• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Considering a Concours14

KiowaEagle

Geezer but not on a wheezer
Hi! I'm in SE Penna and joined this forum because I'm considering buying a new Concours. I've read through some older "Thinking of buying" threads but I thought I'd get some more timely thoughts on the matter. I currently have 3 Honda's, a 2014 CB1100, a 2004 VTX1300S and a 2006 Goldwing. One would have to go if I get a C14 but I'll make that decision when I have to. It will be down to the VTX or the Wing though. I haven't test ridden a C14 yet but I have a feeling I'm going to love it. I'm 6 ft with a 34" inseam and I feel cramped on most bikes. The Kawasaki's seem to be built for taller folks and I know the quality, my favorite bike of all time was my '81 KZ750four. I've had the wing for a year now and although I do like it I've never really gotten comfortable at slow speeds. It is a touring beast though and does handle well for it's size. The VTX is my intermediate bike and although I'm not a "cruiser" type I enjoy it much more than I ever thought I would. The CB is my fun bike. Smaller and naked it's no speed demon but it's fun to ride and being a retro get's all the stares and people asking questions.

So I thought I'd ask for some pros and cons about the Concours, what upgrades would be considered essential and also what I should expect to pay. A nearby dealer has a leftover '20 that they gave me a price of 14,500 before taxes & tags. It was just the opening salvo but how far would you think I would be able to get them down to?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I'm looking forward to hanging around here for some time to come.

I've had my 2012 (bought new in 2018) Connie for just over 15,000 miles now and still love it. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and after the addition of 1 5/8" bar risers the bike fits me fine. I added TechSpec tank protectors, canyon cages with highway pegs, Airflow seat cover, and last but certainly not least, a flash from Shoodaben Engineering. (not starting a flash war, Steve's is the only one I've ridden, and I love it)
The linked brakes aren't my favorite and the KIPASS system in my opinion is a solution in search of a problem, but overall I don't think you could go wrong. I would ride the bike stock for a bit, then let your personal preferences drive your quest for making it fit you perfectly.
The only thing I wouldn't wait on is a flash. Drive it maybe 1,000 miles, then get a flash so you can appreciate the improvement.

Love my '13! Got it in '15 (new) and have over 80K miles on it. To me, it's the best all-around bike I've owned. I've had a couple of Harleys, a couple of Gold Wings and numerous other cruisers (Honda, Yamahas, Kawasakis).

Bags on, it's a great touring bike, but if I'm feeling rather sporty, then the bags come off and I roll the throttle on my ECU-flashed C14. Miles of smiles !!!

In '15, I paid $10.5K for my new one. Granted that is 6 yrs ago, I still think you can nab it for less than $14.5K

I've got a 2014 that I'm on my 3rd season on.
The only drawback for me is that its top heavy and easy to drop, I've dropped mine 4X now.
Fairly tricky for me to move around in the garage.
Once you over about 8mph though you don't notice it.
Try not to use the brakes at very low speeds in any turn, it'll want to topple.
Love mine though! Its super comfortable easy to ride fast or slow and it sounds great.
I've got bar backs custom RDL seat larger windscreen, Steve's ECU Flash Grip Puppies good tires.
Check and adjust your suspension SAG- its easy to do
Try not to get too many tickets, mine wants to immediately go to 85 with zero effort.
Ride safe in 2021
Nick

Last edited:
I've got a 2014 that I'm on my 3rd season on.
The only drawback for me is that its top heavy and easy to drop, I've dropped mine 4X now.
Fairly tricky for me to move around in the garage.
Once you over about 8mph though you don't notice it.
Try not to use the brakes at very low speeds in any turn, it'll want to topple.
Love mine though! Its super comfortable easy to ride fast or slow and it sounds great.
I've got bar backs custom RDL seat larger windscreen, Steve's ECU Flash Grip Puppies good tires.
Check and adjust your suspension SAG- its easy to do
Try not to get too many tickets, mine wants to immediately go to 85 with zero effort.
Ride safe in 2021
Nick
Yep, it's easy to drop at low, parking lot speed. Got to stay off that "front" brake ... speaking to yours truly here as well :)

Hi! I'm in SE Penna
Alan I sent you a PM, I am also in SE PA.

