• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cooling vest quest

KretonsLC

My 3-4 year old cheapo Ergodyne vest has lost its cooling ability, so I'm looking for something that can handle the triple digits and high humidity of central Texas.  This caught my eye - https://www.motostorm.it/en/clothing/underwear/alpinestars-cooling-vest-grey.html#product-tabs.

What I like about it is no soaking it and wringing out the excess, and it sounds like its cooling ability lasts much longer than the typical 30 minutes or so of relief the cheapo vests provide.  Ideally I'd like something that I only need to recharge each time I gas up when on a long ride or tour.

Anyone have any experience with this vest, or can recommend one that keeps them cool in extreme heat?

Edit:  Forgot there's a riding gear forum, so respectfully request a moderator move this thread there - thanks.

Check into Glacier Tek. I used one of their phase-change vests during Florida summers. Lasts about 2 hours and can be recharged in ice water in about 20 minutes. Works much better than an evaporative vest in humid conditions.

Humid conditions across the Gulf Coast really effect efficiency. I bought a Harley branded unit that requires a soaking. It is better than without it under my mesh jacket still though. Lasts 3-4 hrs in Louisiana. Anyone making a recommendation of "tech" they are happy with in high humidity should be a good recommendation.  I often fantasize about and single wheel a/c trailer as a pull behind. The compressor driven by the trailers's wheel and hose attached to my jacket/helmet. Ha! As if!

Eddie and Lee - thanks for your responses.  I forgot to mention that I'm looking for an evaporative type of vest that can be quickly recharged with water while on a tour or long ride.

Thought they were all EVs in some fashion. My vest is a modern quilted wicking fabric. Looks like a moving blanket. Passive in how it works. Just wet it. Wring it and go. Sometimes I do not wring it much. Damn thing is Harley black in color! Go figure. It was bought on the road after stopping at 3-4 bike shops that said "never heard of that". On that day was glad to find one period.

Yours that you are re-placing sounded good:

"LONG-LASTING EFFECT – Up to 3 days of cooling power to help maintain a healthy body temperature
EASY ACTIVATION – Fill vest with 13oz - 20oz / 400ml - 600ml of water."

I do good to get a half day without re-wetting. How did you like it?
3 days on a bike?

My experience in the southeast heat and humidity is that an evaporative vest acts like a heavy, wet shirt and feels the same at the end of the ride as it does at the start. Just my experience...
Good luck in your quest!

I have gotten in the habit of carrying an extra bottle of water in my tank bag, and simply dump it down my neck front and back when i overheat.

Doesn't last too long, as evaporation takes over -- but it SURE feels nice!

gr

I have one of these vests, bought it from here. Worked well past few years in eastern Oregon desert dry areas. I carry 2 bottles, one with electrolytes to drink and the second just water for the vest to keep cool. When we stop I refill both...

https://store.soundrider.com/collections/ride-cool

Depending on your jacket space, I'd recommend getting a cooling vest with sleeves. Didn't realize that extra cooling on the arms makes it that much more comfortable. A vest is just a start and having something around the neck to cool will help as well.

I've used the vest sold by Cycle Gear in 105F heat for hours on end.  The secret is to limit the air flow.  In temps above 93F, you don't want the air flowing directly through.

I met a couple going through Wyoming a couple years ago.  Temp was up there around 105F.  No shade at the rest stop, but they offered me the little they had.  She told me their cooling vests only lasted about 30 minutes.  Mine lasted me about 3 hours that day.  I wear a mesh jacket (Olympia Dakar), but have an air bag vest on over it.  That allowed some air to flow through, but not so much it dried the vest out quickly.  I also used a long sleeved wicking t-shirt from Cycle Gear to keep the air from hitting he skin directly.  It helped.

I soak my vest overnight in the motel sink, then put it in a watertight plastic bag till about lunch.  It's usually good then to get me most of the way to the next stop.  If I needed longer periods of use, I'd just buy two.

Last thought.  If I buy another, I'll get one with a collar.  I like the idea of the one with sleeves on Sound Rider.  The arms get hot too.

