• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours Carving the Cumberlands or, Spring Rally 2022

bugnut

Hey y'all!
Official thread of the...

The SE COG 2022 Spring rally will be held at Fall Creek Falls State Park in Spencer TN, 28 April – 1 May 2022 (Thursday - Sunday)!

20180427_104344.jpg

We have reserved Fall Creek Falls Piney Creek Camp (FKA Group Camp 2), which will accommodate up to 150 people, it has 24 cabins, dining hall, commercial kitchen, 3 bath houses and a rec center. Theme is "Rustic” and was described by sage comrades in the past as, “think Boy Scout Camp”. The park Lodge/Restaurant is very close to the camp. Piney Creek is a large camp and fairly level, with a big field in the middle that has a base/softball backstop and a huge "bon fire" pit next to it with rough benches around it. Bring those Kermits and such if your tooshie needs more than lumber, logs, or rocks!

20180427_201511.jpg

No camping in a tent or camper is allowed in the group camp. Your registration fee will include a bed in one of the 24 cabins in the camp, please click on the links below to view the camp and cabins. If you feel you must camp in a tent or trailer, the park does have a designated campground which you can camp at, but you will need to make your own arrangements. Also, the hotel is about a 1/2 mile away, so if you want to camp in a hotel room, you are free to do so as well, but on your own.

Your registration fee will include a bed in a cabin, 3 dinners (Thursday, Friday & Saturday) and 3 breakfasts (Friday, Saturday & Sunday). There is not a park entrance fee. Lunch is on your own, the Lodge restaurant is open for Lunch and Dinner only, 7 days a week. But you’ll want to share in our staff cooked meals!

20180428_190216.jpg

Main Park Web Page: https://tnstateparks.com/parks/fall-creek-falls

From the website -

Fall Creek Falls State Park is one of Tennessee’s largest and most visited state parks. The park encompasses more than 29,800 acres sprawled across the eastern top of the rugged Cumberland Plateau. Laced with cascades, gorges, waterfalls, streams and lush stands of virgin hardwood timber, the park beckons those who enjoy nature at her finest. Fall Creek Falls, at 256 feet, is one of the highest waterfalls in the eastern United States. Other waterfalls within the park include Piney Falls, Cane Creek Falls, and Cane Creek Cascades.

Group Camp Site: http://tnstateparks.com/parks/group-camp/fall-creek-falls-group-camp-1

On the main website scroll down to the Group Camps, we are using Group Camp #2 also known as Fall Creek Falls Piney Creek Camp. Take that snapshot of bunkbeds to heart! It’s indoors, but just a vinyl mattress on a steel plate. Come prepared! Twin fitted sheet plus sleeping bag and pillow will keep you comfy - ish.

Park Map: https://tnstateparks.com/assets/pdf/additional-content/park-maps/Fall_Creek_Falls_web.jpg

Here is a couple links to the photo's taken in 2018 by Kurt and Kay and myself:

https://goo.gl/photos/gsttHdV1Uch7WXCw7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oQYkQiHsDXVGmGvm9

General notes for this Rally location:

You will need to bring your own linens/sleeping bag, soap & towels. We would suggest a twin fitted sheet for the mattress and then use your sleeping bag or just bring a blanket. Again, check pictures in links above and on website to know what you might need to bring! The cabins have electricity in them for a light and one two prong outlet. So again, plan accordingly – the electrical service might split 2 CPAPs, but anything more could be stretching capabilities. There is no A/C or heat in any of the cabins. Each cabin has 4 bunk beds, we are anticipating at putting no more than 3 to 4 attendees per cabin. We will try to keep couples in their own cabin and will designate a women's only cabin as well. Cabin assignments will be done upon check in at the rally.

This rally will require that all attendees volunteer in some aspect of the rally, either cooking or cleaning. We are responsible for the entire camp while we are there. Work assignments will be handed out at check in at the rally and will be coordinated to have little impact on your riding time.

We will have ride routes and area attractions available. The park itself has a golf course, boat rentals, bicycle rentals, fishing, pool, Canopy Challenge Course, and numerous hiking trails. And lots of cool places to see and explore on your bike!

