• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours or FJR

jdcowboy

I know this is a Concours forum so I expect support for the Concours.  I am looking at 2013-15 Concours and FJR's.  I know about the changes between the years on both bikes.  The FJR forum suggested that the FJR was much more reliable than the Concours.  I see many more Concours for sale on Cycle Trader than I do FJR's and the FJR's tend to be more expensive year to year compared with the Concours.  I suspect many of you cross-shopped as I am.  The biggest complaint the FJR owners had about the Concours was the lack of cruise-control.  I have cruise control on my Harley and I like it.  Why did you choose the Concours over the FJR?  Personally, I think the Concours is the better looking of the two.  Thanks.

Sorry, posted in wrong group.  Should have been in C14 group.

I have both: 2014 FJR (red) and the lime green 2015 Concours. I think both bikes are very reliable. The Concours is a little bigger than the FJR. The instruments on the FJR are alot easier to read than the Concours, but the mirrors are give alot more visibility than the FJR. I've had Ivan flash both of the bikes, and the Concours will walk off from the FJR. Maintenance is easier on the FJR. The lack of cruise control is a common complaint with the Concours, but my opinion is that anyone who rides with cruise control is crazy. Can't go wrong with either bike.

I went from my C-10 to and FJR 2 years ago. I tried both and found the FJR not as top heavy as the C-14. I added a simple manual cruise control that works fine. Even though I don't have a Connie I stayed a member of COG because of my COG family.

I plan on mostly local rides with some touring. I know about throttle locks and figure that would work fine most of the time. 

Yeah I first used a o ring and it helped but I have nerve damage in my right hand the relief is great and you can concentrate on other things with cruise on, as soon as you touch the front or rear brake it's off, what's the problem? safer,
rocking with the music cranking not paying attention is more of a problem,

I chose the C14 because I got a smokin hot deal on it.  One day, I'll probably add electronic cruise.  For now, getting by with a cheap throttle lock.  The C14 is a lot of bike for the money.  Don't think I've ever seen a price on an FJR that made me want to go buy it.

When I set out to replace my ageing C10, the FJR was at the top of my list.  When compared to the C14, it appeared to have more of the features I was looking for.  It was lighter and had a longer wheelbase.  The tank was larger and the bike burned regular as opposed to premium.  Furthermore, it came equipped with both electronically adjustable suspension and cruise.  The C14 did not.  Price wise, it was about $1,500 (CAN) more.  The optional three year warranty (standard on the C14) would have set me back an extra $1,200. 

Lucky for me, a dealer in our area had both a C14 and FJR parked on the showroom floor, side by side.  What finally pushed me to the C14 was comfort.  I'm tall and simply could not get comfortable on the FJR despite the adjustable seat and handlebars.

I will add what I have since learned.  The C14 is more solidly built and has a 503 lbs payload.  A cruise equipped FJR will only haul 424 lbs and if you look at Yamaha's site, you will find buried in the specs, a short note suggesting that the factory top box should not be installed in conjunction with the paniers for fear of overloading the subframe.  Interesting.  If you ride solo, this won't be a problem.  If you ride two up, it might. 

Where fuel is concerned, an ECO equipped C14 gets excellent mileage.  On tour, I was forced to do 465 km before finally finding a gas station that sold premium, though to be honest I think I was running on fumes or divine intervention towards the end.       

They are both great bikes, so you'll be ok regardless.  And yes, I do think the C14 looks (slightly) better.  Good luck. 

I was torn between the two until I rode the FJR.

It just didn't inspire me = no soul.  Very bland and unimpressive.  And only five gears at the time, was a deal-breaker for me.
That's since been addressed, and you can get an automatic with DCT now, I believe.

The FJR had all the upgraded bells and whistles that I wanted (Cruise, LED headlamps/Turns, Adj susp) but it just didn't move me like the C14 did.  I bought a C14 sight unseen (new) and have never looked back.

Price wasn't a consideration, although for all the money I've spent in Mods, I could have afforded a BMW, had I wanted to.

it's all personal preference.  They BOTH have their pluses and minuses, but the C14 is ALOT of bike for the money.

gr

The only thing I don't like about my 2013 FJR is that the C14 is faster.  :'(

I went into the dealer that day to trade in my C10 for a C14 but came away with the FJR and really like it. In my youth I was almost 6'5" and do not have comfort issues on the FJR other than the stock seat becoming a serious problem after a couple of hours. An aftermarket seat pretty much fixed that problem for me.

