• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cut up tire comparison

Just Cliff

Saw a post where gilbysan cut apart a tire, I was bored, weather was bad & I had tires. Sooooo I got out the sawzall & went to cutting. Measured the rubber thickness at the center & noted the mileage. Labeled the tires for comparison sake.

For what it's worth here are the results. The 3D-XM had the highest mileage & was the second thickest in the center. The Angel had 3,400 miles on it. The Roadtec sucked, I couldn't wait to get that tire off. So it's not as worn as I normally run them too.

This was the only 4 brands I had on hand or I'd done some more.

Attachments

• 20190406_133305_resized.jpg
    20190406_133305_resized.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190406_133315_resized.jpg
    20190406_133315_resized.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 192
  • 20190406_132757_resized.jpg
    20190406_132757_resized.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 20190406_132814_resized.jpg
    20190406_132814_resized.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 194
Thanks for doing this but I'm unsure of the lesson. Almost all of the tires were on their wear bars. Thickness of center did not seem to translate into superior mileage. My bike can be a bit squirrelly when my tires wear down to a certain point. Was the ride that much different from thicker tires as the tread wore down?

Diz said:
Thanks for doing this but I'm unsure of the lesson. Almost all of the tires were on their wear bars. Thickness of center did not seem to translate into superior mileage. My bike can be a bit squirrelly when my tires wear down to a certain point. Was the ride that much different from thicker tires as the tread wore down?

There was no lesson to speak of.  :-\  I said it in the 1st line of post, boredom & bad weather.  Just something different than the same ole tire & oil crap.

If you need a lesson though. It shows the most worn tire (ST) still has the most rubber left. Center has a trace of tread & the sides are slick.  :motonoises: The highest mileage tire has the second most rubber left. The least worn tire has the less rubber left.

Pretty much all tires are ill handling when there that worn.

The lesson for me is, when it comes to tires I would take any advice Cliff gave me. Cliff puts ALOT of miles on every year and has probably gone through more tires than 98% of us have. And I'm sure he has tested more brands also.

Ditto all,
I could only handle cutting up one set of tires, Cliff did a bunch and I like to see the innards of things so Thanks Cliff!
It is all good stuff.
Gilbysan

My only question is why was he hanging on to a bunch of tire carcasses?  :nananana:

Jim Snyder said:
The lesson for me is, when it comes to tires I would take any advice Cliff gave me.

Best advice I can give you, is DON'T take any advice from me!  :nananana:

gsun said:
My only question is why was he hanging on to a bunch of tire carcasses?  :nananana:

They're like rabbits, they multiply quickly. Time to haul them off again, the pile has grown.

It has occurred to me, my tire cost has surpassed what I paid for the bike new. Bike cost $11,100 new, approx. 45 sets of tires at $250.00 = $11,250.  :'( :mad:

Cliff is the man!  Anyone who knows how many sets of tires he has put on his bike(s) is awesome, IMO!
Ride On Cliff!
Gilbysan

Just Cliff said:
It has occurred to me, my tire cost has surpassed what I paid for the bike new. Bike cost $11,100 new, approx. 45 sets of tires at $250.00 = $11,250.  :'( :mad:

But just think, the bike cost is down to 5 1/2 cents per mile! Amazing.  :great: :great: :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
Jim Snyder said:
The lesson for me is, when it comes to tires I would take any advice Cliff gave me.

They're like rabbits, they multiply quickly. Time to haul them off again, the pile has grown.

Cliff, did you ever get another set of wheels so you could have the next set ready to swap out at a moments notice?

My take away is when your tires are worn you have little resistance to a puncture.  Only 4-7mm.  I can shove my keys through that almost.  I am always surprised how thin and weak it feels when I am looking an old tire over.

Jim,
You could be right.  In my case I don't think it would have mattered how much was left.  I picked up a small sliver of steel that looked like a little toothpick about 15mm long and 1 mm thick, and it went right through the tread, belts and all. I noticed that my TPMS was registering a decrease in pressure for the front, where normally the pressure is extremely consistent so that was my cue to check it out.
I hate FoD problems!
Gilbysan

Just Cliff said:
Jim Snyder said:

Best advice I can give you, is DON'T take any advice from me!  :nananana:

gsun said:

You could almost qualify as a group buy on your own.  :rotflmao:

My itty bitty six fiddy is keeping pace. Rear tire number 10 will be done when I get out your way, probably around 57k miles at that point. I plan on going to that dealer I have used before out that way.

gilbysan said:
Anyone who knows how many sets of tires he has put on his bike(s) is awesome, IMO!
Ride On Cliff!
Gilbysan

Approx. + or - 2, I'd have to go through book & count to be exact.  :motonoises:

SteveJ. said:

My itty bitty six fiddy is keeping pace. Rear tire number 10 will be done when I get out your way, probably around 57k miles at that point. I plan on going to that dealer I have used before out that way.

Maybe a group buy together!  :) 57K already? You ride to much.  :nananana: I need to be retired too, then I could ride more.

Steve order some tires & have them sent here. Mount them here, plenty others have. Dealer you're referring to is a 2 hour round trip from here & not very good one.

Just Cliff said:
gilbysan said:
Anyone who knows how many sets of tires he has put on his bike(s) is awesome, IMO!
Ride On Cliff!
Gilbysan

Approx. + or - 2, I'd have to go through book & count to be exact.  :motonoises:

SteveJ. said:

Maybe a group buy together!  :) 57K already? You ride to much.  :nananana: I need to be retired too, then I could ride more.

Steve order some tires & have them sent here. Mount them here, plenty others have. Dealer you're referring to is a 2 hour round trip from here & not very good one.

Riding too much, is that like having too much money?

I didn't wanna be in the way with everything going on. Thanks for the offer and will most likely take advantage. I was kinda thinking about getting there a day or two early to help. I'm d*mned good at holding a clipboard.  :)

I'll shoot a PM when I order to let you know. I'll have a fresh front when leaving out of here so that should be good 2 go, just need the rear.  I'd best take a good look at my chain and sprockets, it's been a while.

Thanks

gilbysan said:
Jim,
You could be right.  In my case I don't think it would have mattered how much was left.  I picked up a small sliver of steel that looked like a little toothpick about 15mm long and 1 mm thick, and it went right through the tread, belts and all. I noticed that my TPMS was registering a decrease in pressure for the front, where normally the pressure is extremely consistent so that was my cue to check it out.
I hate FoD problems!
Gilbysan

I had a slow leak and it turned out to be a staple like the one in an office stapler. Only way I found it was as I was rubbing my hand across the tire slowly looking for a leak the staple cut my finger as it was just a mm or so sticking out.

Hey Cliff!!!! Thanks for doing this experiment. I enjoyed it!

I cut up a PR3 for a puncture plug demo once for Cortez. Failed to take measurement tho'. Just cleaned the garagio out in prep for another skin change. Threw away 3 set's of case tires. Just in case I might need 'em. Funny thing about those tho'. You might need 'em but you just go buy another set. Damn things are like bunnies.