• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dog Days, 2020 Marlinton, WV

Ok, rooms are blocked!

Call 304 799 4711
Mention Concours Owners Group.

1 person the rate will be 53.63 plus 6.44 tax 60.07 total
2 people it would be 63.63 plus 7.64 tax.71.27 total per night

Book Those Rooms!
Jason

Back to MMI - sounds like a plan.  Great parking lot tire kicking set up with restaurant kinda place!

On my sked but not sure enough yet to know when will be there and book room --- will do later once 2020 firms up.

Dusty_Strom said:
Back to MMI - sounds like a plan.  Great parking lot tire kicking set up with restaurant kinda place!

On my sked but not sure enough yet to know when will be there and book room --- will do later once 2020 firms up.

The Inn is under new Mgt and they have started making improvements to the facility. WiFi through out! Some room renovations..........Pool fixed.
Should be fun!
jason

Ooorah!

I always liked that place, town, and area. You’re surrounded by so much good riding opportunities, whether it is on gravel, dirt, or road. I’ve definitely taken advantage of it when I’ve been over that way. YOU should too. As Jason says, “Book those rooms!”

Looking forward to this one and trust I’m still on top of the grass come August 2020.

I've never been to a Dog Days Rally before & I'm thinking it's going to be part of the wife & I's places to go for our 25th Anniversary vacation for 2020 & I might have to get a trailer for my bike!  :motonoises:

They're a fun time Karl. Yinz would enjoy it.

2006 Edition, which was also in Marlinton:
COG%20Group%20%2311-XL.jpg

2008 Edition (Boyer Station, WV):
Group01a-XL.jpg

2012 Edition (Marlinton) Yeah, it does rain in WV occasionally:
2012%20dog%20days%20001-XL.jpg

https://pocahontascountywv.com/featured-fun/top-3-scenic-drives-in-pocahontas-county-wv

Must do rides in the area........
jason

gsjay said:
Ok, rooms are blocked!

Call 304 799 4711

Book Those Rooms!
Jason

Done!

Actually, looking forward to seeing you there Jay!

I've been wanting to go back to West Virginia since my trip through it during the 25th National at Johnson City...

I hope someone else from NE goes down as well... Would be nice to do some of the trip with someone from the area...

Cheers!

Redlion61 said:
gsjay said:
Ok, rooms are blocked!

Call 304 799 4711

Book Those Rooms!
Jason

Done!

Actually, looking forward to seeing you there Jay!

I've been wanting to go back to West Virginia since my trip through it during the 25th National at Johnson City...

I hope someone else from NE goes down as well... Would be nice to do some of the trip with someone from the area...

Cheers!

You need to start recruiting somene to join you.........
Nice 2 day ride down.
See you soon.
Jason

Maryann and I are hoping to attend Dog Days.  We have just not pulled the trigger, yet.

OK, Barb & I are registered & our room is booked & we're looking forward to the trip there & we're coming early so if help is needed Thursday w/ anything let me know & see everyone there & ride/drive safe!  :great:

Room booked, and registered.

Looking forward to this event.

EDIT: Need to thank Mr. Schenkel for reminding me to get off my duff to get a room, and register.

Been registered for awhile and finally booked a room.  Love the WV roads!  I am planning on doing mostly secondary roads on the way down if anyone is interested in teaming up.

