• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Driving light mount

Redbarron

Street Cruiser
Hello everyone:

Does anyone have a photo or photos of the bracket for their driving lamps?
Looks like a bar or tube that runs under the nose of the fairing then the lights mount on the ends.

Just purchased a set PIAA 5370's but I need to figure out how the mounting system is designed.

Thank You All I will post detailed picks during the surgery.

I had my brackets custom made as I was running PIAA 910 lamos and they are rather large. They'd likely be overkill for most anything else.

I believe Snarf also makes fairing-mount brackets that look like they would handle many of the smaller lights available these days.

Thank You Guys, but I am to cheap to spend a $100.00 on something I could fab up from $20.00 worth of hardware.

Hence a photo of the mounting itself, I will be back in the shop Saturday to install my PIAA 530 lamps and do some repairs.

I will post pictures of the project for future reference.

Thank You

If I recall correctly, Larry uses the fairing mount up and behind the headlight with brackets that run down to the crossbar.  I have never seen one in person however.

Don't know how big the PIAAs are but my Denali D1s are mounting on the lower forks where the brake line bracket guide is. Basically remove the guide and bolt in the bracket. Mounting them there allows the light to turn with the front wheel while allowing the main head lamp to project forward.

The Denali's are small LEDs but project a lot of light and so far I have not had any issues with their mounting location.

Kurt

Baron, on my old C10, I mounted my lights on a bar I made, using the 2 screws that hold the fairing to the radiator.  I took a 7/8th inch stock of square aluminum tubing I found at Home Depot.  I then measured the distance between those 2 screws I mentioned. It was something like 11 1/2", and I cut those ends at a 45 degree, to form fit the fairing.  I cut the tubing long enough to incorporate these 2 screws, but stay between the fairing edges.  I then took a longer length of tubing, and laid it right across the 1st piece of tubing, so it overhung on each side of the fairing by about 5 inches each, depending on how large your lights are.  I then drilled holes through both pieces of tubing, and ran longer screws to run into the holes, into the mounting holes at the radiator. You should now have your mounting bars for your lights, just run the wiring through the tubing, then up through the fairing to where you want your switch. I then painted the tubing black, and radiused the outer tips under the lights, so they wouldn't scratch anything I encountered, like my bare leg. I think the whole thing cost about $6

Redbarron said:
Thank You Guys, but I am to cheap to spend a $100.00 on something I could fab up from $20.00 worth of hardware.

Hence a photo of the mounting itself, I will be back in the shop Saturday to install my PIAA 530 lamps and do some repairs.

I will post pictures of the project for future reference.

Thank You
How about those photos of the install of the new lights?

I'm still looking for a good mount for my led's.  I don't know weather to mount them to the forks or the fairing now.

I should have my new lights mounted by the end of the weekend with the mounts pictured below. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be documenting the install with plenty of photos.
2-2402-51AP-M.jpg

press_release_distribution_0332267_64013-M.jpg

Mcfly said:
Alright... I'll do it....

:TPIWWP:

Ok McFly, I feel like I need to jump in here. First I already posted some photos and I said I'm doing the install this weekend. So right now it pretty difficult to post photos of something that hasn't occurred yet.  :))

Mr Orange said:
Mcfly said:

Ok McFly, I feel like I need to jump in here. First I already posted some photos and I said I'm doing the install this weekend. So right now it pretty difficult to post photos of something that hasn't occurred yet.  :))

You certainly get a pass Mr. Orange...  I look forward to your install thread, as my Connie may one
day have aux lights.....  :beerchug:

To date, I like the faring mounted light brackets best. :great:  Clean, simple, practical.... no longer being made  :'(

Mcfly said:
Mr Orange said:
Mcfly said:

You certainly get a pass Mr. Orange...  I look forward to your install thread, as my Connie may one
day have aux lights.....  :beerchug:

To date, I like the faring mounted light brackets best. :great:  Clean, simple, practical.... no longer being made  :'(

I have my driving lights (PIAA 910s) mounted high on the fairing. Are these the mounts you are talking about? I know there used to be one that mounted in front of the oil cooler. Is that the one you are referring too? The bar on the blue bike is still available.
i-9CJRWNc-M.jpg

I can't find a picture of the ACTUAL brackets, but in my search, I did find this:

279225479CAtKvz_fs.jpg

(Thanks for the pic MOB!!)

and the way to make 'em...  I'm thinkin' I may give it shot down the road.

