• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DIY ECU Flashing now available

jkwool

Tricycle
Hi All,

First and foremost, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Justin Woolich from Woolich Racing (http://www.WoolichRacing.com). We've been designing and manufacturing DIY ECU Flashing interfaces, software and harnesses for a few years now, with Suzuki as our core market. About a year ago we ventured into the Kawasakis, mainly ZX6R, ZX10R and ZX14/R, later on adding the ER-6n, Z1000/Z1000SX. Just this last week we introduced the 1400GTR/Concours/ZG1400. :)

The following features have been opened up via our software (Woolich Racing Tuned http://www.woolichracing.com/tuned/ - check it out, it's free to download and there are some free Suzuki Bin File Definitions in there to give you an idea of what it's all about):

IAP Fuel Maps
TPS Fuel Maps
Ignition Maps
Secondary Throttle Plate (STP) Opening Maps
Fuel Trim Maps
Adjust RPM Limiters

We have a comprehensive Support Center http://www.woolichracing.com/SupportCenter.aspx and very active Support Forum http://www.woolichracing.com/forums/ for everyone from beginner to expert.

You can view our products for the Concours here: http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours/kawasaki-1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers,
-Justin.

Good morning, Justin. Welcome to the forum. Does your software allow for restoration of the stock configuration and storage of different setups? Any fail-safes built in to protect the learning curve or are you marketing to a presumed knowledgeable and track oriented group?

Good morning Justin,

This is cool. Thanks for posting this up.

I already have all of the Kawasaki cables to connect my laptop to both generations of the Concours-14, as well as several other models (ZX6R, ZX10R, etc). Will these cables work with your free software?

Would I just have to buy the BIN Definitions for my model bike?

Thanks,
Cory

Hi gPink. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, we have a return to stock option, additionally you can save as many different set-ups to your computer and flash them to the ECU when required.

If you have had your ECU flashed by a send-in ECU flashing service, you can unlock the ECU and read out the tuned bin file and save it as your starting point.

We also have a MapShare function https://www.woolichracing.com/mapshare/default.aspx where you can upload your tuned maps so others can download, try out and rate your tune.

Our customers range from regular road-riders through to champion drag racers, land speed record holders, and circuit racers. https://www.woolichracing.com/Testimonials.aspx

Rembrant said:
Good morning Justin,

This is cool. Thanks for posting this up.

I already have all of the Kawasaki cables to connect my laptop to both generations of the Concours-14, as well as several other models (ZX6R, ZX10R, etc). Will these cables work with your free software?

Would I just have to buy the BIN Definitions for my model bike?

Thanks,
Cory

Hi Cory,

Are they the Kawasaki diagnostic cables? If so, no they won't allow you to flash the ECU. You would need to purchase a Woolich Racing Mitsubishi USB Interface, harness and Bin File Definition for the particular model. This is best purchased as a package which is available on the following page: http://www.woolichracing.com/products/kawasaki/1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours/kawasaki-1400-gtr-zg-1400-concours-ecu-flashing.aspx#productTable

Cheers,
-Justin.

Justin, I have an '08 C14 with a ZX14 catless header and Muzzy dual cf exhaust, PCV with Autotune, flies out. With the expense I have tied up now, what benefits would your setup have to make me consider swapping.

jkwool said:
Are they the Kawasaki diagnostic cables? If so, no they won't allow you to flash the ECU. You would need to purchase a Woolich Racing Mitsubishi USB Interface, harness and Bin File Definition for the particular model.

-Justin.

Ok Justin,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my cables are the Kawasaki Diagnostic ones.

So, once you have the Mitsubishi USB Interface, you just need to buy a bike specific Bench Harness and Bin File Definition for each individual model? Do I understand this correctly?

Will the Kawasaki bike specific harnesses that I have now work with your Mitsubishi USB Interface?

I'm only trying to see how cheaply I can do this, and I wouldn't want to buy cables if the ones I have would already work, that's all;).