Let me know if you’d like to connect.

Can’t go wrong with the C-14 unless you want an electronic suspension and some other electronic goodies without having to install e.g. cruise… then you would want to look at some other almost but not quite as good bikes…

I’m 6’4” with a 35” inseam and have a 2014 C-14 and a 2008 Goldwing. I like them both for different reasons.

The Wing feels a little cramped but I can spread on the highway pegs on the highway and my wife lives it.

I added 2” risers from Murphs Kits, lowering peg brackets from AST for me and floor boards on the rest for the passenger for the C-14. A Baldwin seat, tech spec pads, a top box, and Steve’s MRP flash round it off. It’s fast and comfortable but my wife prefers the Wing (of course).😉 It’s easier on my knees, but I’d like highway pegs. Nothing is perfect.

I’m partial to whichever one I am on (at the moment), but the Wing is my long distance bike and the C-14 goes in the toy hauler for mega travel trips or when I just feel like “ripping around.” But, I’ve done hundreds of miles on it in a day, too.

Great bikes, just kinda different.

Pretty much agree with the above. I bought a 09 in Dec 08. Trailered it over the Cascades during a snow storm of course.

If I were to buy a C14 today, it would be a 15 or newer. That said, the 09 has turned out to be a reliable machine. I had two warranty issues. 1 was a battery. I dropped off the old one and the dealer gave me a new one. Lesson learned... put a battery tender on at least every two weeks and let it recharge the battery. Doesn't take too long for the tender light to turn green.

2nd, was a final drive leak which I discovered the day before I was to leave for the national rally in Idaho Falls, ID. I borrowed a Harley for the trip but that is a whole nother story.

I contacted the dealer there and for some reason didn't want to work on a leaking final drive. I had it repaired under the extended warranty without issue at a more local dealer. And that is it. Only thing needed is gas and a oil change once in awhile.

If you get a chance to test ride a C14, you will find it goes out effort. LOTS of power. The things are fast without a flash. If out on the road and life is good, the bike is running great, you had better look at the speedo. Why? you are probably over any national speed limit by a lot.

Good luck, Tim

flashing and aftermarket header/muffler for sure.( read aftermarket header/black widow exhaust)
radar detector 😉
welcome by the way. i'm running a 08

Attachments

• 100033300832_280762_2.jpg
    100033300832_280762_2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 170
I owned one of the first Aspencades ever built - it was an amazing machine for it's day and I would still be happy with it if I owned it today. It had a personality all it's own that is pure Goldwing. If I wasn't making a military move overseas back in 83, I may still own it. But that was then, and it definitely was not a C-14 in too many ways to count.

I would be saying goodbye to the cruiser if it was me, but I admit I have a cruiser bias. The only one built I would even consider owning was Honda's V65 Magna because it was quick, very quick. The rest are a little too plodding for my taste, and I will not even get into HD's. They have never been good to me as a former owner (3x) or as and instructor - so we tend to avoid each other.

As far as farkles are concerned, the prior owner of my bike is an awesome job with that so I will share what has worked for me. Most will say, exhaust, flash, and so on and I will just skip those. Mine has them, but I am sure a new C-14 is competent without them - but to each his own. When you own a hyperspeed machine like a Connie, 5 to 10% more performance and debatable rideability improvement is not that big a deal IMHO because Kawasaki does not continue to succeed by producing junk. Flashes and new exhausts are great, but they also come with risks - like the states and feds cracking down as of late on mods of this type. So let's get back to farkles - first, find some Canyon Cages (CC) - protecting the sides of the bike is important and they are some of the best made. Unfortunately the company that made them no longer exists so you will need to search for a set. There are alternatives that are good, but the CC is the hands down best of the lot according to many here. Next, protect the headlight lenses with covers. They are cheap protection, because the headlights are NOT cheap to replace. Snakeskin covers for the tank protect the finish and offer extra rider grip when down in the turns. There are a ton of seat replacement option and that is one you need to sort out on your own. My aftermarket dark tinted short windshield was taken out by a large bird a couple weeks back and the clear VStream replacement was a vast improvement. I added two inches higher and one inch back with some handlebar wedges. I'll be 60 next month, so my back and arms really approve of that change. Cruise control and what type is a personal call just like suspension mods.