20180427_152944.jpg

Special Announcement Regarding COVID-19

Please come prepared to follow to follow local guidelines regarding masks and social distancing.

Each person is responsible for monitoring their own health. If you feel sick, or if you've been in close contact with someone who has recently tested positive, please stay home.

Also, we are going to have t-shirts made up as well, which will be in addition to your rally fee. Likely purchased and sent before the rally. More info to come via the forum thread.

Registration/Fees

Registration fee is $75.00 for COG Members/Associate Members, and $85.00 for guests and non-members (including Forum-Only subscribers).

Cancellation/Refund Policy

Cancellations will be accepted up through 20 April 2022. Refunds will be paid by check (minus a $10 administration fee) and sent via USPS after the event. There will be no refunds for cancellations made after 21 April 2022.

Questions

Contact rally host Mike Laven at bugnut@aol.com or call (813) 727-2394.

Please check the COG Forums for additional announcements and conversations: Forums > Ride Time > Southeast Events, or follow this link Southeast Events | Concours Owners Group Forum.

More information will be added in the registration page once I've submitted it and menus will be firmed up as we get closer to the rally date.

Reg link...

See ya there!
Mike

Attachments

• 2022-01-14_8-00-49.jpg
    2022-01-14_8-00-49.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yep, I really enjoyed the last one and plan on being there for this one. Maybe a little warmer this year LOL

and Mike, the original post says 2021 :)

FYI, I'm in charge of the food like last time. We have not locked down the menu but it will be similar to last time. Like the post said, we have everyone volunteer for one scheduled duty which should not interfere with your ride time.

FYI, I'm in charge of the food like last time. We have not locked down the menu but it will be similar to last time. Like the post said, we have everyone volunteer for one scheduled duty which should not interfere with your ride time.

With Kurt "on the food" you KNOW you'll eat well. Whoee!! (Oh, and btw, that first picture is NOT the dining hall, just saying...) LOL

Yep, I really enjoyed the last one and plan on being there for this one. Maybe a little warmer this year LOL

and Mike, the original post says 2021 :)
Got that Sir! TY!

Thought I got them all, but dang it, first one slipped by!

And oh yeah, dining hall looks WAY better than that shack! One of the many sites I came across in 18. I think that's real close to the Caverns and I'll probably stop there again.

Mike

We plan to be there once again. Hopefully the last 400 mile stretch for us want be cold & raining as it was in 18. If it's warm out maybe the mice will stay outside & not scurry around in the cabin so much. 🤔

Great event, looking forward to it!

I suggest that mouse traps (ones made from 5 gallon buckets be placed in the cabins on Wednesday night prior to the rally.😉

You mean we can't trailer all the way to Tennessee?

While discussing this event with Ted he mentioned wanting to ride. So being the nice guy that I am :unsure:, I suggested he trailer north pick you up & layover here park the truck. Then y'all could ride over with us the following day. He liked the idea; the wife did question whether or not y'all would make the 500 mile east with us :ROFLMAO:.

So, trailer all the way or prove her wrong!

Either way, just attend.

Last edited:
I've been talkin' with the guys in our group that might go.
All prefer the trailer idea. So, (believe it or not) I was overruled. :eek:

That sed, none have {yet} agreed to go.
Everyone,, please help me work on them.

err; Nice guy??

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Tell yer bride that I could do the 500 miles. I'd have to stop about 5 times, but I could do it.

err; Nice guy??

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Tell yer bride that I could do the 500 miles. I'd have to stop about 5 times, but I could do it.

You know she will probably give you a hard time regardless. 😊

err; Nice guy??

