• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Considering rear shock upgrade .

Cra-z1000

Since we can't get the progressive rear shock for the c10 anymore I'm curious about the zzr1200 or c14 shock upgrade . Not sure I want the extra height of the c14 shock and adding a lowering link but there are plenty of cheap ones on ebay . I've done the oil change on the stocker and played with pressure and damper settings . Is it worth the effort to try this ?

Yes it's worth it. If you have the legs for it, you can run a C14 shock without lowering. My son's 87 is set up that way. Used progressives show up every now and then. I bought one on ebay in 19 or 20. I don't know that I can tell the difference between the two. Both are an improvement. Try a C14 shock without lowering and see what you think. If you like it, you can lower it after test riding. HTH

All three of the shocks you are considering will improve the ride of the C-10.

For the average weight rider all are good. If you are on the heavy side the ZZR shock will probably be too soft. The Progressive is better, but for me and my weight, it was still a bit too soft for me. Neither of these shocks raise the bike to any significance.

The C-14 shock solved the issue for me, but it does raise the bike about and inch to inch and a half. You can still use the side and center stand, but in my case the bike was unstable and I was concerned about it tipping over or coming off center stand, so I lowered mine.

i put a WORKS performance shock on mine. not sure if they're in business anymore. anyway, the aftermarket shock and spring was setup up for my weight and riding. Handling was indeed improved. I think aftermarket shocks are still being made for the C10, do a web search.
-tdbru

I have a C-14 shock and a Norm Soucy Lowering rocker on mine.
With the 2, bike is at stock height.
Some have used a Soupy Lowering Link, with some slight modifications to the link to clear the spring.

If your approx 200 (or less) lbs, I think the ZZR shock is a direct bolt in (and crank in the available pre load).
If heavier, you'll need to upgrade the spring.

Found 1 at a good price. Contact seller before buying..
03 KAWASAKI ZZR1200 ZX1200 ZZR 1200 REAR BACK SHOCK SPRING ABSORBER SUSPENSION | eBay

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I have a C-14 shock and a Norm Soucy Lowering rocker on mine.
With the 2, bike is at stock height.
Some have used a Soupy Lowering Link, with some slight modifications to the link to clear the spring.

If your approx 200 (or less) lbs, I think the ZZR shock is a direct bolt in (and crank in the available pre load).
If heavier, you'll need to upgrade the spring.

Found 1 at a good price. Contact seller before buying..
03 KAWASAKI ZZR1200 ZX1200 ZZR 1200 REAR BACK SHOCK SPRING ABSORBER SUSPENSION | eBay

Ride safe, Ted
210 and climbing . I keep saying I'm going to get back to my normal weight of 185 or so but probably not going to happen soon 😂.

You just described my weight and diet plans exactly. :eek:
Might be worth giving the ZZR a try.
If too soft, you could always get a spring, or sell it if you opt to go to another shock.

Ride safe, Ted

I have the ZZR shock.. I am 240lbs. it did raise the bike up a little but the shocks spring is a bit too soft. I run full preload on it to bring the bike back up to the correct chassis geometry when I am on it. Two up .. the spring is way too soft.

C-10 #4 came with the '94-'95 ZX9 Rear Shock replacement which is 3/4 inch longer than the C-10 OEM Air Shock. Unfortunately it started leaking and could not be rebuilt. I didn't need all the adjust ability of the original ZX9 so I ended up buying a YSS Suspension ZX9 replacement without all the adjustments. It wasn't cheap at $600.00 and took a few months to get over this past Winter but I'm happy with the result.

1687742329885.png
1687742429386.png

Reactions: Bud
Here’s my preparation for the sidecar, everything was done with recovery

C-10 #4 came with the '94-'95 ZX9 Rear Shock replacement which is 3/4 inch longer than the C-10 OEM Air Shock. Unfortunately it started leaking and could not be rebuilt. I didn't need all the adjust ability of the original ZX9 so I ended up buying a YSS Suspension ZX9 replacement without all the adjustments. It wasn't cheap at $600.00 and took a few months to get over this past Winter but I'm happy with the result.

View attachment 36272
View attachment 36273
How did you make the top work. The oem shock has a long spacer that’s attached to a rubber bushing?

Yes it's worth it. If you have the legs for it, you can run a C14 shock without lowering. My son's 87 is set up that way. Used progressives show up every now and then. I bought one on ebay in 19 or 20. I don't know that I can tell the difference between the two. Both are an improvement. Try a C14 shock without lowering and see what you think. If you like it, you can lower it after test riding. HTH
I’ve got a progressive id like to get rid of. I’m too light for the spring rate and want to try a yss zx9 shock or try the c14 shock I’ve had sitting around. $300 takes the progressive.

I’ve got a progressive id like to get rid of. I’m too light for the spring rate and want to try a yss zx9 shock or try the c14 shock I’ve had sitting around. $300 takes the progressive.
Was the Progressive (new) when you got it? Also, curious how much you weigh since I might be interested.

TIA

How did you make the top work. The oem shock has a long spacer that’s attached to a rubber bushing?
EPM cut the new shocks center bushing so it fits the upper mounting bracket. I probably should have used a shorter replacement bolt for the install but I didn't because the bolt has a locknut and there is no need to provide clamping force to the bracket.

A lot of people are saying the Zzr shock has a spring that’s too soft but that might work good for me since I’m barely 140 lbs. I have a nice c14 shock I’d be willing to trade for a zzr