• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Delkevic slip on question

Hawk600

Hey guys, is anybody here running Delkevic 14" slip on with the bags mounted? Any concern about the heat?

I just ordered the 14" CF oval slip on but after reading the melted bag thread plus seeing most here using the 18"version instead I am started to get concerned and thinking if I should swap it for the 18"model.
https://delkevic.com/stubby-14-carbon-fiber-oval-muffler-to-fit-concours-1400-2008-2019/

I like the looks of the 14" better it is lighter and it produces slightly more power. It has a tip that is horizontal not shooting to the bottom of the bags so I imagined it should be ok, but if the case I might change it for the 18"

:beerchug:

I have the same 14' slash cut slip on  that is on the bike in the melted bag thread. My 14' Delkalvic has been on my bike for 20,000 miles now without any sign of any more heat to the bag than the stock muffler, in fact even after a hard long ride there is no significant temperature difference between the left and right bag. If one looks at the picture in the melted bag thread I think you'll see the slip on isn't in line with the bottom of the bag and even points at the point where the bag melted. This being said it appears that care must be taken to ensure a good straight install.

+1 to what Grant said.  I have the same silencer with the slash cut outlet on my bike with no saddle bag problems.  I wish it was a tad quieter, but I'm getting used to it after 8000 miles.....

Thank you guys for the feedback, I am still torn between 14"or 17"/18" models.
I am watching youtube videos and reading the forums and I like the looks of the14"models over the longer ones but not sure if it will  be too loud for me.
The feedback I have from Delkevic is that 17"/18" models will not be louder than stock but will have that low frequency growl and 14" models will be a little louder than stock.

IMHO I think the sound level difference is in the tips.  I have a 14" oval on my '06 FZ1 with the old/retro/smaller tip, and it is quieter than the 14" round I have on my C14 with the new/slash cut tip.  Both with the db-killers installed.  Both stainless silencers.

Maybe this info will help. I have heard most all of the available slipons. I will tell you the delkevics and the 2 brothers are the loudest / raspiest. I really don't like the shorty delkevics, they are LOUD.

I also want to address the issue of running with the DB silencers installed DON'T DO IT. They are power killers.  I'm going to attach a with silencer  and without silencer dyno comparison to prove it. This is the same bike, look at the dyno run times. A fellow COG member. we put the bike on my dyno, made a couple runs, and pulled the silencer out for another couple runs. NO OTHER CHANGES.

With the silencer, a net LOSS OF 14 HP.

I have also done dyno work comparing stock and slip ons, and the slip ons (with no silencer) gain about 3 hp. So a delkevic with the silencer in delivers about 11HP LESS THAN STOCK.

Steve

Attachments

• DBkiller.png
    DBkiller.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 190
I ordered a 14" slash cut CF yesterday before reading about the heat issue.

Called Delkevic to talk about it and they were willing to ship the slip on with an extension pipe or ship me the one with the turn down tip for less money.

I opted for the turn down tip.

I'm going to cover my bases by installing a rectangle of foil insulation (thin sandwich of foil and fibreglass) on the underside of the pannier.

2 days from Colorado to my front door in The Great White North.

Will be installing on Sunday.

Took a close look at the can and price point vs quality: no complaints.

When you do the install, check that the tip does not direct exhaust at your rear bag hinge and you should be fine.
NOTE: Buying a muffler with a turn down tip will allow the muffler to set closer to the bag.

If it is too close or the wrong angle simply replace the frame to muffler attachment piece with a longer one and push the muffler down...

I think you'll find the 14" to be pretty loud.
I suggest; If not installed yet, exchange for the 17" or 18".             

Ride safe, Ted

Did the install this morning, too easy. Fit and finish is great, looks fabulous on the bike.

14" too loud? Not at all. With the baffle in, it's still quieter than my wifes stock N1K, those shorties BARK.

The sound: now theres a nice rumble at idle, a bark when I hammer the throttle, a hint of a howl up over 7000.Burbles on slow down, no popping. I don't care about the HP loss with the baffle in, I can't really feel it, the bike is still a missile.

