• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Connie Newby

Pmack

Bought a 2009 Concours today with 33k on the clock(thanks Chris!)
I am in central Alabama(Vinemont) and a very experienced rider. I have always been a Honda guy(mr50,xl125,xr350,xr600,cr125,cr250,cr500,hawk400,cbr600f3,vfr750,cbr929,crf230f,crf450x,cbr1000rr,st1300), but now I own two Kawi's(2011 N1K and 2009 C-14).
I bought the N1k because I wanted more sporty than ST performance. I bought the Connie because I want more 2 up comfort than the N1k without sacrificing too much 2 up performance.
I don't believe the forks or valves have ever been serviced on this bike. I plan to do the valve maintenance, change fork fluid, wheel bearing service, etc. over the next month or so. Anyone had tight valves at this mileage? Anything else I should do while it is down that far besides cam sensor o-ring?
I am a little scared(paranoid?) about the Kipass system failures. The TPMS batteries are dead in my new to me bike, and I intend to leave them so unless someone convinces me otherwise.
I am planning to get an Ivan's flash, as my N1k has. Can anyone comment on if the bike runs cooler with the Ivan's flash?
I may get to the rally in Guntersville in a couple of weeks. If anyone happens to be up for a ride in the Cullman area, contact me.

Last edited:
First congrats you’ll love the Connie.

My wife and I 2-up the C-14 99% of its ride time. Suggest either a Penske rear shock or stiffer spring on stock shock.

Valves if never done will be tight - most likely. Mine at 30K 15/16 were below spec, seems pretty common.

Of course when you are in there change the air filter, flush the coolant & all fluids for that matter.

Kipass no worry.

TPMS - it’s a good safety item to have, would recommend restoring to active. I frequently reference and also a good indicator of tire temp - checks and balances.

After Ivan’s flash does run cooler. Stock system would indicate 4 bars on the dash if stuck in traffic for extended periods, now never passes three. I would recommend (I can’t provide an engineering justification, just seems practical) but take notice: no difference going down the road as temp doesn’t get high enough to engage fans with all the air moving and her large radiator.

I think you’ll enjoy - wish we were closer - always looking for enthusiasts to ride with.

Welcome! I had my valves adjusted at 19,000 miles, several tight of both types. It’s never been determined if riding hard or easy makes them tighten I think, or if it’s factory build inconsistency. But you ought to get them done. Then at this point, they should be good for a long time.

By all means, come to Guntersville and meet folks. I’m your SE area director and your Alabama Assistant AD is David Hamil.
Hope to see you!
Ron

Thanks guys. I think I am going do it all at 36k. The last owner changed all the control fluids regularly(clutch,brake etc), but not fork oil.
I am not sure about coolant, but I figure that is mandatory as I will have to pull the radiator to get to the head. I was wondering about water pump,
hoses, etc that may be common failures.

Don't forget the rear hub oil. Most of us change it when the oil is changed. Not a difficult job unless the side plug is too tight. See you in Guntersville!

Did you get two fobs with the bike? If you only have one get a second one programmed.
I have a C10 but that year C14 the batteries are replaceable for the TPMS with a little work, there are people on this forum that can install new batteries or instruct you how to. Next scheduled tire change or there is a way to pinch the tire off the bead in the area of the valve and remove and replace with the fresh battery.

Bought a 2009 Concours today with 33k on the clock(thanks Chris!)
I am in central Alabama(Vinemont) and a very experienced rider. I have always been a Honda guy(mr50,xl125,xr350,xr600,cr125,cr250,cr500,hawk400,cbr600f3,vfr750,cbr929,crf230f,crf450x,cbr1000rr,st1300), but now I own two Kawi's(2011 N1K and 2009 C-14).
I bought the N1k because I wanted more sporty than ST performance. I bought the Connie because I want more 2 up comfort than the N1k without sacrificing too much 2 up performance.
I don't believe the forks or valves have ever been serviced on this bike. I plan to do the valve maintenance, change fork fluid, wheel bearing service, etc. over the next month or so. Anyone had tight valves at this mileage? Anything else I should do while it is down that far besides cam sensor o-ring?
I am a little scared(paranoid?) about the Kipass system failures. The TPMS batteries are dead in my new to me bike, and I intend to leave them so unless someone convinces me otherwise.
I am planning to get an Ivan's flash, as my N1k has. Can anyone comment on if the bike runs cooler with the Ivan's flash?
I may get to the rally in Guntersville in a couple of weeks. If anyone happens to be up for a ride in the Cullman area, contact me.
Awesome and congrats on the new-to-you C14! I'm just north of you in a community (Tanner) just south of Athens, AL (Hwy 31 from Vinemont through Falkville, Hartselle, Decatur, then Tanner. We'll have to hook up on some rides sometime as I'm all over north AL and southern TN ... and beyond too at times. Hope you can make the Rally!

I got two fobs with keys, and a spare key(for bags,seat).
The rally being on weekdays rather than a weekend may mess me up.
I will get in touch Road Runner once I get a bit more seat time on it.