Coop

FWIW - From the Inn, you’re:

39 miles from Cass Scenic Rail Road (rides and tours)
2010%20FOJ%20Ride%20Boyer%20016-XL.jpg

Img_2749-L.jpg

Another 8.3 miles will put you at Green Bank Radio Observatory (tours)
green%20bank-L.jpg

74 miles from the New River Gorge Bridge
new%20river-L.jpg

64 miles from the Swiss village of Helvetia and the Hutte Restaurant (good eats), slightly shorter if you take gravel forest roads
2013%20Follow%20Your%20Bliss%20Helvetia%2C%20WV%20008-XL.jpg

75 miles to Spruce Knob, highest peak in WV
Img_2734-XL.jpg

IMG_2739-XL.jpg

24 miles to Droop Mountain Battlefield Park
IMG_2710-XL.jpg

23 miles to Beartown State Park
IMG_2722-XL.jpg

IMG_2723-XL.jpg

53 miles to the Greenbriar Resort and bunker tours
https://www.greenbrier.com/Activities-Events/Bunker-Tours-(1).aspx

100 miles to the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum (tours)
weston1-XL.jpg

weston2-XL.jpg

And the list goes on....................

It is really good to see COG NE and the Dog Days Weekend return to WV after a several year hiatus. What a great area to visit and ride in - COGNE has a long history of activities there, evidenced by Guy's photos. This activity is on my RADAR, but have to work on PTO before committing.

gsjay said:
You need to start recruiting somene to join you.........
Nice 2 day ride down.
See you soon.
Jason

I tried. Asked Sailor Rich, he wasn't sure. I'm seeing the East Ontario guys at a get together in March, I'll see if I can't get others to come...

In my case, it's convenient, I take my Summer vacation during that time...

We shall see...

Have to see how my calendar comes together but had a great time there.  Hopefully I can make it happen! :motonoises:

Guy,
Nice pictures............
Folks don't forget about the great riding in the region. Route 219, 150 & back mountain are right at the Motel.

Also, a loop of 39 west to 252, north to Staunton for Lunch and then back west on 250 and south on 219 back to Marlinton is pretty tough to beat!!
Here's a nice video of route 39 from Warm Springs VA to Lexington, Va.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBe8N5AwCL8

Here is a link to some routes on the local CVB's website.
https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/motorcycle-touring

Jason

gsjay said:
Guy,
Nice pictures............
Folks don't forget about the great riding in the region. Route 219, 150 & back mountain are right at the Motel.

Also, a loop of 39 west to 252, north to Staunton for Lunch and then back west on 250 and south on 219 back to Marlinton is pretty tough to beat!!
Here's a nice video of route 39 from Warm Springs VA to Lexington, Va.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBe8N5AwCL8

Here is a link to some routes on the local CVB's website.

Jason

FWIW - Back Mountain (Road) is Rte. 1 in map-speak. It'll run you up to Cass, then on up to Durbin for yet, another train ride opportunity on the Durbin Rocket.

https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/durbin-greenbrier-valley-rr

Not too many miles, but don't expect to break any speed records - it gets pretty tight and twisty in some places.

I spent Friday eveing at the Marlinton Motor Inn..............
The new owners continue to make improvements.
They have redone all the walk ways and steps on the back units with TREX!
Beautiful!
Also go to see the "model Room" showing off the new design/color scheme that they are going with. Very nice!
Can't wait to go back.
Dog Days is still ON so BOOK THOSE ROOMS!
jason
cog 32

And if I am not mistaken out there in the rain in this photo are  .... of course just as you would expect .... Roger and Tom!!  :)

connieklr said:
2012 Edition (Marlinton) Yeah, it does rain in WV occasionally:
2012%20dog%20days%20001-XL.jpg

Russell W Fleming said:
Looking at bring a couple other friends along that have never been there area riding.

Great area to show folks................
See you soon.
jason

Just spent another great weekend in Marlionton, WV..........

Actually sat at a bar and ate dinner!  No social distancing in God's Country!

We have 15 rooms booked at the Motor Inn to date. Girl says only about 10 rooms still avaliable in the WHOLE place for that weekend.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS NOW! you can cancel if you can't make it.

See you soon,
jason

Reservation made for Friday and Saturday :)

Boosthund (Paul) and I are in!  Believe Roger123 (aka The Navigator)and TommyHof (aka Tom the Brave) are in as well.  :beerchug:

Who knows --- maybe those Crazy Canadians will show as well .... :motonoises:

Hey gang, Hope you had a nice 4th of July..............