There's good clearance between the can and the bag, no real heat issue at all. I had opted for the turn down tip. Thought it would look goofy compared to the slash cut, but nope, it fits the bike very well.

I slipped on the 8" slash.  Run the bags occasionally.  Once with this pipe for a trip to the Rockies, once to Arkansas, and several weekends with my wife to Wisconsin.  Usually just use the top bag.  I bought 3M heat resistant shield tape - whatever it is called - because I was concerned of the melting stories.  Did the bottom of that bag. 

No issues.  No melting or deformation.  However, a wipe down of the tape does remove some black soot.  The reflective tape looks like new when wiped off.  All just one man's anecdote. 

BTW - this is the shorter of the two slash cuts.  While it certainly can get loud and obnoxious when jumping on it in the country, the cat really does keep the bike at a reasonable sound level when being mellow to get out of the neighborhood or through little downtowns / subdivisions. 

angelo said:
I slipped on the 8" slash.  Run the bags occasionally.  Once with this pipe for a trip to the Rockies, once to Arkansas, and several weekends with my wife to Wisconsin.  Usually just use the top bag.  I bought 3M heat resistant shield tape - whatever it is called - because I was concerned of the melting stories.  Did the bottom of that bag. 

No issues.  No melting or deformation.  However, a wipe down of the tape does remove some black soot.  The reflective tape looks like new when wiped off.  All just one man's anecdote. 

BTW - this is the shorter of the two slash cuts.  While it certainly can get loud and obnoxious when jumping on it in the country, the cat really does keep the bike at a reasonable sound level when being mellow to get out of the neighborhood or through little downtowns / subdivisions.

Do you run with the baffle out? If so, do you get decel popping?

Yes --- and ohhhhhh yes!  Pop pop pop.  :motonoises:  Love it for cranking in the country. 

Bought it used (just the 8" slash pipe) from a guy bought for a sportster of all things.  It came without a baffle and hardly used.  Still looked clean inside!  I kept the delkevic mid pipe I had on there and just slipped this one on.  What I took off is a 17" tri oval with less than 1,000 or so miles on it.  Just not enough popping for my tastes! 

If anyone wants it, It may be for sale.  All the delkevic mid pipes work with all their exhausts so one would have to see what delkevic sells the C14 (or any other bike you are interested in ) mid pipe, do the math and see what price is a good deal.  The trioval hangar would come with it. 

If you care about popping and don't feel like doing pair valves, this exhaust is not for you.  The 17" tri oval burbled some in a MUCH more reserved way.  This one pops in a way some find exciting at high load / rpm engine braking.  Again, not a hassle to keep it reasonable in town or neighborhood - mostly due to the cat I am sure. 

angelo said:
Yes --- and ohhhhhh yes!  Pop pop pop.  :motonoises:  Love it for cranking in the country. 

Bought it used (just the 8" slash pipe) from a guy bought for a sportster of all things.  It came without a baffle and hardly used.  Still looked clean inside!  I kept the delkevic mid pipe I had on there and just slipped this one on.  What I took off is a 17" tri oval with less than 1,000 or so miles on it.  Just not enough popping for my tastes! 

If anyone wants it, It may be for sale.  All the delkevic mid pipes work with all their exhausts so one would have to see what delkevic sells the C14 (or any other bike you are interested in ) mid pipe, do the math and see what price is a good deal.  The trioval hangar would come with it. 

If you care about popping and don't feel like doing pair valves, this exhaust is not for you.  The 17" tri oval burbled some in a MUCH more reserved way.  This one pops in a way some find exciting at high load / rpm engine braking.  Again, not a hassle to keep it reasonable in town or neighborhood - mostly due to the cat I am sure.

What year is yours? I'm concerned that disabling the air injection system could trigger an FI fault... Mine's an 18 with an oxygen sensor.

