• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Driving Lighting Wiring Help

BBear

My C10 came with switched driving lighting which never worked. Seller was not able to tell me what was the deal with them. Since I was bringing a direct power line to the heated grips, I decided to also fix the driving lights.

The original wiring installation was a mess and I could not confidently trust the work that was done, so I ended up basically stripping out all the wiring and leaving the headlights mounted.

Here are the driving lights installed - I could not locate actual manufacturer's name:

And here are the relay, relay connector and switch - I suspectit is a kit since it came with a relay connector:

After spending an entire afternoon trying to figure this out, I realized that what I need is a wiring diagram. Perhaps someone recognizes this lighting kit and has the wiring diagram. Or perhaps the wire colors are standard and someone could shed some light.

While doing some research this afternoon (lot of threads on HOW/WHERE to mount the driving lights but not a lot on how to wire them) I came across a wiring diagram for a similar product:

I suspect I need a similar diagram for my actual product so I can properly wire these.

Any input is highly appreciated. Hoping to finish this either tonight or tomorrow.

BB

BB

Direct power to accessories is not the way to go. If you accidentally leave the switch on, the accessory will have power when the key is off. Consider using a fuse block for your accessories. Run 12V from the battery to another (not the one for the lights) relay. Switch this relay with 12V from a wire that only gets power with the key on. With the fuse block set up, you now can run the wiring to the grips and the lights.

The switches in your pictures are not waterproof, but are tolerant of casual moisture. Try to locate it where direct rain won't flood it.

If I had to guess, your lights look very similar to Hella ones. Try www.hella.com for wiring instructions.

HTH

Larry_Buck_FL said:
Direct power to accessories is not the way to go. If you accidentally leave the switch on, the accessory will have power when the key is off. Consider using a fuse block for your accessories. Run 12V from the battery to another (not the one for the lights) relay. Switch this relay with 12V from a wire that only gets power with the key on. With the fuse block set up, you now can run the wiring to the grips and the lights.

Larry,

I knew about the importance of the relay and that was how i finished the wiring. All is working, I only needed a diagram to follow. Regarding the switch, it goes in the side plastic things with the pockets. I believe it should be partially weather protected in there.

Thanks for the feedback!

BB