• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Delkavic slip on question

Strawboss

finally looking at ordering a slip on muffler from Delkavic, 18" seems to be my style as the others are called "stubby" at 14", I think I'm looking at something from them to almost clear the bags. Now, oval carbon fiber, or stainless. I'm leaning towards oval carbon fiber even at almost $50 more as many complain about color issues with stainless, normally, that would really not be an issue with me but with a totally blacked out bike with black rims, a bluish/yellowish muffler may seem totally cool to some, I'd like to stick with black all over. Others here with this combo? Over the past 7 months I looked at a lot of old posts and a lot of opinions and a lot of different makes and models. Delkavic seems to be a common pattern for a lot here and it looks like a great price for what you are getting. I'd only order from the company, no EBAY or Amazon etc...

Delkavic is about the only reasonable CF muffler around for a C14. Black Widow used to have a carbon fiber muffler. I tried to order one maybe 1.5 years ago. It went to “back ordered” then after a couple weeks I called & BW submitted a CF tip muffler as full CF was discontinued. Dang, the BW full exhaust was slightly more the just the muffler alone from Delkavic. So I ordered directly CF from Delkavic, The CF part of my 18” CF muffler stays cool for a exhaust system, i can put a hand on it and it’s maybe rad hose hot. 18” is the correct length for the bags. My Silver 08 Looks good with CF, i bet Black would look pretty sharp with CF also. Not sure the best way to get the muffler inlet & outlet tips blacked out?

Hey Strawboss -

I have run the Delk on two C14s and been very happy with them. Running the 18" Carbon Oval model. No issues at all other than after about 30K miles I noticed that the sound had changed a bit (or my mind told me it had). Called them and they suggested that after 30K miles I would do well to repack the can which I did and in fact the sound went back to what I remembered. No performance difference that I could discern, only the exhaust note coming out the back.

My Son bought the stubby carbon model for his C14 and ended up adding welding a chrome tip to move the hot exhaust away from the bottom of his right side bag as I was heating up and getting some carbon build up in the bottom.

Of interest, both bikes sound very similar at idle and through the RPM range, and perform identically or close enough to not matter.

Good Luck!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Attachments

• 20190527_193927.jpg
    20190527_193927.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 119
Delkavic is about the only reasonable CF muffler around for a C14. Black Widow used to have a carbon fiber muffler. I tried to order one maybe 1.5 years ago. It went to “back ordered” then after a couple weeks I called & BW submitted a CF tip muffler as full CF was discontinued. Dang, the BW full exhaust was slightly more the just the muffler alone from Delkavic. So I ordered directly CF from Delkavic, The CF part of my 18” CF muffler stays cool for a exhaust system, i can put a hand on it and it’s maybe rad hose hot. 18” is the correct length for the bags. My Silver 08 Looks good with CF, i bet Black would look pretty sharp with CF also. Not sure the best way to get the muffler inlet & outlet tips blacked out?
I have the exact slip on you describe and love it. The sound is incredible and I swear that she pulls harder. Make sure you order direct from the US site to get the best price and fast shipping. If you buy on EBay it is more expensive. Sure makes a bike look great!

Attachments

• 0163428D-0D2E-4359-B315-FB8FB85566BE.jpeg
    0163428D-0D2E-4359-B315-FB8FB85566BE.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 114
Very good, thanks all, pretty much what I thought, always nice to get some real feedback. Now, got wait till Nov.25th.

I switched over to the 18 inch Delkavic carbon from the black widow.

It is a bit quieter to my ear and has a deeper tone in my opinion. I like it better than the BW.

I am seriously considering adding the Delkavic header to my bike. The stock pipes are ugly as a mud fence. This spring will include a valve clearance check sans coweling. A great time to swap the pipe. Curious if there are any experiences folks are willing to share on the subject.

Last edited:
I went with the BW header & Delkavic carbon fiber muffler with the little baffle removed. Has a nice deep sound.
BW header was kind of a pain to get the pieces together but I wanted a 4-2-1 header rather than a 4-1 header. The welds on my BW header are very nice looking. I didn’t use any of the provided sealer. Slip fit & wacked the pieces together with rubber mallet before tightening up the header bolts. No exhaust leaks in 20k miles.

I have the 4 into 1 18" Stainless steel Oval and headers with the Ivan 10K RPM Flash.

Here are videos with and without baffle. Delkavic 4 in 1 18" and Headers (use good speakers or good headphones)

I did this during 15K maintenance.

The Stainless-Steel scratches easily and will require extra work to keep it clean and scratch free (after one day I already have some polish work to do).

In hindsight, the carbon might have been a better choice as far as upkeep.

Dimitrius

Delkavic sales told me today that they will be having their "Black Friday" sales event starting Nov. 25th and extending to that Monday with 10% off their entire catalogue.

I have the 4 into 1 18" Stainless steel Oval and headers with the Ivan 10K RPM Flash.