I love the cruise control. There are technically 5 ways to exit a controlled speed situation. The brakes, the clutch lever, closing the throttle past the idle position (there's a switch in the housing) and pushing the on/off button (will lose your speed setting). Very easy and safe. I had throttle locks on both of my C10s and thought they were the bees knees but once you ride with a real cruise control there's no going back to throttle locks. Having factory cruise control gets you all the controls integrated into the switch gear housing. Super slick. With a 2013 FJR you get an 82 MPH max set speed for the cruise control. The customer base was so unhappy that for 2014 Yamaha bumped it up to 100 MPH. Ivan can get rid of the limit.

The FJR has a 6-speed transmission starting in 2016 but I love the 5-speed in mine. It's just that much less fiddling around and for inexplicable reasons to me, Yamaha made 1st gear taller in the 6-speed than in the 5-speed. I really don't get that. All that being said, folk with the 6-speed really like it.

The 2016 and newer FJRs also have a slipper/assisted clutch. For about $300.00 the new clutch bits bolt right in to the older clutches.

The C14 has a larger fairing than the FJR. I was worried about cool weather riding but am very happy with the extra breeze in warm weather. You just have to figure out a riding gear situation that works for you.

I think the newer FJRs are better looking than the C14 but that is certainly a minority opinion around here.  :)

I too stayed a member of COG because the people are great and they don't give a rip what anybody rides.

Recently; My son (FJR) and I (Flashed Connie} did roll-ons to compare the bikes.
                  Mine beat is easily. {but he had his girlfriend on the back}
                  So, she got on my bike and we did the Roll-on's again.
                  Again; Mine beat is easily.. {with his girlfriend on the back of mine (laughing at him)}  :rotflmao:
                      E'nuff sed?  :motonoises:

{He is now looking to buy a Connie...)  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

I'm 6'2" tall and when I sat on a FJR I just could not get into a comfortable enough position to consider riding it for full day touring. The seat didn't adjust enough for me but I did like the look of it. My C14 with a Shouldaben flash, Throttlemeister,  and a Baldwin GT seat has given me 650 mile days back to back like nothing....I need that once in a while and I don't think an FJR can do that with my body type. The price is right on the Concours, basic maintenance is easy for me, and I love bikes with big motors. I paid for a valve adjust at 46,000 Mi. and will ride it for another 50K and will be ready for a fresh bike by then anyway. I will probably look for a low mile Concours and start over.

I can have an FJR as soon as I get off my a$$ and make a trip across the valley to an old friends house and make a deal on his 2006 with 9K on it. He quit riding a couple years ago and told me to come get it! About 6 weeks after I bought my 2011 Connie this spring. I have always liked his FJR from a distance. But what bike makes you want to quit riding when you have no physical limitations and you haven't hit 60 yet?!?  :-\

I absolutely love my Connie so I'm none to sure I will ever go get that FJR - except to pickup the new in the box cruise he bought but never installed, and possibly bring the FJR home to clean, tune up and sell. I plan to buy a Goldwing DCT at some point down the road to add to my stable, and the FJR just may make a contribution to that fund - but my Connie is going to be next to my coffin when it is time for my dirt nap. Of that I have no doubt.  :great:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

connie_rider said:
Recently; My son (FJR) and I (Flashed Connie} did roll-ons to compare the bikes.
                  Mine beat is easily. {but he had his girlfriend on the back}
                  So, she got on my bike and we did the Roll-on's again.
                  Again; Mine beat is easily.. {with his girlfriend on the back of mine (laughing at him)}  :rotflmao:
                      E'nuff sed?  :motonoises:

{He is now looking to buy a Connie...)  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

Had that same type of experience with my Nephew. His FJR (not a bad bike just doesn't feel like as quality a machine) and my '09 C14.
Ran away from the FJR. Then we swapped bikes for the rest of the ride. He bought a Connie. Can't sell the Yama LLama so he still has it.  :motonoises:

Back torque limiter is  important to me as a safety issue.  FJR did not have it until 2016 and up .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        'FJR for 2016 giving the machine a 6-speed transmission (both in standard and auto-shift versions), slipper/assist clutch'

Keep in mind that if you posed the same question on the FJR forum, there would be numerous posts praising the FJR and trashing the Concours. The only substantive advantage the Concours has over the FJR is speed, but that's balanced out by the more difficult maintenance (like valve adjustment) on the Concours and the lack of cruise control, in my humble opinion. Both bikes beat the BMW by miles. Don't be afraid of either bike, and pick the one that tickles your fancy after test rides.

Michael said:
Keep in mind that if you posed the same question on the FJR forum, there would be numerous posts praising the FJR and trashing the Concours. The only substantive advantage the Concours has over the FJR is speed, but that's balanced out by the more difficult maintenance (like valve adjustment) on the Concours and the lack of cruise control, in my humble opinion. Both bikes beat the BMW by miles. Don't be afraid of either bike, and pick the one that tickles your fancy after test rides.