Best advice is, get her, ride her, and then you decide. Protection should come first and the rest should come from you - what do YOU like. The rest is just a lot of fan favorites and other bluster. Oh, and do your best to avoid a tire discussion - there are some rabid brand followers here. Great folks to be sure, with very strong opinions - just like me with HD bikes - but I admit my bias right out of the gate.....

Yep, it's easy to drop at low, parking lot speed. Got to stay off that "front" brake ... speaking to yours truly here as well :)
Not my experience. I routinely creep along in slow and go situations and find it quite easy to balance without putting a foot down even at just 1-2 mph.

If you decide to get a C14......one way to see different farkles in person is to attend a COG event. People are willing to help and tell you about what they did and where to get them. Plus you get to hang out with like thinking people and might even make a few life long friends. One thing you'll find with Coggers is they like to help. The forum is nice and handy but doesn't reflect being with the Coggers face to face. No ego's cause everyone rides the same thing but no ones cares about with what one shows up on.

The "flash" does smooth out the way the C14 shifts. My 47 YO 900 shifted better and smoother until the flash. Now the C14 is the better and the smoothest.

I bought a used trunk from a member as my first farkle. The flash was my 2nd real farkle. Then added a Black Widow can and a Kawasaki touring seat. I'm looking at bar risers and touring pegs.

Not my experience. I routinely creep along in slow and go situations and find it quite easy to balance without putting a foot down even at just 1-2 mph.
Me too, but not with use of the "front brake." I stay in the friction zone, and if I need to slow more ... I apply some of the back brake. Not stating something you/we don't already know.

I had a 05 Wing and a 03 VTX1300. I wouldn't keep either of them over the C14. I got bored with the VTX after I bought the C14. To me the Wing and C14 are too similar to have both. Other than the very comfortable seat on the Wing I don't think it did anything better than the C14.

I do still have a Bandit and a KLX. Both are fun but the C14 is the one I ride to work almost every day.

I had a 05 Wing and a 03 VTX1300. I wouldn't keep either of them over the C14. I got bored with the VTX after I bought the C14. To me the Wing and C14 are too similar to have both. Other than the very comfortable seat on the Wing I don't think it did anything better than the C14.

I do still have a Bandit and a KLX. Both are fun but the C14 is the one I ride to work almost every day.

I hear you and agree somewhat. I don't recall saying it was "better," I said I may still own it if a military move did not force me to find a new owner. I recall the day I dropped her off at the new owner's house. I went with an old girl friend that I was also saying goodbye to, and I still have the picture - I loved the bike and kept it all these year for it, not her. I loved the Aspencade for very different reasons than my C-14. It had a personality like no other, it was new, and was substantially different from any other bike I had ever owned in that era (early 80's). I still love that rider adjustable air suspension it had with the built-in air compressor! Pump her up, drop her down, or simply soften the ride WHILE RIDING. And for a big bike she was very well behaved. I demonstrated on the range with her during many MSF Experienced Riders courses without any difficulty - easy peasy. My riding suits and helmets were prewired by Honda for the custom intercom and the modular music system. The first 100 came with the matching two tone gear custom fit for the new owners. It was a very different owner experience to be sure.

