• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Colorado Iron Butt 1000

nickrides

A couple of weeks ago one of my riding partners John Jett [ great name right?!] on a FJR 1300 and I did a all in Colorado IB 1000.
Here's the details:
Left Telluride 3:30 am bound for Dolores on Hwy 145 S.
Had to keep the speed way down- lots of animals around and dark.
East to Durango and a quick breakfast at Dennys.
East up over Wolf Creek Pass, it was pretty cool out and had to stop and put on my heated jacket.
Down to Del Norte, found a roadside coffee stand with a gorgeous 20 yr old gal and hit the head and got a quick coffee.
East through Alamosa, La Veta pass to Walensburg and then north on I-25 to downtown Denver, lotta road construction on this section.
Stopped in Downtown Denver at noon 500 miles in and had a burrito and Starbucks coffee drink, hot @ 92f.
Left Denver on I-70 westbound for Berthoud Pass and Granby up to Steamboat Springs, this was a nice section, lots of traffic leaving Denver but it was moving at 75-80.
Up Into Steamboat and west on 40 to Hayden Craig out to Dinosaur. This section from Hayden to Dinosaur we went a bit wild and we were running at 90-130- no wind- good conditions lots of cloud shade, no cops. We would find these long straights slightly down hill with good sight lines and go. At full throttle at speed the FJR and the Connie were about even.
Left turn at Dino for Rangely, Loma and Grand Junction.
Down Hwy 50 to Delta, Montrose where it started to get dark and a bit rainy.
Right turn at Ridgway up over Dallas Divide to Placerville.
Back home in Telluride Co at 10 PM
Fun day- didn't feel too bad, stayed hydrated, took some ibuphrophen and just had a bit of a sore neck.
The Connie ran great and is comfortable with a RDL seat bar backs, grip puppies XL Cee Bailey windscreen. Shodabeen flash.
The FJR and the Connie are nicely matched at speed. I've ridden that bike and its nice.
Saw alot of Colorado, good day for it, light winds lots of cloud shade good partner!
Nick
2014 C-14

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago one of my riding partners John Jett [ great name right?!] on a FJR 1300 and I did a all in Colorado IB 1000.
Here's the details:
Left Telluride 3:30 am bound for Dolores on Hwy 145 S.
Had to keep the speed way down- lots of animals around and dark.
East to Durango and a quick breakfast at Dennys.
East up over Wolf Creek Pass, it was pretty cool out and had to stop and put on my heated jacket.
Down to Del Norte, found a roadside coffee stand with a gorgeous 20 yr old gal and hit the head and got a quick coffee.
East through Alamosa, La Veta pass to Walensburg and then north on I-25 to downtown Denver, lotta road construction on this section.
Stopped in Downtown Denver at noon 500 miles in and had a burrito and Starbucks coffee drink, hot @ 92f.
Left Denver on I-70 westbound for Berthoud Pass and Granby up to Steamboat Springs, this was a nice section, lots of traffic leaving Denver but it was moving at 75-80.
Up Into Steamboat and west on 40 to Hayden Craig out to Dinosaur. This section from Hayden to Dinosaur we went a bit wild and we were running at 90-130- no wind- good conditions lots of could shade, no cops. We would find these long straights slightly down hill with good sight lines and go. At full throttle at speed the FJR and the Connie were about even.
Left turn at Dino for Rangely, Loma and Grand Junction.
Down Hwy 50 to Delta, Montrose where it started to get dark and a bit rainy.
Right turn at Ridgway up over Dallas Divide to Placerville.
Back home in Telluride Co at 10 PM
Fun day- didn't feel too bad, stayed hydrated, took some ibuphrophen and just had a bit of a sore neck.
The Connie ran great and is comfortable with a RDL seat bar backs, grip puppies XL Cee Bailey windscreen. Shodabeen flash.
The FJR and the Connie are nicely matched at speed. I've ridden that bike and its nice.
Saw alot of Colorado, good day for it, light winds lots of cloud shade good partner!
Nick
2014 C-14
Sounds awesome. I did a Saddlesore 1000 on my Connie last fall; no problemo. I'm considering the Bun Burner 1500 on Labor Day weekend.

Colorado is a beautiful state to ride in!

Be safe and continue logging the miles and smiles ...