• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Custom Seat Work

Bud

I ran into a new upholstery guy this morning. I've never been totally satisfied with any of the seats on my bikes. I seem to be hard to please, so I should be a good test subject. I'm thinking of having a stock C10 seat modded and taking it to the national for folks to see. The number one goal is comfort. I'd like to try to have it reshaped so that the seat is parallel to the ground like on a R1250RT so that there is no push toward the tank or handlebars. He mentioned gel padding, an assortment of coverings etc as options. What do you guys want in a seat and what are you willing to pay for a seat that makes you smile? I'm looking for quick answers so he has time to do the work before the national. Is there demand for a lowered seat? If so, what shape are you looking for? Eager to hear what folks want.

I'm like you and have spent hundreds looking for that elusive seat that does not cause me actual pain after about 5 hours, in fact, Seth Laam has my seat going on 14 months now.........long story. Not lowered for me, level, no push also, my problem is where my legs go over the sides, always thought it was my underwear seams, no, need rounder or less side towards front of seat, similar to my Russell Day long.

Thanks for the response David. Since I have a couple of the hard Corbin seats, I wonder if it would be better to experiment with one of those since it would need less work to get shape where we want it? Seems like some gel added to the firm base might be good? If he can make me happy on a C10 seat, I'll see what he can do with the Corbin on the C14.

I'm like you and have spent hundreds looking for that elusive seat that does not cause me actual pain after about 5 hours, in fact, Seth Laam has my seat going on 14 months now.........long story. Not lowered for me, level, no push also, my problem is where my legs go over the sides, always thought it was my underwear seams, no, need rounder or less side towards front of seat, similar to my Russell Day long.
14 months? I would be demanding my seat back and finding another seat builder!

Can you post a pic of your Russell?

Is there more to the story here? I was just looking at their website and thinking about have them do my seat.

As to what's going on with me and Seth Laam seats, right now, I can't comment as I'm working with him to get my seat back, lots of delays due to foam shipments and the focus for me is to get my seat back.

Years ago I was having some discomfort like this.
Suspected underwear seams…..
I changed from briefs (Whitey tighties) to boxers.
It made a big difference to me.
I’ve never gone back.

Years ago I was having some discomfort like this.
Suspected underwear seams…..
I changed from briefs (Whitey tighties) to boxers.
It made a big difference to me.
I’ve never gone back.
I wore my Moto Skeevies on y four hour ride to RDL and my bunny were fine when I got home , they helped!

Last edited:
So Bud,
What happened with the seat??????
I tried to find you at the national, I asked everyone with an Indiana license plate, " are you Bud?"
I got some strange looks.
Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to redo a spare seat I have.
Just wondered what you learned.
Cheers
Bob

I had a dumb idea that slowed the process down. I was with the tall redheaded feller that might remind you of Joe Dirt. 🤭 That would be Greg, my nephew, who was the winner of some tech spec tank pads at the banquet. You should have asked Ted, he has my cell number.

Yeah, I was looking for you too. Ted seems to be the arbiter of all info, knowledge and supplies currently known to man, what were we thinking to not have thought of this.:) I'm sure we will see you somewhere soon.