Chris

Gsled said:

That does sound nice.  Hopefully it'll make it over here.

I just ordered the Alpinestars cooling vest.  Was hesitant because there's virtually no reviews of it in English and only MotoStorm in Italy carries them, but will give it a try.  Sounds like it should cool longer than evaporative vests you soak and be more practical for tours and day rides that vests requiring cooling packs or ice.

I think the ETA is Aug. 16th, so it'll probably be several weeks before I can report back on it.  One thing's for sure - it'll still be plenty hot for many weeks after it arrives in good ol' Austin, as I'll likely need it well into October.

I prefer a cooling towel. I have the Cycle gear vest and an Alpinestars vest (although it is different than the one in the above link)
The problem with any evaporative cooling device is it does not last very long and the additional  problem with the vests is that once it dries out it makes you more miserable than without it. The towel works the same but does not trap heat nearly as much once it has dried. Also easier to pack and to soak.

I have a quilted vest that just got some use in AZ and NM near the Devil's Highway. I wear a First gear Kili and only open some of the venting. Nice and cool and lasted more than a couple hours.

I remember when I first got it I wetted in down and wore a mesh jacket over it. It was 107 degrees in UT but the dew point was in the teens. WOW, was that cold, for a little while.

Simple solution if you're in low humidity. Take an ironing spray bottle affix it to a tank bag or handle bars, aimed at your chest. Two or three pumps will soak a tee shirt under a mesh jacket. The bottle will last a tank of gas easily. The goal is to keep your core temp down, heat will be apparent on your arms and legs but with your core temp controlled and cooled it will be bearable. This has served me well in temps up to 124 f. It's not comfortable but survivable in southwest US. 90 degree days are a luxury out here.

I have had very good luck with L.D. Comfort long sleeve turtleneck and an extra bottle of water. Don't over vent and it last a good  couple hours or more. When the shirt drys out dump a little water down the front and back of your neck and down each sleeve and you're good for another 2 to 3 hours. The nice thing about the L.D. Comfort is it is good winter and summer as well as those trips over mountain passes where you see temps from 30" to 90" all in the same day.

After doing a search for cycle chiller, I came up with another cooler like the $1000 one on ebay.  They claim to be a supplier of equipment for the military. 
Price is MUCH more reasonable at $279.  I'd be interested in hearing from N/a about his experiences with what he has.

http://www.mycoolingstore.com/compcooler-motorcycle-rider-solo-cooling-system.html#undefined2
compcooler-motorcycle-rider-solo-cooling-system-2.png

I’ve got a veskimo 9qt but haven’t used it yet. I’ve also got the Compcooler backpack unit. I used it at work when it was 100+ , which was 125+ in the cab, and it worked great. It would last about 4 hours. The only drawback was that you have to freeze the bladder, so when it was done, there was no recharging it.

Update - So after 3 weeks and 3 unanswered emails to Motostorm regarding the status of my Alpinestars cooling vest, I finally found a number to call them.  Was told Alpinestars is on "summer break" (I didn't know it was a company of school kids, did you? ;D), and that it'd be late Aug. or early Sept. before they'd ship it - and the rep's voice had a lot of conjecture in it.  So between Motostorm's poor customer service and Alpinestars laid back work ethic, I decided to cancel the order and try the Macna cooling vest instead.  Like the Alpinestars, you pour water into a reservoir which supposedly provides longer lasting relief than the standard evaporative-type vests.  Much cheaper than the Alpinestars and has some positive reviews so we'll see.  Should be here by Aug. 26, by which time we'll be in day 40-something of 100 degree days.

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/macna-dry-evo/137001087/p

Greg,

Don't blame Alpinestar for the month(!) off.    :eek:

It's a Europe thing. Most companies in a country shut down for a month so they can all go on vacation at the same time. The countries take time off in different months (generally) so everything over there is not down together. Not sure how that works for service industries like restaurants, grocery stores, medical, etc.

