• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Custom seat

Bud

I ran into a new upholstery guy. I've never been totally satisfied with any of the seats on my bikes. I seem to be hard to please, so I should be a good test subject. I'm thinking of having a stock C14 seat modded and taking it to the national for folks to see. The number one goal is comfort. I'd like to try to have it reshaped so that the seat is parallel to the ground like on a R1250RT so that there is no push toward the tank or handlebars. He mentioned gel padding, an assortment of coverings etc as options. What do you guys want in a seat and what are you willing to pay for a seat that makes you smile? I'm looking for quick answers so he has time to do the work before the national. Is there demand for a lowered seat? If so, what shape are you looking for? Eager to hear what folks want.

Everyone has their own opinions.
I suspect the most common would be raise the front off the seat to prevent sliding forward, widen the seating area, maybe narrow the front.
Some back support for the rider.
Same basic thing for the passenger, but no back support.

Firm,, but not OMG firm...

Ride safe, Ted

Concur with Ted on:
A) stop the forward sliding by raising the tip closest to the tank;
B) narrow the seat nearest the tank so when we put feet on ground the edges of the seat don’t bite into the inner thighs;
C) make a spot of memory foam or other softer gel for the hip bones, but don’t soften the entire deck, so that on longer rides we can avoid having saddle sores;
D) lumbar support for rider, which means flattening the seat and moving the flare forward by about 3”-5” (depending on rider height);
E) texture of the covering is a personal choice, some liking smooth while others may prefer dirt bike type synthetic leather.

Reactions: Bud
Concur with Ted on:
A) stop the forward sliding by raising the tip closest to the tank;
B) narrow the seat nearest the tank so when we put feet on ground the edges of the seat don’t bite into the inner thighs;
C) make a spot of memory foam or other softer gel for the hip bones, but don’t soften the entire deck, so that on longer rides we can avoid having saddle sores;
D) lumbar support for rider, which means flattening the seat and moving the flare forward by about 3”-5” (depending on rider height);
E) texture of the covering is a personal choice, some liking smooth while others may prefer dirt bike type synthetic leather.
I'd completely agree with all these points. Gotta solve the hip/sit bone pain of the factory seat would be a priority for me. Probably go with a smooth finish if the forward slide was resolved

I bought the Kawasaki C14 accessory touring seat from Revilla. I have not had a chance to go on a very long ride with it. The short trips I have done, are less than 100 miles. I have come to some conclusions thus far is: The sliding into the tank has stopped. The seat cover helps keep one planted. I have not found the need to readjust seating position yet. (you know scoot back from the tank) Pressure points. With the OEM seat it takes me a steady 200 miles to get me thinking I don't like the seat.

So far I have not had any complaints. Once I get a good ride on it I'll update findings by doing a review.

Seats will always be a personal choice, cannot judge based on picture or opinion. My biggest complaint on the OEM was the lean into the tank, second would be the room in the seat is too short and third, the feel of the seat, too firm and narrow. I recently purchased a Sargent and a Corbin. The Sargent had the same ergonomics as the factory seat (leans forward) so it was a "no go" and sent back. The Corbin (1piece) was exactly what I was looking for. Once installed I immediately could feel the difference of the seat pan and where my arse contacts the seat...on the "sit bones". The original felt like sitting on a 6x6 post. The Corbin seat is also sits flat and does not push me into the tank. I also have more seat space to maneuver and more back support, with the option of adding a backrest later if I feel the need. The "Corbin firm foam" is very comfortable to me, I don't want to sink in or float around. I want the seat to give me feedback of the road. The Corbin does this, but has enough give to absorb heavy road bumps but still give good road feedback. I also don't care for the shape of the RDL, LAAM (custom shop) offerings and the turn around time is a deal breaker for me. I am sure those offerings are plush, just not for me. . FYI I am 6' / 240lbs and I would categorize my build as stocky. I like to ride aggressively at times but not all the time, about 50/50.

Don't forget when you get a NEW seat it takes some time for it to break in and take a set to your butt.
When I got my RDL there was a note in the box saying basically don't panic this will take some time to break in.
They were right- When I first got on, the first mile was OMG this thing is all wrong, its got to go back.
300 miles later I was like, wow, this is nice. 3000 miles later I was totally happy, best thing ever.
Nick
2014 C-14

Don't forget when you get a NEW seat it takes some time for it to break in and take a set to your butt.
When I got my RDL there was a note in the box saying basically don't panic this will take some time to break in.
They were right- When I first got on, the first mile was OMG this thing is all wrong, its got to go back.
300 miles later I was like, wow, this is nice. 3000 miles later I was totally happy, best thing ever.
Nick
2014 C-14
Hope that is how it works out for me