• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

connecting rods are next

dclifford652047

So now that I have diagnosed the problem as a bent connecting rod (thanks to several Cog member's response to my plea for cams. See thread title "desperately seeking camshafts"). I am now in search of a solution to this problem. Obviously Kawasaki doesn't care about us any more so I need someone with a junk motor to part with a connecting rod or two. I work in a machine shop so I am considering straightening the bent rod and letting it ride. What do I have to lose?

So now that I have diagnosed the problem as a bent connecting rod (thanks to several Cog member's response to my plea for cams. See thread title "desperately seeking camshafts"). I am now in search of a solution to this problem. Obviously Kawasaki doesn't care about us any more so I need someone with a junk motor to part with a connecting rod or two. I work in a machine shop so I am considering straightening the bent rod and letting it ride. What do I have to lose?
Wow - straightening the conrod… I would think:
  1. Once bent the loss of designed material properties would be an issue
  2. After bending back will the conrod not be a tad longer now?
  3. Unlikely geometry of the bend is simple
I have never heard of anyone straightening a bent conrod - let us know how it goes. If it were me though I wouldn’t consider it, too much other potential loss.

I went to Ebay / motorcycle parts, and typed in "Connecting Rod Kawasaki Concours 1000" and found several. Many are a complete set with crank etc.
I selected this one as it has a mildly bent rod in it that you can see..
NOTE: With 1/4' difference in rod heights, yours is bent far worse.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If you buy a used rod, I think you need to buy one that is the same balance group as the ones in your bike.
Others can give more details on that thought.

Last edited:
Straightening a bent connecting rod... that falls under the idea of "just because you can doesn't mean you should". Remember that the rod was weakened when the beam bent, on one side in compression and the other side in tension. Now you want to straighten it, stretching the compressed side and compacting the stressed side. The rod has been deformed on a molecular level. IMO, nothing good will come from this repair.
Steve

Thank you all for the good input. It's nice to state an idea and have constructive criticism without being berated like on so many other social mediums. I seriously doubt that I will attempt to straighten the rod, it is VERY bent and I agree with Steve in sunny Fla that there would be metallurgical consequence. I have yet to crack the case open but it will be soon. Summer is short here in the Great North Woods of NH and I would like to ride at least a little.
Please feel free to comment with your experience and advice.

Dave

I'm not sure what your model year is (and they all may be the same) but for 2000 the PN for the connecting rod is:

13251-1075-KK​

If you search for that on EBAY you will find many choices. There are also some new offerings showing up on a general search which may be NOS at one or more dealer. You might call around if you want to try to get a new rod.