• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CAT o-ring for throttle lock

v8shadow

Road Bike
  Ive read a whole bunch of raves for this simple trick.  What o-ring do I ask for if I find one?  Part# or size is what I am looking for.

That go cruise looks cool!  I hate to sound hillbilly, but has anyone ever just used a screw on hose clamp on the end of thier thottle?  I mean, if we can suffice with slip on levers, orings, and the like, why not that?  I tried it in the garage.  It seems to work holding throttle and allowing the throttle to be put down manually, is fully adjustable, and doesnt rely on friction to hold the throttle.  Rather, it uses the squeeze it puts on the handlegrip.  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Koehler-1-2-to-1-1-4-in-stainless-steel-easy-twist-handle-hose-clamp/_/N-257r?itemIdentifier=862121_0_0_  Sure, I know it is either "on" or "off" but you can buy them with a wing nut fastener and just adjust it accordingly.  If anything it can just be used for long trips where alot of deceleration or shifting isnt needed.  Can it really have been this simple??  I didn't think about it because it seemed unsafe, and well, kinda hokie.  Thoughts??

I have spoke with a few folks who told me that the Go cruise started slipping on them. Only what I was told, not my experience.

Texas Concours14 said:
Here is what you are looking for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8M4991-CAT-O-Ring-Motorcycle-Throttle-Lock-Lot-10-/200361377798
In my experience on a C14, the throttle still slowly slips with the O ring.

Another popular approach is the Go Cruise (http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html), but it also slowly slips on my C14. [I don't know the appropriate size of Go Cruise for the C10.]

What does work very well is the combination of the two.
Thanks for the information

v8shadow said:
  That go cruise looks cool!  I hate to sound hillbilly, but has anyone ever just used a screw on hose clamp on the end of thier thottle?  I mean, if we can suffice with slip on levers, orings, and the like, why not that?  I tried it in the garage.  It seems to work holding throttle and allowing the throttle to be put down manually, is fully adjustable, and doesnt rely on friction to hold the throttle.  Rather, it uses the squeeze it puts on the handlegrip.  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Koehler-1-2-to-1-1-4-in-stainless-steel-easy-twist-handle-hose-clamp/_/N-257r?itemIdentifier=862121_0_0_  Sure, I know it is either "on" or "off" but you can buy them with a wing nut fastener and just adjust it accordingly.  If anything it can just be used for long trips where alot of deceleration or shifting isnt needed.  Can it really have been this simple??  I didn't think about it because it

I would think that would mess up the slider after awhile .

seemed unsafe, and well, kinda hokie.  Thoughts??

I hope it's ok to revive an old post. (I'm new here.) I went looking for the o-ring dimensions to use as a throttle lock and this was the thread I found. It only had a link to an eBay listing that luckily still exists but could disappear, and that listing did not have the actual dimensions. I think knowing the dimensions is valuable so any of us can find or make our own.

The part number of the o-ring from Caterpillar is 8M4991, and it is made of yellow silicone. I found the dimensions themselves in the questions section of an Amazon listing for the same part.

Cross Section Diameter (in): 0.21
Cross Section Diameter (mm): 5.33
Dash Size (in): 320
Inside Diameter (in): 1.1
Inside Diameter (mm): 28
Material: Silicone (70), VMQ - Silicone

The Caterpillar 8M4991 O-Ring is the one used by C10 owners for years. The part # is listed in this form thread: