• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cylinder head needed

lobo

Looking for a cylinder head for a C10. Prefer 2000 or newer but will consider others. Can call me at 608 792-0310 or email "bullrider43@yahoo.com".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-ZG-1000-CONCOURS-MOTOR-HEAD-ASSEMBLY-/400185515402?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2cea5d8a

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't buy that head.  People that are selling parted bikes on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter) that don't understand how stuff was built to work shouldn't be selling stuff.  Here's the deal...

When the head was machined, the cam caps (the parts that hold the camshafts in place) were torqued to the head and then machined in place (bored for the camshafts).  There may be, and almost assuredly are, differences from cap to cap.  In other words, the caps are not interchangeable.  They need to go back together in the same position that they were machined in or else you're asking for trouble.  The fit COULD be so bad that the camshafts couldn't even rotate.  When an engine assembly, like a cylinder head, has been dismantled completely, then the parts need to be marked for re-assembly or at least keep in order so that they can re-assembled in their correct position.  The pics of this head say the hardware is included, but you have zero assurance that they will be in the right position and thus whether or not the head will be usable.  IF the camshafts and all associated hardware was still in place, THEN I wouldn't be too afraid of buying a eBay cylinder head.  Just my .02... are there any other engine-builders/hot-rodders/gear-heads that agree with me?  If not, why not?

However... IF the caps were numbered (they may be from the factory, memory fails me right now) and ordered and replaced in their appropriate positions, all will be fine.  The question IS... did the guy who broke it down do that?

They are numbered left to right with an arrow indicating the front (driving direction). There is also the possibility to re align bore the housings if your machine shop is equiped to do so. It does lower the cams slightly in relation to the head gasket surface, which will affect cam timing "slightly". But it's not any more that if you had any other cylinder head machined for warpage. The camshaft adjuster will look after the slight amount of slack created by this as well. If you've got enough money you can do just about anything!  ;)

qman said:
They are numbered left to right with an arrow indicating the front (driving direction). There is also the possibility to re align bore the housings if your machine shop is equiped to do so. It does lower the cams slightly in relation to the head gasket surface, which will affect cam timing "slightly". But it's not any more that if you had any other cylinder head machined for warpage. The camshaft adjuster will look after the slight amount of slack created by this as well. If you've got enough money you can do just about anything!  ;)
Numbering and arrows ought to be all one needs then.  As for align boring the caps and trunions, the machining would cost more than another head that had no problems.  That''s why I didn't even really consider it.  Thanks for the reply on markings.  I just found one of my loose heads (ZX rather than ZG but the same) in the shop yesterday so I could have looked for myself. LOL