I just talked to the Motor Inn. BIG NEWS!!!

THE POOL IS OPEN!!!!!!
Nothing like a bunch of Fat Coggers lounging around the pool........

15 rooms booked, 5 avaliable.
BOOK THOSE ROOMS.
Jason

Joanne and I spent the weekend in Marlinton at the Motor Inn. Here's an update.

You must wear a face covering into any Business in the state of WV.

The Restaurant is open, working with Covid protocol! Limited seating etc. We ordered take out and enjoyed in at a picnic table.
Folks please keep this in mind, the restaurant is operating at limit capacity with Limit Staff. Please be PATIENT!
There are 3 other restaurants in town, a Subway and a Dairy Queen.
The bar at the Inn is closed, you can order beer in the restaurant.
The Pool is open.

Gas Station/Convinence store next door is open. But don't expect a Sheets or WaWa.

The riding in the area continues to be AWSOME!!!!
219 North & South is great! 39 east and west is great! The Highland Scenic Highway is great!
We rode to Lewisburg WV on Saturday and had a great time and Lunch at Del Sol Cafe. I recommend it!

Oh, and the Mountain's won't disappoint cooling you off! Saturday morning it was 65 degrees at 4000' elevation. Even if you're coming from somewhere that's it been oppressivly hot, pack something for under your riding Jacket.

There are still some rooms avaliable.
I'm working on some firewood for a fire Saturday evening. Bring your chair if you can.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Let's hope the Covid situation gets better.
Jason

Jay,
Myself, Dave Anderson, Tim Steele and Dan Hermes will all be there as well! Looking forward to getting in some great riding and catching up with old friends.
Matt

well wife & I decided even if the COG rally gets canceled like everything else has been lately  :mad: & they allow travel between states w/out shooting us we're still going to Marlinton, WV for 10 days to do some sightseeing as we've never been to WV & we need to go! :)

Wish I had put in for the days for this one now that the Fall Rally is kaput. :'(

Too late now unfortunately.  Had a blast back in 2012 and got to see the Greenbriar Bunker! :great:

Have fun folks! :motonoises:

Silver Wolf said:
well wife & I decided even if the COG rally gets canceled like everything else has been lately  :mad: & they allow travel between states w/out shooting us we're still going to Marlinton, WV for 10 days to do some sightseeing as we've never been to WV & we need to go! :)

for certain, even if it is cancelled, go and visit Marlinton area.. it has spectacular riding in every direction, well worth the time and effort, and if you camp, you can always find somewhere to pitch a tent. always been a sweet spot for me to visit, and everyone is kind there..

Silver Wolf said:

You've never been to West Virginia? Oh my you're going to love it!
Start with these.
https://www.canaanvalley.org/
http://www.grantcountycvb.com/Grant_County_Motorcyle.html

Jason

Looking forward to this ride.  I’ll be heading up from the Beach on Wed to get a few extra days of riding in.

Roger 123 said:
Looking forward to this ride.  I’ll be heading up from the Beach on Wed to get a few extra days of riding in.

Roger I have people asking for GPS routes in the area........you got any to share?

jason

Jason thanks for the info & we have driven thru WV before & we said then that it had to be a bucket list place to go visit & as U know Barb is a non M/C rider so all the sightseeing will be in the cage & if some COG'ers show up next weekend I'll be spending some time riding w/ ya all if U can keep up w/ my Harley!  :))  :motonoises:

You've never been to West Virginia? Oh my you're going to love it!
Start with these.
https://www.canaanvalley.org/
http://www.grantcountycvb.com/Grant_County_Motorcyle.html

Jason
[/quote]

COG members can access ride routes from past WV events that are posted in the COG Library NE Area Ride & Event Info section. Perform a search of the library using these search strings... "Dog Days", "Marlinton", "Boyer Station", and Canaan Valley".

gsjay said:
Roger 123 said:

Roger I have people asking for GPS routes in the area........you got any to share?

jason

I do have some, if anyone wants to email me at someror@gmail.com I can send them.  They will have dirt, water crossings, and dead ends though, LOL.  I'll try and weed those out as best as I can.