I like the location of these on the motorcycle... I guess it's visual aesthetics....

The lights on Elvin's bike are Hella FF-200's mounted on my mount. Some of the finest driving lights ever. Unfortunately, Hella no longer makes them. Next best from Hella are the FF-50's. They are reasonable priced, but you will have to make up your own wiring from the materials furnished by Hella. The switch is not suitable for our use because it is not weather proof. You will need a "bug switch" for this.

Some FF-200's can still be found, Google around for them. If you find them (driving version - not fog) get them. You won't be sorry.

McFly,
I'm assuming you are talking about these? 

IMG_2947_1_.JPG

I'll see if I can take some close ups of them.  These are the ones Snarf was making from the Guy Young (?) design using the angle iron you showed above from the MOB post :)

Okay, you convinced me, I went outside and took a pic of my bike (luckily I rode into work today)...

Attachments

• IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 194
I'm looking for these exact ones as well.  Who else makes these on the forum??  (I've contacted Snarf many times with no response yet.)

docdan said:
I'm looking for these exact ones as well.  Who else makes these on the forum??  (I've contacted Snarf many times with no response yet.)

As far as I'm aware, no one else makes them.  The plans from Guy to make them out of angle iron used to be on the web somewhere, and that's how Snarf got the original design.  I believe I got one of the very last sets Snarf made about a year ago.  He's had a lot of long work days and family issues, as well as a crash last year that have kept him unavailable to continue his machining hobby.

Perhaps if we can find the design plans somewhere again we all can start making them out of angle iron.  Or just use the pic here as a template idea (credit to MOB):

279225778ahvbSy_fs.jpg

Rev Ryder has this concept as well, to bend an L bracket and use in a similar manner: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26814.msg272166.html#msg272166

It was covered in depth a couple months ago, there was an issue with crediting the creator irrc, I'll see if I can locate the thread, there were some great pics.

As promised here are a couple of photos showing my new mounts. I think these are going to work out real well. I didn't even have to trim the fender to get them to fit. The fender just wrapped right around them like they were meant to be there. Tomorrow I'll work on the electrics.

i-xKL9HJL-L.jpg

i-qpCDRSc-L.jpg
i-vG43ZTP-L.jpg

i-BW4KNJ9-L.jpg

VERY Nice Mr Orange...  That looks really sharp.  Seems like you've got
quite a bit of adjustability on the lights as well.  Well done sir!

Oh...  and thanks for the PICS!    ;)

Nice mounts!  But I'm getting second thoughts about mounting mine on the forks.  They seem to be more "shocked" cushioned if I mount them on the sides of the fairing.

ManWorkingHere said:
Hey Dev,

Whose lights did you install?  I like how these look.

MWH

I ordered a set of these from China via Amazon marketplace:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SAAK7G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009SAAK7G&linkCode=as2&tag=theborkeduniv-20

Took about a month to arrive, but it was far cheaper than SuperBrightLEDs for basically the same unit.  They offer a nice flood pattern, if you want something father out on the road, I'd recommend a 15 degree light verses these 30 degree ones.

Someday has come, and I went with Rev's version of The faring mount:

629B79FD-C6D1-4256-92EE-3536C2C134B8_zps5gf9woei.jpg

It's nice to have all the extra light.  AdvMonster Model 21 Spots provide the light, at about 2 amps draw.

ABEAB952-29E5-4042-8441-F3D69FE0DAD6_zpsu60quwcw.jpg

I mounted mine straight to the fairing screw and used a nylon washer to isolate them. I can also reach down and adjust on the fly with them where they are. 8)

I originally wanted to mount to the forks with a higher quality rubberized hose clamp, but decided to save the $$.  :D
I still may do that later...wrap the fork tube with some rubber and use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold the light bracket. It's a cheap alternative to a machined clamp mount.

phone72315%20076_zpsrt1nitee.jpg

phone72315%20094_zpsnj76m5us.jpg

phone72315%20095_zpsllmexncf.jpg

Nice setup Mr Orange!  What lights are those, where did u purchase them?? I think I might like to mimic your set up.

Also quick question? Those who mount lights on fork tubes, are there visual effects as fork tubes articulate on choppy roadways. Curious? Thanks.