Ride safe, Ted

👍
I’m with ya Ted, after about 100 miles I’m ready to stretch and rest a bit, have a bottle of water

Things to do while in and around the Park -

Cumberland Caverns, spectacular caves, and none too strenuous for a couple hours in the cool air.
https://cumberlandcaverns.com/
2022-02-03_9-06-14.jpg
2022-02-03_9-07-07.jpg

George ****el Distillery - seems our electronic censor overlords don't like Georges last name! But I like his mash! Great tour.
https://www.georgedickel.com 2022-02-03_9-05-17.jpg2022-02-03_9-02-59.jpg

And this place, well if you don't know this spot...gotta see it! In the rain is special, but dry is ok too! ;-) Not terribly far from the park, but a nice day ride there and back.
2022-02-03_9-09-51.jpg

Mike

Registered and riding.
Will be looking for a bourbon drinking and cigar smoking non PC speaking bunkmate when I get there. Thankfully that rules out Ted who I've already spent way too many nights with listening to his snoring.

Some pictures from 2018. Good Times and Good Food!

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 122
More pictures from 2018.

Attachments

• IMG_0353 (1).jpg
    IMG_0353 (1).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0388 (1).jpg
    IMG_0388 (1).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0390 (1).jpg
    IMG_0390 (1).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0446 (1).jpg
    IMG_0446 (1).jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 121
Registered and riding.
Will be looking for a bourbon drinking and cigar smoking non PC speaking bunkmate when I get there. Thankfully that rules out Ted who I've already spent way too many nights with listening to his snoring.
Looking forward to seeing you Al!!!

Registered and riding.
HEY!! I resemble that remark!

Ride safe, Ted

The titles Al and Sir do not go together in the same sentence.

Ride safe, Ted

PS; Hey Al... Fingerwave to ya.. :p

Last edited:
Registered and riding.

Oh Hell

Since many of us carry while traveling, I plan on spending some time here and would welcome some company.
23/gen4/40 cal

Hey, my son has to work during this excursion....(I had signed him up) So if anyone needs a guest ticket I have one.

Let me know. Thanks, Bill

Since many of us carry while traveling, I plan on spending some time here and would welcome some company.
23/gen4/40 cal
I'll join this excursion... M&P S PC 2.0/.45ACP 👍

A small bump for this event! You KNOW you want to be there!

So far I've got the below tentatively worked out for jobs. As you can see, we need a Cook for Thursday Dinner, Friday Breakfast and Sunday Breakfast...and a few more slots for helpers and more women! ;) Once we have a few more attendees and volunteers for the slots we'll be in good shape job-wise and cut back on the double up jobs. So Register! Volunteer! The effort needs you! Yeah, YOU!

1648492085416.png

Cabin-wise, I have this based on requests and pull of the hat. Knowing we have PLENTY of space, we can just about crash in one bunkhouse each. So just a general pick and choose right now -

1648494908877.png

Open to shifting jobs/bunks as needed/wanted provided we have space, availability and no one goes hungry or sleep depraved due to snoring. Be warned Rocky and Erik! 🤫

Mike

The chatter for this rally has been underwhelming. Meals, lodging and registration for 75 dollars for 4 glorious days in TN should have this rally near max numbers by now.
Get in there and get it done.

Concours Owners Group - Concours Carving the Cumberlands - SECOG Spring Rally [TN]

The chatter for this rally has been underwhelming. Meals, lodging and registration for 75 dollars for 4 glorious days in TN should have this rally near max numbers by now.
Get in there and get it done.

Concours Owners Group - Concours Carving the Cumberlands - SECOG Spring Rally [TN]
Thanks Al!!

We are locking down the menus.

Breakfast is the same, eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, oatmeal, yogurt, bananas, pancakes and COFFEE!!

Dinner Thursday: Lasagna, Spaghettis' & Meatballs, Salad & Garlic Toast and cookies for dessert.
Dinner Friday: Baked Chicken, Green Beans, Baked Potatoes, Salad & Peach Cobbler.
Dinner Saturday: Pork Loin, Corn, French Fries, Salad & a dessert TBD (probably cupcakes).

FYI, there maybe some variations to the menu but the above is what we are thinking.

No lunch but any leftovers can be warmed up and eaten as long as you clean up after yourself.

There is a walk in refrigerator and freezer should anyone need to store anything that needs to be cold. There is also an ice machine available to us in the kitchen.

Pitter Patter, let's get at'er and sign up!!