Cheers,
Cory

gPink said:
Justin, I have an '08 C14 with a ZX14 catless header and Muzzy dual cf exhaust, PCV with Autotune, flies out. With the expense I have tied up now, what benefits would your setup have to make me consider swapping.
With our ECU Flashing system, you get full access to both the IAP and TPS fuel maps, Ignition Maps, RPM Limiter, Secondary Throttle Plates (if you still have them) etc etc. For the one price you can do much more than what is available with add on modules. It is always better to make changes at the source inside the ECU, add on modules like power commander etc alter the signal outside the ECU between the ECU and the injectors.

Having said all of the above, you probably have a pretty well tuned set up as it is, so the advantage would be less than someone who may not have tuned their bike as much as you have. An advantage would be removing redundant add on boxes from your bike and doing everything inside the ECU.

I dont have a lot of specific experience with the Consours but i generally recommend leaving the Secondary Throttle Plates in, and tuning the opening maps as this allows you to better control the power delivery, the Secondary Throttles work to maintain the velocity of air flowing into the cylinders, particularly when you snap open the throttle, which leads to better torque etc.

Rembrant said:
jkwool said:
Are they the Kawasaki diagnostic cables? If so, no they won't allow you to flash the ECU. You would need to purchase a Woolich Racing Mitsubishi USB Interface, harness and Bin File Definition for the particular model.

-Justin.

Ok Justin,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my cables are the Kawasaki Diagnostic ones.

So, once you have the Mitsubishi USB Interface, you just need to buy a bike specific Bench Harness and Bin File Definition for each individual model? Do I understand this correctly?

Will the Kawasaki bike specific harnesses that I have now work with your Mitsubishi USB Interface?

I'm only trying to see how cheaply I can do this, and I wouldn't want to buy cables if the ones I have would already work, that's all;).

Cheers,
Cory
Yes once you have the Mitsubishi USB Interface, you just need the bench harness (or on bike harness if available) for the particular model/s as well as the bin file definitions in the Woolich Racing Tuned Software http://www.woolichracing.com/SupportCenter/Item/83/why-do-i-need-to-buy-a-bin-file-definition-i-already-own-the-bin-file-in-my-ecu.aspx

Some models of Kawasaki (e.g. ZX6R, Z1000R) use a Denso ECU which has a different flashing protocol and requires a Denso USB Interface.

No the diagnostic cables you have are only for diagnostic information, not for flashing the ECU, the flashing side of things is different to diagnostics and requires a harness specific to this application. Additionally we do not recommend using non Woolich Racing harnesses http://www.woolichracing.com/SupportCenter/Item/86/do-you-support-non-woolich-racing-interfaces-or-harnesses.aspx

Cheers
-Justin.

jkwool said:
With our ECU Flashing system, you get full access to both the IAP and TPS fuel maps, Ignition Maps, RPM Limiter, Secondary Throttle Plates (if you still have them) etc etc. For the one price you can do much more than what is available with add on modules. It is always better to make changes at the source inside the ECU, add on modules like power commander etc alter the signal outside the ECU between the ECU and the injectors.

Having said all of the above, you probably have a pretty well tuned set up as it is, so the advantage would be less than someone who may not have tuned their bike as much as you have. An advantage would be removing redundant add on boxes from your bike and doing everything inside the ECU.

I dont have a lot of specific experience with the Consours but i generally recommend leaving the Secondary Throttle Plates in, and tuning the opening maps as this allows you to better control the power delivery, the Secondary Throttles work to maintain the velocity of air flowing into the cylinders, particularly when you snap open the throttle, which leads to better torque etc.
There was no remap available when I pulled the secondaries so out they went. I understand the drawbacks to a piggyback fuel controller but since I already have it in place I'll leave it. It's my understanding that the secondaries restrict air flow rather than maintain velocity. I think if you look at the fly opening map they'll show full open at full throttle. The speed they open is regulated by TPS and ECU unless I'm mistaken.
Good luck with your sales and I'll look forward to reviews when forum members get on board.

Thanks for the replies Justin,

I would like to try a kit...just waiting for some of my other Kawasaki junk on Ebay to sell...lol, after my Paypal account is topped back up, I'll be in touch.

