• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Disrepair SE PA Highway - Criminal

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Got a slight bent / dented front wheel, caught a very nasty pothole. The state of disrepair in places of SE Pennsylvania TOLL roads is criminal...

After hitting pot hole I expected a flat, was very hard hit... No vibration, no wobble no nothing. Hit was hard enough though that I put the bike up in the garage to spin the wheel and take a look when arriving home. Cannot see a dent but can feel a minor flat spot on outer rim of wheel when rotating. Tire looks fine on outside but obviously it was crushed flat to dent / bend the wheel.

Not much to see here but photo embedded with flat spot that I can feel circled. Only on left side of the wheel, right side fine.

Thoughts?

Wayne

Attachments

• 5BB134CA-6AC7-4CEC-8AC9-7ABF023D2BC1.jpeg
    5BB134CA-6AC7-4CEC-8AC9-7ABF023D2BC1.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 166
I hit a drive shaft in the middle of the road, at night, and somehow lived.
I couldn't find any dents after several tries, then finally located it on both wheels days later.

Very minor and in my opinion, not worth the worry.
I sleep at night.

But that is me. You will have to decide for yourself.
Choose your battles wisely.

There are two companies out there that can straighten (take the dent out) that wheel, I've sent wheels with very visible dents in them to both companies and they made them perfect again, maybe even tighter TIR (Total Indicated Runout) than new. One of the companies is Frame Straight Systems, the other is Woody's Wheel Works. I think the repair cost was about $180. You have to strip down your wheel, remove the tire, brake rotors and don't forget to remove the TPMS!. Turn around time was about a week but give them a call.

Thank you TireGuy! Looks like a good resource.

Going to take to local dealership first. Get their opinion.

Not interested in replacing a wheel if not needed, however, I do have a zero deductible Tire/ Wheel warranty purchased at time of sale. Looking back now it was costly: $500 for 5 years so if I can take advantage of this I should.

I hit a rock & bent my front wheel much like you describe yours. Couldn't see abend or feel a bend your fingers. Could only feel a vibration at speed depending on road surface, at walking speed on a very smooth surface it a bad twitch in the handler bars. Could only see the bend when it was spun on a wheel balancer, it had a side to side motion of 1/8 - 3/16" maybe. Needless to say this happened out of state 2 weeks before heading to the 2019 Nationals.

I picked one up off ebay for $140.00 shipped from CA to AR.