Worked for a US subsidiary of a German company. Absolutely no engineering or maintenance support for the month while they were off. Better plan ahead!    ::) :D

MtnRider said:
Greg,

Don't blame Alpinestar for the month(!) off.    :eek:

It's a Europe thing. Most companies in a country shut down for a month so they can all go on vacation at the same time. The countries take time off in different months (generally) so everything over there is not down together. Not sure how that works for service industries like restaurants, grocery stores, medical, etc.

Worked for a US subsidiary of a German company. Absolutely no engineering or maintenance support for the month while they were off. Better plan ahead!    ::) :D

The little jab at Alpinestars was mostly tongue-in-cheek.  I didn't really think they took the whole summer off.  My beef with Motostorm is legit though - no reason for their not responding to my emails after providing an erroneous date as to when I could expect the vest.

Lee said:
Humid conditions across the Gulf Coast really effect efficiency. I bought a Harley branded unit that requires a soaking. It is better than without it under my mesh jacket still though. Lasts 3-4 hrs in Louisiana. Anyone making a recommendation of "tech" they are happy with in high humidity should be a good recommendation.  I often fantasize about and single wheel a/c trailer as a pull behind. The compressor driven by the trailers's wheel and hose attached to my jacket/helmet. Ha! As if!

No need for a compressor. Something can be made from one of these?

https://smile.amazon.com/Northbear-Thermoelectric-Peltier-Refrigeration-Heatsink/dp/B07535M68N/ref=sr_1_24?crid=165BJAUSNZMNN&keywords=cooling+element&qid=1565986446&s=gateway&sprefix=cooling+elem%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-24

My solution must be self-contained and relatively cheap for daily use, i.e. no plugs, hoses, auxiliary unit, etc.  Just put it on and go.  Even if I were willing to go to the trouble of hooking everything up I'm way too absent minded to remember to de-couple everything when I get home, and would no doubt pull the bike over while dismounting, and probably electrocute myself in the process. :??:

But I am curious to see if the Mr. Wizards here develop their own techy solution.  Just promise not to use any fissionable material - I'm watching Chernobyl right now and don't want this thread to inspire anyone to take normal scientific curiosity in a direction that's detrimental to the planet.  :great:

Kreton'sLC said:
  Just promise not to use any fissionable material - I'm watching Chernobyl right now and don't want this thread to inspire anyone to take normal scientific curiosity in a direction that's detrimental to the planet.  :great:

You're talking about Ted, aren't you???      :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

So I ended up ordering a Macna dry cooling vest and have been using it for a few weeks now.  While I wouldn't say it makes a huge difference it does provide noticeable relief from the heat.  It's not likely to make you eager to ride in triple digits, but it will make it doable if you have to.  I no longer feel I have to end a summer weekend ride by noon.

The best thing is it cools you enough to help you keep your focus, and unlike wet vests it maintains an even cooling that will probably last all day, although I've yet to ride a full day with it.  So while it's level of cooling doesn't match the initial chill of an evaporative wet vest, it provides sustained cooling that's much better than wet vests I've used.  And for $107 (MotardInn) it's a pretty good deal compared to the the Alpinestars I had originally ordered.  It also fits very true to size and is comfortable.  The only downside is the filler opening is kinda small, so it takes a little practice to fill it without getting water on the back of it and on the floor.

So it's a good vest for those like myself who commute and occasionally ride for long periods in very hot weather.  Those who regularly tour in very hot weather would probably be better off going for one of the more techy and expensive solutions mentioned above.

Grant said:
I have had very good luck with L.D. Comfort long sleeve turtleneck and an extra bottle of water. Don't over vent and it last a good  couple hours or more. When the shirt drys out dump a little water down the front and back of your neck and down each sleeve and you're good for another 2 to 3 hours. The nice thing about the L.D. Comfort is it is good winter and summer as well as those trips over mountain passes where you see temps from 30" to 90" all in the same day.

Agree...if you use something like an Aerostich Darien with vents open over a completely soaked LD Comfort shirt you'll be shocked at the amount of cooling.  The LD Comfort gear holds a ton of water, takes a long time to dry out (under the appropriate gear) and is easy to clean on the road.