Can someone post the process for overriding the pair valve?
Tried to do a search. No luck so far.

Ride safe, Ted

Update: I found Steve's step by step to do it electrically, but seem to recall an alternative way is to block a hose below the airbox?

otter said:
angelo said:

What year is yours? I'm concerned that disabling the air injection system could trigger an FI fault... Mine's an 18 with an oxygen sensor.

Mine is an 08.  Certainly on for over 20K miles.  Probably over 30K.  No issues.  But also not messing with any sensors.  It is from the mid pipe back to the muffler.  No messing with Cat or anything forward from there like sensors.  Hope this helps. 

So this stuck in my mind and glad I actually remembered to post.  Anyone doing a Delkevic, the mid pipe is a straight pipe.  Meaning it get's VERY hot.  I did melt a bit of my  winter riding pants on it. 

Do your self a favor, and, if you get a Delkevic, also get a silly little chrome heat shield off amazon.  I think I spent something like $15 total (shipping too) for one.  It certainly works and looks totally in place.  Otherwise, be careful when coming to a stop and putting that right foot down.  :great:

My bike has 2 Area P mufflers on it. Both mid pipes have heat shields like angelo suggests.
Before the shields, my wife would melt the soles of her boots on the pipes.
I also damaged riding pant legs..
With the shields, no more melting.

Ride safe, Ted

angelo said:

So. I stopped being a chicken and pulled my baffle out. And I LOVE the way she sounds, deep, gutteral idle, moans at under 4k and then HOWLS when you open her up. And she sounds very reasonable under 4K.

Love the sound of it, especially the lumpy, unhappy idle when she's cold.

Congrats..

By installing slip-on's or doing a baffelectomy, you actually gain a little hp/torque.
  Not a lot, but some...  I have dyno numbers somewhere that show it.

Ride safe, Ted

Can anyone comment on the Delkevic full system vs the slip on, as far as the sound level?  I don't want to make noise for noise's sake and don't want to wake the neighbors when I go to work at 6:00 a.m.  I am at least getting the slip-on, but if I buy the full system it is about $86 cheaper than buying them separate.  I am going for the 18" muffler, probably stainless.  I have a 2018.  Thanks.

Of the 2, the full system will probably be a bit louder than just the slip-on, as the Full System does not have a Cat in it.

Ride safe, Ted

I Feel Fizzy said:
Can anyone comment on the Delkevic full system vs the slip on, as far as the sound level?  I don't want to make noise for noise's sake and don't want to wake the neighbors when I go to work at 6:00 a.m.  I am at least getting the slip-on, but if I buy the full system it is about $86 cheaper than buying them separate.  I am going for the 18" muffler, probably stainless.  I have a 2018.  Thanks.

As far as the slip on goes... baffle out = deeper but not much louder. I think you're neighbours will be fine.

Thanks.  I am trying to get an idea of how much louder the full system would be vs a slip-on.  I guess that is subjective, but if it is too loud I don't want to go there.  That's why I'm going with the 18" can. 

I Feel Fizzy said:
Thanks.  I am trying to get an idea of how much louder the full system would be vs a slip-on.  I guess that is subjective, but if it is too loud I don't want to go there.  That's why I'm going with the 18" can.

Ask the guys that have them installed.
They can give you an idea of loudness.
Shouldn't be that much louder than just the slip-on.
    Only thing different {that would effect sound} is the full system has no Cat.

Ride safe, Ted

The full system is not loud, running the 18" can without baffle. It's also not hot on the midpipe or the muffler, because there's no 900F cat in there. Mines on an 09, there were no sensors in my way and it has no dash lights or funny operation. Im running the Shoodaben AP flash, it runs killer and sounds perfect but definitely not obnoxious.

Great, thank you!  That's the kind of review I was looking for.  I'll go with the full system then.

Thanks again!

