits real close to the factory preload adjuster. ZXtasy 3d printed a copy and it did not fit his due to his Penske upgrade. Something to think about. You can see the knob right behind the rear passenger peg.

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_024533039.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221030_024533039.MP.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 68
I had a few chances to ride up here sans fairings before we got six inches about 10 days ago. It's been in the teens at not and hi 20s during the day. I left the fairings off to routine winter maintenance but my season is pretty much over:(. Good news is the bracket works perfectly and ZXtasy was able to 3d print a duplicate that i will attempt to mock up and see if it works. If it does, members can get a copy and convert their own bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_091954_454.jpg
    IMG_20221107_091954_454.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 59
If anyone's interested in trying what Onpman figured out (Early ZX headers and which Black Widow mufflers align correctly).
On Ebay there are some pretty good deals on the correct headers. (2006-2007 ZX -14 headers without Cat)
He used the 2006 ZX Black Widow slip on mufflers/mids.
& I think Delkevic may have a sale going on.

Last edited:
Looks and sounds very good onpman4402. Curious what a dyno pull would reveal ? I believe Jeff did some R/D on the dual system and pulled real good numbers on a stock Connie. My tech previously did a Connie with the ZX14 header and a performance muffler and pulled some of the highest numbers in the shop. The set-up works well. My Area/P works well for my application. No plans on changing my set-up...Sean

Looks and sounds very good onpman4402. Curious what a dyno pull would reveal ? I believe Jeff did some R/D on the dual system and pulled real good numbers on a stock Connie. My tech previously did a Connie with the ZX14 header and a performance muffler and pulled some of the highest numbers in the shop. The set-up works well. My Area/P works well for my application. No plans on changing my set-up...Sean
If this dual muffler setup with spacing the muffler protects the baggage during drops. could install such a feature after the rescramble ecu is done

The C14 ecu compensates its fuel mixture very well for altitude.
Don't mix up fuel correction with power correction.

Forced induction doesn't lose power at altitude as long as it will produce the same boost pressure as altitude rises.

All normally aspirated engines will lose power as altitude increases.
(Oxygen molecules are less dense)

Correcting the fuel mixture doesn't bring back the power loss, but does ensure that mileage and response remain normal.
Good sir can we contact you for the rescramble of the ecu?

If this dual muffler setup with spacing the muffler protects the baggage during drops. could install such a feature after the rescramble ecu is
Ivan can give you details on the Dyno numbers as he had already tested my exhaust combo with his flash. Honestly, I modeled my mine after that exhaust cuz i wanted duals and i like the numbers.