Of course...the Can/USA exchange rate is at it's lowest point in four years...ugh...lol. A US dollar costs me a buck ten right now:(.

Cheers,
Cory ;D

gPink said:
jkwool said:

There was no remap available when I pulled the secondaries so out they went. I understand the drawbacks to a piggyback fuel controller but since I already have it in place I'll leave it. It's my understanding that the secondaries restrict air flow rather than maintain velocity. I think if you look at the fly opening map they'll show full open at full throttle. The speed they open is regulated by TPS and ECU unless I'm mistaken.
Good luck with your sales and I'll look forward to reviews when forum members get on board.
The stock secondary map does restrict air flow down low as its too restrictive, but if you open them earlier you get the benefits maintaining air velocity while not restricting air flow, yes they are open 100% at full throttle in the upper RPM range. And thanks for your well wishes, we have been looking forward to adding these models for a while now as we have had quite a few inquiries.

Rembrant said:
Thanks for the replies Justin,

I would like to try a kit...just waiting for some of my other Kawasaki junk on Ebay to sell...lol, after my Paypal account is topped back up, I'll be in touch.

Of course...the Can/USA exchange rate is at it's lowest point in four years...ugh...lol. A US dollar costs me a buck ten right now:(.

Cheers,
Cory ;D
No problems :)

without reading into this much , it seems kinda the "EFI Live" i used on my GM products a few years ago...good stuff

Gumby said:
Hmm, interesting.

:popcorn:
Agreed!

I've been waiting for something like this to come along... Anxious to hear some C14 customers' feedback after they've fooled around with this setup and have some dyno time with it.
ZG, we're gonna need ya on this one buddy... :rotflmao:

Yes, we're going to need a report on a re-worked ECU on a green bike, a red bike, a black bike and the elusive gold bikes. Also one with silver wheels, black wheels and gold wheels.

:rotflmao:

Back to the original poster: is there any way to re- code the ECU to use O2 sensors as the non - US bikes do? I understand the sensor(s) would have to be added and wired to the ECU but I am assuming there is an input for them on the US bikes that is just not used?

Brian

LakeTrax said:
Agreed!

I've been waiting for something like this to come along... Anxious to hear some C14 customers' feedback after they've fooled around with this setup and have some dyno time with it.

This looks most excellent. I can not see a reason why not to give this a try. It is only money.

I should be ordering shortly.

So...

If I run my 2010 with the PC5 and Autotune like I intend to this spring and let it do it's thing with all of my mods installed, would I then be able to transfer my Power Commander map to my ECU using this Woolich software and cables?

This would be an ideal set-up for me, assuming I could of course put the ECU back to stock when I want to sell the bike later on;).

Looks like in the wrong hands this thing could be dangerous-lol.  In the right hands it could be fun!!!  For those of you looking for some screen shots check out the video OVERVIEW of the WRT Software, its the one that they suggest viewing. Make sure that you read and save the stock configuration, just in case-lol.

Overview of Woolich Racing Tuned Software

Fred

I really like the idea of this. I've had a couple newer Triumphs and used the TuneECU software to communicate and makes in changes in the OEM ECU. I thought it was fantastic. You could set the on temp for the rad fan, calibrate the speedo, and even check the throttle body's sync...I loved it.

I don't dislike the Guhl Reflash...it's just that it is an extremely expensive and time consuming option for me, and I have no control. At least with this set-up, you can do stuff yourself if you're so inclined.

If I can transfer the maps created in my Power Commander Autotune system into my Kawi ECU, and then return the ECU back to stock later on, I'm REALLY interested in this;).

Rembrant said:
So...

If I run my 2010 with the PC5 and Autotune like I intend to this spring and let it do it's thing with all of my mods installed, would I then be able to transfer my Power Commander map to my ECU using this Woolich software and cables?

This would be an ideal set-up for me, assuming I could of course put the ECU back to stock when I want to sell the bike later on;).

If you've already spent money for a PC5 & Autotune, it sounds to me like you shoulda waited to buy this setup and saved any left over $$$ for dyno time...

I have no idea how it actually works so I'm just brain-stormin' until Justin chimes in...

