• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dash Shelf Vibration

Far2Ride

Training Wheels
Anybody come up with anything to cut down on some of the shelf/ fairing vibration. I understand it can't be totally eliminated but?????????? Before I get the Mr. Obvious answers I would like to keep both GPS units up there. Thanks.
20160424_143609_zpsbthiv1xy.jpg

Not just the bolt, but the bracket it bolts into. The piece welded to the steering head tube can break even when the bolt is good and is tight.

index.php

But, if your shelf is vibrating more than the fairing it might just need to be stiffer. Or do you mean vibration transmitted from the fairing? In which case it might be too rigid.

Far2Ride said:
Anybody come up with anything to cut down on some of the shelf/ fairing vibration. I understand it can't be totally eliminated but?????????? Before I get the Mr. Obvious answers I would like to keep both GPS units up there. Thanks.
20160424_143609_zpsbthiv1xy.jpg

I see the need for radar, because what guides the missiles otherwise?  :)

By all means check the main fairing bolt. Also a loose front fender can sound like it's coming from the shelf. You'll need washers on each side of the fender to make it snug again. I also had not tightened the RAM base to the shelf (doh!) which caused a banging noise because the GPS was contacting the shelf. HTH

Check the left and right main fairing mount points to the frame as well.  Near the bottom front of the fuel tank.

Just helped a fellow COGGER go through his C10 and one of those was completely missing. 

His fairing was bouncing around a lot before it was replaced.

Far2Ride,

Any updates on the shelf vibration issue? Just wondering if any of the fairing mount bolts were loose
or even missing/broken?

Thanks  :great:

Pat and Sher in MA said:
Far2Ride,

Any updates on the shelf vibration issue? Just wondering if any of the fairing mount bolts were loose
or even missing/broken?

Thanks  :great:
Everything checked out good. Figured out with both GPS units mounted up there the 7" was causing a little more flex in the shelf I think due to the weight and length of the ram mount arm. Machined a piece of plastic that supports the arm at the front edge of the shelf and all is good. Not a dig on the Bucks shelf (good quality piece) I just have a lot mounted on it.

WillyP said:
Not just the bolt, but the bracket it bolts into. The piece welded to the steering head tube can break even when the bolt is good and is tight.

index.php

But, if your shelf is vibrating more than the fairing it might just need to be stiffer. Or do you mean vibration transmitted from the fairing? In which case it might be too rigid.

Anyone have a pic of what this section is SUPPOSED to look like?

John_Atkinson said:
Anyone have a pic of what this section is SUPPOSED to look like?
WillyP said:

index.php

My main bracket broke like the pics above AND someone removed the lower brace bolts from the side of the engine. I replaced those and came up with a quick solution that someone on the Facebook page suggested with band clamps. Now it doesn’t vibrate at all. I’ll have the tab re-welded when I have the time.  :)