• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Daytona

mikebike

mikebike
Are they running superbikes at Daytona this year?  For some reason, they insist on running 600's in the 200 instead of superbikes.  That's like running Nationwide in the Daytona 500, nobody in their right mind would do that.  Only five superbike venues this year, what's with that?

I can only address your questions about why they don't run the Superbikes in the Daytona 200. The Superbikes are so fast now that the tires have a tendency to come apart from the heat and loading placed on them when running on the banking. Because of that, the 600's and Superbikes now run on different track configurations. The Superbikes only use NASCAR turns 3 & 4, and the infield portion is a bit longer. But I believe that their lap distance is shorter than the regular bike track lay-out, so to run 200 miles would mean even more laps to get the 200 mile distance in.

Dunlop really didn't want to have anything to do with the Superbikes running 200 miles on that track, so in the interests of safety, they now run the 600's in the big 200 mile race.

Sad to say, but the Daytona 200, like AMA roadracing is now so mickey-mouse that it can't even get decent TV coverage.

Gone are the likes of KR vs. Ago, DuHamel vs. Russell, Graeme Crosby, Freddie Spencer, Nixon, Rayborn, Black Bart Markel, Carruthers.  Gone are 750 OHV's vs. 350 2 strokes, VR1000's, TZ 700s, etc etc. etc.

Now we have some B squad guys all running Japanese 600 4's on Saturday afternoon.  Yaaaawwwwwn.

Racerboy said:
I can only address your questions about why they don't run the Superbikes in the Daytona 200. The Superbikes are so fast now that the tires have a tendency to come apart from the heat and loading placed on them when running on the banking. Because of that, the 600's and Superbikes now run on different track configurations. The Superbikes only use NASCAR turns 3 & 4, and the infield portion is a bit longer. But I believe that their lap distance is shorter than the regular bike track lay-out, so to run 200 miles would mean even more laps to get the 200 mile distance in.

Dunlop really didn't want to have anything to do with the SUperbikes running 200 miles on that track, so in the interests of safety, they now run the 600's in the big 200 mile race.

Thanks for the insight.

But why can't they run it and incorporate mandatory pits for new tires? MotoGP did it this year in Australia, and it added a whole new dimension to the race. In fact, championship leader Marquez was black-flagged for exceeding the max laps on his tires. Granted, Marquez went on to win the championship anyways, but it certainly put that in question at the time.

When Honda was the race sponsor, and not competitive in Superbike, they switched the 200 to 600cc.  It had nothing to do with tires or speed at that time, their 600 was number 1.  Sponsors have come and gone, the formula adjusted slightly, but Superbikes don't run the 200.  I've watched them run the big race and tire changes have to be made by lap 20 or so, because you're on borrowed time.  World Superbike's run as fast or faster, with a larger tire selection.  Wouldn't that be an option?  We might be watching go-karts next year anyway.

Great Caesar's Ghost!!

Soop just announced a return to 1,000 cc for the 2015 Daytona 200.  http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Feb/140210dmg.htm

Only took AMA/DMG 10 years to figure out that the sport has been plummeting in popularity in North America.  Now that they have real bikes racing, how about some real racers?  The track probably wouldn't pass MotoGP or WSBK safety rules so how about link it to the IOM series?

Real bikes.  Real racers.  Real tracks.

Wuddaya think?

p.s. here's a shot in its heyday - Hailwood, Nixon, Romero, DuHamel, Carruthers, Nicholas et al.

Attachments

• Dayton1286.jpg
    Dayton1286.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 117
I think that moto racing is dead in the US, at least as a spectator sport that can generate revenue for advertisers and "tv" coverage.  Yes, this is horrible.