But a Connie is a completely different animal and I love mine for many different reasons. No, it is not as comfortable to sit on or ride. But my C-14 has an outstanding ride for a Sport Touring machine and the performance is out of this world. I love her for a completely different set of reasons and the C-14 can do things the Aspencade as an 1100 could only dream about - in it's wildest dream to be sure. And that is the difference. I would not trade my C-14 for that Aspencade today, but I loved her then and probably would still find a home for her if I could get her back. Much like I would love to have another 69 El Camino 396 SS in my garage, but that was then and not now. Sure a 2022 Corvette is bada$$, but it isn't a 69 SS.

Hi! I'm in SE Penna and joined this forum because I'm considering buying a new Concours. I've read through some older "Thinking of buying" threads but I thought I'd get some more timely thoughts on the matter. I currently have 3 Honda's, a 2014 CB1100, a 2004 VTX1300S and a 2006 Goldwing. One would have to go if I get a C14 but I'll make that decision when I have to. It will be down to the VTX or the Wing though. I haven't test ridden a C14 yet but I have a feeling I'm going to love it. I'm 6 ft with a 34" inseam and I feel cramped on most bikes. The Kawasaki's seem to be built for taller folks and I know the quality, my favorite bike of all time was my '81 KZ750four. I've had the wing for a year now and although I do like it I've never really gotten comfortable at slow speeds. It is a touring beast though and does handle well for it's size. The VTX is my intermediate bike and although I'm not a "cruiser" type I enjoy it much more than I ever thought I would. The CB is my fun bike. Smaller and naked it's no speed demon but it's fun to ride and being a retro get's all the stares and people asking questions.

So I thought I'd ask for some pros and cons about the Concours, what upgrades would be considered essential and also what I should expect to pay. A nearby dealer has a leftover '20 that they gave me a price of 14,500 before taxes & tags. It was just the opening salvo but how far would you think I would be able to get them down to?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I'm looking forward to hanging around here for some time to come.
Alan I sent you a PM, I am also in SE PA.

Let me know if you’d like to connect.

Can’t go wrong with the C-14 unless you want an electronic suspension and some other electronic goodies without having to install e.g. cruise… then you would want to look at some other almost but not quite as good bikes…
Alan the ride last weekend was a blast, so…. What did you decide? Getting a C-14, if so what year? We’re waiting like grandparents to see if we have a new one to play with, to corrupt… :ROFLMAO:

Well wait no longer. Picked her up today, a 2020 with a whopping 10 miles on her. I got to know her a bit on the 3 hour ride home and enjoyed it immensely. I figured out my 1st upgrade too - Grip Puppies.

Attachments

• 06A71A2F-87B4-4B8E-85A0-6A26BE50267A.jpeg
    06A71A2F-87B4-4B8E-85A0-6A26BE50267A.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 188DE1A0-551A-4C74-BEEF-4E0432645D10.jpeg
    188DE1A0-551A-4C74-BEEF-4E0432645D10.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 23420BED-F59E-4723-A6FE-FDC5F9E099D9.jpeg
    23420BED-F59E-4723-A6FE-FDC5F9E099D9.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 190
ok. got it. i use grab on grips. been using em for years.

Attachments

• C4FE9F68-4D2B-4860-A2D3-38556BF1FC96.jpeg
    C4FE9F68-4D2B-4860-A2D3-38556BF1FC96.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 148
Alan the ride last weekend was a blast, so…. What did you decide? Getting a C-14, if so what year? We’re waiting like grandparents to see if we have a new one to play with, to corrupt… :ROFLMAO:
congrats:giggle:
I'll be at the dragon and surrounding area waiting for ya. look for the black dragons
Grip Pups are nice...have them on my ZX-10 also. Now flash that bish!

Congrats on the new baby Alan!

NOTE: Be "VERY" aware that there are people out there that will try to corrupt you..
{Not mentioning any names)

Ride safe, Ted

Congrats on the new baby Alan!