If you already have a specific map/s created by your PCV & Autotune... you should be able to duplicate them.?
I don't know how they are actually transferred, but you should be able to do it. Even if it is painstaking and time-consuming. It could be done manually, cell-by-cell right???

I'm just guessing here. This new setup could be C14-progress I'm lookin' for!

LakeTrax said:
If you've already spent money for a PC5 & Autotune, it sounds to me like you shoulda waited to buy this setup and saved any left over $$$ for dyno time...

I have no idea how it actually works so I'm just brain-stormin' until Justin chimes in...

If you already have a specific map/s created by your PCV & Autotune... you should be able to duplicate them.?
I don't know how they are actually transferred, but you should be able to do it. Even if it is painstaking and time-consuming. It could be done manually, cell-by-cell right???

Good morning Mr. LakeTrax,

Part of my problem is that the closest dyno is 225 miles away, so getting my bike 'properly' tuned is not easy. The Fuelmoto maps for the PC5 are already proven and do work very well, so I'm totally ok with them anyway.

However, I would prefer to not have the PC5 and Autotune piggy-backed on the bike if the ECU can be tuned.

I think having a custom map for my bike created with the Autotune (with the Fuelmoto map as a base point), and then transferring it to my own ECU is the IDEAL setup.

It can be done, I'm just not familiar with the process is all. Fred used a PC5 and Autotune to help fine-tune the Guhl maps, so the info was gathered and transferred at some point.

I've got a couple Ebay auctions ending soon, so if I can make any money on my existing junk, I'll order one of these kits.

Now, if I could place an order to get rid of the snow and sub-zero temps, I'd be all over THAT like white on rice!! ;D

turbo-max said:
without reading into this much , it seems kinda the "EFI Live" i used on my GM products a few years ago...good stuff
yes it is similar to some of the programs available for cars. We have been specializing in bikes for 3 or 4 years, we started with Suzuki's, the Hayabusa and GSX-R's in particular, but we have branched out quite a lot since.

BDF said:
Yes, we're going to need a report on a re-worked ECU on a green bike, a red bike, a black bike and the elusive gold bikes. Also one with silver wheels, black wheels and gold wheels.

:rotflmao:

Back to the original poster: is there any way to re- code the ECU to use O2 sensors as the non - US bikes do? I understand the sensor(s) would have to be added and wired to the ECU but I am assuming there is an input for them on the US bikes that is just not used?

Brian

LakeTrax said:
Agreed!

This is not currently available, the stock O2 sensor is a narrowband O2 sensor as well which is not particularly accurate for tuning. We have initially released a bench harness for the ZG 1400, which allows you to plug directly into the ECU plug.

LSGiant said:
This looks most excellent. I can not see a reason why not to give this a try. It is only money.

I should be ordering shortly.
Ok great, look forward to your order, I would be willing to do a discount for the first couple of sales, so PM me if you are interested.

Rembrant said:
So...

We plan to implement a PC5 map import function which would allow you to import your autotuned PC5 map and apply it to the fuel maps in the ECU. There are some guys on the ZX-10r.net forum doing this at the moment with a spreadsheet and it is working well for them.

Rembrant said:
I really like the idea of this. I've had a couple newer Triumphs and used the TuneECU software to communicate and makes in changes in the OEM ECU. I thought it was fantastic. You could set the on temp for the rad fan, calibrate the speedo, and even check the throttle body's sync...I loved it.

I don't dislike the Guhl Reflash...it's just that it is an extremely expensive and time consuming option for me, and I have no control. At least with this set-up, you can do stuff yourself if you're so inclined.

If I can transfer the maps created in my Power Commander Autotune system into my Kawi ECU, and then return the ECU back to stock later on, I'm REALLY interested in this;).
If you have already had you ECU flashed by a send in service, they generally lock your ECU, which is a bit of a pain, but we have implemented an unlock feature which allows you to unlock the ECU and read out the tuned bin file in the ECU. You can then save this and use it as your starting point. it is also interesting to see what the send in services do for the money :)

We supply the stock bin files in the WRT software, so you can always return your ECU to stock, as it came from the factory. Before you go to write to the ECU, the software does a bunch of checks to ensure that we have the bin file, if we dont it will prompt you to send the bin file to us, so we can add it to the software, this ensures we have all of the stock bin files available and you can always return to exactly stock.

