• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do any COG folks also have a ZX-14?

raydog

Just curious, I love my 2014 Connie but when I ran into a 2012 ZX 14 R ABS, loaded with stuff I love, well, I'm driving 1000 miles to Phoenix to pick it up! Does anyone else have one?

Attachments

• zx 14r.jpg
    zx 14r.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 199
  • connie 2.jpg
    connie 2.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 231
I demoed one at Daytona Bike Week a few years ago

It was the regular ZX-14, not the 'R'

I determined it was a blast, but I could never own one

I really felt I wouldn't have the self control to ride it normal

Most on here probably have a hard enough time keeping points off the license with the Connie! That green machine looks tight!!! I just have a lil old Zed Ex 10 for those days wen I want less heft. Enjoy the 14!

I've got a 2015 C-14 and a 2016 ZX-14R SE. I bought the ZX-14 before I found out about Steve's flashes and got one. At that point I realized that I had needlessly spent the money for the ZX-14. The re-flashed C-14 covers 95% of all my needs/wants. I have made a lot of mods/farkles to the C-14 and really love it. The ZX-14 is an even more extreme machine for those times when I really get the "itch". If I only rode the ZX-14 all the time I probably wouldn't have my license... The C-14 is just a more well-rounded, versatile performance bike. Like many others, I refer to my C-14 as my "Fat Ninja". Although I am glad I have the ZX-14, at this point I wouldn't be distraught if I didn't. The re-flashed heavily farkled Connie is that good...(y)

Just curious, I love my 2014 Connie but when I ran into a 2012 ZX 14 R ABS, loaded with stuff I love, well, I'm driving 1000 miles to Phoenix to pick it up! Does anyone else have one?
Raydog,
Check under the ZX14 and see if she’s leaking oil. Note on photo there are numerous rear tire tracks with oil witness marks and in multiple locations on floor.

Even if not from the ZX14 be careful, oil on tires not great idea.

Crawl under it and see if the oil pan is dented up or scratched up bad. If so it has been lowered and drag raced. I asked because it looks like it has a steering stabilizer on it, you don't need one on that bike unless you're drag racing it. Ask if the oil pump cover has been replaced, the OEM are well known to flex at high rpm(drag racing or constant top speed runs) and let oil pressure drop, causing the #3 bearings to starve for oil, you'll notice flakes in your oil and filter.

Watch this video fro the 1:25 mark, it shows you how to check for clutch wear by looking through the oil fill hole.

Good luck on your purchase, if the oil pump cover hasn't been replaced with a billet unit and you buy the bike, change it. One of my friends is a tech at a Kawi dealer and it's the first mod he tells people to do on the ZX14.

I enjoyed my 2010, but traded it off for my C14.

Attachments

• 20200808_125021.jpg
    20200808_125021.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 145
Thanks so much everybody for your input. I'm pulling the trigger on this one because I can! Been through a couple Busas and always wanted a ZX, that DOES NOT mean that I don't love my Connie though!

Back when I joined COG, I had a ZX14. Pretty sure I rode it to my first National too. Should have kept it.

I have a 2008 ZX14. I wish I had more power. 200 horsepower isn't really that much. I can convert the H2R title to street but the price isn't reasonable for the little bit of use I'll give it

ZX14 cockpit is a mite too cramped for me, though if I can get the right deal on one I'm going to make a few adjustments. As it is I like the C14's ability to carry stuff, so I'd have to investigate similar luggage for a ZX.

I've ridden the various ZX14 models a decent amount over the years. Can get myself into trouble with either of my C14s just as easily, although the ZX is slightly quicker doing it.

Just a paltry '05 ZX-10 as my light artillery for road assaults. Road a ZX-14 tuned and set up for drags once. Whoa!!

Just bought a 2012 ZX-14R with only 4000 miles on it, about 2 months ago. I didn't think that I would like the riding position, but it actually feels good on my back. It seems to me like it is a much smoother bike than my C14, which I really don't understand since it is chain driven. It shifts much smoother than my C14. It may be the best bike that I have ever owned, but I am still in the honeymoon stage. I love the torque.

I didn't think that I would like the riding position, but it actually feels good on my back.
This right here is why I'm becoming more and more partial to my C14s. I've thrown a leg over a LOT of two wheelers throughout the years and I just don't have the discomfort with the Connie that I do with some other bikes.

The new Indians were by far the worst. I'd need to do a lot of suspension/seat work before taking one of those on an extended jaunt.

Just bought a 2012 ZX-14R with only 4000 miles on it, about 2 months ago. I didn't think that I would like the riding position, but it actually feels good on my back. It seems to me like it is a much smoother bike than my C14, which I really don't understand since it is chain driven. It shifts much smoother than my C14. It may be the best bike that I have ever owned, but I am still in the honeymoon stage. I love the torque.
Is the ZX-14 ECU flashed and C-14 not, that could be a huge difference.

I have wondered if I should have gone with a ZX-14. My thoughts are the C-14 is more than enough for me and a mostly street ridden machine.

Is the ZX-14 ECU flashed and C-14 not, that could be a huge difference.

I have wondered if I should have gone with a ZX-14. My thoughts are the C-14 is more than enough for me and a mostly street ridden machine.
The ZX-14R has no flash, Muzzy mufflers with OEM header.

My C14 has a full aftermarket exhaust system with a flash. I am very satisfied with the amount of power that my C14 has. The C14 has all I need and then some, but the power of the ZX-14R just makes it that much more fun.

I am moving onto my 3rd Gen 1 Busa ( 2002 ) at this time by swapping my 05 Gen 1 motor into it because it got a little beat up. I really like the 2010 Connie with the upgrades it came with. The Connie also has plenty of power for my taste... however... the full exhaust and Steves flash has me tempted more often than not. I do have the slip on for now.