NOTE: Be "VERY" aware that there are people out there that will try to corrupt you..
{Not mentioning any names)

Ride safe, Ted
Ha! No worries connie_rider, I'm just going to take it all in and then make her my own.

they are plump at the dragon but they can corner…
bw collector was getting close😉

Attachments

• 729B186E-6B85-4D15-B734-BF63BF572D6A.jpeg
    729B186E-6B85-4D15-B734-BF63BF572D6A.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 167
Have to admit, I had to look up Motard as I thought it was a particular brand of motorcycle.
Might be an option.
I've been considering a 650 for smaller/lighter, and not as powerful as a 1000/1400.
I rode my nephews Suzukli 650 ??? and had a blast! But didn't like the 2 cylinders. Been looking for a 4 cylinder and came across the Honda CBR 650. Wahoo, 4 cylinders, and I really enjoyed the 600 CB I rode overseas.. Sooo, thinkin' about it.
{But, (the boss sed) I'd have to sell my beloved C-10 to get it}..

Ride safe, Ted

Just my own 2 cents lol. I had the same VTX. Loved it too. Have an 05 GoldWing. I would keep the GoldWing. Definitely keep the 1100. I let my 1300 go to a good cause.

a lot of peeps don’t know or confuse it with supermoto. here is a good motard definition

Attachments

• 80A65DF7-7A86-4EB9-8D8B-F5327188BE9F.jpeg
    80A65DF7-7A86-4EB9-8D8B-F5327188BE9F.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 138
some branched off and started a ”supermotard” classification. aka ducati’s hypermotard. this confuses it even more😵‍💫

Just my own 2 cents lol. I had the same VTX. Loved it too. Have an 05 GoldWing. I would keep the GoldWing. Definitely keep the 1100. I let my 1300 go to a good cause.
That's my thinking as well. I'm going to give it a bit to decide about the goldwing, the c14 may well serve my cruising needs. I'm already surprised how much these side cases hold. And yes the CB is my baby, the day I give her up is the day I stop riding.

now back to the juicy stuff.
alan, what mods are you planning for your superclean concours?
Other than the grip puppies that are already on I'm just going to take it all in for a bit. Plus I need to build up the war chest.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I know I'm really going to love this bike.

Ok, ok,,, apologies for stealing the discussion.... (Maverick's fault)

Just so ya'll have something to laugh at,,
I didn't like the diameter/water absorption of the Grip Puppies, and went to these (black) over my OEM Grips.
Their smaller OD, No water absorption, heated grips work fine under them, and their "cheap"... :rolleyes:

Yea, yea,, I know their from China, but they worked well for me.

Ride safe, Ted

Update.....I have over 300 miles on her now and I love this bike. But today I love her even more. I received my first major upgrade, a Kawasaki touring seat. Now I know a lot of you were saying a flash should be the first thing I should invest in but I'm a 64 year old guy, to me comfort is paramount and from the short ride I took this evening I can say with certainty that the touring seat makes all of the difference for me. I'm 6 ft with a 34" inseam so that little bit of extra height really helps my knees and hips. Plus the seat puts me a little more forward so i'm not leaning down and reaching for the handlebars as much. I have also ordered 2" risers from AST but I think I'm going to just go with the seat for a while, it made that much of a difference.

Oh and by the way you may have noticed the name change. This is how I'm known on other forums so I've changed it now that I'm a full member here.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Ok, since getting this bike I've added the Kawasaki Touring Seat, Kawasaki GPS Mount, AST 2" Risers and the AST Riders Footpeg Lowering Kit. All of which made this bike a much more comfortable touring bike. I did 150 miles yesterday and didn't want to get off, it was such a joy to ride.

But the best upgrade, and I can't say you guys didn't try to tell me, was Shoodaben's Mountain Runner Premium flash. What a difference! It's like I was riding two different bikes. To those on the fence I highly recommend.

So all I have left on my wish list is a slip on muffler but that'll have to wait until next year, the cupboard is empty.

Reactions: Bud