Here are videos with and without baffle. Delkavic 4 in 1 18" and Headers (use good speakers or good headphones)

I did this during 15K maintenance.

The Stainless-Steel scratches easily and will require extra work to keep it clean and scratch free (after one day I already have some polish work to do).

In hindsight, the carbon might have been a better choice as far as upkeep.

Dimitrius
Dimitrius, great video! (Great) As in; It's a perfect comparison!
The 2 video's clearly show the different sound.
"Andddddd", they also highlight a "spt spt spt" sound {Technical Term} that is heard on some Slip-on Mufflers with the baffle removed.

For those that are wondering what the heck I'm talking about; "listen closely" to his baffled and unbaffled videos at low RPM's. "spt spt spt"
Some of you have heard it and think you're hearing an exhaust leak. "spt spt spt"

NOTE: On my bike I installed dual Area P mufflers {without baffles}.
Love the sound, but the "spt spt spt" was making me nuts.
I kept looking for an exhaust leak.
&*^&$$^&&@

After a lot of cussing/tinkering I discovered that the sound is caused by the hole where the baffle screw was removed.
I put a small SS Screw and Nut in the holes and the "spt spt spt" went away. Shazam!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: {rlievenski} if you plan the Delk header install, read the Discussion from a recent COGger that installed a dual set up.
More work, but (mebbe) worth considering.
Read post 67 for another that heard the "spt spt spt" sound.

Last edited:
Ah So Connie Rider! My hearings not what it used to be so I have noted that sound and just chalked it up to leaking around the carbon can and the caps which as you know are riveted and may not have the best seal around the circumference, but what you said makes perfect sense. Gonna go plug mine and see what happens.

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - FatNinja

Have the 14 CF with slash/cut tip, not the angled one....sorry, but I never cared for the angle look, to mee it looks like ti's broken. I did put some heat-tape on the underside of the bag, just to be safe.Delkevic

Be very careful with that muffler. I agree it looks and sounds good.
The issue is not radiant heat.
The issue is the "expanding hot exhaust gasses" that come straight out of the muffler.
If the angle is wrong, that hot air can hit the rear hinge on the bag.
We have photo's on this Forum of them (and some of the bag bottom) melted away.
NOTE: I think those bikes had a shorter muffler than you do.

If the exhaust is aimed at the hinge, heat tape would do no good.
But, if you've had them for a while, your "prolly" ok.
Just touch the rear hinge sometimes after a fast run to see if it's getting hot.

Gilbysan, just let the bike idle and place your finger over the hole. You'll hear the difference immediately.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Somewhere in this Forum there is a photo a bag hinge that was melted by the exhaust gasses.
Hopefully someone can find it. I've struck out in my search.
"Success"

Note that the damage is not directly in line with the exhaust. Reason is the gasses expand as they leave the pipe.
Also notice that there is no damage from radiant heat above the muffler.

1667741854255.png

Last edited:
Be very careful with that muffler. I agree it looks and sounds good.
The issue is not radiant heat.
The issue is the expanding hot exhaust gasses that come straight out of the muffler.
If the angle is wrong, that hot air can hit the rear hinge on the bag.
We have photo's on this Forum of them (and some of the bag bottom) melted away.
NOTE: I think those bikes had a shorter muffler than you do.

If the exhaust is aimed at the hinge, heat tape would do no good.
But, if you've had them for a while, your "prolly" ok.
Just touch the rear hinge sometimes after a fast run to see if it's getting hot.

Gilbysan, just let the bike idle and place your finger over the hole. You'll hear the difference immediately.

Ride safe, Ted
yes, I was a little nervous at first before I put the tape on, and would check the bag-bottom as soon as I got off the bike. Even on hot summer days this year, I didn't see any issues...but I put the tape on just to be on the safe side. The muffler just looked too good to me to not have it on the bike.

That looks like the dam at Cannelton.
That's right

Y'all got some VERY memorable roads down there. Much different than up here in the flatlands above US 40.

flatlands2.jpgflatlands1.jpg

But! we do boast the "Highest Point in INDIANA" .....right over there .... I left it bigger so you can see it......

highest point.jpg

Just ordered my slip on for the C-14. There is no "Black Friday" sale as such. I paid the same 10% off with free shipping price I could have gotten over a month ago, so it's word games. $269 total, still a great price for a product most here rave about, now, I have to wait till spring to install and try out.

Lol, u can still put it on and put her on the center stand and listen to that sweet sound as u run thru the gears....bring home one of the big air movers from the station. And let it blow from the front... almost like being on the road...

Being a retired donut munched (law enforcement for those not understanding what a donut muncher or what a power ring is) ive got quite a few buddys who are hose dragging recliner breaking heros... so many that they often confused me as being one of their own....lol

Cuz that's what I would do... but I'd have to beg a little for one of the b.a.b's