• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CS1 repacking

Just Cliff

I guess the miles are getting to my CS1 slip on pipe, It's getting to be louder than I care for. Has anybody tried opening one up & repacking it? If so how did it work out?

I've done my Area P a couple times, its probably similar. I removed about 6 screws from the end cap, removed it, dug out the old packing with a hook bent on the end of a welding rod (coat hanger) Then used a 3/4 diameter dowel rod (broom stick) to pack in the new stuff. Its like tamping down dirt around a fence post. Now if yours is rolled around the center tube it's a different story but still doable and worthwhile.

I've done my Area P a couple times, its probably similar. I removed about 6 screws from the end cap, removed it, dug out the old packing with a hook bent on the end of a welding rod (coat hanger) Then used a 3/4 diameter dowel rod (broom stick) to pack in the new stuff. Its like tamping down dirt around a fence post. Now if yours is rolled around the center tube it's a different story but still doable and worthwhile.
@laker9142 Did you purchase packing from AreaP?

@Just Cliff do you have a source for the packing material?

Yes. 2lb bag for $35. Hard to believe it all fits, just start tamping down good and tight,, right away. I would think Kerry's bag of packing would work for any muffler. Although getting the old stuff out may be more involved if it's wrapped and not tamped.

I've done my Area P a couple times, its probably similar. Its like tamping down dirt around a fence post. Now if yours is rolled around the center tube it's a different story but still doable and worthwhile.
The CS1 is riveted , but that's not big deal. Guess I'll pull it apart one day & see if it's rolled or tamped, I expected rolled to be more common
@Just Cliff do you have a source for the packing material?
The packing is widely available, I have checked on that. Just depends on the type a CS1 has, tamped or rolled which is what I was mostly curious about.

Keep us advised cliff, i have a CS1 on my bike and love the sound. Only has about 25k miles on it.

I wanted to have everything I need on hand when I open this up, so I contacted Vance & Hines to ask what size the rivets were plus packing type. They were no help at all, they're reply was this pipe has been discontinued & parts are no longer available. I even asked twice, they probably use the use the same rivets in another pipe & they would certainly have record of the size regardless.

I'm betting it's rolled type packing so I ordered some, I drilled out one rivet to get the size & I came up with 3/16" x 1/4". So waiting on packing to arrive & I'll pick some stainless rivets, I have the correct size in aluminum but I think there to soft for this application.

I wanted to have everything I need on hand when I open this up, so I contacted Vance & Hines to ask what size the rivets were plus packing type. They were no help at all, they're reply was this pipe has been discontinued & parts are no longer available. I even asked twice, they probably use the use the same rivets in another pipe & they would certainly have record of the size regardless.

I'm betting it's rolled type packing so I ordered some, I drilled out one rivet to get the size & I came up with 3/16" x 1/4". So waiting on packing to arrive & I'll pick some stainless rivets, I have the correct size in aluminum but I think there to soft for this application.
Unfortunate when manufacturers don’t appreciate their customers enough to provide basic information to service / maintain their products.

Curious Cliff did they offer a chargeable service to repack? Or was this also not supported as it is discontinued?

Contrast this recent experience you had with experience I have with AreaP - I can’t get the guy to stop writing sometimes (not literally). Point being - AreaP is an example of how a business should be run. Never an unkind bad word of another provider with seemingly very similar products (full respect for BW / Delk.) his / their knowledge and material/ construction sharing is open, support practically unlimited. I guess that’s what happens when you have confidence in your product and quality - too bad, as in this case, all don’t behave the same.

Thanks for sharing Cliff - then one last question from me. What happens if the type of packing is different / it’s just a tone or volume change? Or is there more to the packing type?

Unfortunate when manufacturers don’t appreciate their customers enough to provide basic information to service / maintain their products.

Curious Cliff did they offer a chargeable service to repack? Or was this also not supported as it is discontinued?

Thanks for sharing Cliff - then one last question from me. What happens if the type of packing is different / it’s just a tone or volume change? Or is there more to the packing type?

I'm not bad mouthing them, but I did ask a very simple question that they could have easily answered. I told them I knew it was discontinued & that I simply wanted to know rivet size so I could repack my pipe. Only to again be told it's discontinued & no parts available. As for the packing if I open it up & it's not rolled packing I'll just order the correct stuff. The sheet of fiberglass packing from Moose racing was only $14 so it want be a big lose. I did not ask about a repacking service.

I know it's my imagination & not because the packing is burned out, but the bike seems to run better than it's ever run. It has just gotten to loud for my taste.

I'll take some pictures & note everything that's needed in case someone else needs to repack there's.

Got everything gathered up & repacked my pipe today. Haven't got out to ride it so I can't comment on the sound, can't tell anything by running it in an enclosed building. If it happens to still be to loud I'm pretty sure I can get another wrap of packing on it & have a do over. The new packing is loser & thinner than the original. Original packing was burnt out on one side for some reason, otherwise didn't look to terrible. I've put a little over 200K on this pipe & I bought it used so actual mileage is unknown. From what I've seen I wouldn't consider bothering with repacking unless one has well over 100K on it.

It takes 3/16" x 1/4" stainless rivets & I had 1 10" x 15" sheet of fiberglass packing from Moose racing. Pretty sure 2 could be wrapped tight enough to make fit. I drilled out rivets on the end cap 1st thinking the baffle would pull out, wrong. Drilled out rivets on the front end, then the front pulled out & baffle is part of this. The end cap does not even have to be removed.

Rewrapped the baffle & tied in place with some 18 gauge stainless wire I happened to have on hand (leftover tie wire from working on neon). Then procced to reassemble.

Not a hard process, just takes a little time.

Attachments

• 20211122_142901_resized.jpg
    20211122_142901_resized.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 108
  • 20211122_143235_resized.jpg
    20211122_143235_resized.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211122_144316_resized.jpg
    20211122_144316_resized.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211122_145041_resized.jpg
    20211122_145041_resized.jpg