• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Delaware Ride

ulric

Tricycle
Had a beautiful 4 hour ride in Delaware and eastern Maryland yesterday. The only glitch was, my old streetpilot GPS gave up the ghost on the touchscreen, so I couldn't program it for where I wanted to go, or cancel the old route that was on it. So for about the first 1/2 hour of riding, the gal in the box was squawking "Off Route, Recalculating" at me. After I got sufficiently far away from the old destination she finally shut up and then didn't bother me again. I have a newer GPS on order from Ebay. I rode from Chestertown out past Millington, then to Clayton and Smyrna, then as far south on 13 as Dover, then back up 13 as far as Newark, DE. Highway 13, besides having a cool name, is a real interesting divided highway, kind of like US 1. Business after business, lots of bikers, RV dealers, fence companies, strip malls, sand and gravel places, etc. I stopped at Mike's Famous Harley Joint in Smyrna just to sample their air-conditioning and look at their overpriced clothing. Noticed that most of the Harley guys in there were old geezers like me, had a nice chat with one who was admiring the C-14. I was trying to find Diamond Powersports in Camden, which is where my friend Ritchie Smith works, but it's just south of Dover, and I didn't go far enough south - I thought it was way north. Ritchie rides all the way from DE to Annapolis every day on a Ninja 250, he's in the Naval Academy band. He also has the beginning of a cool collection of older bikes, a primo ZL 1000, and a Yamaha SR-500. (both '78's) I like that ZL-1000. Of course, the only state map I did not have was DE, I couldn't program the GPS, and I was too preoccupied with the joy of riding to stop and get directions, so I just sat up there on the seat, happy as an Irish setter with his head out the window, and watched the world zip by. Then when I got home I looked up where Diamond Motorsports was on the computer, and chalked it up for my next weekend ride. I rode about 150 miles looking for a place only 39 miles from here! Some people wouldn't understand! Anyone else have days like that?