• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG Rally Registration Issues

ZG/ZN Kim

Here is my story:
-I was able to successfully register and pay for events last September(2020) with no issues. This was after the forum change over.
-I was not able to register or pay for an event this May. I kept getting a CAPTHA error. I had the event host register me. I was told Google Chrome has problems, try a different browser. Chrome is the browser I use.
-Today I tried to register for another event(using CHROME), my annual registration fee also came up on the same receipt, no problem. I tried to pay online, I get the CAPTHA error once again. In the past I was told,"try a different browser". Of course the different browser does not have my passwords, and I could not log in with the password I had written down(yes probably my problem). I went back to Chrome, went through the registration process. $35 for the event, $42 for renewal. This time it looked like it worked. My total receipt was $77, but it did not register me for the event, and says I have $35 in excess. WTF?
Is anybody else having similar issues. Mostly the CAPTHA error? What is your "work around"? The registration process should be a slam dunk affair, the easy part. I need some input.

Let me start off by saying that I am not an IT guy.

I can inform you that Chrome in itself is not the issue because I use Chrome for the public, member and administrative function in WA. Saying that, there are some settings in Chrome that may cause some issues.

I have been told, members that use an VPN are and will have problems with the WA payment gateway. I have been told that if a member is using a VPN, then it would need to be turned off for payments.

From what I have seen, for the most part most members are not having any issues making payments for membership, renewals and events, but there have been some issues for a few members. From what I have been told, there has not been a common issue, but different issues for these members.

I would suggest you send an email to our IT Officer at it@concours.org

There are a couple of members of the IT staff that monitor that email, and one of them will get back with you to help identify the issue(s) you are having.

Here is my story:
-I was able to successfully register and pay for events last September(2020) with no issues. This was after the forum change over.
-I was not able to register or pay for an event this May. I kept getting a CAPTHA error. I had the event host register me. I was told Google Chrome has problems, try a different browser. Chrome is the browser I use.
-Today I tried to register for another event(using CHROME), my annual registration fee also came up on the same receipt, no problem. I tried to pay online, I get the CAPTHA error once again. In the past I was told,"try a different browser". Of course the different browser does not have my passwords, and I could not log in with the password I had written down(yes probably my problem). I went back to Chrome, went through the registration process. $35 for the event, $42 for renewal. This time it looked like it worked. My total receipt was $77, but it did not register me for the event, and says I have $35 in excess. WTF?
Is anybody else having similar issues. Mostly the CAPTHA error? What is your "work around"? The registration process should be a slam dunk affair, the easy part. I need some input.

Try turning off security on the browser while you do the registration, then re-activate it. Also, add the domain to your white list. Sounds like it's a cookie issue that isn't allowing the backend transaction server to leave files for authentication and identification. This may be the cause for the issue with the captcha. My bet is that the membership is being processed on one payment server while the event registrations are being handled by another on-demand service.

Also, when I have issues from time to time and can't figure them out (or don't have the time to do the bird-dogging) I open my settings and grab my saved password so I can log in using FireFox which I know to be bone stock. I keep FF updated only for the possibility that one day, in a pinch when I least expect it and have the shortest amount of time to complete a task, it'll be there ready & waiting. That's just me being a geek. Then again, I also keep two extra filters and an extra case of oil for connie sitting in my garage just because. :^ )

You'll likely need to have someone from the business office refund you the $35 as there was no line item purchase to associate with the payment. Wonder if they're using a different payment processor than in the past, or if their payment processor had some enhancements/updates that increased "security" thus requiring your browser to fully expose your machine to them. Personally I hate when companies do that because they're acting as if their business is more important than our individual rights as computer owners.

This is my recent experience.

I finally got the sign up to work. I've never done a guest before and come to find out you cant use the same email for the guest. Although it lets you go all the way through the check out process and just does nothing. At first I thought it was the little captcha thing because when I clicked on it it said, can not connect. But three days later I tried a few more times and its saying "that email already exists". That's it, no reference to anything other than already exists. So 3 more tries and I try some different emails and it worked. Maybe an error message saying something about the guest email would be nice. Kevin and Mark didn't say anything about it so I assume they didn't know either.

But yeah, looking forward to it!

One of your Google Chrome Extensions (such as adblockers) may be affecting the interaction between your Google Chrome Browser and the Google reCaptcha system that the membership software service COG is using implements. Maybe try turning of the extensions before completing the registration form.

Top right of Chrome,
click the three dots in a vertical alignment,
choose Settings,
left column click Extensions,
toggle off possible culprits (adblocks,antispam,anti-tracking,. You can turn them on again after check out

(this would be a good time to look over your extensions, make sure they are things you want and that nothing was slipped in by a piece of software or vendor)

Thank you for the comments and recommendations.
Fred, I do not have a VPN app on my laptop, the WiFi router is not configured with one. This is a private residence not company. But I did have to check
OK(Wanderer)I turned off the adblocker and retried Google Chrome, NO GO
I opened up another browser, and tried to register, NO GO
I will contact the host and let him know I am coming and pay him in cash. A very short term fix(patch, work around, or whatever you want to call it).

What is really crazy, today, it took my $42 for membership renewal, and $35 for my Dry Creek registration. But did not F____ing register me. Plus I registered for 2 events last fall after the migration, no issues.

Last edited:
It was a single transaction. The renewal came up when I was registering for the rally. The $42 was invoiced correctly, the $35 was shown as a excess payment. There truly is something not right.
Plus the CAPTCHA error is something else that is not right.
Mark W. has intervened and finished my registration for the $35 rally portion

It was a single transaction. The renewal came up when I was registering for the rally. The $42 was invoiced correctly, the $35 was shown as a excess payment. There truly is something not right.
Plus the CAPTCHA error is something else that is not right.
Mark W. has intervened and finished my registration for the $35 rally portion
I was able to get your account settled. Your renewal went through and I was able to credit the balance to the event. I emailed the settled event invoice to you.

Not sure what the hiccup was, but will continue to look into it with the IT guys.

Fred, Mark,
Thanks for looking into this. While this is a minor issue in life, it is very frustrating. I sure hope you guys can get your arms around this. I would like to be able to register for events normally.

Fred, Mark,
Thanks for looking into this. While this is a minor issue in life, it is very frustrating. I sure hope you guys can get your arms around this. I would like to be able to register for events normally.
No problem. From what I have found the issue(s) you were having are not common. We are still looking into it, but the next time you try to register/renew and have an issue, please stop at that point and contact me or the IT Officer so we can look into it.

Thanks