LakeTrax said:
Rembrant said:
So...

Yes you can translate the PC5 maps to the ECU maps, it gets a little tricky as the Throttle Position Column Headers are different, but with a bit of simple maths you can translate the values over.

LakeTrax said:
Rembrant said:
So...

The other cool thing we have in place is the Woolich Racing Map Share https://www.woolichracing.com/MapShare/default.aspx, this allows you to upload tuned maps and list the mods you have done to the bike, other users can then subscribe to the MapShare and download and apply it to their bin files. We try to encourage a community around our products so everyone can work together to get the most out of their bikes.

OK, thought it would have been a wideband sensor so yep, that's not going to work very well anyway.

Thanks for the info. and I will be watching this thread and your website for further developments. Great products by the way, glad to see someone release this ability to the final customer.

Brian

jkwool said:
This is not currently available, the stock O2 sensor is a narrowband O2 sensor as well which is not particularly accurate for tuning. We have initially released a bench harness for the ZG 1400, which allows you to plug directly into the ECU plug.

Just thought i would update the main thread with some common questions i have been receiving from personal messages.

Q: Do i have to purchase anything else if i buy the kit from your web site
A: No the 1400 GTR - ZG 1400 (Concours) USB Interface and Bench Harness Package has all the parts you need including Mitsubishi USB Interface, Bench Harness and Bin File Definitions in WRT software, you will however need to supply a 12v power supply when using the bench harness http://www.woolichracing.com/SupportCenter/Item/38/what-12-volt-power-supply-do-i-need-to-power-my-bench-harness.aspx

Q: Am i able to make changes to the bin file later when i modify my bike, is there any charge for this
A: Yes you can make changes to the bin file later, this is the whole benefit of being able to flash the ECU yourself, as you modify or update the bike you can continue to improve the tune over time, there is no charge to flash your ECU additional times and you can save each version of the bin file to your computer and come back to them later if you dont like the changes you have made etc.

Q: Can i flash the ECU back to stock
A: Yes you can flash the ECU back to stock, when you first hook up to write to the ECU we check to make sure we have the exact stock bin file that is in your ECU, if we dont currently have the bin file the software will automatically read out the bin file and prompt you to send it through to us so we can add it.

As i mentioned earlier we are doing a special introductory price for the first 3 customers who purchase the new product from us. if you want to take advantage of this, please PM me your email address and i will send you an invoice via paypal with the discounted price.

Its a good discount. If you are interested in buying please email the vendor for how much. That is the vendors request.

Got my order in, but unfortunately I have to live with snow and ice for the next couple of months.  Maybe I can get a reflash for my skis to make them faster too?

Cold Streak said:
Got my order in, but unfortunately I have to live with snow and ice for the next couple of months.

:stupid: Me too...lol. The snow and ice is gone....for now...lol, but it'll be back;)

This will be good winter entertainment. :great:

Ok..... It may have been stated already and I may have overlooked it......

With this kit, can you properly tune without a dyno?
Is there a Wide Band O2 Sensor part of this setup so that you can capture the A/F ratio and a given RPM/Throttle Possion,etc...?
If no Wide Band O2 Sensor as part of this kit, is there a way to incorporate one?

Edited: Just was looking at the Woodich site and basically got my question answered. But I have another one.

jkwool, Is there a possibility of a Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi) LBPM for the C14?  :)

If so, couldn't the use of a Log Box Pro and a WB O2 enable us to have a closed loop system?

The Pope said:
Ok..... It may have been stated already and I may have overlooked it......

With this kit, can you properly tune without a dyno?
Is there a Wide Band O2 Sensor part of this setup so that you can capture the A/F ratio and a given RPM/Throttle Possion,etc...?
If no Wide Band O2 Sensor as part of this kit, is there a way to incorporate one?

