• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cutting my Madstad windshield to fit me.

ONOBob

Last year I went to handle bars because I couldn't take the pressure on my shoulders and neck.
This made my windshield too short. I bought a Madstad on C10 classifieds to get some adjustability and hopefully some additional heat relief. A couple days riding at the Dry Creek Rendevous revealed it was actually about 1.5 inches
too tall, even at it's lowest setting. I HATE looking thru a windshield
So, a reduction was in order. ( I've done this before - several times - trying to a Harley windshield to suit me... never did)
Ya need a piece of construction paper, and a helper to trace out the top shape of the shield.
Some blue painters tape to protect it while ya cut and sand it
A fine tooth jig saw blade, some 80/150/220 grit sand paper and sanding block will give a near factory looking edge.
Happy to say it turned out perfect, highest setting is just right, lowest setting gets me a nice bit of cool air on my
upper arms and shoulders, without any significant turbulence.
Ride safe
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 161
Thanks for the write up. I'm about to cut my Rifle shield down also and wasn't sure if jig saw or dremel was the correct tool.

You used a a fine tooth metal cutting blade? Do you happen to know the tooth count (TPI)?
thanks

Thanks for the write up. I'm about to cut my Rifle shield down also and wasn't sure if jig saw or dremel was the correct tool.

You used a a fine tooth metal cutting blade? Do you happen to know the tooth count (TPI)?
thanks
Yep, very fine metal blade, I'm not at home, can get ya a tooth count tomorrow.

2 things: cut slow as not to melt the shield. 2: ive been cutting race shields for years. (gustaffson, etc) you can get a very nice finish using a propane torch off the edge very carefully , this will give the nice radiused edge on the corner. you need to be 6-10 inches away to just smooth the edges and constantly move the flame. practice on the part you cut off, its way easier and less risky than it sounds. did my cut down cee bailey the same way.

Last edited:
The blade I used is a Porter Cable PC1226M. But any fine toothed "thin metal blade" should work.
Like MnSC says, it's not that hard.
I DID use a sharpie to trace out the top shape pattern onto the blue tape, then removed the pattern.
Cut slow, so you get a nice "straight cut". Less Sanding ( or torching) afterwards.
I've never used a torch. The course / medium / fine sandpaper process works good enough for me

Oh, and use air to blow the cutting / sanding dust off before you remove the tape...the dust can scratch your shield

Thanks for the info, been riding the last week with a thin piece of painters tape on the shield trying to determine where to cut. I think I'm close.

I cut mine yesterday. It turned out well. I thought I had a fine blade for my saw but I didn't. I tried a hack saw, but it was too slow. I got out the dremel and used it with a reinforced cutting wheel. It worked really good. I used the flexible attachment thingy so I could get closer to the shield. Finished it off with 220 sandpaper and a block.