• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clutch lever

Speedy Coop

On my 2008, with over 100,000 miles, the clutch lever is creaky and catchy right at the engagement of the friction zone sometimes making it difficult for a smooth start. You can actually hear and feel it. I have lubed the pivot bolt and then swapped it with the brake lever pivot bolt, flushed the system twice, disassembled the slave cylinder (it was clean) , no improvement. Any ideas on what to try next?

On my 2008, with over 100,000 miles, the clutch lever is creaky and catchy right at the engagement of the friction zone sometimes making it difficult for a smooth start. You can actually hear and feel it. I have lubed the pivot bolt and then swapped it with the brake lever pivot bolt, flushed the system twice, disassembled the slave cylinder (it was clean) , no improvement. Any ideas on what to try next?
Others will comment, however, I believe there is a bushing on the lever. Also if it is ratchety in same place have you looked at the slave cylinder - the cylinder up by the reservoir? Is this possibly damaged?

I would check those two - bushing first then the cylinder the handle actuates.

BTW - Recent 11 day 5,600 mile trip my reservoir has started dropping on fluid and lever getting a bit squishy. Expect I have a master cylinder issue.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Probably the bushing. I had that on my C10, take lever off and examine the bushing to see if it rotates freely in the lever (wears down on the OD and won't rotate freely) and the contact point where the master plunger makes contact.

Bushing does not look excessively worn and appears to be pressed into the lever assembly. Maybe I will rebuild the master and see if that helps. My 1998 Valkyrie is buttery smooth. I am trying to achieve the same on the Kawasaki.

Bushing does not look excessively worn and appears to be pressed into the lever assembly. Maybe I will rebuild the master and see if that helps. My 1998 Valkyrie is buttery smooth. I am trying to achieve the same on the Kawasaki.
My '99 Tourer's front brake has a funky spot just like your C14 does (~20K miles; modified Kuryakyn GL1800 adjustable levers). A shot of lube to the bushing helps for a while but eventually the notchiness comes back.

FWIW, it had a master-cylinder rebuild at 5k miles. This as a part of exorcising the previous owners.