Edited: Just was looking at the Woodich site and basically got my question answered. But I have another one.

jkwool, Is there a possibility of a Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi) LBPM for the C14?  :)

If so, couldn't the use of a Log Box Pro and a WB O2 enable us to have a closed loop system?
Hi yes the Log Box Pro (mitsubishi) will work with the C14, we have sold to a couple to customers who contacted us directly about it. We have not finished manufacture of the on bike harnesses yet which is why you wont find them listed on the products page but we can make up a harness if anyone would like to order the full Log Box Pro (Mitsubishi) kit with harness for the C14. Just use the Contact Us form to request this http://www.woolichracing.com/ContactUs.aspx

We have found that you get better results with tuning if you log data over time, analyze and then apply the changes to the fuel maps. Real Time tuning is fraught with difficulties, with factors like exhaust gas offset etc making it difficult for a close loop system to work effectively, especially on a performance oriented bike engine. basically there is a finite amount of time between when a cylinder fires and when the gas from this arrives at the O2 sensor to pick up the AFR. So if you then adjust the fueling based on this information, it is kinda too late as the engine has already moved onto a different part of the map.

In the AutoTune in Woolich Racing Tuned software we have Exhaust Gas Offset compensation built in as it is possible to do this after the fact with logged data, we also use filtering and statistical techniques and various map smoothing options to analyze the data and suggest the most appropriate changes to the fuel maps that will work in various conditions.

oh holy hell!  :-\

so tempting, but then there goes my summer!  :truce:

Are there any pre defined bins available? Kinda thinking this is a bit too much to dive into as a novice.  ???

Hey Rem, LSGiant and Cold Streak- Its been a few months since your order. Was wondering what you thought of the product. I was planning on sending my ECU to Guhl's or buying a PV5 with the auto tune for Christmas this year, then I saw this.....  >:D
Anything you can tell us, the good, the bad or the ugly??? ???

Thanks,

Jon

I have to admit I haven't touched it.  I sold a house, bought a lake home and don't have wifi at either of my new houses.  So apart from being too busy with the other stuff, I couldn't do anything right now if I wanted.  Not much of a report for you.  I know Rembrandt has done a lot of work and I think LSGiant played with his at a tech session. 

All I want to do right now is open the secondary flies and richen it up slightly.  In the future when I do more exhaust mod's I will have to add more fuel also.

WOW  :-\ :-\ ! Sounds like you have been busy.... No worries, just wondering as this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks,

Jon

Not much for recent activity here.  What are people getting for results with this setup?  Any tutorials or step by step instructions available so I can get an idea what I'd be in for if I went this route?

Thanks!

I have not done anything but take the speed limiter out. The challenge with this system is you have to create your own maps. As the tuners can tell you this takes a lot of time.  I just have not had the the time. System does what it says and if you have a little knowledge of excel it is easy to create your maps but there are lots of things to take in account and you need to understand how your engine management system works so you create a drivable map. If I was drag racing a bike this would be super cool as I could create the maps for a certain application. For all the different demands of every day driving it is much more complicated.

LSGiant said:
I have not done anything but take the speed limiter out. The challenge with this system is you have to create your own maps. As the tuners can tell you this takes a lot of time.  I just have not had the the time. System does what it says and if you have a little knowledge of excel it is easy to create your maps but there are lots of things to take in account and you need to understand how your engine management system works so you create a drivable map. If I was drag racing a bike this would be super cool as I could create the maps for a certain application. For all the different demands of every day driving it is much more complicated.
It appears you can extract and save the original tune.  If that is the case then there is little harm in making changes since you can always "get it back" to where it was.  A lot of small changes can be made and evaluated without much fear or trepidation.  Knowledge is the greater tool, but like the old adage says, "Good tuning comes from experience.  Difficult part is, experience comes from bad tuning."  Or something to that effect.  ;D

I do not recommend that someone that doesn't have a clue about how the internal engine operates to start tuning on their umpteen thousand dollar vehicle, but anyone with some degree of smarts should be able to learn to do this stuff if they apply themselves for a few weeks/months/years (there's no end to the learning).

I think I would rather pay for a known good fuel and spark map from a guy like Steve rather than try to figure it out myself and end up toasting my engine by going too lean on the mix.