• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Copper Harbor Rendezvous Sept 10-12

2fast

Crotch Rocket
NC, (MN, WI, MI) - September 10-12: Rendezvous at Copper Harbor (2009) Last year was so good, we are gonna do it again! Have you ever wanted to ride up the thumb jutting into Lake Superior (or to do it again), now is the chance. Brian Snowberg is hosting a ride to Copper Harbor, MI that will highlight the areas rich history of copper mining, tour the lighthouse, old copper mine tours, waterfalls, ghost towns, historic outpost and ride the winding roads as they follow the natural topography of the rugged coast line. Click here for some video of the area http://rides.webshots.com/album/574160567hErvZN?vhost=rides If it gets over clicked, you may have to come back at a later time to see it. We will lodge at the Bella Vista Motel in Copper Harbor, Michigan. It's a nice looking motel with rooms and cottages for reasonable prices (approximately $65-$95 will get you a room or a cottage that will sleep at least 2). Some rooms have a lake view, some do not. They have a fire pit area available. We haven't asked them to hold any rooms for us, so if your interested, it's recommended that you line up your room and roomate(s) as soon as possible. Things are wide open now (July 23), but will probably fill up as we approach the date. Camping is also available at Fort Wilkins State Park, which has a restored military fort onsite. Camping may work out to be just as expensive as a room would be once you add in vehicle fees, etc., so do your research before booking your reservations. There is currently no group ride planned to go up there, so you are free to ride up alone or arrange other riders to go together. The entire area is interesting to ride, and there are some gravel roads for the more adventurous. Early arrivals may want to go up on Thursday, with the main event on Friday and Saturday, and heading home on Sunday. Its an easy day ride from the Twin Cities area. If you're planning on joining us, please register online at http://www.cog-online.org, and click on the calendar. I would like to get an idea of how many people are planning to participate. Also, if you want to dual sport it, there are some fun roads (using the term very loosly) to explore.

I'm interested in attending,now to sell it to the wife. The range of opportunities outside of riding might help in that category, although she is pretty amicable to riding. That may change somewhat after putting the miles on to get up there.

Thomas We are going to try to take the Lighthouse boat tour. We went to Calumet and toured the mining museum. It was a cool little town. The Scenery is marvelous just sitting and watching the lake is great. Joane rode her bike the whole way so it can't be to far :)

Christal is interested in coming with me on this trip. I'm working all of Labor Day weekend so I get to take time off without consuming vacation time. We're debating taking a half day on Thurs and going part way up or taking the whole day off and trekking the full distance. Was there someplace others had found that was a good overnight location? Anybody else planning on heading up Thursday that might want to coordinate the trip together? Once we get these basics figured out we'll be making a reservation at the hotel. The lighthouse boat tour looks like fun and we're hoping to canoe a bit around the bay. It should be an awesome weekend.

Hey Thomas, glad to hear you can make it. You should find plenty to do with minimal miles once you are up there. I am looking to split a room with someone, so let me know if anyone is interested! I have a Cottage reserved right now that will sleep three, but I can alter that.

^-^                2011 update

All the other info above should still be accurate, but the 2011 dates for this will be Sept. 9-11

All brands welcome......even dual sporters!

:welcome:

Reservations and registrations made... when are we going to Henry's???
Missed last year's rendezvous, not gonna miss this year.  Can't wait  :dance:

Not sure when to work in Henry's, but I'd like to hit it going up or back........back might be better.

I have a spare bed in the Isle Royal house, room 6 if anyone would like to split it.