• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Considering another Iron Butt

The Doctor

Years ago my SRC and I did an Iron Butt from Vegas to Portland. Did that one on a Ninja 250. Recently been considering doing something similar. Not necessarily for the sake of the Iron Butt, but I have family that moved up to Portland a few years ago and I haven't been to visit them yet. Figured it might be fun to have a "Surprise I'm here, where's Christmas dinner," thing.

When I was up there on the 250 it was during summer, and it was SUPER gorgeous. What's the weather like in the Pacific Northwest this time of year? Would a bike trip be ill-advised? I have heated gear, so temps aren't a huge concern. I'm more worried about ice or... that... what's that white stuff called again? You know, the fluffy stuff. Here in the Southwest we sometimes tell myths and legends about it...

It's a little tricky this time of the year. Going over the Siskiyou pass is cold and probably icy or snowy. If you make it there ok, there is no guarantee you will have a window to get home. But good luck!

Other than the pass as called out, its the cold wet stuff (rain!) that you have to deal with. If you're comfortable riding in it and your jackets and layers can seal out water and your heated gear is fine, then should be a non-issue around the holidays. Best to check the forecast along the way for your return trip though just in case.