You're doing all the hard work Kurt, and have this down to a science. Nice menu. I'm the cook for Thursday dinner and Saturday breakfast.
Anybody been around long enough to remember my Suches Airport spaghetti suppers? Or my hamburg and hot dog frequent rally treat. Let's see the love

I didn't get a harumph outta that guy! 🤪

Its looking better and better. We made a trip over and eyeballed the sight thisnpast weekend. Hiked to Fall Creek Falls and Cane Falls while there. The place is gorgeous. Hiking, biking and farting around is easy here. Plus, we found some roads I really wish I was on the bike for. Blasted as fast as a Xterra can can with a 3" lift and 33s!

Get on board y'all, its a bargain, the place is cool, and you can do a $hit ton of other stuff. Jack Daniel's, George ****le and Nearest Green distilleries are an easy day trip. Plus riding in between! Can't be beat! And you get food before and after your day? Each DAY?! Count me in! Oh, yeah already in!

Hope to see y'all there!
Mike

Still looking for a lead chef / big chief for leading meal effort on Friday and Sunday Breakfast. Can certainly shift folks around as wanted.

1649331103588.png

And bunkmates so far - lots of cabins to spare so if someone is noisy 😴 or ... stinky 😵, got extra open ones for sure at this point.

1649331303704.png

Spread the word. This should be a blast!
Mike

I have really been looking forward to this rally, but I have had a scheduling conflict and I am not going to be able to make it for the weekend. I might try to come up on Thursday and spend one night. I would have leave by noon on Friday.

A small bump for this event! You KNOW you want to be there!

So far I've got the below tentatively worked out for jobs. As you can see, we need a Cook for Thursday Dinner, Friday Breakfast and Sunday Breakfast...and a few more slots for helpers and more women! ;) Once we have a few more attendees and volunteers for the slots we'll be in good shape job-wise and cut back on the double up jobs. So Register! Volunteer! The effort needs you! Yeah, YOU!

View attachment 31952

Cabin-wise, I have this based on requests and pull of the hat. Knowing we have PLENTY of space, we can just about crash in one bunkhouse each. So just a general pick and choose right now -

View attachment 31954

Open to shifting jobs/bunks as needed/wanted provided we have space, availability and no one goes hungry or sleep depraved due to snoring. Be warned Rocky and Erik! 🤫

Mike

Hey Mike,
Just an FYI... I'm bringing a guest / non COG member with me.
His name is Terry Peters.
Thanks
Bob

Any chance to get the ride routes, plan on being at the park in late August early September?

Hey Steve,
I don't think we've had anyone plan specific routes for this one. Lots of places to go to around the area. If any one has any, please post up!

Mike

Hey, feeling left out 😔. Have actually been registered awhile...was it something I said about the beer selection?? 😎
Can do breakfast as needed...

Hey, feeling left out 😔. Have actually been registered awhile...was it something I said about the beer selection?? 😎
Can do breakfast as needed...
You can be the Chief cook and bottle washer, or maybe the PLO.

Registration closes in a week, Thursday April 21st.

We won’t have much leeway in taking late registrations as we are purchasing the food based on registration numbers on the 21st.

Of those attending, anyone interested in a one time, one size, one color version of that image above on a T?

Plan is to have ONLY XXL, Burgandy to dark red color, and only pre-ordres at $20 COD at the rally.

Just semi-exploratory at this point, and only a week really to give me time to make them up between 4 to 6 meetings daily, system go lives and breakdowns, and corralling a herd of 6 'cats' under my supervision daily, while working remotely!

So order quick and we'll start a string of people.

Mike

Of those attending, anyone interested in a one time, one size, one color version of that image above on a T?

Plan is to have ONLY XXL, Burgandy to dark red color, and only pre-ordres at $20 COD at the rally.

Just semi-exploratory at this point, and only a week really to give me time to make them up between 4 to 6 meetings daily, system go lives and breakdowns, and corralling a herd of 6 'cats' under my supervision daily, while working remotely!

So order quick and we'll start a string of people.

Mike
1 for me if XXL 1 more if L is an option.