+1  :great:

Three years ago, when researching and actively looking for a good, used sport tourer, FJR or Conne, I was pretty convinced that either would suit my needs.  My oldest brother lives on the front range in Colorado and loves his 2006 FJR for a canyon cruiser, but I had never visited him in warm weather to try it out.  My oldest son had bought a 2010 C14.  It was ok, but I wasn't terribly impressed with that particular bike, I'm still not, but he is not one to maintain a vehicle well.
Earmarking a 2008 C14 in Kentucky on the Autotrader website I made an appointment to see the bike for the next Monday after work, as the owner was going out of town for the weekend.  In the meantime a 2008 or 9 JFR came on the market about 45 minutes from me.  I drove over to see this bike in person on Sunday.  It was beautiful, nary a blemish and quite eye appealing, yet, it just didn't speak to me.  On my test ride 'underwhelmed' was the word that described my feelings toward this bike.  It was worth every penny that man was asking, a little over $5K, yet I knew I wouldn't buy it.  I was so disappointed by the ST concept that I nearly decided to cancel my appointment with the owner of the C14 the next day, but I went anyway.  Glad I did, too.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I liked what I saw instantly.  As soon as I cleared the gravel driveway and proceeded on the asphalt of the road I said out loud in my helmet, "I am buying this bike."  I did it for me.  The extra uumph and bark of the Two Brother's exhaust didn't hurt, either. 

Since that purchase I've flown out and cruised the mountains of Colorado on my brother's FJR 3 years in a row.  It is a dandy bike, no complaints at all.  Yet, I am always pleased to swing a leg over my C14.  Ultimately it comes down to what you really want in a bike.  Both the FJR and the C14 can do much more than I am capable of as a rider, and I would have grown to enjoy the FJR, if I would have bought it.  It just happened to be love at first sight for the Connie.  Your tastes may be different. 

Michael said:

Many bikes see 50,000 or more before valve adjustments we have a member here with over 220,000 miles with two adjustments, the problem is in one head.
I also looked at Yamaha first, I've have several Yamaha bikes, snowmobiles, waverunners, always had good luck with them, but after my test ride back in 2011  I bought a new ZG1400 they sold Yamahas also, I thought the difference was night and day, it's a smile machine, it alway delivers will not sell it till I'm done  riding.. 

Jdcowboy said:
I know this is a Concours forum so I expect support for the Concours.  I am looking at 2013-15 Concours and FJR's.  I know about the changes between the years on both bikes.  The FJR forum suggested that the FJR was much more reliable than the Concours.  I see many more Concours for sale on Cycle Trader than I do FJR's and the FJR's tend to be more expensive year to year compared with the Concours.  I suspect many of you cross-shopped as I am.  The biggest complaint the FJR owners had about the Concours was the lack of cruise-control.  I have cruise control on my Harley and I like it.  Why did you choose the Concours over the FJR?  Personally, I think the Concours is the better looking of the two.  Thanks.

Sorry, posted in wrong group.  Should have been in C14 group.

Any decision yet?

I test rode a C14 and found it bigger, top heavier (?) and did not like the linked brakes or even the looks for that matter. We all have our own aesthetic tastes. I bought a 2004 FJR (first generation) and then later bought a 2008 FJR (second generation). If get another bike, most likely it will be a third generation FJR (2013 on up) mainly for the factory cruise control. They are, in my opinion, very easy to work on and reliable as an anvil.

Which model is faster is a moot issue for me. The comparison is kind of like which station wagon is faster in a drag race. ;) Compared to my sons CBR1000RR, any of these look slow.

BTW, I'm not slamming the C14 at all. If the FJR did not exist, I would have one.

Congratulations on having the courage to go with your heart in spite of the obvious bias on this forum in favor of the Concours 14. As I said earlier, I have both, and your observations about both bikes are valid. I'm glad to be able to afford both bikes. Enjoy your FJR. 

Michael said:
Congratulations on having the courage to go with your heart in spite of the obvious bias on this forum in favor of the Concours 14. As I said earlier, I have both, and your observations about both bikes are valid. I'm glad to be able to afford both bikes. Enjoy your FJR.
For the life of me I could not understand why there would be a bias on this forum For the Concours :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Michael, what a nice response! I half expected to get flamed to ashes for what I posted.  :great:
I really liked the look of the C10, but the C14... that muffler.  ;)

Stating the obvious, "people are far more important" than what we choose to ride. God made us all different.

If we were all the same, it would be quite boring ...

Enjoy you FJR, C-10, C-14 or whatever gets you out and enjoying His creation!

