• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cheapo ebay top case?

For $35,,, worth a try.  Would give a passenger some back support.

Over the years, members have tried all kinds of trunks.
This one seems to have a sealing lip so should be reasonably rain proof.
  The biggest concern folks have is a trunk blowing off or opening at speed.
    I've never heard of any trunks that actually did that..

Only negatives I see, are; it's bit small, and it's a bolt on (that can't be removed with a key)
What color is your bike?

Ride safe, Ted

I bought something similar from jc whittney for 37 bucks.  i use it on my enduro chinabike.  it installs somewhat similar to a givi in that it has a base plate that the case slides into and locks.  I find it functional.

Attachments

• PART_1461201860855_IMG_20160420_202530.jpg
    PART_1461201860855_IMG_20160420_202530.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 144
I have something similar for the same purpose....my pillion doesn't feel 'safe' without a backrest. I have a big case if I ever need it but I don't care for the look of a big suitcase on the back. Works fine so far. Came with a metal plate to go on the bottom but I put it inside instead and drilled thru it to mount because the plastic is kinda flimsy and figured my way might be a little stronger. Plus I was able to find a color which kinda matched the bike.

Attachments

• fjrae.jpg
    fjrae.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 137
My Honda ST1300 came with a "T'box" (which I figure is a cheapo knock off type) and it has a quick release mounting plate system, brake light strip and holds a full face modular helmet with room to spare. It's even very close to the Honda Coronado Pearl blue.
So far, the only time I have had it on the bike, other than the initial ride home, was when the wife is riding along. She needs the security of having something backing her up. When I take it off even with the quick release bracket, I remove the base plate too. It's only four screws and looks so much better w/o it on the factory tail "rack".
It works great for what I need/use it for, and when we get to the point of road tripping somewhere I'm sure it will be stuffed full in addition to the big leather Bagster tank bag and side luggage.

Edit: Went out and had a look at it. It's a Bestem brand. They are about $80-120 on 'bay. Even have press formed liners for them I see.

I have an XL ebay special thats been going for 3 years now.
It's a key release, but did require brackets to mount it properly.
It can hold 2 full face helmets.  I put my own backrest on mine.

I have this case;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Trunk-Luggage-Case-Tail-Box-Rack-Backrest-Durable-for-Touring-Cruiser-/311078452687?hash=item486db87dcf:g:mH4AAOSwCfdXoqoY&vxp=mtr

Didn't buy it off this seller but looks identical down to the cheap metal stamped mounting bracket. I didn't use the mounting bracket but used the cutting board type of mount.

Is waterproof going on 3 years now. Made cheaply as there are no metal hinges, it uses molded plastic features on the box and the lid that make the all plastic hinge. The backrest is cheap vinyl.

My SO has liked the feel of the backrest with the armrest. I didn't drill holes in the lid to add the cheap chromed luggage rack on the top lid. I have it mounted securely and just load it with light stuff, rain gear, extra clothing, etc. put a coat of wax on it and it shines. One thing is the inside had a peculiar plasticky smell when unpacked, mold release or something. I had to wash the interior and keep it open in the sun for a couple of days and reclean again before I would put something in it.

I would by another one again if need be. The more sweeping model as someone posted might be less squarer looking. I was originally looking at harley tour packs but they are too big to look right in scale on our C10s in my opinion and come at a steep price. The Givi I have on a shelf has the hard, small back pad that didn't come close to the comfort of this.

Happypilot said:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360546665833&globalID=EBAY-US

Saw this one on a c10 and it looked real sharp. Been thinking about doing one myself.
That's similar to the one that I've got. It's bolted on and wired in so it's always on the bike. It's definitely not Givi quality, but it has held up well so far. Mine's more of a matte finish. I don't know if it came that way or if the finish has eroded over time (previous owner put it on).

Swampcat said:
That's similar to the one that I've got. It's bolted on and wired in so it's always on the bike. It's definitely not Givi quality, but it has held up well so far. Mine's more of a matte finish. I don't know if it came that way or if the finish has eroded over time (previous owner put it on).

I'm the previous owner  ;)

There's actually a couple different sizes of those top cases. There's the little scooter box size, and then the one I put on Shoodaben, which is about 2x larger. It is not a quality top box like a Givi, but it seemed every time I went to a COG ride or function, of all the mods I'd done to Shoodaben the top box was the one that was always getting positive comments. I built an angled mount out of marine grade plywood, then sealed it in fiberglass resin for waterproofness. The angle makes the box look "proper" with the lines of the bike. The box has no waterproof seal, but never got a drop in it, even in downpours. It started off as a gloss black, but over time and sun exposure it's faded and even gotten some finish cracks in it. Keeping this box was something generally out of my regular methodology of function over form, but since it looked "right", it stayed.

If you'll view this photo gallery of Shoodaben, you can get a good sense of how the box looked. (nice bike you have there, Ed!)

HTH, steve

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/photo-galle

Steve in Sunny Fla said:

I was trying not to drop names, Steve! :)

I thought it might have been gloss originally, because the sides have some of the gloss left. My experience is also that it doesn't leak, and I have been in a couple of good downpours to test it. The left red lens fell off about a year ago. I couldn't get an exact replacement from the company. I got one that was close. A little judicious use of the Dremel and you have to look really hard to tell it's not the original. I'm happy with it and won't change it unless something breaks.

Swampcat said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:

I was trying not to drop names, Steve! :)

I thought it might have been gloss originally, because the sides have some of the gloss left. My experience is also that it doesn't leak, and I have been in a couple of good downpours to test it. The left red lens fell off about a year ago. I couldn't get an exact replacement from the company. I got one that was close. A little judicious use of the Dremel and you have to look really hard to tell it's not the original. I'm happy with it and won't change it unless something breaks.

funny - the right lens fell out about a year before you got it  :-[  Steve

view.sfly

view.sfly

view.sfly

I bought the ebay case and installed it today.  Not too bad.  It's a little on the small side, but I can fit a full-face helmet in it and it seems like it will do O.K. as a backrest.  I used aluminum angle to mount it to the mounting holes for the factory parcel rack and it's sturdy.  I may shim up the rear a little in the future.  For $35 and some aluminum I think it's pretty good.  Oops - looks like I failed at adding the pics.

Winning!  Purdy close match to the Silverdammit too!
Unless you're going on extended trips, you've got just
what you need.  Even if you do long haul, a good dry bag
can make up the carry space.  Tastefully done!

pretty much the same as mine I think, different color......the nice thing is you don't need to lock it, so you can just push the button to open it (mine anyways) so no fiddling with keys every time.