Mike

XXL will fit both of us & a baby at the same time! :unsure:

Last edited:
OK, based on the few sideline chats so far, going to order 28 shirts as of now. 16 XXL, and then 12 XL. Sooo, same thing, names and commitments would be okey dokey please.

Ron - XXL
Katie - XL ?
Mike - XXL

#s left 14 XXL, 11 XL

OK, based on the few sideline chats so far, going to order 28 shirts as of now. 16 XXL, and then 12 XL. Sooo, same thing, names and commitments would be okey dokey please.

Ron - XXL
Katie - XL ?
Mike - XXL

#s left 14 XXL, 11 XL
Though I'm really a L, I'm more comfortable in an XL.
Put me down for (1) XL please.

I went for a ride for a ride today. out to falls creek falls. I went on highway 30 from Mcminville tn to 284 that goes into the park. At about 5 miles out of Spencer tn going east on 30 there is a light and a short one lane. The road gave away at a corner. Other wise it's good and curvy. put me down for a XXl. Glenn.

Ron - XXL
Katie - XL ?
Mike - XXL
Marty - XL
Glenn - XXL
Kurt - XL

#s left 13 XXL, 9 XL

Last edited:
Am stoked about my routes to and from the event. A visit to the 'W' up the backside of Signal Mountain and SR 127 in SE Tennessee and a return leg through Villanow and Subligna or the Pocket in Floyd County. Most excellent road trip ahead!

Ron - XXL
Katie - XL ?
Mike - XXL
Marty - XL
Glenn - XXL
Kurt - XL
Tom - XL (sheesh, about time!) 😉

#s left 13 XXL, 8 XL

Yes sir!

Ron - XXL
Katie - XL ?
Mike - XXL
Marty - XL
Glenn - XXL
Kurt - XL
Tom - XL
Ken - XXL

#s left 12 XXL, 8 XL

Gotcha Ken. Doing my side hustle as a working stiff and catching up slowly! One of these days gotta give up that side hustle!

Mike

Not having been to this event before, who's got intel on the roads in the area? Thinking a return thru Spencer/Calfkiller Brewery may be an option...

Calfkiller is a must stop for you. Two brothers started it about 4-5 years ago. YOU will particularly enjoy it.

Not having been to this event before, who's got intel on the roads in the area? Thinking a return thru Spencer/Calfkiller Brewery may be an option...
Calfkiller does tours on Saturday, reservations are recommended. There is the Devil’s Triangle ( https://devilstriangletn.com ) N/NW of Oakridge. Also good roads N of Cookville. Hwy 30 from McMinville thru Spencer, past FCF to Pikeville is a good ride.

Also check this site out: https://www.ridethesmokies.com/rides/cherohala-triangle

State of TN has Moto Road Maps, stop at the TN welcome center and pick one up. Glenn lives in Murfreesboro and should be good resource for good roads to ride.

OK, unless we get any late comers to the party - deadline has pass so shouldn't, unless there's a bribe in there somewhere, here's the cabin and job assignments. And I'll take bribes for those too! ;) I kid, I kid!

1650644031660.png

One Job that's empty at the moment is Bathhouse attendant for last day. Not an issue but would love a volunteer to just run a last pass to clean up before we all bug out.

1650644053776.png

As mentioned, it's gonna be chilly at night, and the cabins are, um, somewhat less than sealed against the elements. So you might not get wet in the rain (no rain please!), but you'll feel the breeze! Planning on personally bringing my Little Buddy heater and a few green bottles to ward off the chill! And again, I'm pretty sure there's only one outlet in each of the cabins so judicial use of 110 will be required!

Still have time for shirts. XXL and XL are available.
Ron - XXL
Katie - XL
Mike - XXL
Marty - XL
Glenn - XXL
Kurt - XL
Tom - XL
Ken - XXL

#s left 12 XXL, 8 XL

Thanks, and look forward to see y'all!
Mike

1650645451720.png

Everyone please check-in/sign-in when you get there, so you get your wristband and your swag (assuming I remember to bring it....) and so you can eat. Gonna be a nice weekend!