Road Runner said:
Stating the obvious, "people are far more important" than what we choose to ride. God made us all different.

If we were all the same, it would be quite boring ...

Enjoy you FJR, C-10, C-14 or whatever gets you out and enjoying His creation!

+1 Congrats enjoy the ride!!!  :))

There's enough conflict and BS in the world without bringing it here.  We're just happy to be talking about bikes and all that go with them.  Glad you found something you like!  Next year, you can go find another to add to the collection.😊

Bud said:
There's enough conflict and BS in the world without bringing it here.  We're just happy to be talking about bikes and all that go with them.  Glad you found something you like!  Next year, you can go find another to add to the collection.😊

Trouble-maker...  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

Congrats on the FJR. Yea cruse might be nice. First time I went across Montana when the bike was running great, enjoying the smooth ride, and thinking life is great, I found this. You had better look at the speedometer. This thing will flat fly with no effort. Reliability? My 09 is over 50K which isn't a lot but I do have two bikes I regularly ride. (Or did until this year) If someone says the C14 is not reliable then you can assume they have a full diaper. Under warranty I had two issues. The OEM battery died an early death and I had a leaky final drive.

Last long C14 trip I did 1,447 miles in two days. It was a very hot time of the year and when I got home I figured I pretty much knew how the cowboys felt driving a herd of cows into Abilene. But this trip was not without problems. My rear TPS told me the rear tire was low on air in the middle of Montana. When the red warning  light went off I happened to be passing a sign that said there was a HD dealer 2 miles ahead.

They gave me air with directions to a metric dealer.  The hole was very small. Installing a plug would have been difficult just trying to run the tools through it and then with a plug was not going to happen. So I bought a new tire.

My 09 has been very reliable in IMHO. Change the oil and put gas in it. Kawasaki finally got the linked brakes right in 2015. I test rode a 2015 and forgot the brakes were even linked. 

I got to ride a 09 FJR, 120,000 mile bike, today from Rico Co to Stoner Co. It's a 70-90 mph section with smooth pavement with lots of constant radius corners, I maxed it out at 145. Very Nice bike, really quiet, easy to ride, nice seating. Nice shifting.
My '14 Connie has better brakes and very slightly more juice. The FJR, was, as it was set up, with stiffer front forks and I Just set more preload on my front forks. Anyway the FJR is what everyone says it is. Fast easy to ride, great ergonomics, exceptionally quiet. Very Planted.
We did a side by side 50 mph roll on in 2nd last month and ran them up to 120, I shifted at 8500 and the Connie had a very slight lead at the end- only 2 bike length's.
BTW my Connie has Steve's Mt Runner flash in the ECU.
Nick
2014 C-14

I owned a 2007 FJR for a bit, it's a great bike and I actually liked it better than I like my current C14. The only issues is me being 6'4" and I just didn't fit on the FJR well enough to keep it. I installed risers and a taller seat, but it still didn't work for me on all day rides. To me, the FJR is worlds smoother and even more turbine like than the C14 and the weight feels like it's lower than the C14. Every Kawi I've owned has seemed a bit rough around the edges, but it fits my body type better than the FJR, so C14 it is for now. Until I can convince myself I'm willing to pay for BMW maintenance.

Attachments

• SkywayFJR1300 07222017.jpg
    SkywayFJR1300 07222017.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 155
Michael, what a nice response! I half expected to get flamed to ashes for what I posted. :great:
I really liked the look of the C10, but the C14... that muffler. ;)
I can't blame you for not liking the stock muffer on a C-14. Its a fact that many manufacturers have had to compromise when it comes to a muffler that meets all the government requirements... thus... the aftermarket exhaust industry was born. Consider this... I once bought a brand new Supertrap 4 into one exhaust system for my 1983 GS 1100E Suzuki for $150. The bonus was you could add or subtract diffuser disk as desired . Then... upsize the main jets and get a little more power.

Times have changed... however, you can still get a nice performance increase from a properly thought out and well engineered exhaust system.
Anytime you buy a motorcycle with stock exhaust the possibilities for improved performance exist.

If you were to buy a C-14 then a slip on would be the minimum upgrade for you in my opinion. Its an easy upgrade to be done in your garage and you will benefit in weight reduction and performance. Then... add to that... the sound can be intoxicating! we aren't turning Formula 1 levels of rpm on a C-14 like the 600 cc sport bikes do... however... motor music is still music.

Some people say I am good at preaching to the choir... so... how am I doing? 😊

Yes, my recently acquired C-14 has a slip on... and my Busa has a Yosh 4 into 1 with a shortened carbon can... its "music!"

So... get the C-14... plenty of good exhaust stuff for the C-14 is available and not over priced imho.