• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Change the horn

Tector

I'd like to replace the horn on my 2010 C14.  Has anyone installed a Stebel Nautilus air horn on a C14?  How about a FIAMM El Grande?  (These are the two units I'm looking at.)  I don't know how much room there is for the installation, so I'd like to buy something that I know will fit.  Thanks

Tector, at the top; click on "home" and then type "horn" in the search area.
Lots of horns including Stebel and Fiamm have been mounted on the C-10's and C-14's.
You'll be able to see many discussions and how members mounted them by doing the search.

I mounted a pair of Fiamms and later Piaa Slimline's in the original horn location.
I preferred the Piaa Slimline's as their smaller than others, and LOUD!!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-85114-LOUD-SPORTS-HORN-SLIM-LINE-KIT-SET-OF-TWO-400hz-500hz/121097727601?epid=228224518&hash=item1c31fcae71:g:l9IAAOxy79VRcX1L

Takes a bit of work to get them to fit in that original area but their "far" louder than stock and I like that location..
  {Others have mounted them under the fairing}..

If you do change horns, I suggest a relay to handle the extra amp draw.

Ride safe, Ted

I had the Stebel Nautilus and removing the horn from the compressor to remote the horn is a pain, and it draws a lot of current. Rain eventually killed the horn since it sounded like it had a chest cold.

I went with the 500 Hz/600 Hz PIAA. You can that combo as a kit on Amazon. Easier to mount, just as loud, and draws less current. You will still want to put a relay on it and Amazon sells pre-made horn harness kits with the relay.

Although that Amazon relay harness was cheap, I found that it was all wrong for MY application.

Wire lengths were designed for a car.  i simply made my own, custom fit.  :beerchug:

Good post on the Stebel, as I too chose not to go that route.

PIAA Slimlines on my Aprilia now, and Sport horns (full size) 500-600hz on the C14.  LOVE'EM!

search my posts.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
Although that Amazon relay harness was cheap, I found that it was all wrong for MY application.

Wire lengths were designed for a car.  i simply made my own, custom fit.  :beerchug:

PIAA Slimlines on my Aprilia now, and Sport horns (full size) 500-600hz.  LOVE'EM!

search my posts.

gr
I wont argue that the harness kit is not a custom fit.  I'm not sure how it could be.  It has the wires, connectors and wiring for two horns, plastic loom materials, and the relay you need.  I modify any pre-made wire harness that come with farkles because it makes a cleaner installation.  It takes  a few minutes and you need a soldering iron and heat shrink, but could use the crimp connectors that I think are unreliable.  I know you know that GR, so pointing out the obvious!

This is the one I used for my Versys 1000 SE LT +
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM107FC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I took the easy way out.  Replaced straight up with a fiamm freeway blaster low.  Not super loud but better than stock.  No relay or wiring change.  A little snug to fit.  But better and a 'free' change using all stock parts.

Agreed.  :great:

But for the $15 i spent, I would have needed to cut lengths off the harness, and basically replace most of the included connectors.  It just didn't make sense for ME.

Besides, I realized I had all the parts laying around including wire, connectors, relay, and loom!  :-[

gr

4Bikes said:
ghostrider990 said:

PIAA Slimlines on my Aprilia now, and Sport horns (full size) 500-600hz.  LOVE'EM!

search my posts.

gr
I wont argue that the harness kit is not a custom fit.  I'm not sure how it could be.  It has the wires, connectors and wiring for two horns, plastic loom materials, and the relay you need.  I modify any pre-made wire harness that come with farkles because it makes a cleaner installation.  It takes  a few minutes and you need a soldering iron and heat shrink, but could use the crimp connectors that I think are unreliable.  I know you know that GR, so pointing out the obvious!

This is the one I used for my Versys 1000 SE LT +
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM107FC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a custom harness from Sailor Chic when she was making them.
Fit and works great. Perf3ect fit.. But getting the best was more expensive than the ones you bought.
Both will get the job done...

She hurt her shoulder badly at work and was healing slowly. I haven't heard rom her in awhile. Has anyone been in contact with her?

Ride safe, Ted

When I went to get my new to me 2010 inspected in 2017 that is when I found the horn not working.  I went over to the auto place and bought a cheap car horn replacement.  I was only going to leave it on there long enough to pass inspection.  It has been a couple years now and it still works and sounds like a truck so people notice me.

I agree with Ted here!

I actually had the Stebel Nautilus and, IMHO, it sucks a$$. It is not as loud once you are moving, and they are prone to failures (not all of them, but it does happen).

Went to the PIAA slim lines (they come in 2’s, 500/600 hz I believe), and damn those things are loud!

I used the relay I had previously installed for my Stebel, and just tapped into the positive with a posi-tap, fairly easy work. Used the original horn harness in the original location, but turned it around to have the 2 anchoring points free to put the horns on them. Hope that helps!

Jer

Jerdurr said:
I agree with Ted here!

I actually had the Stebel Nautilus and, IMHO, it sucks a$$. It is not as loud once you are moving, and they are prone to failures (not all of them, but it does happen).

Went to the PIAA slim lines (they come in 2’s, 500/600 hz I believe), and damn those things are loud!

I used the relay I had previously installed for my Stebel, and just tapped into the positive with a posi-tap, fairly easy work. Used the original horn harness in the original location, but turned it around to have the 2 anchoring points free to put the horns on them. Hope that helps!

Jer

I need to do the same. I too have the Stevel Nautilus and no one can hear me at any speed above like 30 mph, including me. Thanks for tip!

Road Runner said:
Jerdurr said:
I agree with Ted here!

Jer

I need to do the same. I too have the Stevel Nautilus and no one can hear me at any speed above like 30 mph, including me. Thanks for tip!

Wow , my Stebel still makes me jump when I hit the button . Location makes a difference with them though and making sure the opening is pointing down so rain cant get in . After 6 years mine's still going strong .

RE: Stebel Nautilus -

Just finished installing one on my 2014 C14; my third Stebel installation. Some notes:

- These are excellent, really loud horns, IF installed correctly

- Biggest issue is current draw (18A @ 12VDC - this is huge!). Needs AWG 12 power wiring and good 30A relay

- Basically, you are powering a stout little compressor motor when you hit the button (v high current inrush)

- Water spray will kill these horns, esp if not mounted close to vertical

- For the C14:  Suggest install under RH fairing top cover - plenty of room (mine is mounted forward of Rostra actuator), and its dry. Pick up horn wires (black/yellow is switch ground and brown/black is hot) at large connector under black drip cover. Suggest leave stock horn in place. Run AWG 12 power wires to relay and horn; 20A fuse. Wiring diagram per Stebel instruction sheet. Note that C14 uses a grounding horn switch, so use that Stebei diagram

- If installed and wired correctly, Stebel will sound simultaneously with stock horn, and with authority. If yours is wheezy or laggy, check your wiring, noting that both power and ground wiring needs to be really stout. Also, there's a spate of cheap, crappy Chinese "Bosch" relays around. Suggest buy a decent 30/40A relay with a true 10 - 12 AWG connector

Installed correctly, the Stebel really gets peoples attention, something I've found increasingly important in these "distracted driver" times...

I just installed the black snail a knock off for the nautilus. It fit great u dear the right side upper fairing. I used the traditional horn bracket and mounted to the body for a sturdy mount. Sounds awesome and with a wiring harness install went well. Although I had purchased a single wire harness and I had a 2 wire factory horn I had to ground the second wire for everything to sound proper. All in all a great investment. ;)