• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Drag Racing

Gypsy JR

When I finally get a new bike in 2012, I think I might keep my ZX14 and turn it into a fuelie drag bike. Been thinking about it a while.

Would be fun to strip it down, send the engine to Carpenter Racing, then to A&A for a supercharger, dump the radiator and switch to alcohol, bigger throttlebodies, push button shifting, drag slick, wheelie bars, etc.

I have a few drag strips within an hour's drive that run 1/4 mile mostly, and they run bracket stuff when they don't have sanctioned meets going. I don't want to compete with the top fuel bikes, so I'm not going AMA. Been there, done that. Its expensive.

Would just be fun to hobby bracket race because the crowds go wild for wild drag bikes. Heh.

Wurx fer me.  Go for it.

Better yet, just put on a mild turbo set-up, run 10 psi boost and make more power than carpenter can get you for three times as much scratch.  Just sayin...    ;D

Just saying, I'll get Carpenter to go Stage 3 beserk on it, then have A&A put a supercharger on it, and eat turbo bikes alive. Even without converting to alcohol. Heh.

But I definitely want to go to alcohol because the weight savings of dumping the radiator, fan, and coolant will help a lot.

Would you fill the block?  The head?  As for eating turbo bikes.... well, you'll eat a lot more money than they will for sure, but you might be seriously surprised when it comes to torque and HP, turbos are doing rather well these days in drag racing.  Granted I always run roots type chargers (Mooneyham) on my alcohol cars, but I'd seriously have to look into some big snails if I was still trying to play that game (it's been almost ten years since my last pass so I'm not abreast of current goings on). 

What are you thinking about running for a chasis? Swingarm and tire?  I was assuming you were going to use the better part of the ZX14.  Is that still your plan?  If so, how much power do you think you can put through it?

Rev Ryder said:
Would you fill the block?  The head?  As for eating turbo bikes.... well, you'll eat a lot more money than they will for sure, but you might be seriously surprised when it comes to torque and HP, turbos are doing rather well these days in drag racing.  Granted I always run roots type chargers (Mooneyham) on my alcohol cars, but I'd seriously have to look into some big snails if I was still trying to play that game (it's been almost ten years since my last pass so I'm not abreast of current goings on). 

What are you thinking about running for a chasis? Swingarm and tire?  I was assuming you were going to use the better part of the ZX14.  Is that still your plan?  If so, how much power do you think you can put through it?

Yes, she is going dry of coolant completely. The new superchargers that A&A Performance is using are much less expensive than I remember from 10 years ago, and the specifications are top notch. I also wonder what Kawasaki is doing, there is credible rumor that there will be a 1440cc 2012, but also that KHI might be set to release a supercharged version with more displacement based on their other powersports vehicles. They took patents out on several things related to supercharging a motorcycle, and usually you don't do that unless you want to stuff Suzuki into a corner and beat on them mercilessly.

Obviously, and extended swingarm and chain idler, drag slick, new sub-frame, new forks, new shock, etc.

I like turbocharged engines, my little Porsche had twin spinners on it, and when boost came up it was amazing. But I've had two supercharged cars, and they developed boost in a lot more linear, predictable manner. Both have advantages.

But more importantly, I have to get a new bike first to ride for fun. I'm considering a C14, but I need to find one to sit on (dealer has zero) and understand the seating position. I sat on a K1600GTL and an HD Ultra and could flat foot both of them. And the seating position was perfect.