Put the Delkevic Full System on my 2018 Concours 14 and really like it.  Not too loud at all.  I didn't want to wake up the neighbors when I go to work in the morning.  I got the 18" stainless can because I didn't want it to be too loud.  Even when opening up on the road it is not too loud.  I have the DB Killer removed too.  Thank you all for the advice, it was a great decision.  Looks so much cleaner than stock too!

I Feel Fizzy said:
Put the Delkevic Full System on my 2018 Concours 14 and really like it.  Not too loud at all.  I didn't want to wake up the neighbors when I go to work in the morning.  I got the 18" stainless can because I didn't want it to be too loud.  Even when opening up on the road it is not too loud.  I have the DB Killer removed too.  Thank you all for the advice, it was a great decision.  Looks so much cleaner than stock too!
Nice, you flashed to match?

I have this 14in on my '12 connie.  Love the sound and the look.  No heat damage to bag.  DB killer removed.

delkevic.com/stubby-14-carbon-fiber-oval-muffler-to-fit-concours-1400-2008-2019/
SKU:
KIT0959
UPC:

Dan said:
I have this 14in on my '12 connie.  Love the sound and the look.  No heat damage to bag.  DB killer removed.

delkevic.com/stubby-14-carbon-fiber-oval-muffler-to-fit-concours-1400-2008-2019/
SKU:
KIT0959
UPC:

You should post a video of it . I would like to hear that 14"  really would like to hear a comparison of the 14" vs the 18"

If you've taken the vid with a smartphone, you can text the vid easy enough.  I'll upload to google photos or youtube and then post a link.  PM me if you want to try that.

HeavyRotation said:
I Feel Fizzy said:
No flash yet.  Will probably go with Ivan's flash when I do.  I spoke to him about it before I bought the Delkevic and he said it was good-to-go.  I used his jet kit on my FZ1 and it was great - I know he does his homework.  Always found him to be very helpful.  I may wait until the factory warranty is up, not sure.

I would think with the full exhaust you would be running pretty lean without a flash.  Is there any popping on decel?  I got mine flashed by Ivan less than 2 months after I bought it new, no way I could have waited for warranty to run out, plus I bought another 3 years of warranty for a total of 6 and will probably buy 3 more if I still have the bike in 3 1/2 years.  Still haven't had a warranty issue after 2 1/2 years and according to the research I've done,  the main warranty items are TPMS batteries, and the windscreen adjusting mechanisms.  If you did have an engine issue I suppose you could always send it back to Ivan to reflash it back to stock before taking it in, oh and be sure to peel the sticker off of course😀

I Feel Fizzy said:
HeavyRotation said:
I Feel Fizzy said:
No flash yet.  Will probably go with Ivan's flash when I do.  I spoke to him about it before I bought the Delkevic and he said it was good-to-go.  I used his jet kit on my FZ1 and it was great - I know he does his homework.  Always found him to be very helpful.  I may wait until the factory warranty is up, not sure.
DON'T WAIT.  You're really missing out, whichever vendor you use. The driveability is night and day better and the power is stupidly addicting. I have Zero regrets on the 350 I paid Mr Steve, it's totally worth it. Just do it!

I hear you guys: I probably won't wait that long to get it flashed.  I know what a huge difference  his jet kit made on my FZ1 - not jut power, but also the driveability.
The next mod I want to do is the rear shock.  I put a Penske triple-clicker on my FZ1 and that was an even better upgrade than the jet kit.  Put Traxxiion Dynamics internals in the front forks on the FZ1 also.  Suspension is sooo important -  what a difference!  A bit pricey though, so I'll have to wait a bit.

I have the same 14' slash cut slip on that is on the bike in the melted bag thread. My 14' Delkalvic has been on my bike for 20,000 miles now without any sign of any more heat to the bag than the stock muffler, in fact even after a hard long ride there is no significant temperature difference between the left and right bag. If one looks at the picture in the melted bag thread I think you'll see the slip on isn't in line with the bottom of the bag and even points at the point where the bag melted. This being said it appears that care must be taken to ensure a good straight install.
That's the point...not any issues after that,just care of the installation