• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG visits HOG Heaven [NC]

ManWorkingHere

Click here to register for a headcount

COG Meets HOG !

Speaking of off-season meetings, how many of you have been to the Harley-Davidson museum lately?  What about a COG invasion in January?

I see that the museum is open Saturday, January 21st at 10am.  The museum is full of chromed things that don’t need chrome, and historical cycles that make you appreciate your Corbin seat treatments.  You can visit the museum at your own pace, with or without their new audio tour.

Then at 11:30am, we can convene in the Motor restaurant for lunch, good conversation, and maybe a door prize or two.

If you want to meet for Lunch and then wander the Museum afterward, feel free to do so.  I will be holding court in the Motor restaurant for any COGgers who drop in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Museum Overview 

Harley-Davidson motorcycles bring heart-thumping adventure, life-changing freedom and a bit of rebellion into the lives of people around the world. But whether you were born to be wild - or mild - makes no difference at the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Much more than a nostalgia trip for motorcycle enthusiasts, the Museum offers a glimpse of American history and culture like you've never seen it before - through the successes and trials of an iconic American company. Interactive, eye-catching exhibits present an unparalleled collection of legendary stories of our nation's last century. Located on 20 acres in downtown Milwaukee, the Museum offers a restaurant, cafe, retail store and park-like outdoor spaces.

Back Road Tour

Steel Toe Tour

Arg!  I have boy scout pizza making on Saturday!  Have fun!  Hoping to make the cycle show in Feb.

I've been on the steel toe tour (full factory, assembly lines, machine shop, paint shop, everything) at the York manufacturing plant, and it was awesome. Explained in no uncertain terms that this is not your grandfather's Harley-Davidson.

Said it before, my Rushmore has more electronics on it than a C14 by light years. Throttle by wire, ECU-based cruise control, Brembo brakes, and you can control the Infotainment System (the screen) without taking your hands off the grips. And they sure never leak oil anymore.  :great:

Funny story, mine was like 3 months old and I was having the initial service done, and when I got it "home" there was a spot of oil under it about the size of a quarter. I put some paper under it, and got a new spot on the paper. Holy crap, no way, I thought. Called them up, rode it right back up to the dealer, and the tech came out in the parking lot with a rag and an inspection mirror. Got on the ground. Poked around. Then I heard a chuckle. He rolled out, got up, and told me they spilled a little oil on the protection plate that runs underneath the engine oil pan (there are 3 separate "pans" - engine, transmission, clutch/drive). He had wiped it off with the rag. I never saw a spot on the floor again after that, despite going coast to coast twice and having two more services done.

Some day I hope to get to the museum. 

dboogie2288 said:
location????  :-[

When you click on the LINK for an event like this you get the Details such as Location.  :)

so here it is: Harley-Davidson Museum. 400 W. Canal Street Milwaukee, WI 53203

(The organizer was told to make the location clear so I see that he went to great lengths to get the info in the Calendar entry.)

You know, I was going to click that guy, but figure I didnt want to register for it, not knowing where it was....  :truce:

Anyhoo, this is one thing I hate about north central. It's such a bloody big area, postings are very rarely location convenient.

dboogie2288 said:
You know, I was going to click that guy, but figure I didnt want to register for it, not knowing where it was....  :truce:

Anyhoo, this is one thing I hate about north central. It's such a bloody big area, postings are very rarely location convenient.

that's not unique to the NC.  I feel the same here in the SE.  I'm sure all regions have that problem.

BUT......we have state level AADs who can help get things more local to you!  :)

I saw this one right off and wished I could make it.  Sadly, Milwaukee is a bit too far for a day trip.  ::)

Sport Rider said:
dboogie2288 said:

that's not unique to the NC.  I feel the same here in the SE.  I'm sure all regions have that problem.

BUT......we have state level AADs who can help get things more local to you!  :)

I saw this one right off and wished I could make it.  Sadly, Milwaukee is a bit too far for a day trip.  ::)

And will probably be cold there.

I/we may fly to St Paul in late Feb to watch a daughter give a speech for Dyslexia in the state capital rotunda. That's about all the cold I can stand.

I chose to participate in a target event that delayed my arrival at the Motor Restaurant.  For anyone I missed at 1130, I apologize.

I did hang out and successfully consume a beer and a burger-based appetizer.  There were no takers for my COG membership flyers among the crowd.  :)
32446481935_eebd4fb8eb_c.jpg
32406471756_e257ed6f9d_c.jpg

The weather for the event was atypical for January.  The temperature at mealtime was 50 degrees above zero.  Amazing!  So nice out in fact, that I picked up my cycle from Don and Roy's Motorsport where they had been working it over and preparing the engine for the riding season.

It felt great to be riding again as I twisted the throttle to hear that familiar sound of all four cylinders firing in rhythm.  Awesome!

Starting mileage for 2017:
32406492126_d722894898_c.jpg

Bikejunkie1013 said:
Just to be clear the starting mileage was 103,385 ???

Yessir.  Turned over 100K this year.

I ended the year putting 11,298.5 miles on the bike, including riding to Nationals in Georgia and back.