Dog Days Update 08/10/20
There are still a few rooms avaliable.
Bring you mask!
Bring a chair if you can.
Plan on Practicing Social Distancing!
Expecting a good crowd!
See you in Marlinton.
jason

In response to Jason, you can't park your motorcycle on the grounds, but if Pat Sprage is leading your group you can drive up to the valet parking area and they will politely tell you that the parking area is across the street.  Just saying :-\

Anyone thinking about a train Ride while in WV?

https://mountainrailwv.com/#/

See you soon.
jason

Boy's and Girl's...............

Pack your rain suits.
Scattered Thunder Storms all weekend but you can hide in the mountains!

Jason

gsjay said:
Boy's and Girl's...............

Pack your rain suits.
Scattered Thunder Storms all weekend but you can hide in the mountains!

Jason

Just checked in, starting to rain now.  Pretty dark looking sky out there.

Getting rained on at Shawnee State Park in PA. Arrive Marlinton tomorrow. Will be dodging the weather (hopefully).

gMitch said:
Getting rained on at Shawnee State Park in PA. Arrive Marlinton tomorrow. Will be dodging the weather (hopefully).

Shawnee SP. 20 miles from my house.......................
Should have called.
jason

David_Fridirici_PA said:
In response to Jason, you can't park your motorcycle on the grounds, but if Pat Sprage is leading your group you can drive up to the valet parking area and they will politely tell you that the parking area is across the street.  Just saying :-\

Yup, or you can come in from the woods behind. Just don't ride across the golf course!  ;)

Hmmm?

No comments from the peanut gallery on how the Dog Days Rally went in Marlinton this past w/e?

It was probably a little wet. We had some major flooding in our area that caused a large number of road closures.

I was signed up, registered, and had a room booked, but cancelled several weeks before. Just not comfortable with the continued spread of the virus and way most folks don’t really give a poo one way or the other as far as their health, or what they might spread on to the rest of us that are up in years and might be a little more susceptible.

Stoopid!

Guy - Jason posted up comments and pics on Facebook

connieklr said:
Hmmm?

No comments from the peanut gallery on how the Dog Days Rally went in Marlinton this past w/e?

It was probably a little wet. We had some major flooding in our area that caused a large number of road closures.

I was signed up, registered, and had a room booked, but cancelled several weeks before. Just not comfortable with the continued spread of the virus and way most folks don’t really give a poo one way or the other as far as their health, or what they might spread on to the rest of us that are up in years and might be a little more susceptible.

Stoopid!

Guy,
We had a nice weekend.........I think about 30 riders in total. Some bailed to the forecast.
Thursday and Friday saw good weather, with the late afternoon thunder storms.
Saturday started Wet and pretty much stayed wet. Some didn't leave the motel.
I put 200 miles on heading to Staunton. Half the miles in the rain, all the miles on wet roads. Good Lunch in town.
Saturday evening we gave out some door prizes that Steve sent us.
All in attendance liked Marlinton so we booked the same weekend for next year.
Hopefully Covid Free!
jason

gsjay said:
Guy,
We had a nice weekend.........I think about 30 riders in total. Some bailed to the forecast.
Thursday and Friday saw good weather, with the late afternoon thunder storms.
Saturday started Wet and pretty much stayed wet. Some didn't leave the motel.
I put 200 miles on heading to Staunton. Half the miles in the rain, all the miles on wet roads. Good Lunch in town.
Saturday evening we gave out some door prizes that Steve sent us.
All in attendance liked Marlinton so we booked the same weekend for next year.
Hopefully Covid Free!
jason

Thank you.